What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2023 Philadelphia Eagles - Complete waste of a season finally comes to an end. (7 Viewers)

Get hired as an offensive guru and immediately have to give up offensive play calling duties-strike 1
SB appearnace
Lemme see if I understand this

• Coach acknowledges the team would be better off if someone else takes over play calling. Coach pushing his ego aside ends up being right choice and team goes to Super Bowl.

Thats a bad thing?

Leadership isnt always about winning, leadership is often about playing +EV. You make the best decisions you can when you can.

There are multiple coaches available who do multiple.things better than nick.. why keep him? What exactly does he do well? He doesn't call plays on offense. He doesn't do defense. I'm not sure what he does at all honestly
Name multiple coaches available who took their team to the Super Bowl last year and the playoffs this year.
Again, I think he won't be fired unless he's lost the locker room.... and Lurie will have that answer and act accordingly. I'm in your camp though, I think he hasn't lost them and we should keep him. But there IS a possibility he's not here next year, even if it's small.

Get hired as an offensive guru and immediately have to give up offensive play calling duties-strike 1
SB appearnace
Lemme see if I understand this

• Coach acknowledges the team would be better off if someone else takes over play calling. Coach pushing his ego aside ends up being right choice and team goes to Super Bowl.

Thats a bad thing?

Leadership isnt always about winning, leadership is often about playing +EV. You make the best decisions you can when you can.

There are multiple coaches available who do multiple.things better than nick.. why keep him? What exactly does he do well? He doesn't call plays on offense. He doesn't do defense. I'm not sure what he does at all honestly
Name multiple coaches available who took their team to the Super Bowl last year and the playoffs this year.
Again, I think he won't be fired unless he's lost the locker room.... and Lurie will have that answer and act accordingly. I'm in your camp though, I think he hasn't lost them and we should keep him. But there IS a possibility he's not here next year, even if it's small.
Yep. Me too.

Nobody knows anything with 100% certainty in the NFL. There is no "sure thing".
I think if you feel this way, then using terms like "no way", "won't happen", and "0.0%" don't really match that point of view. As someone who people (myself included) trust and listen to for advice on this sport, it's disappointing to hear you talk in such absolute terms like this.

"0.0% Chance" just seems like an odd take for someone who also says "Nobody knows anything with 100% certainty in the NFL"... do you agree?

Sorry if that was confusing. I don't have omnipotent knowledge with 100% certainty. I don't think anyone else does either. I assumed people understood that.

I don’t know man. I think the chances are very good that Belichick would come here.

To be clear, I don’t want Sirianni fired, and I don’t want BB to come here. However, the Eagles organization from Lurie to Howie has always seemed to be interested in doing things the Patriots way. You’ve already got Matt Patricia, his best defensive coordinator of the past, in the building. You’ve got Josh McDaniels, his best offensive coordinator of years past, out there are not working currently. And let’s be honest, Belichick wants to go somewhere that he can rip off 15 wins and break Don Shula’s record. This team would offer that right out of the gate. He’s not looking to build a new team, he’s looking to win now.
I'm not sure I agree with the bolded.

When Lurie bought the team, he wanted to model the franchise on the 49ers. When the 49ers top offensive assistants opted for other opportunities, Lurie hired their defensive coordinator, Ray Rhodes. By the late '90s, the 49ers tree was fully integrated into the Packers, and Lurie plucked Andy Reid from there. The driving impetus after Reid was fired was to find someone "innovative". Like Reid had been. The driving impetus after Chip Kelly was fired, and after Doug was fired as well, was to find someone who was "innovative" but would work in tandem with the front office and not insist on running the show themselves. Like all franchises that aren't completely out to lunch, they have borrowed some ideas from the Patriots on how to build a sustained winning culture, but I don't thing the big picture suggests that "they have always seemed to be interested in doing things the Patriots way."

Yep. They seem hell bent on getting the Mike McDaniel, Sean McVeigh, Kyle Shanahan type of HC. I can’t necessarily disagree with their logic there either. If they move on from Sirianni, who’s that guy? Johnson from Detroit is all I could see.
THey are not moving on from Nick. This is ridiculous. Super Bowl appearance, lose BOTH coordinators, then still make the playoffs with such poor talent/depth on defense. No way. If anything Nick should be coach of the year.

