What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2022 Philadelphia Eagles - Leave Gannon in Arizona and let’s run through the NFC again in 2023. (3 Viewers)

I will call BS on Mahomes over Hurts for MVP. Philly D coming up small doesn't negate Hurts being the best player on the field.
MVP ?? LOL !!!
Hurts is an OK QB on a great team ... more like a decent RB because he cant throw like a QB. He hurls the ball downfield as far as he can into double coverage and hopes that one of his many great receiving targets pulls it. Those WRs and TE's are so unbelievably good at contested catches and adjusting to poorly thrown balls it's crazy.
Even his running is only OK ... Almost any QB in the NFL could make those 1 yard runs with the Best Oline in football plowing through the defense.

Put Hurts on the Giants with the worst OLine, WR's and TE's in the NFL and he would be benched for Tyrod Taylor ... LOL !!!

Aside from the Defense and the Terrible coaching tonight ... Hurts was probably the biggest reason the Eagles lost tonight!
I’m in the Eagles thread now, so I’ll talk a little differently …

I’ll take Jalen throws over Mahomes throws to uncovered, completely wide open, receivers tonight. Ty

I will call BS on Mahomes over Hurts for MVP. Philly D coming up small doesn't negate Hurts being the best player on the field.
MVP ?? LOL !!!
Hurts is an OK QB on a great team ... more like a decent RB because he cant throw like a QB. He hurls the ball downfield as far as he can into double coverage and hopes that one of his many great receiving targets pulls it. Those WRs and TE's are so unbelievably good at contested catches and adjusting to poorly thrown balls it's crazy.
Even his running is only OK ... Almost any QB in the NFL could make those 1 yard runs with the Best Oline in football plowing through the defense.

Put Hurts on the Giants with the worst OLine, WR's and TE's in the NFL and he would be benched for Tyrod Taylor ... LOL !!!

Aside from the Defense and the Terrible coaching tonight ... Hurts was probably the biggest reason the Eagles lost tonight!
Not sure what game you were watching, Hurts made Mahomes look like D2 QB.
Uhh no. Good lord your hate towards Mahomes is similar to Djax hate towards Hurts.

I’m sorry you guys lost like that. Been there a few dozen times so I know exactly how you all feel.
:thanks: it blows in particular just because we could have seen a legit end of the game. i would have been perfectly fine if the ref doesn't call that, KC kicks the FG, and KC stops the Eagles from marching down the field. also sucks because it takes away from the Chiefs win as well since they did the needed 2nd half adjustments and just owned our coaching staff.

i still can't figure out how you get (almost) 2 delay of game penalties on the same drive in the 2nd half like they did :wall:. And count me in the group that won't be shedding tears if both Gannon and Shane getting head coaching gigs in Arizona and Indy respectively after this game

The eagles deserved to lose because they didn’t sack mahomes once. They didn’t turn the ball over once. The gave up a scoop and score DTD. The gave up, basically, a punt return TD.

Eagles defense and ST didn’t show up.

In LII i love ❤️❤️❤️

MVP ?? LOL !!!

I’m in the Eagles thread now, so I’ll talk a little differently …

I’ll take Jalen throws over Mahomes throws to uncovered, completely wide open, receivers tonight. Ty
No joke. even @DJackson10 could have made those passes or at least the current boyfriend (who's a friend of his uncle 's cousin) of the girl who boinked Steve Young 30 years ago could have.

MVP ?? LOL !!!

Not sure what game you were watching, Hurts made Mahomes look like D2 QB.
Uhh no. Good lord your hate towards Mahomes is similar to Djax hate towards Hurts.
I don;t hate Mahomes. KC had 110 RB rushing yards and averaged around 6 ypc, Eagles had 45 and averaged around 2.7 per carry. Look at the quality of throws tonite and Hurts dwarfed Mahomes.

Reactions: JAA
Great season, great roster. Full stop.

