What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Alexander Mattison, LV (1 Viewer)

I also think Akers is not very good and shouldn’t take too many of Mattison’s wor
Really? I don't see why the Vikings make this trade unless they feel he is the better talent.
They swapped draft picks - not exactly a huge trade.
Do we know what round pick it is they are swapping?

Vikings 2026 6th rounder for Akers and Rams 2026 7th rounder.

So basically rams gave him away for free.
thats definitely probably (guessing) the smallest value to possibly be traded in the nfl.

I also think Akers is not very good and shouldn’t take too many of Mattison’s wor
Really? I don't see why the Vikings make this trade unless they feel he is the better talent.
I place a little more weight on the pick swap than most people. Akers was clearly headed to waivers but they were willing to acquire his services with the deal. Definitely not a huge investment but they still lost draft capital to get him. This tells me they thought there was a chance they wouldn’t get him on waivers.

I place a little more weight on the pick swap than most people. Akers was clearly headed to waivers but they were willing to acquire his services with the deal. Definitely not a huge investment but they still lost draft capital to get him. This tells me they thought there was a chance they wouldn’t get him on waivers.
It definitely means they thought they might not get him on waivers. But they paid a pittance to acquire him. I said earlier I wonder if Mattison might still be banged up and not recovered from his pre season injury and they have zero faith in the current backup situation (Chandler barely saw the field last week).

Akers looked atrocious week 1 - he averaged less than 2 yards a carry on 20 carries.

While Mattison might not be the player the Vikings had hoped, he is a far better option than Akers.

I roster Mattison as well. Been pretty disappointing start - I personally viewed him as a Rachaad White... lesser talent, but big volume guy on a better offense(Min vs TB). Some things just don't workout.

My personal plan is to hope he does really well this week in a perfect matchup - with Akers being so new Mattison should still get most if not all the work. After that, SELL for whatever I can get.

Now I feel really guilty for trading Mattison for Kamara last week ... Like I gave him a dead horse ...

As for Ackers vs Mattison RB Roles...I think KOC will find value in Ackers in some schemes that Mattison was not hitting the holes with burst.
Ackers might not be top tier (or even 2nd tier), he can do some thing Mattison was showing he could not accomplish (between the tackles).
I see a limited value for both. RBBC in 2 weeks and both get 5-10 touches ... nothing GL or Red Zone related ... TJ Hoch, JJ & Addison will be primary TD options.

Well now it's go time and Mattison has to show it this weekend. I don't think anyone knows how the Akers / Mattison backfield will work out but the Vikes actively brought in a player (for next to nothing) but is it to be a backup? starter? I'm not sure the Vikes even know but it shows they likely are happy with the production in the backfield so to me this weekend is a huge weekend for Mattison to try and plant his flag on the job. Should be an interesting situation to watch....

While Mattison might not be the player the Vikings had hoped, he is a far better option than Akers.
I roster Mattison in a league and I’m not even convinced of this. I have a feeling he’s not startable in a couple weeks.
Because Akers will leap frog him? Or he just doesn’t perform?
I think it’s certainly plausible that Akers eventually leapfrogs him because of him under-performing.

I have Mattison in my flex for week 3 because I don’t see Akers getting more than a handful of carries in his first game. But beyond that, I’m not optimistic.

It definitely means they thought they might not get him on waivers. But they paid a pittance to acquire him. I said earlier I wonder if Mattison might still be banged up and not recovered from his pre season injury and they have zero faith in the current backup situation (Chandler barely saw the field last week).

Akers looked atrocious week 1 - he averaged less than 2 yards a carry on 20 carries.

What has Mattison ever did to say this? Hes been a career backup and never had the 6 weeks stretch like Akers had last year. Not saying Akers is good but I dont know how anyone can say Mattison is far better than him.

I dont see this as any type of replacement for Mattison. The Vikings drafted DeWayne McBride and he ended up on the practice squad. Im surprised they didnt acquire a RB sooner, for depth, not as a starter. Akers has shown flashes and obviously KOC is familiar with him. Seems to make sense for everyone involved.

Obviously, Akers & McVay fell out for the last time. The Rams just wanted Akers out of their building. Kevin O'Connell, the Rams former OC, knows the player very well. Unlikely just a coincidence he lands there. Could be O'Connell is simply doing his old mentor a favor, moving some baggage for him. Akers is given a fair chance but likely cut end of season, perhaps sooner? Or, he knows the tension between the two & thinks he can bridge this problem. Knowing the player 1st hand, believes he can still play. Which is it?

The Vikings o-line is in complete shambles right now. Pair that with the fact that this coaching staff is enamored with throwing the ball 70% of the time, you get Mattison's production. Bringing in Akers does not change the fact that the Vikings are completely uninterested, and incapable, of running the football. Mattison has his limitations, but he is not as bad as his stats have been thus far.

