What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

101 Best Songs of 1990 - #1 George Michael - Freedom '90 (3 Viewers)

I was working as a manager for Hungry Howie's pizza when these guys got big. A long hair dude I interviewed for a delivery driver position claimed he was their manager. I said " no wonder you're looking for another job". Ended up firing him a couple months later when he did a no call no show. Claimed it was because he was golfing with Ozzy.
Great story on the long hair but I'm way more focused on the Hungry Howie's piece. I lived off of HH in college - large with extra cheese and cajun crust for just $3.99 (they raised it to $4.99 by the time I got to grad school). I probably bought 2-3 per week, eating 2/3 for dinner and the remainder for lunch the next day. Every year I go to a conference in Orlando and my first stop is always the Howie's between the airport and my hotel. I don't even wait to check in - just down it in the car once it cools off a little. My wife even gets in on the game, bringing me back one in her carry on (wrapped in foil) when she travels back home to FL. It's so processed that it travels really well.

God I barely remember Mentirosa, but have to agree that it's a stinker. The cutesy Spanglish rhyming is not the best of schtick. Bust A Move is infinitely better.

Whoa - saw the updated thread title and boy did that bring me back to high school, cruisin around with buddies who just got their license and car. Windows open, Zimas flowing, tryin to spot some hotties on the main drag. Good times.

#99 - Mellow Man Ace - Mentirosa
Cause right now you're just a liar
a straight mentirosa
Today you tell me something
y manana es otra cosa

In contrast to the last two, I love everything about Mentirosa. Mellow Man Ace's suave Spanglish, the nostalgia of the courtroom-based music video that always played on MTV, the liberal of use of Skeezer, and so on and so on.

Mellow Man Ace was born in Cuba and moved to L.A. as a kid. Mentirosa was his only hit, reaching #14 on the Hot 100 in spring 1990.

The kind of song you like as a teenager, and that you'd like to forget ever existed thereafter.

A lot of terrible "pop-rap" in the early 90s...this qualifies as far as I'm concerned.
Different release year so not spotlighting, but my sophomore and junior year college roommate played the first Tone Loc album ALL THE D@MN TIME.

Whoa - saw the updated thread title and boy did that bring me back to high school, cruisin around with buddies who just got their license and car. Windows open, Zimas flowing, tryin to spot some hotties on the main drag. Good times.
Were you the scrub that TLC was singing about? :laugh:

#98 Eleventh Dream Day - Testify

Early on in these things, I love to dig out some old favorites from deep in the 120 Minutes vaults. Eleventh Dream Day came to Chicago via Louisville and released a couple of independent records before somehow scoring a short-lived major label deal. The resulting album, 1989's Beet , was recorded in just four days and earned some pretty good reviews. According to the Chicago Reader, this is as close to Neil Young as your likely to get in this countdown, @Pip's Invitation:

The new Eleventh Dream Day album, Beet, makes you think that this Chicago foursome have listened to only one record their entire lives. But that record was probably Rust Never Sleeps, and Beet is something to hear. Full-throated and unrelenting, and recorded at a bruising volume, it’s as formal and powerful an exposition of (non-thrash) guitar-fetish rock as you’re likely to hear anytime soon.

Testify was the only single, released in March 1990 to a minor bit of alt-radio and late-night MTV airplay. I always dug it even if don't hear the Neil Young.

Early on in these things, I love to dig out some old favorites from deep in the 120 Minutes vaults. Eleventh Dream Day came to Chicago via Louisville and released a couple of independent records before somehow scoring a short-lived major label deal. The resulting album, 1989's Beet , was recorded in just four days and earned some pretty good reviews. According to the Chicago Reader, this is as close to Neil Young as your likely to get in this countdown, @Pip's Invitation:

The new Eleventh Dream Day album, Beet, makes you think that this Chicago foursome have listened to only one record their entire lives. But that record was probably Rust Never Sleeps, and Beet is something to hear. Full-throated and unrelenting, and recorded at a bruising volume, it’s as formal and powerful an exposition of (non-thrash) guitar-fetish rock as you’re likely to hear anytime soon.

Testify was the only single, released in March 1990 to a minor bit of alt-radio and late-night MTV airplay. I always dug it even if don't hear the Neil Young.
I remember getting a sampler with one of their songs on it. Might have been this one. Don't remember anything Neil-ish about it.