Sometimes people act like all smart choices work out. Its very possible both coordinators Nick chose fissile out. It happens. It doesnt mean fire the coach on first mistake. I would wager Nick gets at least 2 more years even if he misses the playoffs next season.
I mean I agree, I don’t think it would be fair to fire Nick. But Lurie is in the building and sees what’s happening behind closed doors. If the players are simply tuning Nick out and not buying what he’s selling anymore (which is what it looks like) Lurie will absolutely zip him.
Its been my observation that if anything, Lurie is a patient and 'late to act' manager
Let me put it this way. From people I know after they won the SB Lurie wanted to fire DC Jimschwartz. He was embarassed how bad the defense played on a national level. He didn’t only because of how late in hiring process they were and no great canditates. Schwartz stayed a bit longer and my coworkers son Position coach he was an assistant left the next year do to Schwartz staying. Final year Schwartz was lazy slept in his office during meetings etc to the point my coworkers son coached the defense on game days the final year. Schwartz left for the “Urban Meyer health reasons” but he had become lazy and was just a ******** excuse most people outside the team would take as a good excuse to leave.

So Lurie can be patient but from people I’ve talked to over the past week he’s ****ing pissed off. He knows this team does well the city does better. They are the flag bear of sports teams in this city in terms of success. A lot will depend on this game and how they do and what Nick does in the exit interview

Most Eagles fans that follow the team closely, and have for years/decades, recognized a team that was in the midst of a disastrous collapse 2 months ago.

Fans of other teams (not just Joe) that saw it from the outside as just a little slump against decent teams repeatedly kept coming around stating with absolute certainty that what we were saying was happening and would happen was not a possibility.

Some were doing it due to naïveté. If you haven’t lived through the daily grind of the Kotite era, Bobby Hoying as your franchise QB, Andy Reid’s early career time management, etc., you just won’t have the same “insider” perspective. Stating 100% absolutes that are positive in nature about this team is a hubris only an “outsider” could possess.

From the outside, there’s a talented roster of offensive players, a cupcake schedule to end the year, and a coach/QB combo with an absurd winning percentage. So it will be all good, right? But from the inside, it was 11 weeks of “not playing a complete game yet.” The offense and defense both had multiple, questionable performances but not usually on the same day (except for the NYJ game), which kept up the illusion. The run game, and particularly the OLine, was not able to dominate when needed to sustain a drive after long defensive possession, or to close out in the 4th with a lead. Weapons like Goedert and Swift would disappear for stretches of GAMES, not series. The situational play calling, on both sides, was maddening since week 1. And on and on and on.

Now, others were doing the “They are fine. This team is great. They will win.” deliberately to be able to take shots at a rival team/fan base in a subversive way. And I respect it; I’m never above pulling out a classic reverse jinx.

TL;DR - Should not happen >>> Will not happen.:shrug:
Couple of points

Eagles fans who lived through Kotite should be grateful for Lurie, Roseman, and now Nick.

Our schedule this year was record hard IIRC.

Since when is winning games ugly a bad thing?

No one is saying the team is fine, not even rainbow homer pants me. However, there is a difference between a late season collapse and firing an entire staff because of when in the season we lost games and /only/ making the playoffs.

PLEASE PHILLY FANS, I LIVE IN NEW ENGLAND AND IM BEGGING YOU ALL NOT TO TURN INTO UNGRATEFUL PATRIOTS FANS

glll peas!!1!!11!

:ptts:
If anything, UNGRATEFUL PATRIOT FAN is the grandchild of UNGRATEFUL PHILLY FAN.

I think if you feel this way, then using terms like "no way", "won't happen", and "0.0%" don't really match that point of view. As someone who people (myself included) trust and listen to for advice on this sport, it's disappointing to hear you talk in such absolute terms like this.

