What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Kenneth Gainwell, PHI (1 Viewer)

Gainwell is 121-531-9 rushing and 56-422-1...that is over 2 years...Penny has legit talent but has played 42 games in 5 years...Boston Scott is a solid role player who has never had more than 375 rushing yards in a season and has a total of 98 receiving yards the last two years...Trey Sermon is Trey Sermon...for a team that likes to run and has Super Bowl aspirations I think anything is on the table here be it in the draft, free agency or trade...the fact they currently don't have picks in the 4-6 rounds makes drafting a RB interesting.

Gainwell is 121-531-9 rushing and 56-422-1...that is over 2 years...Penny has legit talent but has played 42 games in 5 years...Boston Scott is a solid role player who has never had more than 375 rushing yards in a season and has a total of 98 receiving yards the last two years...Trey Sermon is Trey Sermon...for a team that likes to run and has Super Bowl aspirations I think anything is on the table here be it in the draft, free agency or trade...the fact they currently don't have picks in the 4-6 rounds makes drafting a RB interesting.

Scott is on the team for the two Giants games.

Philly letting Sanders walk, signing off-injured Penny and re-signing Scott…this surely means that Gainwell is in line for a much larger share of the running game? Thoughts?

No thoughts until we see what else they bring in…anything is possible with Philly including ending up with Bijan or Gibbs or even dealing for someone like Henry or Cook…I would not be making any assumptions…a lot of different ways this could go.
Yeah that Penny contract is not prohibitive to bringing in a more expensive back one way or another.
I think Cook actually makes a lot of sense and I’m sure the Vikings aren’t asking for much back to dump that contract.

The Philadelphia Inquirer’s Josh Tolentino reports Eagles RB Kenneth Gainwell has been “the team’s featured running back during the two-minute drill” in training camp.
He added that Gainwell has held this role in each of the past two seasons. The Eagles traded for D’Andre Swift in the offseason and the hope for fantasy managers has been that he would take on most of Philly’s work on passing downs. If Gainwell claims that role, Swift is stuck competing for carries with Rashaad Penny, one of the most efficient running backs in the league. Gainwell continues to look like the best value of the three Philly backs being taken in fantasy drafts while the risk on Swift is increasing by the day.

Is this guy still rosterable? Seems buried. Drop for a better backup with an easier path? Or just drop for a dart throw? I don’t see any possibility of playing him. He’s turned into a roster clogger.

Last edited:
I think you’ve gotta hold for a few more weeks of camp, just to see if an injury or trade provides any more clarity. I agree though, that he’s getting tough to roster, regardless of his potential.

I think you’ve gotta hold for a few more weeks of camp, just to see if an injury or trade provides any more clarity. I agree though, that he’s getting tough to roster, regardless of his potential.
Who would you roster between Gainwell and Spiller?

Re: Gainwell vs Swift vs Penny

I have questions…
Who has fewer injury questions?
Did Gainwell actually add muscle mass like they had hoped for last 2-3 off seasons?
Is Swift actually learning playbook?
Does Penny fit their whole Offensive Schemes or is he a limited design option?

We all know that Eagles rotate RBs and limit GL opportunities but where is the value in this backfield???

Probably an avoid backfield for me in redraft. Maybe id grab the ones that slip a round or more from their ADP.

Last edited:

I have questions…
Did Gainwell actually add muscle mass like they had hoped for last 2-3 off seasons?

We all know that Eagles rotate RBs and limit GL opportunities but where is the value in this backfield???

This early into training camp it looks like it's Swift's job to lose.

Spiller just based off of potential to gain more playing time going forward. Both should be on rosters going into season.

Spiller just based off of potential to gain more playing time going forward. Both should be on rosters going into season.
I’m not so sure that is true for Gainwell. That may also not be be true for Spiller if he ends up third string. Spiller didn’t look good at all last year.

I have questions…

Precisely

Gainwell, but I’ve rostered him since his rookie year so slightly biased. I also think Gainwell is a much better RB.

Gainwell, but I’ve rostered him since his rookie year so slightly biased. I also think Gainwell is a much better RB.
If Spiller can be #2 he would have an easier path. Gainwell is buried. I don’t think Gainwell will EVER be viewed as a primary back.

