What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

101 Best Songs of 1990 - #1 George Michael - Freedom '90 (2 Viewers)

Fly High Michele is one of the better last gasp efforts of the 80s sound.

I'm a relatively big fan of INXS. Never cared much for Suicide Blonde.

Blaze of Glory is a thousand times more preferable to hearing Wanted Dead Or Alive at this point.

Both Fly To The Angels and Never Let You Go are awesome songs

#93 Slaughter - Fly to the Angels

Gonna go ahead and drop some Slaughter in here while @plinko is in the house. I didn't really like anything about them in 1990 given that Mark Slaughter seemed like kind of a pretty boy, even for hair metal. One night on the way home from trivia, Plinko gave me a long history lesson on the legacy of Vinnie Vincent Invasion and Slaughter's resulting bona fides. This feels like a good place for another of the last vestiges of the scene - dude has serious pipes.

I liked the song, but not enough to buy the album. So I bought the cassette single. I remember thinking the B-side was a great tune ... much better than Fly to the Angels. That said, I was 14-15 so ....

Ladies and Gentlemen, I present Desperately. Sorry, no video on this one

#92 - Go West - The King of Wishful Thinking

I remember first hearing English duo Go West when they had a minor hit on pop radio with We Close Our Eyes back in 1985 (I kept getting them confused with American duo Sly Fox, who had a hit at the same time Let's Go All the Way.) Both of those bands seemed to disappear immediately - at least to my Casey Kasem-obsessed ears - until the Pretty Woman soundtrack put Go West back on the map for a short bit. Really good pop song, though I still prefer Sly Fox.

Gonna go ahead and drop some Slaughter in here while @plinko is in the house. I didn't really like anything about them in 1990 given that Mark Slaughter seemed like kind of a pretty boy, even for hair metal. One night on the way home from trivia, Plinko gave me a long history lesson on the legacy of Vinnie Vincent Invasion and Slaughter's resulting bona fides. This feels like a good place for another of the last vestiges of the scene - dude has serious pipes.

I liked the song, but not enough to buy the album. So I bought the cassette single. I remember thinking the B-side was a great tune ... much better than Fly to the Angels. That said, I was 14-15 so ....

I just think I am GD lucky to have been alive when Velcro, cassingles, and cannabis vape pens were all invented.

Best Cassingle B-Sides is a thread I can get behind

I remember first hearing English duo Go West when they had a minor hit on pop radio with We Close Our Eyes back in 1985 (I kept getting them confused with American duo Sly Fox, who had a hit at the same time Let's Go All the Way.) Both of those bands seemed to disappear immediately - at least to my Casey Kasem-obsessed ears - until the Pretty Woman soundtrack put Go West back on the map for a short bit. Really good pop song, though I still prefer Sly Fox.

#4 with a bullet on my daughter's British Isles Top 31

This might have slipped into the next decade, but man does that song/video scream 1980s.

ETA: also weird that the guitarist's last name is Drummie

Slaughter.

Oh wow. Last I remember Slaughter, they were involved in smashing a cassette against the ground repeatedly with a hockey stick. Not to their music in the background. But their cassette.

Up all night
Sleep all day

As a VVI fanboy at the time I was excited for this album but it’s mostly terrible. This and “Up All Night” are OK tunes. They lacked the punch they had with Vinnie though. Saw them at M3 a few months ago and they were the worst band of the day. Mark sounds like hell and kept trying to do this weird shriek thing. I thought about Dana Strum and how involved he was with metal in the early eighties, and here he was on the sadder levels of the senior circuit.

Anything Slaughter did after this was unlistenable to my ears..

After posting my little story, I was afraid to read these comments, but now I feel justified.

*Phew*

1990 was an interesting developmental year for me, apparently. Certainly one could say I was honing my critical skills for adulthood. It was a whole lotta fun, that I remember.

An unforeseen future nestled somewhere in time. . .

1990. Since there's no thrash in the countdown, I'll say that we all went to the Suicidal Tendencies/Testament show at the end of 1990 and had a blast. Pantera opened. This is decades before the tragedy and the subsequent sad nods towards the previously unspoken and horrible elements of their crowds would emerge. What a glorious metal band they were at their peak. What a tragic reflection of the white underclass they were at their nadir.

But those more recent memories give way -- for a moment and nothing more than that -- to how sick of a show all around that was.