"0.0% Chance" just seems like an odd take for someone who also says "Nobody knows anything with 100% certainty in the NFL"... do you agree?

Sorry if that was confusing. I don't have omnipotent knowledge with 100% certainty. I don't think anyone else does either. I assumed people understood that.
Apology accepted.

If you don't know something will happen for sure, perhaps better wording than "0.0%" would be more accurate.

Especially when your subscribers, like myself, look to you for advice.

Apology accepted.

If you don't know something will happen for sure, perhaps better wording than "0.0%" would be more accurate.

Especially when your subscribers, like myself, look to you for advice.

What did I say had a 0.0% chance of happening?

Of course rosters matter a lot.

But I find it fascinating there is fan talk about Sirianni's future while other fans are shocked Vrabel was fired who went just 13-21 the past two seasons, losing 18 of his last 24 games.
because they were dealing with different situations. Not saying that Sirianni should be fired or vrabel shouldn’t, but there are different dynamics at play. People are considering what might or did happen based on the specifics of the situation.

Most Eagles fans that follow the team closely, and have for years/decades, recognized a team that was in the midst of a disastrous collapse 2 months ago.

Fans of other teams (not just Joe) that saw it from the outside as just a little slump against decent teams repeatedly kept coming around stating with absolute certainty that what we were saying was happening and would happen was not a possibility.

Some were doing it due to naïveté. If you haven’t lived through the daily grind of the Kotite era, Bobby Hoying as your franchise QB, Andy Reid’s early career time management, etc., you just won’t have the same “insider” perspective. Stating 100% absolutes that are positive in nature about this team is a hubris only an “outsider” could possess.

From the outside, there’s a talented roster of offensive players, a cupcake schedule to end the year, and a coach/QB combo with an absurd winning percentage. So it will be all good, right? But from the inside, it was 11 weeks of “not playing a complete game yet.” The offense and defense both had multiple, questionable performances but not usually on the same day (except for the NYJ game), which kept up the illusion. The run game, and particularly the OLine, was not able to dominate when needed to sustain a drive after long defensive possession, or to close out in the 4th with a lead. Weapons like Goedert and Swift would disappear for stretches of GAMES, not series. The situational play calling, on both sides, was maddening since week 1. And on and on and on.

Now, others were doing the “They are fine. This team is great. They will win.” deliberately to be able to take shots at a rival team/fan base in a subversive way. And I respect it; I’m never above pulling out a classic reverse jinx.

TL;DR - Should not happen >>> Will not happen.:shrug:
Couple of points

Eagles fans who lived through Kotite should be grateful for Lurie, Roseman, and now Nick.

Our schedule this year was record hard IIRC.

Since when is winning games ugly a bad thing?

No one is saying the team is fine, not even rainbow homer pants me. However, there is a difference between a late season collapse and firing an entire staff because of when in the season we lost games and /only/ making the playoffs.

PLEASE PHILLY FANS, I LIVE IN NEW ENGLAND AND IM BEGGING YOU ALL NOT TO TURN INTO UNGRATEFUL PATRIOTS FANS

glll peas!!1!!11!

:ptts:
If anything, UNGRATEFUL PATRIOT FAN is the grandchild of UNGRATEFUL PHILLY FAN.

That feels like a softball.

Of course rosters matter a lot.

But I find it fascinating there is fan talk about Sirianni's future while other fans are shocked Vrabel was fired who went just 13-21 the past two seasons, losing 18 of his last 24 games.
because they were dealing with different situations. Not saying that Sirianni should be fired or vrabel shouldn’t, but there are different dynamics at play. People are considering what might or did happen based on the specifics of the situation.

Of course. Most notably rosters as I said.

And expectations factor into it as well.

I just think it's fascinating.

Yes. I thought there was a 0% chance Sirianni is fired barring a scandal as I said.

I assumed everyone would understand I'm not omniscient and it's possible for me to be wrong. I'll make sure to qualify that in the future.
Thanks.

And again, we're going in circles. 0.0% chance means you can't be wrong... it's the opposite of 100%.

0.0% chance means you can't be wrong... it's the opposite of 100%.

