What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Year end coach meetings, Black Monday coming (1 Viewer)

It's so aggravating that they could have got a first (or whatever round pick) for Vrabel and chose the lazy route
Who is broadcasting that?
Gruden was traded for like a 1st to Tampa but he was a hot commodity
I'm not sure Vrabel is as highly sought after, IMHO

-I understand this season and last were perhaps not his fault and he will coach again but I've never heard anyone discuss him as good for the Offense.
I still see him as a limited Head Coach and there are others just like him except they are the opposite and don't understand defense, like Mike McDaniel as an example.
Head Coach is a difficult spot, don't think you can just be good on one side of the ball in order to survive right now...and if you, Offense seems to be what folks want.

Diana russini
@dmrussini
The Titans believed trading Vrabel was too complicated and would take too long, per sources. They wanted to move on quickly. I was told Vrabel never asked ownership for a trade or asked out of Tennessee.

@pftcommenter
Very relatable to make a bad decision because making a good decision would of taken longer and probably involved more paperwork
LBL, I don't see 1st Rd pick and i also do not value Russini, she's made a little name for herself in recent years but knows ZERO about the Xs and Os of football, I know she likes to pretend to have inside info all the time but I stopped listening to her as a source for a while. Dan LeBatard gave her a platform when he was at ESPN, at first I was impressed but lately she is a lot of hot air IMHO.

Appreciate you posting this
Did it say (or whatever round pick) in the original?
He mentions two sources

Discussing trading Vrabel is on the Titans site, it's on si, it's on ESPN, it's on CBS but you need this thread and this discussion to stop because you don't frequent any of these sites? It was on NFLN and ESPN. It was on Sirius radio.

Your pretentious ignorance is not an excuse to question me.

Google or search Twitter

No. With all that you've been wrong and keep yammering away about Arthur Smith and Vrabel it's time for you to source.

Your endless love of these guys is dominating threads and is stupid. Start sourcing.
I incorrectly stated two Jaguars stats and apologized but have posted thousands of times in like twenty years but I'm going to change up because of you.
You've got it.
Anything else? Wax your car? Shine your shoes?
Rock you been away a long time maybe you didn’t hear, bri doesn’t shine shoes no more

It's so aggravating that they could have got a first (or whatever round pick) for Vrabel and chose the lazy route

-I understand this season and last were perhaps not his fault and he will coach again but I've never heard anyone discuss him as good for the Offense.
I still see him as a limited Head Coach and there are others just like him except they are the opposite and don't understand defense, like Mike McDaniel as an example.
Head Coach is a difficult spot, don't think you can just be good on one side of the ball in order to survive right now...and if you, Offense seems to be what folks want.

Diana russini
@dmrussini
The Titans believed trading Vrabel was too complicated and would take too long, per sources. They wanted to move on quickly. I was told Vrabel never asked ownership for a trade or asked out of Tennessee.

@pftcommenter
Very relatable to make a bad decision because making a good decision would of taken longer and probably involved more paperwork
LBL, I don't see 1st Rd pick and i also do not value Russini, she's made a little name for herself in recent years but knows ZERO about the Xs and Os of football, I know she likes to pretend to have inside info all the time but I stopped listening to her as a source for a while. Dan LeBatard gave her a platform when he was at ESPN, at first I was impressed but lately she is a lot of hot air IMHO.

He mentions two sources

Discussing trading Vrabel is on the Titans site, it's on si, it's on ESPN, it's on CBS but you need this thread and this discussion to stop because you don't frequent any of these sites? It was on NFLN and ESPN. It was on Sirius radio.

It's all hearsay then?

I still am not seeing in print any real news sources that the Titans were offered a 1st Rd pick but were just too lazy to start the paperwork
Skeptical does not make me ignorant, let's refrain from name calling please, my target was DRussini, I don't remember ever coming after you, I just don't see any proof that the Titans could have had a 1st Rd pick from Vrabel and just sad "Meh, we're good"

-If they really did, the fan base should go down and walk everyone out of the building and lock the doors

Last edited:
I incorrectly stated two Jaguars stats and apologized but have posted thousands of times in like twenty years but I'm going to change up because of you.
You've got it.
Anything else? Wax your car? Shine your shoes?