There's one. Just one. I liked earlier skate rat suicidal tendencies but never appreciated when they went metal.

I saw your mommy and your mommy's dead.

I will try not to ruin the one, then.

Suicidal was interesting in both iterations, IMO. Like most things metal/punk, they were a little sharper and funnier lyrically when they were punk, a little more proficient with music when they were metal. Then Cyco Miko took himself too seriously and they got really -- really just sort of. . .well. . .dumb.

But their 1990 output figured heavily in my listening for that year. It was the beginning of their decline, where their sort of social satirization got a little more overt and on the nose rather than being cleverly or grossly worded. My Suicidal t-shirts are all over our yearbook for some reason. Probably because I was always wearing them or something. Boy, was I thin then.

And that's all. Let you guys get back to the countdown.

Back in the day, I would have liked to see an octave sing-off between Mark Slaughter and the dude from Steelheart.
Steelheart won't be in the countdown but does earn a special sidebar shoutout at some point.
Just listened again to that last note of "I'll Never Let You Go". Cleared out my ear wax.
There were a few guys that could sing legit. Saw Kingdom Come live and the vocals were on the money

Desperately is my favorite tune from that album. This old metal head still listens to that album a few times a year. Not ashamed even if I should be.

#91 Anything Box - Living in Oblivion

Ahh, the late 80s, when two synthpop loving teens from North Jersey could put out a demo that sounded like vintage Erasure, score a major label deal, and release a debut record the next year whose lead single was beloved by a bunch of mopey teens at an under-21 nightclub in Ocean City, MD. I still adore this one.

#90 The Cure - Never Enough

I feel like Never Enough is one of the forgotten big hits by the Cure. It reached #1 on the Modern Rock charts but it’s not a mainstay on their setlists and I never hear fans clamoring to hear Never Enough or counting it among their favorites. I think maybe it’s because it was the lone original track on 1990’s remix album Mixed Up - a record that a lot of us bought but very few played more than a couple of times.

ETA: The video is super bizarre (including strange beavis-like sounds) and I don't remember it at all.

#90 The Cure - Never Enough

I feel like Never Enough is one of the forgotten big hits by the Cure. It reached #1 on the Modern Rock charts but it’s not a mainstay on their setlists and I never hear fans clamoring to hear Never Enough or counting it among their favorites. I think maybe it’s because it was the lone original track on 1990’s remix album Mixed Up - a record that a lot of us bought but very few played more than a couple of times.

ETA: The video is super bizarre (including strange beavis-like sounds) and I don't remember it at all.

perhaps their filthiest/grimiest tune ... nah, scratch that, it IS their filthiest/grimiest ... think Smiffy were vibing to some of the industrial cats, etc, on his down time ... it's also swampy and sweaty, and were a yuuge fave in the clubs 'round here (when i were sober enuff to recall)

loved when they stepped out like this ... they were a bunch more versatile than folk give 'em credit for.

Guilty pleasure here.

#89 The Lemonheads - Different Drum

This has almost become schtick now, but I had no idea that Different Drum was a cover when I first fell for it. Hell, I probably didn't even figure it out until the I got SiriusXM a decade later and heard Linda Ronstadt's voice belting it out when flipping channels. I'm sure the rest of the music nerds here knew Different Drum was written by the dude from the Monkees, first appeared on their variety show in 1967, became a top-20 hit for the Stone Poneys a year later, and then got covered by what looks like a dozen other artists in the ensuing years.

This was my first dip into the Lemonheads and I immediately fell for Evan Dando's voice and power pop hooks. I guess he's kind-of dreamy too.

Great stuff those Lemonheads, I was fully into them as they blew up a few years later and I got to see them open for Soul Asylum. Druggy and earnest, relaxed and energetic all at the same time, I think they’re pretty underrated. Gen X music in a nutshell

Great stuff those Lemonheads, I was fully into them as they blew up a few years later and I got to see them open for Soul Asylum. Druggy and earnest, relaxed and energetic all at the same time, I think they’re pretty underrated. Gen X music in a nutshell
Couldn't agree more with this, gb. Then again, I never love-loved grunge and Lemonheads are the exact kind of thing I was turning to at the time.

