What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

UNOFFICIAL COVID-19: NOT the mainstream Narrative (1 Viewer)

I said this already. I know ALOT more people and stories of people being vaxxed and getting covid (heck 8 yankees alone). I have yet to hear a single story of someone getting covid twice. I'm sure it has happened but it seems a lot more rare. 

One of the Yankees (Torres) got it twice, with being vaccinated in between.
If I understand correctly. Torres and most of those other Yankees were asymptomatic. If not for being tested daily due to contact tracing, you wouldn't know about these cases. Furthermore, I believe the CDC isn't reporting cases of vax'd people getting covid unless they at least visit the hospital. 

If I understand correctly. Torres and most of those other Yankees were asymptomatic. If not for being tested daily due to contact tracing, you wouldn't know about these cases. Furthermore, I believe the CDC isn't reporting cases of vax'd people getting covid unless they at least visit the hospital. 
They also had the single shot J&J vaccine, not a double dose.   So they had a higher likelihood of future infection already due to getting a vaccine with lower efficacy, and despite that most were asymptomatic.

So you think when all the data comes out the people that had covid and took the vax will be better protected with less risk?  I will throw 5k on that you are not correct.
Not sure when all the data will be available, but here's a start:

The degree to which infection with SARS-CoV-2 confers protection towards subsequent reinfection is not well described. In 2020, as part of Denmark's extensive, free-of-charge PCR-testing strategy, approximately 4 million individuals (69% of the population) underwent 10·6 million tests. Using these national PCR-test data from 2020, we estimated protection towards repeat infection with SARS-CoV-2.

Methods

In this population-level observational study, we collected individual-level data on patients who had been tested in Denmark in 2020 from the Danish Microbiology Database and analysed infection rates during the second surge of the COVID-19 epidemic, from Sept 1 to Dec 31, 2020, by comparison of infection rates between individuals with positive and negative PCR tests during the first surge (March to May, 2020). For the main analysis, we excluded people who tested positive for the first time between the two surges and those who died before the second surge. We did an alternative cohort analysis, in which we compared infection rates throughout the year between those with and without a previous confirmed infection at least 3 months earlier, irrespective of date. We also investigated whether differences were found by age group, sex, and time since infection in the alternative cohort analysis. We calculated rate ratios (RRs) adjusted for potential confounders and estimated protection against repeat infection as 1 – RR.

Findings

During the first surge (ie, before June, 2020), 533 381 people were tested, of whom 11 727 (2·20%) were PCR positive, and 525 339 were eligible for follow-up in the second surge, of whom 11 068 (2·11%) had tested positive during the first surge. Among eligible PCR-positive individuals from the first surge of the epidemic, 72 (0·65% [95% CI 0·51–0·82]) tested positive again during the second surge compared with 16 819 (3·27% [3·22–3·32]) of 514 271 who tested negative during the first surge (adjusted RR 0·195 [95% CI 0·155–0·246]). Protection against repeat infection was 80·5% (95% CI 75·4–84·5). The alternative cohort analysis gave similar estimates (adjusted RR 0·212 [0·179–0·251], estimated protection 78·8% [74·9–82·1]). In the alternative cohort analysis, among those aged 65 years and older, observed protection against repeat infection was 47·1% (95% CI 24·7–62·8). We found no difference in estimated protection against repeat infection by sex (male 78·4% [72·1–83·2] vs female 79·1% [73·9–83·3]) or evidence of waning protection over time (3–6 months of follow-up 79·3% [74·4–83·3] vs ≥7 months of follow-up 77·7% [70·9–82·9]).

Interpretation

Our findings could inform decisions on which groups should be vaccinated and advocate for vaccination of previously infected individuals because natural protection, especially among older people, cannot be relied on.
To restate, among people who previously had been exposed to SARS-CoV-2, there was ~80% protection against recurrent infection. This number dropped to 47% for people over age 65.

Compared to the mRNA vaccines, those number are worse, as both offer greater than 90-95+% protection against breakthrough infection. Here's one of the vaccine efficacy trials. Of note:

The vaccine efficacy to prevent Covid-19 was consistent across subgroups stratified by demographic and baseline characteristics (Figure 4): age groups (18 to <65 years of age and ≥65 years), presence of risk for severe Covid-19, sex, and race and ethnic group (non-Hispanic White and communities of color). 
Given higher levels of neutralizing antibodies induced by vaccines, I expect those numbers will skew further in favor of vaccines over time.