You seem to get a lot more wrong than right, but maybe it's just your posting style and your passing off of opinion constantly about Smith and Vrabel that does it. You like big football with big guys. The NFL is trending away from it and you don't really see it.

I've seen you post other stuff wrong than Jaguars stats.

Just saying that we know your opinion about Smith and Vrabel. It's ad nauseam.

What to do with that—I don't know.

eta* sorry to be harsh. You bring a lot of good things to the board. Maybe just source your facts is all. I usually do, and I've made 87,000 posts on this board.

Last edited:
I thought I mentioned John Gruden in this thread as a HC traded for a 1st but he was in hot demand and the Bucs sent McKay on a mission to get him
I don't see that kind of thunder for Vrabel so I do and will continue to question the validity of the Titans throwing away a potential 1st Rd pick

-That kind of action would draw some intense criticism form a lot of media outlets I would think
That would be almost as bad as Stephen Ross forfeiting the Miami 1st and 3rd Rd picks over Sean Payton and Tom Brady tampering

Wow. Sports can be a cold business. Quinn makes no sense to me. I get wanting change but to go from Pete to Quinn seems like at best case scenario a draw.
I mean, Quinn was a former coach there 2 separate occasions. They now have a Head Coaching vacancy. Carroll is 72 years old. Makes sense to me, but what do I know.

Pete Carroll OUT
"expected" per Schefter...
Insane

2 great coaches available now in him and Vrabel

IMO

Edit: now it looks like Carroll is going into front office. I doubt this was his doing.
maybe... He's also 72. He might have been open for a more relaxed role.
Dude he was fired

Seahawks coach Pete Carroll plans to return in 2024: 'I'm not worn out. I'm not tired'​

Wow. Sports can be a cold business. Quinn makes no sense to me. I get wanting change but to go from Pete to Quinn seems like at best case scenario a draw.
I mean, Quinn was a former coach there 2 separate occasions. They now have a Head Coaching vacancy. Carroll is 72 years old. Makes sense to me, but what do I know.
He is a career defensive minded coach. It's an offensive league now. Making someone with his background head coach just feels off. Pair him up with a modern offensive guy and it's a great duo. All my opnion.

He is a career defensive minded coach. It's an offensive league now. Making someone with his background head coach just feels off. Pair him up with a modern offensive guy and it's a great duo. All my opnion.
Oh I agree with you. On that premise, it being an offensive league and needing to develop offense, I get that. But still, defensive coaches have been getting Head Coaching gigs over and over. Robert Saleh, Demeco Ryans, etc. I'm just saying on the surface of "familiarity" it makes sense. And Quinn will be a hot commodity as a Head Coach possibility for sure after this season.

Pete Carroll OUT
Insane

IMO

Edit: now it looks like Carroll is going into front office. I doubt this was his doing.
Dude he was fired

Seahawks coach Pete Carroll plans to return in 2024: 'I'm not worn out. I'm not tired'​

Sure, but also if he 100% wanted to coach, I am sure he wouldn;t just remain with them as an advisor - he's find a spot, someone would hire him.

Pete Carroll OUT
Insane

IMO

Dude he was fired

Sure, but also if he 100% wanted to coach, I am sure he wouldn;t just remain with them as an advisor - he's find a spot, someone would hire him.
Could still happen. No coaches have been hired yet as far as I know lol

Andrew Callahan, a fine reporter, is writing of Belichick to Cowboys as if they're not playing well and have a coaching opening and these scenario articles bug me
I have felt for a while that this is the most logical landing spot for BB...the team is already built to win now and BB has a very good relationship with Jerry and he is one of the few guys I think BB would defer to as far as running the whole operation...the very obvious x-factor is McCarthy is there and if the Cowboys have a good post-season it's a moot point but if they were to underachieve in the post-season again I could definitely see this scenario unfolding.
I'd be shocked and mainly because Jerry has no intention of letting anyone but him run the whole operation.

