What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2023 Philadelphia Eagles - Complete waste of a season finally comes to an end. (4 Viewers)

I’m just hearing lots of chatter about BB and the Eagles.

Who better to fix your secondary and LB corps?
Good LBer and secondary coaches and talented players there. Thats usually a good start.
Bill’s philosophy doesn’t fly in today’s nfl. I remember talking to Kyle Eckel and even briefly with LaGarrette Blount awhile back and both said his coaching style was great for the time period but guys today will tune him out. He wants players who think football 24/7 including his coaching staff. Chip tried the same philosophy here in Philly and it just didn’t work. Plus I don’t think Bill will come here unless he has full control and Lurie isn’t giving anyone that after the chip debaticle

Reactions: JAA

Good LBer and secondary coaches and talented players there. Thats usually a good start.
Bill’s philosophy doesn’t fly in today’s nfl. I remember talking to Kyle Eckel and even briefly with LaGarrette Blount awhile back and both said his coaching style was great for the time period but guys today will tune him out. He wants players who think football 24/7 including his coaching staff. Chip tried the same philosophy here in Philly and it just didn’t work. Plus I don’t think Bill will come here unless he has full control and Lurie isn’t giving anyone that after the chip debaticle
He won’t come here. No big named HC will with Howie here. I think that’s becoming more and more clear.

“In today’s NFL”? He won the SB in 2019. Not 1919 lol

Jalen Hurts said today he has not thrown since his finger injury on Sunday.

"Obviously, leaving that game and attempting to go back in that game probably wasn’t physically the best idea. ... Time will tell with that. I can assure you everything is progressing the right way."

"Obviously, leaving that game and attempting to go back in that game probably wasn’t physically the best idea. ... Time will tell with that. I can assure you everything is progressing the right way."
They also haven't practiced until today either. So kind of a non story.

Would you be completely shocked if the Eagles lose 2 out of their next 4?

That would be debacle level. Won't happen.

My buddy is a super smart NFL guy and huge Eagles fan.

He's with me that there's 0.0% chance he's fired in the situation i laid out above.

That said, my buddies (season ticket friends) brought up firing him last week and I had to turn my phone off and go meditate."

Talking in absolutes about this team hasn't been the best idea, Joe! I guess technically you were right because they lost 3 of 4, not 2 of 4 :lmao:

If Sirianni can't convince Lurie he has a solid plan on how to turn things around next year and ensure this doesn't happen again or continue spiraling, I think any type of loss (even in the next round) puts him at some risk of getting fired. These last couple of months have been BEYOND "debacle level" and don't just disappear because they scrape by the Bucs.

ETA: There's also the consideration of how competitive the new coach pool is going to be in the next few weeks. There's a not small amount of risk in sitting it out, rolling with Sirianni and then things going south again next year and giving him the boot during the season and trying to salvage 2024 (and another prime year of your young QB) and then seeing who the available/hot coaches are.

Last edited:

He's with me that there's 0.0% chance he's fired in the situation i laid out above.

That said, my buddies (season ticket friends) brought up firing him last week and I had to turn my phone off and go meditate."

Talking in absolutes about this team hasn't been the best idea, Joe! I guess technically you were right because they lost 3 of 4, not 2 of 4 :lmao:

If Sirianni can't convince Lurie he has a solid plan on how to turn things around next year and ensure this doesn't happen again or continue spiraling, I think any type of loss (even in the next round) puts him at some risk of getting fired.
Yeah. I would say its not a guarantee he keeps his job. If they get blown out or the team looks truly like the quit, then ya know, Lurie might make a decision to change.

And everything said about "a big time coach not coming here" is 100% true, as much as I hate to admit it. The structure isn't for everyone, which is why we tend to hire "who?" type of coaches that people haven't really heard of or thought about. The one "big time" guy we got in Chip Kelly kinda showed how it doesn't work here.

If Sirianni can't convince Lurie he has a solid plan on how to turn things around next year and ensure this doesn't happen again or continue spiraling, I think any type of loss (even in the next round) puts him at some risk of getting fired.
Yeah. I would say its not a guarantee he keeps his job. If they get blown out or the team looks truly like the quit, then ya know, Lurie might make a decision to change.