So how would you like to pay off the bet? I'll accept a $5K donation to the Immunization Action Coalition

The Immunization Action Coalition is an award-winning 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization, headquartered in Saint Paul, Minnesota, with a 30-year history of working tirelessly to make sure that healthcare professionals and the public are up to date on every aspect of vaccination. 

On 6/25/2021 at 8:06 PM, Doug B said:
It’s very, very rare— here was one case in the Netherlands last fall:

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/covid-twice-death-dutch-woman/

EDIT: Found two more such cases — a 74-year-old German man and an 18-year-old American man.
Expand  
If this is your evidence, why do I get vax?
That's not "my evidence" :confused:   You asked if anyone died after a second infection.

But to answer "Why should a person who had COVID prior get a vaccination?": In short, not all immunity is created equal.

Natural immunity is much more likely to be triggered by "the wrong part" of the virus. The SARS-CoV-2 virion is made of four different types of protein -- the "spike protein" you hear about a lot; another called the "envelope protein", a "membrane protein"; and a "nucleocapsid protein" that encases the RNA (the part that hijacks your body's cells into producing more virions).

So. Given infection of one strain of SARS-CoV-2, your body's immune system might luck out and end up producing antibodies that seek and destroy the spike protein. This is what you want, because this is the part of the coronavirus most likely to remain stable throughout various mutations. The SARS-CoV-2 virus needs the spike protein to remain in a just-so configuration. If that spike protein mutates, chances are strong that it will just turn the virion into a non-infectious agent -- and thus a genetic dead end. This makes spike-protein immunity the most effective immunity you can have.

Much more commonly, your immune system will pick up on one of the other proteins in the virus. That will generally be fine for whatever your current COVID infection is. However, "non-spike" immunity is a lot less fine in the future when you're body is faced with a SARS-CoV-2 variant because it will be one of those other proteins your immune system is looking for. And if that variant doesn't have the selfsame protein your immune system learned on ... your immunity will be rendered greatly diminished or even absent altogether.

In contrast, immunity gained via mRNA vaccination is based on teaching your body to respond to the spike protein. The same spike protein all current SARS-CoV-2 variants have and that all future variants are almost certain to have. This gives your immune system a leg up on the major variants observed to date plus ones to come in the future.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cross-posted from another FFA thread:

Preliminary, and will require replication and corroboration. Still worth reporting IMHO. Really hoping this holds up over future studies:

Pfizer and Moderna Vaccines Likely to Produce Lasting Immunity, Study Finds (MSN/New York Times, 6/28/2021)

The vaccines made by Pfizer-BioNTech and Moderna set off a persistent immune reaction in the body that may protect against the coronavirus for years, scientists reported on Monday.

Cross-posted from another FFA thread:

Preliminary, and will require replication and corroboration. Still worth reporting IMHO. Really hoping this holds up over future studies:

Pfizer and Moderna Vaccines Likely to Produce Lasting Immunity, Study Finds (MSN/New York Times, 6/28/2021)

The vaccines made by Pfizer-BioNTech and Moderna set off a persistent immune reaction in the body that may protect against the coronavirus for years, scientists reported on Monday.

Relevant to the "position" taken in this thread:

Based on those findings, researchers suggested that immunity might last for years, possibly a lifetime, in people who were infected with the coronavirus and later vaccinated. But it was unclear whether vaccination alone might have a similarly long-lasting effect.

I'll never understand the compulsion to try and convince people of something that they are clearly never going to consider no matter how how well thought out or factual the argument presented is.
New to the internet, huh? Welcome!

Enjoy your stay, try not to feed the animals.

I'll never understand the compulsion to try and convince people of something that they are clearly never going to consider no matter how how well thought out or factual the argument presented is.
There's a guy I went to high school with who over the past year seems to have gotten a little, shall we say, Q-curious. He was at the 1/6 rally (he insists he didn't enter the Capitol) and has of late become vociferously anti-vax. Now, I grew up in a liberal college town in the Northeast, so most of us are on the left side of the spectrum. I'm not Facebook friends with the guy, but I see him popping up in my classmates' comment sections arguing with people about the vaccine. To be fair, frequently the people he's engaging with are my classmates' non-HS friends who have no idea who this guy is and are probably just trying to counter misinformation. But I just keep seeing the same dynamic play out over and over again. It's clear that the dude is a troll who's deliberately trying to stir #%@# up. Engaging with him just gives his ideas more oxygen. And obviously, nothing these people say is going to change his mind, or even get him to concede an inch.