He did it with Parcells and he did not like it. Team was just not doing well and he needed to get public enthused to help fund his stadium.

I think I pointed out that Jerry is one of the few guys I think BIll would defer to...if he went there, it would only be as a HC (and that appears highly unlikely right now)...I just don't see many other scenarios where BB would go only as a HC.
I just don't see it as a match or see BB deferring to anyone in a way he'd have to do in Dallas.

I doubt Dallas wants to get rid of McCarthy but if they did I think they'd just want to hire Quinn, who they like a great deal.

We'll have to agree to disagree that if Bill stays or goes he wont' accept a role a HC only. I think that's going to be his role wherever he goes, and I think he's ok with it. He'll need a level of personel control and feel ok with who he's working with but his days of running it like he owns are I believe over, unless he just overpowers the GM in place which is possible.

Florio with an article about this topic today:

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profo...ichick-partnership-isnt-as-crazy-as-it-sounds

Andrew Callahan, a fine reporter, is writing of Belichick to Cowboys as if they're not playing well and have a coaching opening and these scenario articles bug me
I have felt for a while that this is the most logical landing spot for BB...the team is already built to win now and BB has a very good relationship with Jerry and he is one of the few guys I think BB would defer to as far as running the whole operation...the very obvious x-factor is McCarthy is there and if the Cowboys have a good post-season it's a moot point but if they were to underachieve in the post-season again I could definitely see this scenario unfolding.
I'd be shocked and mainly because Jerry has no intention of letting anyone but him run the whole operation.

He did it with Parcells and he did not like it. Team was just not doing well and he needed to get public enthused to help fund his stadium.

I think I pointed out that Jerry is one of the few guys I think BIll would defer to...if he went there, it would only be as a HC (and that appears highly unlikely right now)...I just don't see many other scenarios where BB would go only as a HC.
I just don't see it as a match or see BB deferring to anyone in a way he'd have to do in Dallas.

I doubt Dallas wants to get rid of McCarthy but if they did I think they'd just want to hire Quinn, who they like a great deal.

We'll have to agree to disagree that if Bill stays or goes he wont' accept a role a HC only. I think that's going to be his role wherever he goes, and I think he's ok with it. He'll need a level of personel control and feel ok with who he's working with but his days of running it like he owns are I believe over, unless he just overpowers the GM in place which is possible.

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profo...ichick-partnership-isnt-as-crazy-as-it-sounds
Thanks but I'm not swayed and will continue to say if they want to move on from McCarthy it would be to keep Dan Quinn.

Pete Carroll OUT
Insane

IMO

Dude he was fired

Is a team really interested in hiring a 72 YO coach unless he has a solid transition plan and an heir apparent assistant?

Belichick and Pats parting way per ESPN...

Carroll, Saban, and Belichick out in the same off season.

Jim Harbaugh no doubt is going to be the biggest name this offseason and linked to every job. With the possible sanctions at Michigan I think he will leave. I thought he was a shoe in for Vegas, NE, Seattle but now with the Bama job opening who knows.

Pete Carroll OUT
Insane

IMO

Dude he was fired

Is a team really interested in hiring a 72 YO coach unless he has a solid transition plan and an heir apparent assistant?
Why not?

I'm pretty sure teams will be interested in Belichek as well.

Last edited:
The New ENgland Patriots would like to welcome their new Head Coach Mike Vrabel
The most likely candidate is expected to be Jerod Mayo.

I think it is 50/50 between Mayo and Vrabel...the bigger question to me is who the next GM is...have heard Pioli's name floating around lately...not sure in what role it would be but that kind of came out of nowhere.

You

Diana russini
@dmrussini

@pftcommenter

He mentions two sources

It's all hearsay then?

