What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Year end coach meetings, Black Monday coming (2 Viewers)

Diana Russini said Falcons are interested in Belichick.

Falcons still have their GM, worth noting.
Falcons are the proposed destination on a few sites for Belichick and Vrabel- neither of which are available as of now.

Their GM was kept (stated above) but it IS curious that McKay and Blank will lead the coaching search and seek input from him. Usually it's worded more like "we" or "us three" but then again I am picking apart words that probably were just chatty and not intended to be

He's at least open to working with a general manager.
Realistically, no one really knows what is going on and what will happen. A lot of people are trying to read the tea leaves and connect the dots when it comes to BB. I have heard multiple discussions that even if Bill verbally acknowledges that he would be happy to be the HC and work with a GM (in NE or on other franchise), the practical reality is Bill would still be demanding to run the show and make personnel decisions. For example, if a GM drafted or signed someone that Bill didn't want or was not a fan of, there would be a high likelihood that he wouldn't play that guy and would play someone else. Then what? The only way Bill as HC only would work is if there was a hard-nosed owner and a seasoned GM with as much experience as Bill. And that doesn't sound like a combination that BB would have much interest in.

I forgot who I heard interviewed as one of the beat guys, but he said that Bill really wants to stay in NE and would be more amenable to working something out or divesting some responsibilities in order to stay here. He doesn't want to move, he's happy in NE, and NE might get more deference than a new team would in terms of what he could live with as a power and control situation. But that's probably not what's best for the Patriots.

Last edited:
Arthur Smith has been fired.
I get that most fantasy owners hate him for not using Bijan, Drake, and Pitts and that hate is somewhat justified. But is he really a bad coach? He made the Falcons competitive with HORRIBLE QB play (Mariota, Ridder, Heinekie). Its not his fault he had no QB for his tenure.
Why Joba?
Why is it not Smith's fault to not be more combative with the FO/Owner and ask why he has to work with the worst QBs possible?
-I guess if you are an OC/DC you just beg to be a Head Coach and then just follow orders for 2-3 seasons and then go back down to being an Asst Coach, wash, rinse and repeat

I get that most fantasy owners hate him for not using Bijan, Drake, and Pitts and that hate is somewhat justified. But is he really a bad coach? He made the Falcons competitive with HORRIBLE QB play (Mariota, Ridder, Heinekie). Its not his fault he had no QB for his tenure.
Why Joba?
Why is it not Smith's fault to not be more combative with the FO/Owner and ask why he has to work with the worst QBs possible?
-I guess if you are an OC/DC you just beg to be a Head Coach and then just follow orders for 2-3 seasons and then go back down to being an Asst Coach, wash, rinse and repeat
Blank said he was onboard and agreed with each QB decision so this isn't it.
Bijan set the record for touches by a Falcons rookie so that's way overstated to. I know you can name quite a few good Falcons backs MOP so... perspective

He's at least open to working with a general manager.
Realistically, no one really knows what is going on and what will happen. A lot of people are trying to read the tea leaves and connect the dots when it comes to BB. I have heard multiple discussions that even if Bill verbally acknowledges that he would be happy to be the HC and work with a GM (in NE or on other franchise), the practical reality is Bill would still be demanding to run the show and make personnel decisions. For example, if a GM drafted or signed someone that Bill didn't want or was not a fan of, there would be a high likelihood that he wouldn't play that guy and would play someone else. Then what? The only way Bill as HC only would work is if there was a hard-nosed owner and a seasoned FGM with as much experience as Bill. And that doesn't sound like a combination that BB would have much interest in.

I forgot who I heard interviewed as one of the beat guys, but he said that Bill really wants to stay in NE and would be more amenable to working something out or divesting some responsibilities in order to stay here. He doesn't want to move, he's happy in NE, and NE might get more deference than a new team would in terms of what he could live with as a power and control situation. But that's probably not what's best for the Patriots.

Agree with all of this...BB needs to be 100% removed from the personnel-side of things and I don't see that being a situation that is viable with him as a HC.