And everything said about "a big time coach not coming here" is 100% true, as much as I hate to admit it. The structure isn't for everyone, which is why we tend to hire "who?" type of coaches that people haven't really heard of or thought about. The one "big time" guy we got in Chip Kelly kinda showed how it doesn't work here.

If they lose 21-14 and look like they did last month, what percent chance do you think Sirianni is fired?

Based on what we know, I agree. If the dysfunction/dissent turns out to be much worse than what’s been made public so far, then it’s a different story.

I understand the sentiment of wanting to move on based on how this team tanked the last few games... But. You can't fire the dude and have the position look remotely attractive. You're an up and coming coach - and you see the team fire a guy that made the playoffs his first 3 seasons after taking over a 4 win team, just because the team ended on a cold streak? What exactly are the expectations here? You're showing you have an environment that is completely intolerant of any failure with no chances to right the ship. That's insane. No one with any other options would take that job.

If they lose 21-14 and look like they did last month, what percent chance do you think Sirianni is fired?
5%

Brian Baldinger on watching #Eagles offensive film: “If I was playing defense against the Eagles, I would just be yelling their plays out.. It’s that predictable. I know guys at the bar in South Philly who could make the same play calls.”

And Eskin confirmed that Davis is getting fined weekly for being overweight 🤦‍♂️

Jalen Hurts in regular season:

- EPA per play: 7th
- Completion % over expected: 4th
- PFF grade: 6th
How he do without AJ & Smith ? .
lmao... really? How would any QB do without their RB1+WR1+WR2.

You're either a Giants or Cowboys fan I'm assuming with this level of trolling.
We judge other QBs that in are much worse situations ... Losing AJ Brown and D Smith basically levels playing field.
Does Mahomes have anything remotely close to Brown and Smith?? He still gets it done. Did Tyrod Taylor have anything remotely close to Brown and Smith when he lit up the Eagles?

Keep in mind ... Despite losing his top 2 targets ... Hurts still had the best line in the NFL giving him 4-5 seconds to throw
Tyrod Taylor was playing behind the worst line in the NFL when he lit up the Eagles .

Keep making excuses ... The Eagles have had far and away the best roster in the NFL the past 2 seasons and Hurts put up top 10-12 QB numbers ... fa below what you would expect with that talent around him. All that talent and Hurts threw for a whopping career high 23 TDs (with 23 Turnovers)

His WRs went down for 1 Game ... and he threw for 50 yds with a pick, couldnt run, and looked confused all game long before getting benched or pleading to be benched ... however you want to look at it

QB RTG
21 Tommy DeVito NYG - 89.2
22 Tyrod Taylor NYG - 89.1
23 Jalen Huts - 89.1
The great line thing is misleading. Hurts during the last five games has NOT had "4-5 seconds to throw". He's often created that much time scrambling

We judge other QBs that in are much worse situations ... Losing AJ Brown and D Smith basically levels playing field.
Does Mahomes have anything remotely close to Brown and Smith?? He still gets it done. Did Tyrod Taylor have anything remotely close to Brown and Smith when he lit up the Eagles?

Keep in mind ... Despite losing his top 2 targets ... Hurts still had the best line in the NFL giving him 4-5 seconds to throw
Tyrod Taylor was playing behind the worst line in the NFL when he lit up the Eagles .

Keep making excuses ... The Eagles have had far and away the best roster in the NFL the past 2 seasons and Hurts put up top 10-12 QB numbers ... fa below what you would expect with that talent around him. All that talent and Hurts threw for a whopping career high 23 TDs (with 23 Turnovers)

His WRs went down for 1 Game ... and he threw for 50 yds with a pick, couldnt run, and looked confused all game long before getting benched or pleading to be benched ... however you want to look at it

QB RTG
23 Jalen Huts - 89.1
The great line thing is misleading. Hurts during the last five games has NOT had "4-5 seconds to throw". He's often created that much time scrambling
haha his whole post is a clear troll job. "Leveling the playing field" losing AJ and Smith lol. Julio/Quez wouldn't be a level playing field, it would be the worst qb tandem in nfl history.