Didn’t work out in the end but the Eagles were the best team in football most of the year and the majority of last night. Y’all should be the favorites to return. Incredibly well run franchise & team has no glaring deficiencies.

GL in the off-season.

Hurts was tremendous last night. Even with the fumble that was returned for a TD by the Chiefs, that will go down as one of the best performances ever by the Super Bowl losing QB. I am not convinced Goedert got two feet down with control on that 3rd and 14, but that was an awesome throw by Hurts. There was another 3rd and long where he scrambled to his left and made an awesome throw for a 1st down. As long as they don't overuse him running the ball to where he takes a pounding too quickly and becomes a shell of himself, he should be a good one for years for the Eagles. High character guy as well, which is always key for a franchise QB, IMO.

Hurts was tremendous last night. Even with the fumble that was returned for a TD by the Chiefs, that will go down as one of the best performances ever by the Super Bowl losing QB. I am not convinced Goedert got two feet down with control on that 3rd and 14, but that was an awesome throw by Hurts. There was another 3rd and long where he scrambled to his left and made an awesome throw for a 1st down. As long as they don't overuse him running the ball to where he takes a pounding too quickly and becomes a shell of himself, he should be a good one for years for the Eagles. High character guy as well, which is always key for a franchise QB, IMO.
Hurts was OK ...Thats it ! He had a disasterouse fumble that ultimatly cost the Eagles the game.
The Eagles digraced the NFC and particularly the NFC East

I’m sorry. That was a bullsh*t holding penalty. Brutal way to end a great game.

Shouldn't have come to that. I always say if you are blaming refs for a loss you didn't deserve to win. Eagles shouldn't have put themselves in that situation. They failed to show up in the 2nd half
Who was better, Hurts or Mahomes?
Both were awesome. Hurts had more numbers, but Mahomes was money when it mattered. And both are young enough to call it a draw and see what the future brings

I think numbers can be deceiving here. We had more of the ball then KC most of the game. Held KC. They also missed a possession do to the Fumble return for a TD. Not saying neither was worse but I think if both had similar possession numbers would be similar
Dude, holy schnikeys! Just admit you were wrong in your initial take on Hurts.
Good luck with that. I like Djax a lot. He's a good dude. But he will never admit this.
I like him a lot, too
I like him a good bit but really like his stories the most.
I know more about his co-workers and cousins than I do my own. Good stuff.

Hurts was OK ...Thats it ! He had a disasterouse fumble that ultimatly cost the Eagles the game.

No player, or unit, plays a perfect game. It's about contributing (many) more positive plays than negative plays and when you evaluate the performances in that simple, and objective, way it's clear who came up big and who didn't.

Offense - 10 drives (not counting the last play as a drive; counting the 2-PT attempt as one): Scored on 7, punted on 2, fumbled/gave up a score on 1. +4 contribution.
Defense - 8 drives: surrendered 5 scoring drives, forced 2 punts, forced 1 (missed) FG attempt. -2 contribution.
Special Teams Coverage - 0 KR, 1 punt contained (11 yards), 1 punt not contained (65 yards). 0 contribution.

Then you start looking at impact plays where the offense had 6 explosive plays, 2 "sacks", and 1 TO (+3) while the defense gave up 4 explosive plays and had 0 sacks, 0 TOs (-4.)

The offense more than made up for the one really terrible mistake. The defense did almost nothing to help negate the 31 points they allowed. Whatever the reason (field conditions, not up for the moment, gassed, bad coaching, not adjusting, poor scheme, etc.), there is zero doubt the defense was by far the biggest reason a team that scored the most points in a Super Bowl loss, that converted almost 70% of their 3rd and 4th downs, and had a QB that accounted for 400+ yards and 4 TDs, lost the game.

The game was there for the taking, and we just couldn't seize it.