Why Joba?
Because he was a first time head coach. Power dynamic is way different if they hired a first timer vs a sean Peyton/bill belichek

Vrabel and GM Ran Carthon met.
They're waiting to meet with ownership, team brass.
Levis said Vrabel said he'd let them know something when he knows something.
He told two players he hopes all the staff is back

Because he knew the answer already. The answer was because the team was in the midst of a complete teardown after kicking the can down the road trying to win with Matt Ryan. And if you look at the drafts since he came on board, you tell me which QB they were supposed to take.

I am not a Smith fan, but the fact is he cobbled together as many wins as anyone could expect with that roster. He won 7 or 8 games with Mariota at QB, I think?

He might very be a bad HC, but that cupboard in ATL is pretty bare, and the guys who emptied it are still there.

Because he knew the answer already. The answer was because the team was in the midst of a complete teardown after kicking the can down the road trying to win with Matt Ryan. And if you look at the drafts since he came on board, you tell me which QB they were supposed to take.

I am not a Smith fan, but the fact is he cobbled together as many wins as anyone could expect with that roster. He won 7 or 8 games with Mariota at QB, I think?

He might very be a bad HC, but that cupboard in ATL is pretty bare, and the guys who emptied it are still there.
It is actually a pretty good roster, sans a QB obviously.

He won't attend TE U yet most name TEs do.

Can't speak to most of what you said as I've never seen it reported but also haven't looked that hard. But Pitts has been at TE U (for whatever that is worth). I definitely don't see any OJ Howard in Pitts, just seemed like a guy that didn't fit what the coaches wanted and the coaches were unwilling to adjust scheme to better suit their talent. Which tells me the HC and GM probably weren't on the same page.

Thank God. What a disaster as a coach and I'm not even a Falcons fan. That smug, arrogant doofus completely misused and under-used the all-star talent on that team.

Out of all the coaches on the hot seat, this was the one I was waiting for - and it didn't take long. Good for you Falcons homers - your nightmare is now hopefully over.
Ditto!

Bijan is super impressive considering how poorly he was used. RB9 in PPR formats. He should pretty easily move into the top 5 with a competent head coach.

London is also pretty impressive given the usage/QB situation--he had 69, 905 and 2. He should easily break 1K next year with some positive TD regression.

I also think Pitts could be an absurd sleeper/steal. IIRC, he was still dealing with some knee issues during camp/the early part of the season. If he has a full healthy off-season and a HC that isn't obsessed with getting Jonnu Smith the ball, he should finally get back on track.
I get that a bunch of fantasy guys were upset that their prized RB didn’t get 400 touches or whatever, but that’s not exactly how you win in the NFL.

Atlanta has been a great rushing team since Smith has been there.

Their problem has been QB play. Smith had an aging Matt Ryan, Marcus Mariota, Ridder, and Heineke. I guess Smith should have developed one of these guys?

Thank God. What a disaster as a coach and I'm not even a Falcons fan. That smug, arrogant doofus completely misused and under-used the all-star talent on that team.

Out of all the coaches on the hot seat, this was the one I was waiting for - and it didn't take long. Good for you Falcons homers - your nightmare is now hopefully over.
Ditto!

Bijan is super impressive considering how poorly he was used. RB9 in PPR formats. He should pretty easily move into the top 5 with a competent head coach.

London is also pretty impressive given the usage/QB situation--he had 69, 905 and 2. He should easily break 1K next year with some positive TD regression.

I also think Pitts could be an absurd sleeper/steal. IIRC, he was still dealing with some knee issues during camp/the early part of the season. If he has a full healthy off-season and a HC that isn't obsessed with getting Jonnu Smith the ball, he should finally get back on track.
I get that a bunch of fantasy guys were upset that their prized RB didn’t get 400 touches or whatever, but that’s not exactly how you win in the NFL.

Their problem has been QB play. Smith had an aging Matt Ryan, Marcus Mariota, Ridder, and Heineke. I guess Smith should have developed one of these guys?

It's a fantasy football message board, and we typically DO discuss the fantasy outlook first. So, pardon me if utilizing this message board for its intended purpose bothers you so.

Now if you want to talk NFL, the Falcons spent THREE top 10 picks on skill position guys. Getting your best football players the ball is how you win. I don't know why you're acting like "Well, that's not how you do it..."

VERY Clearly, his strategy isn't winning in the NFL. I don't think that's really up for debate, is it?