I still am not seeing in print any real news sources that the Titans were offered a 1st Rd pick but were just too lazy to start the paperwork
Skeptical does not make me ignorant, let's refrain from name calling please, my target was DRussini, I don't remember ever coming after you, I just don't see any proof that the Titans could have had a 1st Rd pick from Vrabel and just sad "Meh, we're good"

-If they really did, the fan base should go down and walk everyone out of the building and lock the doors
Now you want print? You've gone too far with this and I'm gonna stop replying to this chain.

I think it is 50/50 between Mayo and Vrabel...the bigger question to me is who the next GM is...have heard Pioli's name floating around lately...not sure in what role it would be but that kind of came out of nowhere.
Amy Trask has mentioned him

Yeah this seems obvious
If so, I'd enjoy the tampering discussion for entertainment.

Tons of reports that he met with Kraft and Belichick BUT that's what ya do when your jersey is retired or team hof or whatever it was.
Even if they said "we'd like to have you back" that's commonly said then too.

Normal conversation always throws social media with things like this

Yeah this seems obvious

Tons of reports that he met with Kraft and Belichick BUT that's what ya do when your jersey is retired or team hof or whatever it was.

I'm sure it is being reported in Nashville but the word is The Titan's Owner was BS with Vrabel's Patriot H-o-f speech and could not get over that.

Will he be a rebound guy like dating? Can we pencil another new coach in for two years from now? Is he continuing a tradition or starting anew?
I'm sure there's been thoughts for years, not just recently, but they've gotta work up a plan and stick to it including letting the world know.

OBrien was arrogant in Houston and lately I've read quotes and noticed it again. He instantly strikes me as "he's gotta go" regardless of their plan. I never get this "need to adjust and improve" vibe from him. What do you think?

Will he be a rebound guy like dating? Can we pencil another new coach in for two years from now? Is he continuing a tradition or starting anew?
I'm sure there's been thoughts for years, not just recently, but they've gotta work up a plan and stick to it including letting the world know.

OBrien was arrogant in Houston and lately I've read quotes and noticed it again. He instantly strikes me as "he's gotta go" regardless of their plan. I never get this "need to adjust and improve" vibe from him. What do you think?

FYI...it is common knowledge that there is some type of agreement between the Krafts and Mayo...exact details have never been fully disclosed but after it happened he stopped interviewing for all non-Patriot jobs...the theory was he was going to be BB's successor...now when that originally happened the Pats were in a far different spot then the train wreck they are now...back then the thinking was BB coaches for another 3 years or so then moves upstairs and Mayo takes over a smooth running operation...the x-factor is no one saw the bottom falling out on the Pats/BB era so quickly and badly as well as Vrabel being available at this exact moment...that's what adds to the intrigue...I do think the other x-factor in all of this is who will be the next GM because that is far more important and gotta believe they would be part of this decision as well.

Last edited:
You

Diana russini
@dmrussini

@pftcommenter

He mentions two sources

It's all hearsay then?

Now you want print? You've gone too far with this and I'm gonna stop replying to this chain.
MoP asked for a link or proof that the Titans were offered a 1st for Vrabel or that this was even a real story in a credible news outlet

-Your reply was to get defensive and start using adjectives that have no place in these threads when posters are just asking for proof that the Titans could have gotten some real compensation for Vrabel. No one is asking for you to keep replying, it's obvious there isn't any substance to this claim other than conjecture and maybe that's even giving it too much credibility.

-People can discuss anything they want at Titans message boards but that doesn't make it true.

Cheers!

Yeah this seems obvious

I'm sure it is being reported in Nashville but the word is The Titan's Owner was BS with Vrabel's Patriot H-o-f speech and could not get over that.

Yeah there's been a lot of contradictions the last two days.
It shows he really was everything to the franchise and probably shouldn't have been.

Twitters going wild with "but you said this X weeks ago" for both owner Amy and GM Ran.

Dumbest ever was Ran saying he didn't know the vision of the franchise BUT he tried to fix that and said (few weeks/few months interim GM) Ryan Cowden ran the draft board last draft. He was supposed to be orderly with a GM triumvirate and this is a bad look.