This was similar to the Eagles win over the Pats...Brady played great but like Hurts had a costly fumble but at the end of the day the fact the D got lit up was the main culprit...Philly had a lot of trouble on non-Hurts running plays (17-45-2.65)...will be interesting to see if they pull the trigger on Bijan with the 10th pick...would make that O even more loaded.

Some morning thoughts:

I really hate losing like that. You know if we get the ball back with at least 1:30 left we have a chance. And I like those odds.

But IMO this game came down to what I’ve been feeling all season: our defense was very overrated. There were several games this season when they looked like they did in the second half. The Texans game comes to mind. Receivers wide open in the middle of the field, busted coverages, bad tackling and run D. There was only one time they stepped up and that was right before the half. I don’t know if it was scheme or what, but we literally had no D the second half. No way should JuJu have been that wide open. Mahomes wasn’t sacked once. Pass rush was pedestrian. After the O tied it up I had NO confidence they’d have a stop. And I was right.

The offense did everything they could to win this game. The fumble return TD was awful and I bet Hurts will have that memory replaying the whole offseason it was 100% his fault. But guess what, they scored on the very next series. And they tied it up with 5 minutes left.

Like my old high school coach used to say “offense fills the seats, but defense wins championships.”

If you take away the fumble, Jalen couldn’t have had a better game and I think he proved himself on the largest stage. Remember he’s only 24. He will have this opportunity again.

Lastly, I gotta give credit to KC. They came out blazing, did some adjustments and scored 3 times back to back.

I hate that everybody is talking about the call. It was a hold. This loss was on the D. If they force a punt with 3:00 left, we eat up the clock and do the victory formation on the KC 10 yard line. That’s how the game should have ended. Sigh.

Well this was a fun season. Love this team and love the fans. Hurts is our guy and now the question is will be get 40 or 50 mil a year. Go Birds!

This was similar to the Eagles win over the Pats...Brady played great but like Hurts had a costly fumble but at the end of the day the fact the D got lit up was the main culprit...Philly had a lot of trouble on non-Hurts running plays (17-45-2.65)...will be interesting to see if they pull the trigger on Bijan with the 10th pick...would make that O even more loaded.
I would think if there is a QB available at 10 you have to think hard about it

Shoo! Shoo!

No player, or unit, plays a perfect game. It's about contributing (many) more positive plays than negative plays and when you evaluate the performances in that simple, and objective, way it's clear who came up big and who didn't.

Offense - 10 drives (not counting the last play as a drive; counting the 2-PT attempt as one): Scored on 7, punted on 2, fumbled/gave up a score on 1. +4 contribution.
Defense - 8 drives: surrendered 5 scoring drives, forced 2 punts, forced 1 (missed) FG attempt. -2 contribution.
Special Teams Coverage - 0 KR, 1 punt contained (11 yards), 1 punt not contained (65 yards). 0 contribution.

Then you start looking at impact plays where the offense had 6 explosive plays, 2 "sacks", and 1 TO (+3) while the defense gave up 4 explosive plays and had 0 sacks, 0 TOs (-4.)

The offense more than made up for the one really terrible mistake. The defense did almost nothing to help negate the 31 points they allowed. Whatever the reason (field conditions, not up for the moment, gassed, bad coaching, not adjusting, poor scheme, etc.), there is zero doubt the defense was by far the biggest reason a team that scored the most points in a Super Bowl loss, that converted almost 70% of their 3rd and 4th downs, and had a QB that accounted for 400+ yards and 4 TDs, lost the game.

The game was there for the taking, and we just couldn't seize it.
No way. Sally in the produce department says it’s all Hurts’ fault

D was so bad.