We can blame it on the Quarterback situation. But there are an awful lot of backup QB's doing just fine across the NFL. Heinike was MUCH better in Washington. You're going to tell me he just fell off a cliff in terms of talent? It's not the offense being run?

Ditto!

It's a fantasy football message board, and we typically DO discuss the fantasy outlook first. So, pardon me if utilizing this message board for its intended purpose bothers you so.

Now if you want to talk NFL, the Falcons spent THREE top 10 picks on skill position guys. Getting your best football players the ball is how you win. I don't know why you're acting like "Well, that's not how you do it..."

VERY Clearly, his strategy isn't winning in the NFL. I don't think that's really up for debate, is it?

We can blame it on the Quarterback situation. But there are an awful lot of backup QB's doing just fine across the NFL. Heinike was MUCH better in Washington. You're going to tell me he just fell off a cliff in terms of talent? It's not the offense being run?
Whoa. All I’m saying is a lot of posters are piling on the coaching for their star fantasy players not producing when the reality is they should probably look at QB play.

And nobody should be upset that Smith didn’t run Robinson into the ground when he had other very productive players to give the ball.

Anyway. Doesn’t matter. Smith got scapegoated for it.

Ditto!

Whoa. All I’m saying is a lot of posters are piling on the coaching for their star fantasy players not producing when the reality is they should probably look at QB play.

And nobody should be upset that Smith didn’t run Robinson into the ground when he had other very productive players to give the ball.

What productive players did he give the ball to?

Kyle Pitts with his 53 touches?
Drake London with his 69 touches?

No. It was 3.7 YPC Tyler Allgier.

You keep referencing the "prized RB" in Bijan. But people that criticize Smith think Pitts and London should have been much more involved in the offense. You have 3 guys drafted in the top 10, and Smith thinks the best chance at winning is to give Allgier 200 touches? I think it's great and noble to try to preserve Bijan if you can. But if you spend a top 10 pick on a guy--you'd better not go 7-10 while preserving him.

You ignored the part about backup QB's succeeding across the NFL. You ignored the part about Heinike being much more productive in Washington. I think the offense he wanted to run wasn't something that made it easy for the QB's they had.

The importance of head coach isn't always about player utilization and the like.

Arthur Smith seemed like an angry Cliff Clavin. It just didn't feel like he had HC demeanor.

Ditto!

What productive players did he give the ball to?

Kyle Pitts with his 53 touches?
Drake London with his 69 touches?

No. It was 3.7 YPC Tyler Allgier.

You keep referencing the "prized RB" in Bijan. But people that criticize Smith think Pitts and London should have been much more involved in the offense. You have 3 guys drafted in the top 10, and Smith thinks the best chance at winning is to give Allgier 200 touches? I think it's great and noble to try to preserve Bijan if you can. But if you spend a top 10 pick on a guy--you'd better not go 7-10 while preserving him.

You ignored the part about backup QB's succeeding across the NFL. You ignored the part about Heinike being much more productive in Washington. I think the offense he wanted to run wasn't something that made it easy for the QB's they had.
Amen.

Especially the bolded. I mean not sure how anyone can give him a pass at QB when he's had 3 years to fix it and teams with Baker, Flacco and Rudolph starting are in the playoffs. Two of them doing so in a divison were every team had a winning record while he was coaching in the worst division in the league.

I think it's kind of odd that beause he failed to fix the QB issue people actually want to give him a pass for failing at his job. He failed at both.

Diana Russini said Falcons are interested in Belichick.

Falcons still have their GM, worth noting.
Falcons are the proposed destination on a few sites for Belichick and Vrabel- neither of which are available as of now.

Their GM was kept (stated above) but it IS curious that McKay and Blank will lead the coaching search and seek input from him. Usually it's worded more like "we" or "us three" but then again I am picking apart words that probably were just chatty and not intended to be
Blank's presser, he clarified Fontenot GM will be very involved in HC search. Misworded or misunderstood earlier

What's your take on Vrabel? Seems like a good dude that the team loves, but also feels like his teams have been mired in mediocrity.

What's your take on Vrabel? Seems like a good dude that the team loves, but also feels like his teams have been mired in mediocrity.
I’ve thought about this, then I look at the roster and stop. @Bri is probably better suited to speak to it but their build isn’t exactly awe inspiring.

