What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Year end coach meetings, Black Monday coming (3 Viewers)

Andrew Callahan, a fine reporter, is writing of Belichick to Cowboys as if they're not playing well and have a coaching opening and these scenario articles bug me
I have felt for a while that this is the most logical landing spot for BB...the team is already built to win now and BB has a very good relationship with Jerry and he is one of the few guys I think BB would defer to as far as running the whole operation...the very obvious x-factor is McCarthy is there and if the Cowboys have a good post-season it's a moot point but if they were to underachieve in the post-season again I could definitely see this scenario unfolding.
I'd be shocked and mainly because Jerry has no intention of letting anyone but him run the whole operation.

He did it with Parcells and he did not like it. Team was just not doing well and he needed to get public enthused to help fund his stadium.

Just a couple guesses of guys who stay put:

NE sticks with Belichick (gives up GM duties) and brings in McDaniels as play caller

Chicago sticks with Eberflus but hires a new OC.

Vrabel sticks in Tennessee, with a new OC.

Raiders keep Antonio Pierce as HC.

Harbaugh stays at Michigan.

Couple guesses on new HCs:

Atlanta-Mike Macdonald, young (36) defensive whiz, possibly paired with an experienced hand at OC, maybe Greg Roman as they overlapped in Baltimore?

LA Chargers-Dan Quinn, I think there is a lot of smoke to the idea of hiring Quinn and keeping Kellen Moore at OC.

Washington-Ben Johnson, I think this is a more appealing spot than Carolina. You get to pick your QB and have more playmakers already in place.

Carolina-Bobby Slowik, possibly too early, but teams are chasing that Shanahan coaching tree. I think his work with Stroud will appeal him to Carolina and hoping he can bring the same out of Young.

I'd be surprised if rumored HC candidates Todd Monken, Aaron Glenn, or Anthony Weaver get jobs in this cycle.
I think there is a better than 50/50 chance that Brian Flores gets an HC job. What he did with that Vikings defense, with less talent than last years NFL worst defense, is remarkable. He has displayed the ability to be a very good head coach in Miami and I think he was a finalist for a couple of HC spots in 2022.

Andrew Callahan, a fine reporter, is writing of Belichick to Cowboys as if they're not playing well and have a coaching opening and these scenario articles bug me
I have felt for a while that this is the most logical landing spot for BB...the team is already built to win now and BB has a very good relationship with Jerry and he is one of the few guys I think BB would defer to as far as running the whole operation...the very obvious x-factor is McCarthy is there and if the Cowboys have a good post-season it's a moot point but if they were to underachieve in the post-season again I could definitely see this scenario unfolding.
I'd be shocked and mainly because Jerry has no intention of letting anyone but him run the whole operation.

He did it with Parcells and he did not like it. Team was just not doing well and he needed to get public enthused to help fund his stadium.

I think I pointed out that Jerry is one of the few guys I think BIll would defer to...if he went there, it would only be as a HC (and that appears highly unlikely right now)...I just don't see many other scenarios where BB would go only as a HC.

I think I pointed out that Jerry is one of the few guys I think BIll would defer to...if he went there, it would only be as a HC (and that appears highly unlikely right now)...I just don't see many other scenarios where BB would go only as a HC.
I just don't see it as a match or see BB deferring to anyone in a way he'd have to do in Dallas.

I doubt Dallas wants to get rid of McCarthy but if they did I think they'd just want to hire Quinn, who they like a great deal.

We'll have to agree to disagree that if Bill stays or goes he wont' accept a role a HC only. I think that's going to be his role wherever he goes, and I think he's ok with it. He'll need a level of personel control and feel ok with who he's working with but his days of running it like he owns are I believe over, unless he just overpowers the GM in place which is possible.

NE sticks with Belichick (gives up GM duties) and brings in McDaniels as play caller

Atlanta-Mike Macdonald, young (36) defensive whiz, possibly paired with an experienced hand at OC, maybe Greg Roman as they overlapped in Baltimore?

LA Chargers-Dan Quinn, I think there is a lot of smoke to the idea of hiring Quinn and keeping Kellen Moore at OC.

Washington-Ben Johnson, I think this is a more appealing spot than Carolina. You get to pick your QB and have more playmakers already in place.

Carolina-Bobby Slowik, possibly too early, but teams are chasing that Shanahan coaching tree. I think his work with Stroud will appeal him to Carolina and hoping he can bring the same out of Young.