The D Line is old af. Jordan Davis never got back healthy? We need an OLB and I’m not convinced Blankenship is starter material. He makes some plays but is routinely torched and takes bad angles.

one of the most dissapointing things is i have been looking for the past 10 minutes and can't see a clip of the one Goeddert catch he caught around the linebackers arm. wsa literally one of the best throws and catches i have seen, and wish there was a little more talk about that one. still can't believe he caught that around the LB arm

one of the most dissapointing things is i have been looking for the past 10 minutes and can't see a clip of the one Goeddert catch he caught around the linebackers arm. wsa literally one of the best throws and catches i have seen, and wish there was a little more talk about that one. still can't believe he caught that around the LB arm
That was unreal. Great defense but just a better throw and the catch was stupidly good through the arm of the defender. Then the drive fizzled out and ended up with the punt return.

If quez catches that ball
Quez can't catch that ball. We need another guy.
Quez might be the only guy on the entire roster that I have a lower opinion of now then at the start of the season. I had high hopes but he never seemed to make the plays he needed to make.
Quez had at least a half dozen similar routes this season where he slowed up or needed to pause his route to get his bearings or a bead on the ball, ultimately affecting his chance to make the catch in stride, or make it all.

Speed and hands are useless if you can’t track the ball and lack anticipation or awareness.

Polar opposite is what you saw on the AJ Brown TD catch.

Another disappointment last night was Miles Sanders. From his first carry he looked indecisive and had no burst. He’s always been prone to leaving too much meat on the bone (usually because he picks the wrong hole or tries to bounce outside the running lane), but he looked way off his game.

Quez might be the only guy on the entire roster that I have a lower opinion of now then at the start of the season. I had high hopes but he never seemed to make the plays he needed to make.
Quez had at least a half dozen similar routes this season where he slowed up or needed to pause his route to get his bearings or a bead on the ball, ultimately affecting his chance to make the catch in stride, or make it all.

Speed and hands are useless if you can’t track the ball and lack anticipation or awareness.

Another disappointment last night was Miles Sanders. From his first carry he looked indecisive and had no burst. He’s always been prone to leaving too much meat on the bone (usually because he picks the wrong hole or tries to bounce outside the running lane), but he looked way off his game.
they were saying he got hurt in the game, and when he came back in it was noticeable. not sure when and how it happened, but i think it is pretty certain Miles won't be an Eagle next year unless it is a friendly contract

• Thanks

That game sealed any doubt I had on being ready to let Miles walk. Buh bye.

The defense did almost nothing to help negate the 31 points they allowed. Whatever the reason (field conditions, not up for the moment, gassed, bad coaching, not adjusting, poor scheme, etc.), there is zero doubt the defense was by far the biggest reason a team that scored the most points in a Super Bowl loss, that converted almost 70% of their 3rd and 4th downs, and had a QB that accounted for 400+ yards and 4 TDs, lost the game.
Agreed and it also felt like they ran at will against us at times picking up chunks and keeping us off balance. The coaches and players were outclassed by KC, it’s really as simple as that.

Goeddert is elite. There were so many amazing individual plays by this offense last night. This play above was one example. To me, the most impressive play was Hurts's 2 point conversion run. He was stopped dead and just decided that he was not going to be stopped. Hopefully the QB that they draft at 10 will have that type of will to win.

The coaches and players were outclassed by KC, it’s really as simple as that.
Gannon didn’t speak last night, and if he gets the AZ job, he never will. Nick will stand tall for his guy, as any good leader would, but kinda slimy if Gannon just slinks off into the sunset without having to even answer for his/team’s performance.
I’ve even stood up for him but last night was just inexcusable. Mahomes looked like he was almost ready to cry after hurting his ankle heading into the half. How can you see you aren’t getting pressure and not send a 5th man nearly every down at that point?! If memory serves me right he did it one time in the first few plays after the half and it resulted in like a 3 yard gain by Kelce and he just never did again.

Random thoughts while I wait for the new thread:

The NFL should be embarrassed by that field. Players were talking during the game how it was the worst they've ever played on. Amazed every player didn't twist or sprain something. Pathetic.

Was annoyed by the Smith reversal and the ticky tack call at the end. No one in America, aside from Chiefs fans, wanted to see that. Could have been a fun finish, but oh well.