I’ve thought about this, then I look at the roster and stop. @Bri is probably better suited to speak to it but their build isn’t exactly awe inspiring.
They're gonna punch you in the mouth, they're one of the tougher teams, they're a hard hitting team....I love the style he preaches and gets out of them. All that and rarely a dirty hit.

He's loyal as can be and it can be a blessing and a curse. Poor coaches get chances, good coaches are attracted to the opportunity to work with him.

Love that he's hands on and it's pretty regular that he's running a drill being bumped around.

His thoughts on LBs are ridiculous like alot of coaches former positions they played. The Titans have had more than 150 LB transactions since he became coach, maybe more I stopped counting. The guy he likes today may not be liked tomorrow.

The hitting and mentality have defenders loving playing for him. Conversely there's significant doubt if he can lead anything more than a 2 or 3TE offense.

One of the smartest coaches, no doubt, but can also outsmart himself. He seems to have out coached every name at some point. His garbage D stood up to the Fins and Jags with third stringers.
But Demeco running the simplest DL stunts fooled the Titans OL into sacks and clogged all running lanes and Vrabel seemed demoralized.

He and Arthur did a great job saving each other from themselves as did Schwartz and Vrabel.

They're gonna punch you in the mouth, they're one of the tougher teams, they're a hard hitting team....I love the style he preaches and gets out of them. All that and rarely a dirty hit.

He's loyal as can be and it can be a blessing and a curse. Poor coaches get chances, good coaches are attracted to the opportunity to work with him.

Love that he's hands on and it's pretty regular that he's running a drill being bumped around.

His thoughts on LBs are ridiculous like alot of coaches former positions they played. The Titans have had more than 150 LB transactions since he became coach, maybe more I stopped counting. The guy he likes today may not be liked tomorrow.

The hitting and mentality have defenders loving playing for him. Conversely there's significant doubt if he can lead anything more than a 2 or 3TE offense.

One of the smartest coaches, no doubt, but can also outsmart himself. He seems to have out coached every name at some point. His garbage D stood up to the Fins and Jags with third stringers.
But Demeco running the simplest DL stunts fooled the Titans OL into sacks and clogged all running lanes and Vrabel seemed demoralized.

He and Arthur did a great job saving each other from themselves as did Schwartz and Vrabel.
👍🏽 give Vrabel a good OC and talent. He’ll be a Super Bowl coach. But without those, we get a couple years of top 10 picks.

A lot of people are losing their jobs and families are getting bad news. I know it's the business but remember lives change because of these decisions and not just the person being let go.
Not usually relevant here as they'll get paid millions remaining in their contract to stay at home and it's a rite of passage in fandom to bark at a guy that didn't win with "your" team. This usually sinks in a week or so from today.

You're not wrong and it would surely be proper behavior and all. It's like telling people to not be impatient as food is going to other people's tables at a restaurant though
There is lower-level staff that also end up being moved about. I guess I feel more for them. It's the life they choose I get that but also sometimes it is not.

I get what you are saying and it makes sense. Just some staffers are not making more money than we do. And still deal with Black Monday.

Position coaches make about $400k. And most will get a new job. They will be fine. OC/DC/HC are certainly gonna be fine. The guys that I feel for are are the camera operators, video coordinators, locker room staff, equipment managers, etc. They have little to do with the team's wins and losses but will have to up and move their family and hope the coaches they are with get a new gig.

if a GM drafted or signed someone that Bill didn't want or was not a fan of, there would be a high likelihood that he wouldn't play that guy and would play someone else. Then what?

Peter King article today pretty much says Bill is gone but I'm not sure. Same article writing about the Bills McDermott says something about how everyone on the Bills, even the guys at the bottom of the roster, put team first, how that is what it takes to win, rare these days. I'm paraphrasing, and sounds like coachspeak. But made me think this is maybe how the game has passed BB bye; his draft pool is limited to guys who he thinks have that attitude. If that pool keeps shrinking that can only hurt BB the gm, then BB the coach if the guys he drafts have the Patriot attitude but aren't good enough players to resign after their rookie deals. Either way, wasting a 4th and a 6th on a K and P, finished last in %, 6th worst in punt distance, respectively, any Gm should get canned for that.