Amy did the likely scripted Titans official interview and had to say she'll get back to people about who will have final say and Breer n others wrote negatively so then she did a morning interview on radio and seemed unprepared again.

She's a gem. She's smart and in command and knows history and....an excellent owner that has so much mud on her face now. I bet she regrets her decision and is venting to her family about it but to the public she's seeing it through.

Something happens here. No idea if it's structural, irrational, logical....there is no way that well prepared intelligent woman gets egg on her face again. She'll react somehow

You

Diana russini
@dmrussini

@pftcommenter

He mentions two sources

It's all hearsay then?

MoP asked for a link or proof that the Titans were offered a 1st for Vrabel or that this was even a real story in a credible news outlet

-Your reply was to get defensive and start using adjectives that have no place in these threads when posters are just asking for proof that the Titans could have gotten some real compensation for Vrabel. No one is asking for you to keep replying, it's obvious there isn't any substance to this claim other than conjecture and maybe that's even giving it too much credibility.

-People can discuss anything they want at Titans message boards but that doesn't make it true.

Cheers!
No
Third person reply?
You ignored parenthetical text

You

Diana russini
@dmrussini

@pftcommenter

He mentions two sources

It's all hearsay then?

Cheers!
No
Third person reply?
You ignored parenthetical text
DUDE!
Are a high school English teacher or something? Quoting MLA terminology on an internet football message board?

It was a simple innocent request for a news link to back your claims that the Titans were just too lazy to make a few phone calls and ship Vrabel out for a possible 1st Rd pick
That headline would be earth shaking if true. As I said, it would be just about as egregious as Stephen Ross losing Miami's 1st and 3rd Rd picks

:popcorn:

I'm patient, if the story proves true in the coming days when Vrabel is snatched up and the owner/FO says we would have gladly traded our 1st or 2nd Rd pick to get him but were so thankful he was available without having to part with draft compensation, I welcome that story and would love to read it so I can move Tennessee down below Arizona for incompetence

:popcorn:

Thanks but I'm not swayed and will continue to say if they want to move on from McCarthy it would be to keep Dan Quinn.
This all has taken a life of its own the last couple days and I'm wrong- apparently there IS a lot of smoke that the Cowboys must go far in the playoffs or he could be replaced.
I'm still surprised by it.
Years back, JRob said Vrabel was hired to take the Titans further and they went one game further than Mularkey who turned them from second worst to playoff team.
Now people exaggerate Vrabel's success-two playoff wins in six years. (I think his abilities and other things as redeeming qualities) Where does he land in coaching ranks then?

We discussed Marty Schottenheimer at length here for years and I feel like the notions then are looming now- McCarthy is the next Schottenheimer then? Vrabel's lack of playoff success doesn't matter?
It gets so twisted (as it did with Marty) when you apply any McCarthy thought to another HC candidate.
You could even discard his Super Bowls but yet then they would praise Belichick's rings as a potential hire right?

I've never seen people twist n twist like this except with Marty.

I think the Cowboys (could) looks like an enviable job but it could change fast.
A lot of radio callers opine about their line being on their last legs. Also is it that they can afford Parsons or CeeDee but not both?
Jerry's meddling amount is a bit high now too with camera men following him at practice and his longtime radio show. He does back off but it goes in spurts.
I'm not sure it's as enviable a spot as some think if it becomes available. I'd like Bankerguy or some Boys fans to chime in though

Don't count out Brian Flores. But the one thing that all 3 have in common which could deter them from getting the job is that they are defensive minded coaches.
I thought he was an untouchable til his NFL lawsuit was done. I see his name lately and still wonder if that's true. This IS a pretentious time where owners act like their candidate is so special with no negatives.
Do you think he can get a sincere opportunity?

Bert Breer was just on the radio suggesting that Brady would likely reach out to Vrabel to coach the Raiders and, if so, that would probably be where Mike ends up.

Reactions: Bri

Users who are viewing this thread