Yikes.

I'll drop this. Hope you can enjoy the game tomorrow.

I think, although I could absolutely positively without question be wrong, that the Eagles win pretty convincingly. In my opinion, they have a far better roster.

Yikes.

I think, although I could absolutely positively without question be wrong, that the Eagles win pretty convincingly. In my opinion, they have a far better roster.
Yikes, you keep dodging it. I just know you wouldn't send emails out with 100% or 0% for something you have an opinion on happening.

But I digress, let's move on to football.

Thanks, I'll try to enjoy the game. Tampa is going to win though. 100%, without a doubt, no question, guaranteed that Tampa wins that game. Impossible for Philly to win. 0.0% chance of that happening.

Yikes.

Yikes, you keep dodging it. I just know you wouldn't send emails out with 100% or 0% for something you have an opinion on happening.

But I digress, let's move on to football.

Thanks, I'll try to enjoy the game. Tampa is going to win though. 100%, without a doubt, no question, guaranteed that Tampa wins that game. Impossible for Philly to win. 0.0% chance of that happening.

:thumbup:

Guys, we’re going to have to exercise some patience. They’re going to be trolling extra hard in here now because of this loss.
After all the trash they’ve talked all season and they are guaranteed an equal season to ours at best….hopefully they have some self awareness.

I really hope Howie sees what kind of success you can have with a young team too. Both the Texans and Packers are super young and look very impressive. Time to cut bait with aging vets.

Guys, we’re going to have to exercise some patience. They’re going to be trolling extra hard in here now because of this loss.
After all the trash they’ve talked all season and they are guaranteed an equal season to ours at best….hopefully they have some self awareness.
Tonight it will be with how obsessed we are with them.

Yet they talk about the Eagles 2X as much as they talk about the Cowboys on this board.

If GB also boots SF out next week, I’ll stuff my gullet with a full wheel of Wisconsin cheese while wearing a Vince Lombardi fedora, in celebration.

Last edited:
Well, the Winner of the Philly/Tampa game officially plays the winner of the DET/LAR game.

Either @ Detroit or vs Rams

What did I say had a 0.0% chance of happening?

He's with me that there's 0.0% chance he's fired in the situation i laid out above.

Yes. I thought there was a 0% chance Sirianni is fired barring a scandal as I said.

I assumed everyone would understand I'm not omniscient and it's possible for me to be wrong. I'll make sure to qualify that in the future.

Your fine bud. For the record, your predictions are pretty good for the most part

I really hope Howie sees what kind of success you can have with a young team too. Both the Texans and Packers are super young and look very impressive. Time to cut bait with aging vets.

You gotta draft well to do that, otherwise, you're the Carolina Panther or Chicago Bears.
True. It looked like Love and a few others were also “bad picks” and they developed them into very solid to good players.

I’ve always operated under the assumption you were omnipotent, Joe. I am bitterly, bitterly disappointed. There is 0% chance I ever trust again.

You gotta draft well to do that, otherwise, you're the Carolina Panther or Chicago Bears.
True. It looked like Love and a few others were also “bad picks” and they developed them into very solid to good players.

Green Bay has some great coaching

Can’t believe we have a shot at a home playoff game
Seems ridiculous. Well, regardless, we all should be cheering for the Rams tonight. Gonna be an awesome game, I'm excited.
Look, if what GB did to Dallas doesn’t wake us up to what is still possible than nothing will.
Run the ball. Win the game. What are we saving Swift for all year if not for right now. We're probably not resigning him so give him 25 carries tomorrow and let it ride.

Can’t believe we have a shot at a home playoff game
Seems ridiculous. Well, regardless, we all should be cheering for the Rams tonight. Gonna be an awesome game, I'm excited.
Look, if what GB did to Dallas doesn’t wake us up to what is still possible than nothing will.
Run the ball. Win the game. What are we saving Swift for all year if not for right now. We're probably not resigning him so give him 25 carries tomorrow and let it ride.
Right? Penny was even a good RB last year and we haven’t even given him a shot. Put these boys to work!

Users who are viewing this thread