Just a couple guesses of guys who stay put:

NE sticks with Belichick (gives up GM duties) and brings in McDaniels as play caller

Chicago sticks with Eberflus but hires a new OC.

Vrabel sticks in Tennessee, with a new OC.

Raiders keep Antonio Pierce as HC.

Harbaugh stays at Michigan.

Couple guesses on new HCs:

Atlanta-Mike Macdonald, young (36) defensive whiz, possibly paired with an experienced hand at OC, maybe Greg Roman as they overlapped in Baltimore?

LA Chargers-Dan Quinn, I think there is a lot of smoke to the idea of hiring Quinn and keeping Kellen Moore at OC.

Washington-Ben Johnson, I think this is a more appealing spot than Carolina. You get to pick your QB and have more playmakers already in place.

Carolina-Bobby Slowik, possibly too early, but teams are chasing that Shanahan coaching tree. I think his work with Stroud will appeal him to Carolina and hoping he can bring the same out of Young.

I'd be surprised if rumored HC candidates Todd Monken, Aaron Glenn, or Anthony Weaver get jobs in this cycle.

NE sticks with Belichick (gives up GM duties) and brings in McDaniels as play caller

Atlanta-Mike Macdonald, young (36) defensive whiz, possibly paired with an experienced hand at OC, maybe Greg Roman as they overlapped in Baltimore?

LA Chargers-Dan Quinn, I think there is a lot of smoke to the idea of hiring Quinn and keeping Kellen Moore at OC.

Washington-Ben Johnson, I think this is a more appealing spot than Carolina. You get to pick your QB and have more playmakers already in place.

Carolina-Bobby Slowik, possibly too early, but teams are chasing that Shanahan coaching tree. I think his work with Stroud will appeal him to Carolina and hoping he can bring the same out of Young.

I'd be surprised if rumored HC candidates Todd Monken, Aaron Glenn, or Anthony Weaver get jobs in this cycle.
A few weeks back, Harbaugh was given a suite at Chargers stadium. That to me was hmmmm...

I think Slowik is too early too.

Ben Johnson seems pretty well thought out as far as $ and what he wants. Interesting for a younger guy.

Kellen Moore should be in the list of potential HCs and I'm thrown that he's not while he was the last 2-3 years.
Titans DB coach/some other title Chris Harris was widely hailed as a huge get for Vrabel as he's soon to be a HC. One year later and he's getting no love either?

Tepper's wife wants a committee formed and I don't really know how much of a say she has. I think they're looking for a GM coach combo that knows each other somewhat

A few weeks back, Harbaugh was given a suite at Chargers stadium. That to me was hmmmm...

I think Slowik is too early too.

Ben Johnson seems pretty well thought out as far as $ and what he wants. Interesting for a younger guy.

Kellen Moore should be in the list of potential HCs and I'm thrown that he's not while he was the last 2-3 years.
Titans DB coach/some other title Chris Harris was widely hailed as a huge get for Vrabel as he's soon to be a HC. One year later and he's getting no love either?

Tepper's wife wants a committee formed and I don't really know how much of a say she has. I think they're looking for a GM coach combo that knows each other somewhat
I feel like Carolina is going to be the spot nobody really wants to go to, as Tepper seems like he might be the worst owner in the NFL now that Synder is gone. That's why I put Slowik there, I think they either take a shot on an unproven guy, or a retread nobody else really wants. Since they did the latter with Reich, I think they'll go the other way this time.

I think its gonna be tough for Harbaugh to leave Michigan, especially after a National Title.

I think Kellen Moore gets hurt by Dallas (Dak especially) being better without him this season.

Zero news from Tennessee after a morning meeting where Vrabel critiques Ran and Ran critiques Vrabel.
Owner n staff met with them in a long meeting today and ...nothing.

Josina Anderson puts it at 50/50.
I'd choose Vrabel over Ran. He failed at the same positions JRob did, let Tart walk, and traded fan fave Byard, and ...quite simply they're worse than 2022 with 45 percent turnover.
The other side, in my opinion, is to support the GM that made the team worse and I just can't see that.

Titans have 7th pick and 85 mil, 2nd most available before restructuring and cuts. It wouldn't be hard to attract a GM.

New stadium is two years away and is seen as a deadline for success

I saw several DVOA tweets listing them 29-32nd so I guess it depends

Tenth overall
Tenth on defense

Per FTN and Aaron Schatz. What you're citing is inaccurate. They should check the official web site.