#89 The Lemonheads - Different Drum

This has almost become schtick now, but I had no idea that Different Drum was a cover when I first fell for it. Hell, I probably didn't even figure it out until the I got SiriusXM a decade later and heard Linda Ronstadt's voice belting it out when flipping channels. I'm sure the rest of the music nerds here knew Different Drum was written by the dude from the Monkees, first appeared on their variety show in 1967, became a top-20 hit for the Stone Poneys a year later, and then got covered by what looks like a dozen other artists in the ensuing years.

This was my first dip into the Lemonheads and I immediately fell for Evan Dando's voice and power pop hooks. I guess he's kind-of dreamy too.

YAAASSSSS!

this were soooo goodt

moar later, but thanks for the quick memory! EVAN 🍋

Vanilla Ice - Ice Ice Baby: I remember the first time I heard this on the radio in my own Mustang (definitely not the 5.0). I knew it was terrible and made a gas-face whenever it got played in my presence. I feel like somehow it's had a guilty pleasure resurgence. I mean, I change the station immediately if MC Hammer's U Can't Touch This (also from 1990) comes on, but today, I'll ride with Ice and rap right along with him. Yeah, I know, it still sucks though.
The Under Pressure bassline is hard to resist in any context, so one cannot be blamed for not changing the channel. Ice Ice Baby is, was and always has been terrible, though.
It's funny, because Ice Ice Baby is probably the prototypical example of a song that was briefly super popular, but everyone retroactively disowns it. Not questioning the memories of anyone in this thread, but I did chuckle internally a few years back when my older sister declared that she always hated this song, because I have a memory of her and her friends loudly rapping along with it on the way to school burned into my brain.

Made sure to verify they weren't '90, but the two Spin Doctors hits come to mind for me as songs that I can't believe I used to like.

Vanilla Ice - Ice Ice Baby: I remember the first time I heard this on the radio in my own Mustang (definitely not the 5.0). I knew it was terrible and made a gas-face whenever it got played in my presence. I feel like somehow it's had a guilty pleasure resurgence. I mean, I change the station immediately if MC Hammer's U Can't Touch This (also from 1990) comes on, but today, I'll ride with Ice and rap right along with him. Yeah, I know, it still sucks though.
The Under Pressure bassline is hard to resist in any context, so one cannot be blamed for not changing the channel. Ice Ice Baby is, was and always has been terrible, though.
It's funny, because Ice Ice Baby is probably the prototypical example of a song that was briefly super popular, but everyone retroactively disowns it. Not questioning the memories of anyone in this thread, but I did chuckle internally a few years back when my older sister declared that she always hated this song, because I have a memory of her and her friends loudly rapping along with it on the way to school burned into my brain.

Made sure to verify they weren't '90, but the two Spin Doctors hits come to mind for me as songs that I can't believe I used to like.
I agree, I liked that album at the time but it has not aged well is an understatement. Same with their buddies Blues Traveler IMO…

I agree, I liked that album at the time but it has not aged well is an understatement. Same with their buddies Blues Traveler IMO…
Bill grahams son was a college classmate, and managed blues traveler while we were in college (and after). I may have seen both those bands more than any other band while they were still smaller. Fun live jam bands for white folk, bt especially. But yeah... Haven't aged super well.

If I was smashing Slaughter tapes with a hockey stick, imagine how I felt when all the kids walked into school one day wearing their Vanilla Ice shirts from the show he'd put on in good old HTFD, CT.

I had a field day that day, and the memory specifically goes, "Oh yeah, you listen to bands called The Ramones. They're a bunch of losers."

Oh, okay. They were wearing Hammer pants unironically.

Stop. Collaborate. Listen.

#88 - Aerosmith - What it Takes

Aerosmith is one of those bands that's hard to ignore in a 1990 retrospective even if it means including another ear-pleasing but by-the-numbers power ballad. I know the band likes to claim that kicking drugs was the primary factor in their late 80s commercial revival, but I have to think that bringing on pop savants like Desmond Child, Jim Vallance, and others as co-writers probably had more to do with it. What it Takes was the third single released from 1989's multi-platinum Pump, hitting #1 on the Billboard Mainstream Rock Chart and squeaking into the Top 10 on the Hot 100 in spring 1990.