He won’t come here. No big named HC will with Howie here. I think that’s becoming more and more clear.

His coaching tactics just don’t work well with new players and let’s face it he’s a mediocre coach without Brady. Had it not been for Brady he probably wouldn’t have been in Ne very long

If the coach was an Andy Reid type and grew into the role it’s work that way and it did for a good decade or more under him. The problem with chip was he didn’t adjust his college philosophy on roster structure etc to fit the nfl

QB RTG
23 Jalen Huts - 89.1
haha his whole post is a clear troll job. "Leveling the playing field" losing AJ and Smith lol. Julio/Quez wouldn't be a level playing field, it would be the worst qb tandem in nfl history.
Well let's not go wild. Thrash and Pinkston, Johnson and Small.

• Laughing
Great offseason already continues Cheater Bill is gone from NE. Watching that franchise crumble under their ego and smugness has been a treat. Only thing missing was brady didn’t crumble with it

Wish we’d crumble like them….

Is the fan base wanting Nick gone?
Stupid fans do.

hes gone if we lose monday night

I think it depends on how. If we get smoked I’m leaning toward them getting rid of him.
You've been a big defender of him all week though... what changed?

Exactly. Really hate these "no way", "won't happen", "0.0% chance" takes that people take. It comes across pompous and NOTHING is 100% in this league, as we have seen recently.

I put it at a 15% chance he is fired. Which may sound high, but that number is still EXTREMELY unlikely.

My guess/hope is that Lurie/Howie sits him down and has the Doug convo, but that Nick goes along with it this time and fires both coordinators.

Exactly. Really hate these "no way", "won't happen", "0.0% chance" takes that people take. It comes across pompous and NOTHING is 100% in this league, as we have seen recently.

I put it at a 15% chance he is fired. Which may sound high, but that number is still EXTREMELY unlikely.

My guess/hope is that Lurie/Howie sits him down and has the Doug convo, but that Nick goes along with it this time and fires both coordinators.
I put it more like, posting from an Eagles Hater perspective.

"No way this happens" (but if it does the Eagles are trash, like I kinda have been implying all along. Tough break when you don't have an easy schedule and easy path to the Super Bowl eh)

Maybe I'm crazy, probably am. But from what I have been reading from certain people about their certain takes about this team the past 2 years, that is kinda how I feel.

"No way this happens" (but if it does the Eagles are trash, like I kinda have been implying all along. Tough break when you don't have an easy schedule and easy path to the Super Bowl eh)

Maybe I'm crazy, probably am. But from what I have been reading from certain people about their certain takes about this team the past 2 years, that is kinda how I feel.
I agree 100%. Some people who want to see them lose, love to say how they're such a talented team, how there's no chance they can lose, how they're going to crush their awful opponent.

Then they are either right, or happy.... never risking anything, and always coming out feeling good about their 'prediction'.

You're not crazy, it's pretty blatantly obvious despite the poor efforts to disguise their disdain.

As for the Brian Johnson stuff, I have NO IDEA how he is getting these HC interviews. Are they doing it so that the Eagles consider him more valuable/don't want to lose him? Inflating his image? How can there be anyone out there who thinks he is doing a good job??? Like anyone, nonetheless NFL GMs.

• Thanks
Great offseason already continues Cheater Bill is gone from NE. Watching that franchise crumble under their ego and smugness has been a treat. Only thing missing was brady didn’t crumble with it

Wish we’d crumble like them….

Stupid fans do.

I think it depends on how. If we get smoked I’m leaning toward them getting rid of him.
You've been a big defender of him all week though... what changed?

My stance on him hasn’t changed. Optics are optics though and if we get smoked then I’d be concerned they’d move on. I’m with the masses in that it’s a very little chance they move on from him. We just need to upgrade the coordinators IMO

As for the Brian Johnson stuff, I have NO IDEA how he is getting these HC interviews. Are they doing it so that the Eagles consider him more valuable/don't want to lose him? Inflating his image? How can there be anyone out there who thinks he is doing a good job??? Like anyone, nonetheless NFL GMs.