(Just for the record, I'm not comparing my classmate to anyone in this thread. Just making a broader point agreeing with DallasDMac about the compulsion many people have to engage in arguments even when it's clear there's no possibility of changing minds.)

There's a pretty big furor over one of the current Polio vaccines giving the disease to those vaccinated.  There are real tradeoffs being made in which vaccines are used and how to attack the remaining pockets to try and eradicate polio. 

https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/vpd/polio/hcp/vaccine-derived-poliovirus-faq.html

"Oral polio vaccines cause about three cases of vaccine-associated paralytic poliomyelitis per million doses."

Still better odds than what would happen if the vaccine wasn't given and polio circulates in the community. 
Also, Polio vaccines cause peanut allergies in 7% of infants.

🤓

The Commish said:
In my experience, people ONLY look for 100% assurances in stuff like this when it's something they don't want to do or they are just here to argue.
It seems like most people who are anti vax are also anti anything related to reducing spread; anti masks, social distancing, remote learning, lockdowns, etc. Not really sure what their position is other than complaining about all things trying to be done to try to control it. Either it’s Covid isn’t a big deal or we should just let it rip through and take our chances? Don’t get it.

It seems like most people who are anti vax are also anti anything related to reducing spread; anti masks, social distancing, remote learning, lockdowns, etc. Not really sure what their position is other than complaining about all things trying to be done to try to control it. Either it’s Covid isn’t a big deal or we should just let it rip through and take our chances? Don’t get it.
Pro-ostrich.   Keep heads in the sand and hope things go back to “the good ol’ days.”

It’s really frustrating having friends that just act stupid about this one thing. In one breadth the complaints about issues with school and sports and in another won’t do the simplest thing that’s widely available to ensure that school/sports in the Fall won’t be affected. Luckily, my youngest is 14, so my family including my sister/BIL and parents are all full vaccinated with Pfizer/Moderna. I’m not worried about Delta at all but I feel bad for folks with young kids who can’t get the vaccine. I don’t feel bad at all for people who refuse it for stupid reasons.

I don’t feel bad at all for people who refuse it for stupid reasons.
I'm a pretty empathetic person in general, more so than many FBGs I believe. But I've become pretty hardened to the people that appear on TV, devastated by COVID, after refusing the vaccine. They are usually on telling people they regret not getting it and not to make the same mistake as them. While I appreciate the message, I've pretty much lost the ability to have any empathy for them. They made a choice, the result of which should surprise no rational person, and that choice had consequences. 

I'm a pretty empathetic person in general, more so than many FBGs I believe. But I've become pretty hardened to the people that appear on TV, devastated by COVID, after refusing the vaccine. They are usually on telling people they regret not getting it and not to make the same mistake as them. While I appreciate the message, I've pretty much lost the ability to have any empathy for them. They made a choice, the result of which should surprise no rational person, and that choice had consequences. 
Exactly how I feel. I used to feel so bad and felt lucky to not be affected but when I took my 14 year old for his two shots there were a couple walk-ins but no one else. Nothing like when I got mine where just making an appointment was tough. You could now walk into a Walgreens or CVS and get a free vaccine with a few minute wait.

Trivia question.  Are the protocols for testing positive for covid the same for vaccined and non vaccined people?  Meaning how they test the sample given in the USA.

Trivia question.  Are the protocols for testing positive for covid the same for vaccined and non vaccined people?  Meaning how they test the sample given in the USA.
For a person presenting with symptoms suspicious for covid, a nucleic acid amplification test (usually PCR) is performed. The test measures viral RNA on a swab, typically from the nose/nasopharynx. Vaccination status isn't considered, nor should it interfere with testing.

For a person presenting with symptoms suspicious for covid, a nucleic acid amplification test (usually PCR) is performed. The test measures viral RNA on a swab, typically from the nose/nasopharynx. Vaccination status isn't considered, nor should it interfere with testing.
Incorrect sir.  They "amplify" the sample 27 times for vaccined people as stated on the CDC website and CDC states no direction for unvaccinated people.  The standard used at the beginning of the pandemic was to "amplify" 37 times.  The CDC changed amplification just for vaccinated people.  Just assume I am correct for a second.  Why would they do that?  Makes it really hard to get good data to learn from.