Last edited:
Zero news from Tennessee after a morning meeting where Vrabel critiques Ran and Ran critiques Vrabel.
Owner n staff met with them in a long meeting today and ...nothing.

Josina Anderson puts it at 50/50.
I'd choose Vrabel over Ran. He failed at the same positions JRob did, let Tart walk, and traded fan fave Byard, and ...quite simply they're worse than 2022 with 45 percent turnover.
The other side, in my opinion, is to support the GM that made the team worse and I just can't see that.

Titans have 7th pick and 85 mil, 2nd most available before restructuring and cuts. It wouldn't be hard to attract a GM.

New stadium is two years away and is seen as a deadline for success
I'd choose Vrabel too. They might have their QB in Levis, and at 7 could go LT, WR, or DE.

If Vrabel is fired I think that throws a huge monkey wrench into things, because I think Kraft wants Vrabel. So if Vrabel ends up in NE, I think Belichick could end up in Atlanta, and Macdonald could end up in Tennessee.

ETA: To add to that possible theory, if Belichick goes to Atlanta, I think McDaniels could be OC there (where a more win now nature could lead to signing Russ or even Jimmy G) and Vrabel in NE keeping O'Brien, while also bringing Tannehill over as a bridge QB to whomever they draft at #3.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bri
I saw several DVOA tweets listing them 29-32nd so I guess it depends

Tenth overall
Tenth on defense

Per FTN and Aaron Schatz. What you're citing is inaccurate. They should check the official web site.

You're right, sorry
That's the one sticking in my head and it's offense not defense

"Report from
@JaredStillman
on
@1025TheGame
:

He said per a league source, Vrabel is going to request that ownership hire someone to oversee both he and Carthon in a position that will have “final say.” Stillman reported that Vrabel does NOT want total control over the roster.

Also said Vrabel wants more clearly defined roles for assistant GMs Chad Brinker and Anthony Robinson.

Mentioned as well the possibility that depending how things unfold, Vrabel could be traded to New England or Washington, and could even be fired today, citing “blowups” that have happened as a possible reason."
Reports trickling out that the GM triumvirate was in the room not just Ran and Vrabel. This was not supposed to be the setup and they very much took a position of authority rather than be open to the back n forth and Vrabel was furious.

To act like that while the team is worse since they took over is rrrreally not good on their part.

Amy (owner) and Ken (bud's son, former owner, team and NFL lawyer) do not tolerate fighting within. They are extremely professional types. There's doing things "by the book" and how Kenneth wrote some of the NFLs book.

They all know this.

Now my guess is the Adams went home to sleep on it and decide what to do and everyone else is hoping they don't just fire all of them tomorrow.

Andrew Callahan, a fine reporter, is writing of Belichick to Cowboys as if they're not playing well and have a coaching opening and these scenario articles bug me

Interesting how people either think the Falcons have a strong or weak roster- love/hate almost.
I can't recall having such a variance in common perception like that

Andrew Callahan, a fine reporter, is writing of Belichick to Cowboys as if they're not playing well and have a coaching opening and these scenario articles bug me
I have felt for a while that this is the most logical landing spot for BB...the team is already built to win now and BB has a very good relationship with Jerry and he is one of the few guys I think BB would defer to as far as running the whole operation...the very obvious x-factor is McCarthy is there and if the Cowboys have a good post-season it's a moot point but if they were to underachieve in the post-season again I could definitely see this scenario unfolding.

I have felt for a while that this is the most logical landing spot for BB...the team is already built to win now and BB has a very good relationship with Jerry and he is one of the few guys I think BB would defer to as far as running the whole operation...the very obvious x-factor is McCarthy is there and if the Cowboys have a good post-season it's a moot point but if they were to underachieve in the post-season again I could definitely see this scenario unfolding.
Sounds like Jerry is perfectly happy with McCarthy, although as you say, a quick and ugly playoff exit could change things:

Sounds like Jerry is perfectly happy with McCarthy, although as you say, a quick and ugly playoff exit could change things:

After the season the Cowboys have had I do think it is probably not realistic...but if they completely lay an egg in the first round I would think all bets are off.

Users who are viewing this thread