But of course, not why they lost. Going into the season I had three concerns in order: Hurts, Gannon, special teams. Two of the three crapped the bed. Aside from the costly fumble, Hurts was amazing. If you still doubt him at this point, I don't want to throw insults around, but there is something wrong with you. Defense was complete garbage in the second half. Reid and company completely outcoached Gannon and he had no answers. If the line can't cause havoc, they get picked apart. I do wonder if the crappy field negated their effectiveness some or if they just picked the worst time to suck. No pressure whatsoever, was insane. In the preseason I didn't understand why another punter wasn't brought in for competition and then during the bye why the special teams coach wasn't fired. Blah.

That said, I was surprised they punted at the end. It was 4th and 2, I know they were on the wrong side of the 50, but Nick has gone for it in those situations before. My fear was they'd never get the ball back since the D was such dog **** in the second half, but didn't expect anything like that.

Quez can go. After some bad route running that led to picks and Goeddert coming back, he disappeared down the stretch. Needs to stay invisible and be replaced. That drop was a killer.

JFC, just read that Fangio was around to help the Eagles OFFENSE prepare for the Chiefs defense. What a waste.

The halftime show was insanely boring.

I felt bad for momma Kelce. Had the worst seat in the house next to Goodell. Let the woman enjoy the game!

Two tings I hate the most about games like this, watching with or talking to non-fans about it. My mom is staying with us and during the game was a pia, then this morning had a dentist appointment and she made some small talk about it. Would rather she just gave me a root canal instead of bringing it up before a simple cleaning..

Thoroughly bummed and disappointed. Worry this was their best shot for the next few years, but let's see if Howie has more magic to replace the upcoming FAs and older guys. They wildly exceeded my expectations this year, but now the bar is reset so all they can do is disappoint me going forward. So yay for that!

Worry this was their best shot for the next few years
I’m with you here as well. This was arguably the most talented Eagles team ever IMO. The loss stings and now we’re going to lose coach after coach and a lot of players when we give Hurts big money.
I'm willing to wait to see what Hurts' contract actually looks like. The cap goes up every year so if Howie can keep it team friendly for a year or two, by year 3 it could look like a bargain. Just wait till these other young QBs cash in and see how Hurts' contract looks a few years down the road in comparison.

But yeah, this was obviously a prime opportunity to get one.

I’m with you here as well. This was arguably the most talented Eagles team ever IMO. The loss stings and now we’re going to lose coach after coach and a lot of players when we give Hurts big money.
True but that eventually happens to every team with an elite QB. And one thing that those teams all have in common? They compete for a Super Bowl year in and year out regardless of the injuries and turnovers. Hurts looks to be in the class of Mahomes, Allen, Burroes etc. This team isn’t going anywhere.

True but that eventually happens to every team with an elite QB. And one thing that those teams all have in common? They compete for a Super Bowl year in and year out regardless of the injuries and turnovers. Hurts looks to be in the class of Mahomes, Allen, Burroes etc. This team isn’t going anywhere.
Yup. Mahomes cap number this year was nearly $36 million and the Chiefs looked pretty good. He counts for over $49 million next year. Gotta pay to keep talent, but yeah it gets more difficult.

In Howie we trust.

• Thanks
JFC, just read that Fangio was around to help the Eagles OFFENSE prepare for the Chiefs defense. What a waste.
This was widely seen as something the Eagles put out there when the Fangio two-week thing was going to be reported. They didn’t want to look like Gannon was being undermined…

Last edited:
I think Hurts must be banging Qammy's wife or something.

The Eagles digraced the NFC and particularly the NFC East
Stop it, Eminence.

Random thoughts while I wait for the new thread:

The NFL should be embarrassed by that field. Players were talking during the game how it was the worst they've ever played on. Amazed every player didn't twist or sprain something. Pathetic.

Was annoyed by the Smith reversal and the ticky tack call at the end. No one in America, aside from Chiefs fans, wanted to see that. Could have been a fun finish, but oh well.