If Spiller can be #2 he would have an easier path. Gainwell is buried. I don’t think Gainwell will EVER be viewed as a primary back.
Barring injuries… I agree

Eagles beat writer Shamus Clancy says Kenneth Gainwell “has increasingly been the team’s early down back where he’s getting touches as a runner.”
As Clancy points out in his article, he assumed free agent signee Rashaad Penny would handle the majority of the early down touches for the Eagles, but Gainwell has “undoubtedly had the stronger camp.” According to Clancy, Gainwell has reportedly “gotten the vast majority of first-team carries” and performed well with his opportunities. Gainwell is currently the third Eagles running back coming off the board in drafts, which could prove to be a massive error by the time the season rolls around. It’s hard to imagine any Eagles running back being the true “featured back” in the offense, but Gainwell is worthy of a late-round flier in one of the league’s best offenses.

Eagles beat writer Shamus Clancy says Kenneth Gainwell “has increasingly been the team’s early down back where he’s getting touches as a runner.”
As Clancy points out in his article, he assumed free agent signee Rashaad Penny would handle the majority of the early down touches for the Eagles, but Gainwell has “undoubtedly had the stronger camp.” According to Clancy, Gainwell has reportedly “gotten the vast majority of first-team carries” and performed well with his opportunities. Gainwell is currently the third Eagles running back coming off the board in drafts, which could prove to be a massive error by the time the season rolls around. It’s hard to imagine any Eagles running back being the true “featured back” in the offense, but Gainwell is worthy of a late-round flier in one of the league’s best offenses.
Season can’t get here soon enough

Pushing for a starting gig? Could this be true? Looks like my bump to slam him because I was tired of rostering someone just taking up space lit a fire under his bum.

I have questions…

There is none.

You’re not going to get any value that is certain. If you want upside, I would probably go with smith, then penny maybe. I do think it’s realistic for gainwell to get maybe 200 touches. He did pretty well last year when he got the ball and I think they do really like him. Can’t imagine him exceeding 200, but I guess that could get him close to 1,000 yds and 50 rec and 7-8 TDs. Hard for me to see any ceiling beyond that given the way the Eagles like to play and the other decent options in the backfield. And he probably has the highest median outcome of any back there. But he could easily end up with the same stats as last year. So what is that worth? Like your RB4 or 5 with flex potential?

Iggles just feel like they are headed towards 3-headed RBBBC hell once again this year. I'm discounting all of their RBs accordingly. Even if one of them gets hurt, they seem ready to plug Scott and/or Sermon right into the mess.

Zach Berman
Of note at RB: Kenny Gainwell and Boston Scott are not in uniform.

Swift, Rashaad Penny, Trey Sermon and Kennedy Brooks are your RBs tonight.

32 Beat Writers
Personally, I think this could be telling. Gainwell may be more involved in the regular season than most expect.
That is interesting. I was very dubious of the "Gainwell could be the primary starter" stuff. But you don't sit the 1b or 1c and play the 1a in the preseason.

Zach Berman

32 Beat Writers
Personally, I think this could be telling. Gainwell may be more involved in the regular season than most expect.
That is interesting. I was very dubious of the "Gainwell could be the primary starter" stuff. But you don't sit the 1b or 1c and play the 1a in the preseason.
As a Gainwell owner I want to believe he's the main dude but my read on this is that he simply has the most experience in their system so they sat him. The other guys are new so the coaching staff wants to get them more reps.

All of the Philly backs will have nice games sprinkled throughout the year. It'll be near impossible to guess when and always feel like a gamble starting one of them.

Zach Berman

32 Beat Writers
As a Gainwell owner I want to believe he's the main dude but my read on this is that he simply has the most experience in their system so they sat him. The other guys are new so the coaching staff wants to get them more reps.

All of the Philly backs will have nice games sprinkled throughout the year. It'll be near impossible to guess when and always feel like a gamble starting one of them.
My take as well. I don't think its a coincidence the most experienced RBs in this offense are the ones who sat. Swift and Penny are still learning the offense and need the game experience. Does anyone really think Scott is above Swift in the rotation?