In my case, I think I was more likely to pretend to hate some of the cheesy stuff as a teenager. Then again, I was cultivating the alt-vibe thing, so admitting to liking cheesy R&B ballads, teen pop, or (god-forbid) Poison may have put me on the outs (never Vanilla Ice though, I swear). Now I freely embrace my love of Debbie Gibson. Hell, my little used alias is Peabo Bryson.

Aerosmith is one of those bands that's hard to ignore in a 1990 retrospective even if it means including another ear-pleasing but by-the-numbers power ballad. I know the band likes to claim that kicking drugs was the primary factor in their late 80s commercial revival, but I have to think that bringing on pop savants like Desmond Child, Jim Vallance, and others as co-writers probably had more to do with it. What it Takes was the third single released from 1989's multi-platinum Pump, hitting #1 on the Billboard Mainstream Rock Chart and squeaking into the Top 10 on the Hot 100 in spring 1990.

Probably my favorite Aerosmith song.
There are only 5-10 Aerosmith songs I don't hate and this is one of them.

In my case, I think I was more likely to pretend to hate some of the cheesy stuff as a teenager. Then again, I was cultivating the alt-vibe thing, so admitting to liking cheesy R&B ballads, teen pop, or (god-forbid) Poison may have put me on the outs (never Vanilla Ice though, I swear). Now I freely embrace my love of Debbie Gibson. Hell, my little used alias is Peabo Bryson.
Same sister had a Look What the Cat Dragged In poster in her room. She at least admits to that one though :lmao:

Aerosmith were the kings of mainstream-friendly, pop-ish rock for almost two decades, starting with Permanent Vacation. Pump cemented that. Top to bottom, even today I think it's a really good album. I wouldn't categorize myself as a big Aerosmith fan, but I do respect that they recognized their niche, and then dominated it like no others. And like Scorchy said, that has a lot to do with bringing in great writers and producers.

Probably my favorite Aerosmith song.
mine too. Really like the lyrics and his delivery.

The words perfectly sum up the feeling my son has had for the last freaking 8 months. Poor guy

Tell me what it takes to let you go
Tell me how the pain's supposed to go
Tell me how it is that you can sleep in the night
Without thinking you lost everything that was
Good in your life to the toss of the dice?
Tell me what it takes to let you go

and

Girl, before I met you
I was F-I-N-E, fine
But your love made me a prisoner
Yeah my heart's been doing time
You spent me up like money
Then you hung me out to dry

As far as '80s and '90s Aerosmith power ballads go, this one is ... not the worst.

I loved Poison. In eighth grade. Look What The Cat Dragged In is a glam classic. They really played it to the hilt with that first album. Were they cynical? Probably. Awful? Maybe. But young rock was a fan and continued to be through tenth grade or so. My music friends back then were really cool and forgave my glam tendencies. But I never saw too much wrong with Poison. They were Sunset Strip/L.A. all the way.

Last edited:
The movie Adventureland has the greatest time capsule Poison moment ever. It’s the beginning to the “I Want Action” video where there is a black background with pink lips going “Ooh let me tell you what I want.”

Anyway by 1990 Poison was not the type of music I liked, and my attitude towards them hardened a bit, but I never could totally hate them.

The movie Adventureland has the greatest time capsule Poison moment ever. It’s the beginning to the “I Want Action” video where there is a black background with pink lips going “Ooh let me tell you what I want.”

Anyway by 1990 Poison was not the type of music I liked, and my attitude towards them hardened a bit, but I never could totally hate them.
Adventureland has one of the best soundtracks ever (once you include songs in the movie but not on the official CD). Not just Poison, but the comical use of Rock Me Amadeus, JaMC, Husker Du. The hottest was definitely Lisa P dancing to Let the Music Play by Shannon then Point of No Return by Expose, and the Mary Jane Girls were in there somewhere too,

Also, I love a few Poison songs (Fallen Angel ftw) and there'll be one coming up that I think is way better than people give it credit for being. But most others - I can't. Was watching the new Dio doc the other day and a bunch of metal dudes were ripping on Unskinny Bop - that one may be the worst.

I can definitely say that even my teenage self viewed Unskinny Bop as an abomination

Yeah, not to be in lockstep here, but that was just never me, either. I hated that song. I didn't like that album almost at all. Much like Faster Pussycat, they were much better during their initial burst when different people were helping them write their songs (or they were -- ahem -- writing their songs differently).

Users who are viewing this thread