I'd be surprised if rumored HC candidates Todd Monken, Aaron Glenn, or Anthony Weaver get jobs in this cycle.
I think there is a better than 50/50 chance that Brian Flores gets an HC job. What he did with that Vikings defense, with less talent than last years NFL worst defense, is remarkable. He has displayed the ability to be a very good head coach in Miami and I think he was a finalist for a couple of HC spots in 2022.
I think the 2022 defense was much more a function of Ed Donatell being maybe the worst DC in recent history, than the Vikings lacking talent. Flores has a solid season as DC, but I think he'll have to wait another year, to both prove himself further, and to get that taste of suing the NFL out of owners mouths. I have no doubt he'll get some interviews though, and possibly would have been a stronger candidate had the Vikings not fallen apart down the stretch.

ETA: Vrabel's availability likely pushes Flores down the list some more.

I think the 2022 defense was much more a function of Ed Donatell being maybe the worst DC in recent history, than the Vikings lacking talent. Flores has a solid season as DC, but I think he'll have to wait another year, to both prove himself further, and to get that taste of suing the NFL out of owners mouths. I have no doubt he'll get some interviews though, and possibly would have been a stronger candidate had the Vikings not fallen apart down the stretch.

Yes, when I wrote that Vrabel was the HC for Tennessee. He most likely goes to NE which happened to be the most likely landing spot for BFlo.

I would be extremely surprised if anyone hires Flores as a head coach until his lawsuit is adjudicated. I know he did interviews last year and will again this year, just heard last year that one was going to actually hire him as a head coach until that lawsuit is over and I don't think that has changed.

Yes, when I wrote that Vrabel was the HC for Tennessee. He most likely goes to NE which happened to be the most likely landing spot for BFlo.

I can't picture Flores getting the job over Mayo...but it all may be moot with Vrabel on the market.

I would be extremely surprised if anyone hires Flores as a head coach until his lawsuit is adjudicated. I know he did interviews last year and will again this year, just heard last year that one was going to actually hire him as a head coach until that lawsuit is over and I don't think that has changed.
I thought he was not allowed to continue the case? I thought all of that was in the rearview?

this would shock me.

"Though the source said they never observed friction between Vrabel and Carthon, saying the two "got along fine," the decision did relate to Vrabel's philosophy on running a franchise aligning more with the New England model of one person having a majority of the decision-making power."

Yesterday was how he wanted a czar of sorts overseeing them- probably because he felt backed in a corner for the three on one meeting, the GMs needed overseeing- and then now it came out that he wanted to also be the GM.

Ya don't have two losing seasons and get GM added to your role...maybe if ya win two Superbowls or..idk but definitely not after two losing seasons. That was dumb.

Vrabel is not dumb. I'd guess his disgust yesterday while jobs opened up made some of this calculated even if just his subconscious where ya wish things but won't say it

Diana Russini tweets they thought trading would take too long, be too complicated and Vrabel never asked for a trade

Said earlier, Vrabel is perfect for Atlanta and New England is in rebuild mode.
Take over a former Pees defense and a big back big WR 2TE offense is like his calling card.
Bijan fans would love to know Henry's coach will be coaching him etc etc
He was mentioned yesterday for Atlanta in the rumor mill.
Pats job we've also discussed.

Tennessee loves Arthur and Schwartz so that'll be the initial fan reaction until newness kicks in

Man, just thinking to myself - who’s my favorite head coach in the league if not Vrabel? It’s Dan Campbell but also DeMeco Ryans. Which sucks as a titans fan.

I'm shocked at Vrabel tbh..... sure the last 2 seasons were meh but you traded away one of the best WR in the league and I thought the players liked playing for him :shrug:
There was talk about him leaving but plenty of talk about the pats trading a future first for him.
Guess not.

I agree. Flores seems (at least on the fluff piece the Athletic ran today) to have learned that his hard A$$ approach in Miami didn't resonate with all of his players. I think he should get another chance as sometimes you need to get fired and make mistakes to learn what being a HC really is. I wish him well and am happy he isn't the HC of the Dolphins.

I'm shocked at Vrabel tbh..... sure the last 2 seasons were meh but you traded away one of the best WR in the league and I thought the players liked playing for him :shrug:
Yeah. If it’s true that he was angling to be GM, I can’t 100% blame him. He’s going to get the lion’s share of blame/credit for their record and that team doesn’t have a whole lot of talent IMO.