Zach Berman

32 Beat Writers

My take as well. I don't think its a coincidence the most experienced RBs in this offense are the ones who sat. Swift and Penny are still learning the offense and need the game experience. Does anyone really think Scott is above Swift in the rotation?
That's true. I guess I was assuming that Scott was on his way out, and they just had mo reason to have him on the field. But if that were the case, he probably would be the one getting at least a chance to make his case for a roster spot.

Kind of a Rubik's Cube of a statement. To me at least. Maybe someone else can read it more clearly. Swift got the first few shots, then it was a lot of Penny. But he said it was just Swift's turn to do that. He said Scott and Gainwell will get their turns to do what Swift did. Which was very little. So who is getting the bulk of the action in the other games? Penny again? Or Swift, Gainwell, and/or Scott?

Kind of a Rubik's Cube of a statement. To me at least. Maybe someone else can read it more clearly. Swift got the first few shots, then it was a lot of Penny. But he said it was just Swift's turn to do that. He said Scott and Gainwell will get their turns to do what Swift did. Which was very little. So who is getting the bulk of the action in the other games? Penny again? Or Swift, Gainwell, and/or Scott?
I took it to mean he wants all of his RB's to have a little game action and get tackled to the ground but right now he wanted Penny to get the most work since he's not played in awhile.

TBH none of that really matters to me or why I posted his comments. The main takeaway I had was not to read to much into their usage or lack thereof as being some barometer for the depth chart.

All this means is that I have to keep Gainwell as a roster clogger most likely. It's never going to end :sigh:

All this means is that I have to keep Gainwell as a roster clogger most likely. It's never going to end :sigh:
I have been adding him to trade packages to “sweeten” deals while this news of his potential is spreading
No bites yet… but hope is rising

Someone's going to get injured. Maybe multiple some ones. The problem will be guessing who and/or being able to grab the one who's left standing mid season.

Gainwell is the cheapest right now in redrafts going in the 210's pick wise. Worth a last round flier.

It could also mean Gainwell had an undisclosed minor injury, a simple stomach bug, a muscle cramp etc etc etc before game time.

Having owned other Eagles RBs over the last couple of years it feels like Gainwell has been siphoning high value touches consistently and been a fixture in the 2 minute drill. Seems a no brainer to stash him at his current cost and see how it plays out over the next few weeks.

Preseason Week 2 Fantasy Football Game Recap: Cleveland Browns vs. Philadelphia Eagles

Excerpt:

D’Andre Swift takes the night off: The Eagles rested Kenneth Gainwell and Boston Scott last week, and this week it was Swift's turn to sit out.

It sounds like the plan to play Swift last week and Gainwell and Scott this week was made before the first preseason game.

Gainwell started the game and played the first eight snaps. He ran twice for 6 yards. Scott took over after that point, taking the next three plays, where he lost a yard on his only carry.

Rashaad Penny entered the game immediately after and broke off a 16-yard run on his first carry. However, he played only six snaps over two drives. The fact that he played so little is probably a good sign for his chances of making the roster, as players on the roster bubble typically get more opportunities.

Trey Sermon also got playing time in the second quarter, but he immediately fumbled. He looked better in the second half but clearly remains behind the other four running backs.

At this point, we can be confident that Gainwell is ahead of Scott on the depth chart and that Penny sits fourth.

We know the Eagles' preseason rotations at running back won’t match what they will do in the regular season.

The Eagles typically play certain backs more on early downs compared to late downs in the regular season, but in the preseason they let one back take several snaps in a row, regardless of the situation. They did that today, last week and last preseason.

It’s fair to draft Swift first and Gainwell second, given everything we currently know, but there is no certainty Swift ends up leading the Eagles' backs.

It’s still possible Gainwell will be the better fantasy back. Recent reports suggest he is playing like a feature back, while Swift has gotten most of his praise as a receiving back. This could mean Gainwell takes Miles Sanders’ old role while Swift takes Gainwell’s.

It’s also too early to rule out the possibility that Penny works his way back up the depth chart and sees a significant role on early downs.

The Eagles rested their starters in the last week of the preseason last season, so it’s possible we might not gain much information next week outside of who is and isn’t playing.

Users who are viewing this thread