Obviously, Akers & McVay fell out for the last time. The Rams just wanted Akers out of their building. Kevin O'Connell, the Rams former OC, knows the player very well. Unlikely just a coincidence he lands there. Could be O'Connell is simply doing his old mentor a favor, moving some baggage for him. Akers is given a fair chance but likely cut end of season, perhaps sooner? Or, he knows the tension between the two & thinks he can bridge this problem. Knowing the player 1st hand, believes he can still play. Which is it?
Id say him doing a favor to McVay makes little sense. OConnell has his own job to worry about now.

Vikings offensive coordinator Wes Phillips says the team hasn’t lost confidence in Alexander Mattison following the trade for Cam Akers.
Maybe the Vikings haven’t lost confidence in Mattison, but it’s hard to imagine they love what they’ve seen so far. Through two games, the Vikings rank dead last in EPA per rush (-0.596) and Mattison has a mere 19 rushes for 61 yards (3.2 YPC) to show for his efforts. He’s also just one of two running backs (min. 15 attempts) to fail to record a missed tackle forced per PFF. The Vikings gave up nothing to acquire Akers, swapping future 2026 sixth-round picks with the Rams to get the deal done. Despite Phillips’ comments, it’s possible Akers gets every chance to takeover as the Vikes’ RB1, as Mattison has done little to prove he should remain in the role.

I see it as O’Connell is familiar with Akers, Akers is familiar with the system, and Vikings aren’t happy with backups.

They got him for free essentially so why not try add perceived value to the running back room?

I just am not understanding some believing this trade means Akers becomes the starter or leads in backfield touches. Wouldn’t be surprised to see him get 25% of snaps at all. But also wouldn’t be surprised if he doesn’t pan out as a backup either.

What we know at the moment is that Mattison knows the playbook better than Akers. That said, what does the Vikings OC do in the next couple of weeks? Does he identify a dozen or so plays that Akers can handle right away? How long does it take to learn the playbook well enough to get 20 touches? How familiar is the offensive system to Akers?

What we know at the moment is that Mattison knows the playbook better than Akers. That said, what does the Vikings OC do in the next couple of weeks? Does he identify a dozen or so plays that Akers can handle right away? How long does it take to learn the playbook well enough to get 20 touches? How familiar is the offensive system to Akers?
I feel Akers being new to the offense is being over stated. Akers should be extremely knowledgeable of the offense. He worked with the head coach for two year and( I think )the oc for two years as well. Timing with the qb and feel for the oline will take a while though. That’s where he’ll need time to gel if he’s going to be given a shot at the lead role.

Mattison ran hard, which I think he always does.

The difference in this game is he actually had some creases to run though. I dont think he had much blocking to work with in previous 2 games.

The Chargers defense from what I saw had a lot of light boxes as well. They ran a lot of twists and stunts, somewhat similar to what the Vikings defense was trying to do. This leaves a lot of open running lanes where Mattison could just hit the crease without needing to change durection much and gain yards after contact with a full head of steam.

He isnt really a RB who creates on his own.

Alexander Mattison rushed 20 times for 93 yards in the Vikings’ Week 3 loss to the Chargers, adding five receptions for 32 additional yards.

An inoffensive box score, but not one that includes Mattison’s red zone drop, two reversed fumbles, and blue tent visit. It was a brutal performance even if it was by far Mattison’s best statistical day of the season. It came with Cam Akers serving as a healthy scratch as he gets up to speed on the Vikings’ playbook, but Akers will be ready to go in Week 4 against the Panthers. We wouldn’t be surprised if Akers were immediately installed as the leader of this committee.
- Rotoworld
I said the same thing in the game thread. It's really suprising how many mistakes this guy makes, and he's not new to the team/offense. Akers doesn't really offer that much as a passcatcher, but I wouldn't be stunned if he got a good amount of the early down work next week.

Alexander Mattison played on 33-of-48 snaps in Week 4’s win over the Panthers.

Week 4 marked Mattison’s first game sharing a backfield with Cam Akers, but his 69 percent snap share was only a slight drop from the 77 percent snap share he had entering the day. Mattison played well enough with his opportunities on the day, rushing 17 times for 95 yards and will likely serve as the lead back in Week 5 against the Chiefs. Akers turned in a solid 5/40 rushing line, but may need a Mattison implosion before the team considers turning to him on a more consistent basis.

As mentioned in the WW thread, I'm thinking of grabbing Chandler just in case Mattison continues to struggle.

Anyone who has watched the Vikings try to run the ball knows he is not an RB1. So sad to get to the 1 yard line and still have almost no chance to run it in. Based on volume, I guess still an RB2 though.

Vikings RB Alexander Mattison (ankle) was not at the Vikings’ walk-thru on Wednesday.