Just take a look at the interviews from last year. (Go to COACHING/GM INTERVIEWS) Look at some of the names and where they are now. For everything Johnson is, he’s part of a talented offense that has had some success. You have to at least talk to him.

For all the hate he gets this team is averaging more than 26 ppg. For reference SF and Miami are at 30 ppg. His offense is like 7 or 8 in the league in points scored.

For all the hate he gets this team is averaging more than 26 ppg. For reference SF and Miami are at 30 ppg. His offense is like 7 or 8 in the league in points scored.

And that's with the other team killing us in time of possession constantly

4 of the 5 international “home” teams for 2024 were announced, none of which the Eagles play as the away team.

But, the home team for the international game in Brazil hasn’t been announced yet. It will likely be an NFC team (since they have the extra/9th home game in 2024) and the Eagles have only played internationally once, and never yet as the home team…

That’s pretty unreal. He’s so condemned in this town and is running a top 8 offense? I guess it’s due to the past 6 games? Patricia and the D seem to be a much bigger issue.

His coaching tactics just don’t work well with new players and let’s face it he’s a mediocre coach without Brady. Had it not been for Brady he probably wouldn’t have been in Ne very long
Dude you must not have watched many games back then. The guy would craft brilliant defensive schemes to shut down whatever a team did best. The game might have passed him by a bit, but in his day he was incredible.

Listening to the radio this morning, the guys had Ruben Amaro on. He was talking about how back when the Phillies were really good they has a tough time making the playoffs/making it deep in the playoffs, because they were very good. The fact that they were very good meant that they were constantly getting scouted by other teams-more than most-and that fact just made it harder for them to perform at a high level when they needed to. Teams were just really well prepared to stop what the Phils wanted to do.

He opined that this is definitely the same situation with the Eagles this year. Teams-especially teams that we may face in the playoffs-are probably watching tape over and over again to identify weaknesses. His theory is that once they locked up the playoffs they made a conscientious decision to roll out the blandest, vanilla play calling on both sides of the ball in an effort to give the opposing teams NOTHING to analyze. Any innovations they come up with, they would simply not employ until the playoffs.

This obviously seems like a cope and its most likely bs. I just thought it was interesting to hear from a former GM make an applicable comparison to another team. His defense of this is that, while the team is seemingly spiraling down the toilet, the team still seems to be a unit. Normally, by now you would expect a ton of quotes coming out about how bad the team is, blame game stuff, etc. Additionally, the Dallas Goedert quotes seem to bolster this as well.

Just some positive-Herb thoughts for my fellow Eagle fan brethren.
I don't buy it. If that's the play, you're not putting your franchise QB out there to get killed - you're running Rashaad Penny 30 times a game to kill the clock and keep Swift, Brown, Smith, and the others healthy. Nope - they were trying - just, like Toonces - not very well.

That’s pretty unreal. He’s so condemned in this town and is running a top 8 offense? I guess it’s due to the past 6 games? Patricia and the D seem to be a much bigger issue.
Talent goes a long way. Might be a top 1 offense with playcalling more like last year's.

The D is a much bigger issue, but it also means the O has to be elite, not just good.

100%

How long was Peterson around after WINNING the Super Bowl.

100%

Not long. And the team looked just as lost as this one.

100%

Not long. And the team looked just as lost as this one.
Things were worse under Doug for those final 3 years.

I agree 100%. Some people who want to see them lose, love to say how they're such a talented team, how there's no chance they can lose, how they're going to crush their awful opponent.

Then they are either right, or happy.... never risking anything, and always coming out feeling good about their 'prediction'.