Yeah. If it’s true that he was angling to be GM, I can’t 100% blame him. He’s going to get the lion’s share of blame/credit for their record and that team doesn’t have a whole lot of talent IMO.
Didnt hear about the GM thing but still surprising

Last edited:
Didnt here about the GM thing but still surprising
I shared it last night

It's so aggravating that they could have got a first (or whatever round pick) for Vrabel and chose the lazy route

I think they gave him his own way out. Trading opens up all teams to bid on him. they owed him at least this.

It's so aggravating that they could have got a first (or whatever round pick) for Vrabel and chose the lazy route
Who is broadcasting that?
Gruden was traded for like a 1st to Tampa but he was a hot commodity
I'm not sure Vrabel is as highly sought after, IMHO

-I understand this season and last were perhaps not his fault and he will coach again but I've never heard anyone discuss him as good for the Offense.
I still see him as a limited Head Coach and there are others just like him except they are the opposite and don't understand defense, like Mike McDaniel as an example.
Head Coach is a difficult spot, don't think you can just be good on one side of the ball in order to survive right now...and if you, Offense seems to be what folks want.

-I understand this season and last were perhaps not his fault and he will coach again but I've never heard anyone discuss him as good for the Offense.
I still see him as a limited Head Coach and there are others just like him except they are the opposite and don't understand defense, like Mike McDaniel as an example.
Head Coach is a difficult spot, don't think you can just be good on one side of the ball in order to survive right now...and if you, Offense seems to be what folks want.
It's a pretty common sentiment.

Vrabel is hands off on offense til they're ignoring something obvious. He'll get involved with blocking any day and he's one to ask guys if they should stay late n work on things rhetorically speaking.
It's very workable when a HC let's an OC be himself and do his thing.
We've gotten too carried away with HC calling plays and subs n such in the NFL. A head coach is a manager first and foremost.

Pat Kirwan thinks Vrabel is a commodity and some team that was thinking of replacing their coach may suddenly fire their's that we don't expect to.

Also today there's a bit on Gruden having helped in Tampa this year and possibly getting an elevated role next year.

Schwartz has let it be known he wants to be a head coach again

Vrabel is hands off on offense til they're ignoring something obvious. He'll get involved with blocking any day and he's one to ask guys if they should stay late n work on things rhetorically speaking.
We've gotten too carried away with HC calling plays and subs n such in the NFL. A head coach is a manager first and foremost.
I am asking WHO in the media is saying that Tennessee could have gotten a 1st Rd pick for Vrabel

-I'm asking also the timeline, do they mean right now or 12 months ago or 2 years ago, when was he worth a 1st Rd pick?
And which team are we talking about that wanted to trade a 1st?

Thanks!

I am asking WHO in the media is saying that Tennessee could have gotten a 1st Rd pick for Vrabel

-I'm asking also the timeline, do they mean right now or 12 months ago or 2 years ago, when was he worth a 1st Rd pick?
And which team are we talking about that wanted to trade a 1st?

Thanks!
Google or search Twitter

Diana russini
@dmrussini
The Titans believed trading Vrabel was too complicated and would take too long, per sources. They wanted to move on quickly. I was told Vrabel never asked ownership for a trade or asked out of Tennessee.

@pftcommenter
Very relatable to make a bad decision because making a good decision would of taken longer and probably involved more paperwork

Hope Vrabel lands on his feet.

There are so many clown organizations in this league I am not sure college isn't going to wind up being the better move for top coaches

Diana russini
@dmrussini
The Titans believed trading Vrabel was too complicated and would take too long, per sources. They wanted to move on quickly. I was told Vrabel never asked ownership for a trade or asked out of Tennessee.

@pftcommenter
Very relatable to make a bad decision because making a good decision would of taken longer and probably involved more paperwork
LBL, I don't see 1st Rd pick and i also do not value Russini, she's made a little name for herself in recent years but knows ZERO about the Xs and Os of football, I know she likes to pretend to have inside info all the time but I stopped listening to her as a source for a while. Dan LeBatard gave her a platform when he was at ESPN, at first I was impressed but lately she is a lot of hot air IMHO.

Appreciate you posting this

Google or search Twitter

No. With all that you've been wrong and keep yammering away about Arthur Smith and Vrabel it's time for you to source.

Your endless love of these guys is dominating threads and is stupid. Start sourcing.
I incorrectly stated two Jaguars stats and apologized but have posted thousands of times in like twenty years but I'm going to change up because of you.
You've got it.
Anything else? Wax your car? Shine your shoes?

Users who are viewing this thread