#100 - Enuff Z'Nuff - Fly High Michelle

Nirvana didn't kill hair metal. This is the kind of dreck that should be held responsible instead. But god did I love these power ballads - I'm sure working with a bunch of slightly trashy big-haired girls who dressed like extras in a Motley Crue video had something to do with it. Better than Bad Love, but not by much.
I was working as a manager for Hungry Howie's pizza when these guys got big. A long hair dude I interviewed for a delivery driver position claimed he was their manager. I said " no wonder you're looking for another job". Ended up firing him a couple months later when he did a no call no show. Claimed it was because he was golfing with Ozzy.
I’d pay a lot of money to watch Ozzy bite the head off a 9-iron.

Big fan of the Beet album. I've always thought Janet Beveridge Bean to be a particularly musical sound name plus she's a singing drummer to boot.

They put out an album during the pandemic that was pretty decent.

#101 - Eric Clapton - Bad Love

I don't really like this song, so why is it here, above songs I actually like by Morrissey and Candyman? Because it helps tell the story of the death of "mainstream" rock in youth culture (exaggerating a bit, maybe?).

Bad Love, released as the second single off the 1989 album Journeyman, stayed at #1 for three weeks on Billboard's Mainstream Rock chart. Overall, it ranked #4 on the magazine's year end Rock list and Clapton took home a grammy for Best Rock Vocal Performance . Yet it peaked at #88 on the Hot 100 and I didn't know a single person my age - including classic rock classmates who loved earlier Clapton - who paid any attention to it. Sure the boomers said they liked the song (it was co-written by Mick Jones and had Phil Collins on drums and backing vocals, after all) but really, the it's just completely forgettable. Sure the opening riff is pretty good, but the rest - meh personified.

Tell me why I'm wrong?

Horrible then and hasn't aged well.

Don't think I've ever heard this. May be shukethread worthy.

Wasn't aware of this one and just listened. Good stuff (y) The drummer is definitely easy on the eyes.

I think someone captured it pretty well in the YouTube comments:

I hear Neil Young,Dinosaur Junior,The Feelies,Built To Spill ,a hint of R E M,some Sonic Youth-oh so many good influences.

Last edited:

Never heard of them but really like this song.

#97 Jon Bon Jovi - Blaze of Glory

This isn't the best song to be associated with a Young Guns movie (that would we Warren G and Nate Dogg’s Regulate) but it did go to #1 on the Hot 100 while Regulate only made it to #2. Jeff Beck played guitar and Randy Jackson played bass, in case you were wondering who filled in for Richie Sambora and Alec Such.

Video is worth it if just for the scenery (the red rocks, not Jon's flowing locks and leather vest/no shirt look).

I definitely hear the Neil influence in the guitars on this one, but not in the song structure. Which means it wasn't the one from the sampler I mentioned -- that one also had the drummer singing along with the frontman (they were married, IIRC).

This isn't the best song to be associated with a Young Guns movie (that would we Warren G and Nate Dogg’s Regulate) but it did go to #1 on the Hot 100 while Regulate only made it to #2. Jeff Beck played guitar and Randy Jackson played bass, in case you were wondering who filled in for Richie Sambora and Alec Such.

Video is worth it if just for the scenery (the red rocks, not Jon's flowing locks and leather vest/no shirt look).
Young Guns II has the distinct honor of being the only R-rated movie where I has carded and denied entry. I was 14 that summer. Normally the teenagers working the ticket counter didn't give damn who they sold tickets to. Case in point, I walked right into Young Guns I when I was 12. But on this day, I found one kid who took his job very seriously. We went back the next day and got in without a problem.

Also, being 14, I loved Blaze of Glory. I was already partial to Bon Jovi so I didn't need much convincing to think Blaze of Glory might be one of the best songs ever. My enthusiasm for it has diminished over the years, but I still don't hate it.

Last edited:
Young Guns II has the distinct honor of being the only rated R movie where I has carded and denied entry. I was 14 that summer. Normally the teenagers working the ticket counter didn't give damn who they sold tickets to. Case in point, I walked right into Young Guns I when I was 12. But on this day, I found one kid who took his job very seriously. We went back the next day and got in without a problem.
We had one of those as well. Denied me entry to Nightmare on Elm Street 3. A few months searched my gf's purse because of a bulge and confiscated my bottle of mountain dew - after sniffing it for alcohol.