You're not crazy, it's pretty blatantly obvious despite the poor efforts to disguise their disdain.
I hope this doesn’t refer to me (although definitely an Eagles hater 😁) from this post a few pages back:

“G-King

Footballguy​

I think a “come to Jesus” meeting will happen this week for Philly. It’s the playoffs and as bad as they have played the last 4 weeks, they are professionals that want to win. I don’t think they can beat anyone in the playoffs EXCEPT Tampa. Faker Mayfield is a joke, and they barely squeezed out 9 points to a crappy team. I think Hurts comes out of his shell and rallies these guys. I get that the defense sucks, but the offense can put up points- the Bucs can’t. The best thing for y’all’s Eagles is they get the worst team to play. Eagles 24 Bucs 20. I’d give up the -2.5 and take the Eagles before it changes (if I could force myself to bet on the Eagles 🤢)
That was tough for me to admit…. GO Cowboys 🤠
———————————————————————————————————————
I’m confident enough in the turn around the Eagles will have against Faker Mayfield and that clown offense that I’m putting half a G on them to win and cover. Part of that may be a little that if the Cowboys do beat the Packers and redeem just a little of the ARodgers years, that I want to beat down your Eagles at home again. 😬
However, I still say that Philly is too talented to lose to Tampa simply because the guys are professionals, they know what they have to do to shut up a rough crowd like Philadelphia media and fans, and Tampa sucks. I stand by my prediction.
DISCLAIMER - BUT, if Faker hangs 30 on this defense, Hurts throws three picks, teammates are fist fighting each other on the sideline, and I lose $550? Well that’s what I deserve for betting on the “Sheagles”.🤬

But seriously, I think they pull it all together vs Tampa (the best medicine for your ailing team) and come out with the win. Hope to see you boys in DALLAS in two weeks.

Right. And don't forget, this team was the best in the league last year in turnover differential. Hurts threw 6 picks last year, this year he's thrown 15. We've had tons of fumbling issues all year; the Scott getting hit on a kickoff and fumbling is a perfect example. That kind of stuff just didn't happen last year. The defense was great last year. CJGJ alone was still leading the league in ints. after NOT PLAYING for like 6 weeks. We all know what's up this the "defense" this year.

Imagine how effective this offense would look if we had an extra 3-4 drive opportunities per game? We'd be top 3 in the league.

Now he's a Drama Queen ? Already has his excuse ready

Are you stating the injury he had was not real?

Lol, his middle finger looked like Harry Potter's scar and he still went back in. That's the opposite of drama queen, but sweet take regardless.

Stupid fans do.

He may be gone after this game, but I don't think its dependent on this game. If he's gone after this game it means that Lurie has already made up his mind, like, today. I mean if he wants to fire Nick, what does a win over TB do to eliminate that desire?
Zero chance Lurie fires Nick

I hope this doesn’t refer to me (although definitely an Eagles hater 😁) from this post a few pages back:

[/HEADING]
[HEADING=3]“G-King

Footballguy​

I think a “come to Jesus” meeting will happen this week for Philly. It’s the playoffs and as bad as they have played the last 4 weeks, they are professionals that want to win. I don’t think they can beat anyone in the playoffs EXCEPT Tampa. Faker Mayfield is a joke, and they barely squeezed out 9 points to a crappy team. I think Hurts comes out of his shell and rallies these guys. I get that the defense sucks, but the offense can put up points- the Bucs can’t. The best thing for y’all’s Eagles is they get the worst team to play. Eagles 24 Bucs 20. I’d give up the -2.5 and take the Eagles before it changes (if I could force myself to bet on the Eagles 🤢)
That was tough for me to admit…. GO Cowboys 🤠
———————————————————————————————————————
I’m confident enough in the turn around the Eagles will have against Faker Mayfield and that clown offense that I’m putting half a G on them to win and cover. Part of that may be a little that if the Cowboys do beat the Packers and redeem just a little of the ARodgers years, that I want to beat down your Eagles at home again. 😬
However, I still say that Philly is too talented to lose to Tampa simply because the guys are professionals, they know what they have to do to shut up a rough crowd like Philadelphia media and fans, and Tampa sucks. I stand by my prediction.
DISCLAIMER - BUT, if Faker hangs 30 on this defense, Hurts throws three picks, teammates are fist fighting each other on the sideline, and I lose $550? Well that’s what I deserve for betting on the “Sheagles”.🤬

But seriously, I think they pull it all together vs Tampa (the best medicine for your ailing team) and come out with the win. Hope to see you boys in DALLAS in two weeks.
Definitely not you!

Users who are viewing this thread