But of course, not why they lost. Going into the season I had three concerns in order: Hurts, Gannon, special teams. Two of the three crapped the bed. Aside from the costly fumble, Hurts was amazing. If you still doubt him at this point, I don't want to throw insults around, but there is something wrong with you. Defense was complete garbage in the second half. Reid and company completely outcoached Gannon and he had no answers. If the line can't cause havoc, they get picked apart. I do wonder if the crappy field negated their effectiveness some or if they just picked the worst time to suck. No pressure whatsoever, was insane. In the preseason I didn't understand why another punter wasn't brought in for competition and then during the bye why the special teams coach wasn't fired. Blah.

That said, I was surprised they punted at the end. It was 4th and 2, I know they were on the wrong side of the 50, but Nick has gone for it in those situations before. My fear was they'd never get the ball back since the D was such dog **** in the second half, but didn't expect anything like that.

Quez can go. After some bad route running that led to picks and Goeddert coming back, he disappeared down the stretch. Needs to stay invisible and be replaced. That drop was a killer.

The halftime show was insanely boring.

I felt bad for momma Kelce. Had the worst seat in the house next to Goodell. Let the woman enjoy the game!

Two tings I hate the most about games like this, watching with or talking to non-fans about it. My mom is staying with us and during the game was a pia, then this morning had a dentist appointment and she made some small talk about it. Would rather she just gave me a root canal instead of bringing it up before a simple cleaning..

Thoroughly bummed and disappointed. Worry this was their best shot for the next few years, but let's see if Howie has more magic to replace the upcoming FAs and older guys. They wildly exceeded my expectations this year, but now the bar is reset so all they can do is disappoint me going forward. So yay for that!
pretty much all of this. That's how I am feeling. Good posting!

Yup. Mahomes cap number this year was nearly $36 million and the Chiefs looked pretty good. He counts for over $49 million next year. Gotta pay to keep talent, but yeah it gets more difficult.

In Howie we trust.
Do teams ever front load it using all the free cap they can the first year or always escalates it? It will be interesting for sure but considering we came into the season trying to find out if we had a QB I’ll deal with the issue of paying a franchise QB. 😁

I’m still not over the reversal of the Smith catch either. I don’t see how that can be overturned with all of the angles provided.
My problem with it was the application of the review in relation to the rule, from the NFL rulebook:

SECTION 2 - REPLAY REVIEWS​

All Replay Reviews will be conducted by the Senior Vice President of Officiating or his or her designee. Reviews are conducted in consultation with the Replay Official and the Referee, who will have access to a field-level video monitor.
ARTICLE 1. CHANGING A RULING
An on-field ruling will be changed only when the Senior Vice President of Officiating or his or her designee determines that clear and obvious visual evidence warrants a change.
ARTICLE 2. LENGTH OF REVIEW
A decision must be made within 60 seconds from when video is shared with the Referee on the field.
If it takes 5 minutes or so to perform the review from looking at multiple angles several times, I have a hard time believing that there is "clear and obvious visual evidence" that "warrants a change".

Maybe that's why there is the "60 seconds" stipulation that doesn't seem to be followed in several cases.

A couple more random thoughts:

I remember a lot of odd decisions by Andy during our run in the 2000's that cost us some opportunities and some games. Play calling, personnel, game management, time management, etc. Talk of usually having the second-best coach in playoff matchups and getting outcoached back then. Getting outcoached by him in the SB just made me think back and wish that he had that presence of mind back in the day, he may even still be here.

Doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things but if someone gave me the choice: you'll be in two Superbowls, you have to pick one to win and one to lose, one is as an underdog against Tom Brady, Belichick and the Patriots and the other is as a favorite against Mahomes, Reid and the Chiefs... I prefer this as the outcome. (As a side note, I'd probably swap 2008 vs Rays and 2009 vs Yanks if I had the same option.)

Users who are viewing this thread