#96 John Wesley Harding - The Devil in Me

Like most I’m sure, my freshman year dorm was filled with oddball characters, several of whom became some of my best friends. I’m sure I’ll be writing about them and their influence on my musical taste a bunch in this thread.

Perk was the first guy I met when I moved in, a sophomore who cackled hysterically when he found out I was gonna be Bob the Dragon’s roommate. Perk and I immediately bonded over our love for the Smiths and New Order, but being a bit more plugged in, he also turned me on to several of the bands coming up in the countdown. When he heard I liked Billy Bragg, he played a new John Wesley Harding CD for me. Being a countrified rube, I had never heard of John Wesley Harding the English singer-songwriter, John Wesley Harding the Dylan album, nor John Wesley Hardin the album’s namesake. The Devil in Me was an immediate favorite - if I had to guess, it’s his take on Sympathy for the Devil except the devil isn’t Satan but human nature.

According to Wiki, JWH moved from the UK to Philly in 2001 and has taught creative writing classes at both Swarthmore and Princeton and published several novels. Meanwhile, I’ve still never listened to that Dylan album.

Young Guns II has the distinct honor of being the only rated R movie where I has carded and denied entry. I was 14 that summer. Normally the teenagers working the ticket counter didn't give damn who they sold tickets to. Case in point, I walked right into Young Guns I when I was 12. But on this day, I found one kid who took his job very seriously. We went back the next day and got in without a problem.
We had one of those as well. Denied me entry to Nightmare on Elm Street 3. A few months searched my gf's purse because of a bulge and confiscated my bottle of mountain dew - after sniffing it for alcohol.
It’s one thing to be denied a movie with JBJ on the soundtrack, but Nightmare III had the Dokken banger Dream Warriors. Uncool, dude.

According to Wiki, JWH moved from the UK to Philly in 2001 and has taught creative writing classes at both Swarthmore and Princeton and published several novels.
All this is true, and he goes by his real name, Wesley Stace, now. My friend owns a record store in the Philly suburbs (Phoenixville) and when JWH announced on Facebook that he had made a new, self-released album, my friend reached out to him to see if he was interested in making a few copies available to be sold at the store. He was, and came out to Phoenixville to meet my friend and deliver the records.

And some day he’d have a Rest Stop named after him.

I was a big fan. I saw him at the old 9:30 club in DC when he was (supposed to be) opening for Cracker. Unfortunately he didn't have his work permitting in order and wasn't allowed to perform. So he came onstage and explained things, but did so in such a humorous way he put himself in danger of violating the work permit rules, so called it a day and left.

I was a big fan. I saw him at the old 9:30 club in DC when he was (supposed to be) opening for Cracker. Unfortunately he didn't have his work permitting in order and wasn't allowed to perform. So he came onstage and explained things, but did so in such a humorous way he put himself in danger of violating the work permit rules, so called it a day and left.
That's both awesome and disappointing at the same time.

#95 - INXS - Suicide Blonde

I still like a lot of the earlier INXS stuff and Kick had my #6 song of 1988 (Never Tear Us Apart) and will undoubtedly score a few entries if I ever get to 1987. I guess 1990's follow-up X was bound to be a commercial disappointment given its predecessor sold 14 million copies but 3.5 million is still pretty damn impressive. On the ground though, I feel like it was a letdown - I don't know anyone that played it to death like they did with Kick. For me, X was formulaic, which would have been fine if the songs were as good as before.

Suicide Blonde was the lead single and did make it to #2 in the U.S. That's all your gonna find here from this one.

I still like a lot of the earlier INXS stuff and Kick had my #6 song of 1988 (Never Tear Us Apart) and will undoubtedly score a few entries if I ever get to 1987. I guess 1990's follow-up X was bound to be a commercial disappointment given its predecessor sold 14 million copies but 3.5 million is still pretty damn impressive. On the ground though, I feel like it was a letdown - I don't know anyone that played it to death like they did with Kick. For me, X was formulaic, which would have been fine if the songs were as good as before.