Head coach Kevin O’Connell wouldn’t yet rule out Mattison for Sunday’s game; however, it seems like the plan is for Ty Chandler to lead the backfield regardless. “We’re kind of building with the mindset that Ty is going to be a guy we’re trying to get the ball to a lot, both in the run and the pass,” said O’Connell. “If we have Alex that’s going to be a huge bonus for the depth and making sure we have our full group available.” It seems like Mattison will be a back-up even if he’s healthy enough to play which means he’s not likely to be a fantasy asset for anybody in the playoffs.

Vikings RB Alexander Mattison (ankle) was not at the Vikings’ walk-thru on Wednesday.

Head coach Kevin O’Connell wouldn’t yet rule out Mattison for Sunday’s game; however, it seems like the plan is for Ty Chandler to lead the backfield regardless. “We’re kind of building with the mindset that Ty is going to be a guy we’re trying to get the ball to a lot, both in the run and the pass,” said O’Connell. “If we have Alex that’s going to be a huge bonus for the depth and making sure we have our full group available.” It seems like Mattison will be a back-up even if he’s healthy enough to play which means he’s not likely to be a fantasy asset for anybody in the playoffs.
He takes a backseat anyway IMO. It only helps Chandler if he sits in a tough matchup.

He takes a backseat anyway IMO. It only helps Chandler if he sits in a tough matchup.

Yes tough matchup for sure. Is Chandler a RB2 in your book? I play in ppr and probably with start him over Montgomery if Mattison sits this week.

per Sleeperbot "Vikings informed RB Alexander Mattison today that they are releasing him"
and that surprised like nobody. how many games did this guy cost the vikes this year with his fumblitis?

per Sleeperbot "Vikings informed RB Alexander Mattison today that they are releasing him"
and that surprised like nobody. how many games did this guy cost the vikes this year with his fumblitis?
I'm a little surprised if only because they save basically no money doing it. Like, they could have easily kept him as an RB3 for the money they saved.

ETA: Not that I'm saying he's good or anything. Also, I'd be looking to sell right now on Ty Chandler.

I'm a little surprised if only because they save basically no money doing it. Like, they could have easily kept him as an RB3 for the money they saved.
Agreed, that part was very surprising.

Never sold on this guy. Not sold now. If he does anything, it'll be based on pure volume. He's not that great of a runner.

Never said that. In fact, I specifically allowed for volume. That said, if one isn't very good, one is a heartbeat from getting replaced at RB in the NFL. The best way to ensure consistent volume is to be very good and healthy. Even then, you're subject to coaching whims, but I prefer good running backs to average-to-bad ones, all other things constant. (They're never constant, but you know what I'm saying.)

There are other guys in the range he's being drafted that I prefer.

Was going to pull a receipt on somebody who just kept dogging me in the thread about Mattison, especially how he compared to Rachaad White. I'll just let it go. The above quotes are what I said.

Released today. They just wanted to get rid of him. He was slow and not very good this year—and never has been. Sorry.

Once Cook was gone I cringed at what some were giving up for Mattison.
Everyone thought Mattison and Pollard were studs when they were playing 2nd fiddle. Neither showed very much when they had to carry the load.
Let's not lump Pollard in with Mattison. Pollard was still a solid RB last year, just not the efficiency stud he was in 2022. Mattison was bad by any measure. Mattison will be lucky to catch on as a #2 RB, Pollard will be a week 1 starter somewhere.

Once Cook was gone I cringed at what some were giving up for Mattison.
The second Cook left I was able to sell AM for Mike Williams & a 2025 1st.

Some here thought i got the worst of that deal. :oldunsure:

Williams torn ACL didn’t help me, but that 1st is looking better and better. And I’d rather have MW than Mattison right now.

In another league imma try to move Ty for picks ASAP.

He has always done well when he got 18+ carries, the same way many in previous eras would.

They too wouldn't do well with less unless they broke one.
For this reason, they were always done once they were backups

It does occur to me that there’s a non-zero chance Ty is the starter next year.

They’ll have to pinch some pennies based on Cousins alleged contract demands, and Ty does know the offense.

MIN has also de-emphasized the run game a bit since moving on from Cook.

I can see a scenario where the Vikes roll the dice with Chandler & spend a later round pick on a backup who could get a shot if Chandler is on a short leash.

Not making a prediction - just saying I could see a chance that Ty remains the starter. It wouldn’t be crazy, given their other needs.

He has always done well when he got 18+ carries, the same way many in previous eras would.

They too wouldn't do well with less unless they broke one.
For this reason, they were always done once they were backups

You're advocating giving this slow guy more carries to increase his effectiveness?

That's not the way they're playing football anymore. The analytics-dominated guys in Minnesota certainly aren't going to do that. They're throwing or giving the ball to highly efficient backs. This plodder is neither efficient nor a receiver, so he ain't touching the ball anymore for them.

Users who are viewing this thread