Suicide Blonde was the lead single and did make it to #2 in the U.S. That's all your gonna find here from this one.
I think this is a damn good pop song.

I always thought this felt phoned in compared to their previous material.

#94 Cocteau Twins - Cherry Coloured Funk

I know there are some Cocteau Twins fans in the FFA, or at least there used to be. Their final album for legendary goth/dreampop label 4AD,, 1990’s Heaven or Las Vegas is my favorite and widely considered to be their best. I think most of us were just happy to finally be able to understand even a bit of what the heck Elizabeth Fraser was singing. Cherry Coloured Funk wasn’t one of the singles but it’s a perfect distillation of their sound.

#94 Cocteau Twins - Cherry Coloured Funk

I know there are some Cocteau Twins fans in the FFA, or at least there used to be. Their final album for legendary goth/dreampop label 4AD,, 1990’s Heaven or Las Vegas is my favorite and widely considered to be their best. I think most of us were just happy to finally be able to understand even a bit of what the heck Elizabeth Fraser was singing. Cherry Coloured Funk wasn’t one of the singles but it’s a perfect distillation of their sound.
Do artists potentially appear twice on this list or is it one and done?

Do artists potentially appear twice on this list or is it one and done?
Potentially. A couple even get three nods. But Cocteau Twins only have this one so feel free to throw out something else of theirs without fear of spotlighting.
I love the title track, I would probably have both that and "Cherry Coloured Funk" in my top 50 - but I was also 7 years old in 1990, so I'm heavily influenced by what I've discovered through music blogs/drafts here/music nerds in general - or what has held up in hindsight vs. what was actually popular at the time - because at that time I was absolutely convinced that Bryan Adams was the best artist ever.

I always thought this felt phoned in compared to their previous material.
I thought 'X' was pretty lame and disappointing, like a lot of efforts in this time period as the MTV era wore on. Good spot for this track down here in the nether regions. But, I got into INXS's follow-up to this, actually I played it for someone last year and we were surprised at how well it holds up

#93 Slaughter - Fly to the Angels

Gonna go ahead and drop some Slaughter in here while @plinko is in the house. I didn't really like anything about them in 1990 given that Mark Slaughter seemed like kind of a pretty boy, even for hair metal. One night on the way home from trivia, Plinko gave me a long history lesson on the legacy of Vinnie Vincent Invasion and Slaughter's resulting bona fides. This feels like a good place for another of the last vestiges of the scene - dude has serious pipes.

Gonna go ahead and drop some Slaughter in here while @plinko is in the house. I didn't really like anything about them in 1990 given that Mark Slaughter seemed like kind of a pretty boy, even for hair metal. One night on the way home from trivia, Plinko gave me a long history lesson on the legacy of Vinnie Vincent Invasion and Slaughter's resulting bona fides. This feels like a good place for another of the last vestiges of the scene - dude has serious pipes.
As a VVI fanboy at the time I was excited for this album but it’s mostly terrible. This and “Up All Night” are OK tunes. They lacked the punch they had with Vinnie though. Saw them at M3 a few months ago and they were the worst band of the day. Mark sounds like hell and kept trying to do this weird shriek thing. I thought about Dana Strum and how involved he was with metal in the early eighties, and here he was on the sadder levels of the senior circuit.

Anything Slaughter did after this was unlistenable to my ears..

As a VVI fanboy at the time I was excited for this album but it’s mostly terrible. This and “Up All Night” are OK tunes. They lacked the punch they had with Vinnie though. Saw them at M3 a few months ago and they were the worst band of the day. Mark sounds like hell and kept trying to do this weird shriek thing. I thought about Dana Strum and how involved he was with metal in the early eighties, and here he was on the sadder levels of the senior circuit.

Anything Slaughter did after this was unlistenable to my ears..
Guess my original statement should have been "had serious pipes."

I'm a huge fan of watching these videos again.

Also Kenny Aronoff on drums. Not sure I have this right, but wasn't Sambora on backgound vocals?

I'm a huge fan of watching these videos again.
For sure - I welcome any opportunity to watch old MTV videos.

Back in the day, I would have liked to see an octave sing-off between Mark Slaughter and the dude from Steelheart.

Users who are viewing this thread