Incorrect sir.  They "amplify" the sample 27 times for vaccined people as stated on the CDC website and CDC states no direction for unvaccinated people.  The standard used at the beginning of the pandemic was to "amplify" 37 times.  The CDC changed amplification just for vaccinated people.  Just assume I am correct for a second.  Why would they do that?  Makes it really hard to get good data to learn from.
You have a link to this CDC page that claims this method is used for vaxxed folks? 

Are you referring to a NAAT? 

@Terminalxylem is way better equipped to answer this, but I think this what you're saying is correct, GB.... at least in not in the context you're presenting it as. 

I've spoken to two buddies who own/administer clinics that provide testing... the process/test is exactly the same regardless of vax status. 

They "amplify" the sample 27 times for vaccined people as stated on the CDC website and CDC states no direction for unvaccinated people.  The standard used at the beginning of the pandemic was to "amplify" 37 times.  The CDC changed amplification just for vaccinated people.
This did not happen:

The CDC didn’t change the Ct value for samples from vaccinated people

Vaccine breakthrough cases occur when a vaccinated person becomes infected. While the vaccines are highly effective at preventing disease, no vaccine is 100% effective. Infections in vaccinated people are also detected using the PCR test.

The PCR test detects the presence of the virus by amplifying a small part of the virus’ genetic material. The number of amplification cycles needed to arrive at a level considered to be a “positive” result is also called the cycle threshold (Ct) value. The Ct value depends on the quantity of virus in a sample. The more virus present, the fewer amplification cycles are needed to reach the level for a positive result, while a low viral load requires more amplification cycles to reach that same level.

As evidence for its claim that the U.S. CDC is “lowering their CT value when testing samples from suspected ‘breakthrough infections’” to “decrease the number of ‘breakthrough infections’ being officially recorded”, the article cited this statement on the CDC website:

“For cases with a known RT-PCR cycle threshold (Ct) value, submit only specimens with Ct value ≤28 to CDC for sequencing. (Sequencing is not feasible with higher Ct values.)”

[NOTE: The italicized line above appears at the link given at the very bottom, in the section titled "How to send CDC sequence data or respiratory specimens from suspected vaccine breakthrough How to send CDC sequence data or respiratory specimens from suspected vaccine breakthrough cases". You have to press the plus sign to read the exact reference to 'Ct value ≤28' -- db]

This is a grossly inaccurate interpretation of the CDC guidance. The guidance applies to samples sent for genomic sequencing, which is a technique used to obtain the genetic sequence of the virus. This technique allows scientists to determine the virus’ lineage and identify variants and provides scientists with important information on how the virus is evolving and how mutations change the way the virus behaves. This information in turn helps to guide public health measures and vaccine development.

As is evident from the statement, the CDC didn’t alter the cycle threshold value for the PCR test used to identify presence of infection. The statement is relevant to genomic sequencing, which is an additional test used on samples that already tested positive for SARS-CoV-2 by PCR. The reason why this guidance is in place is because genomic sequencing requires a relatively large amount of the virus’ genetic material in the sample. Therefore, a sample with only trace amounts of the virus’ genetic material, which would show a high Ct value, wouldn’t be suitable for sequencing.

Not sequencing a sample doesn’t change the fact that someone tested positive for COVID-19 by PCR, meaning that the person is infected, making them a COVID-19 case. Therefore, this CDC guidance has no influence on the number of COVID-19 cases recorded, as the article claimed.

Ugh, it’s sucks so much that people are willing to believe these conspiracy sites over normal news. They’ll accept an article with an agenda siting the CDC or even a FB summary of the article but wouldn’t ever bother reading what’s actually posted on the CDC site. It’s just so sad that people fall for this ####. I even see it in the stock threads. The amount of garbage posts on Reddit that people soak up as fact rather than actually doing some real research is amazing. In the end the only people who get hurt are the ones believing the posts as fact and unquestioning followers. The posters and early investors getting followers make out.

Ugh, it’s sucks so much that people are willing to believe these conspiracy sites over normal news. They’ll accept an article with an agenda siting the CDC or even a FB summary of the article but wouldn’t ever bother reading what’s actually posted on the CDC site. It’s just so sad that people fall for this ####. I even see it in the stock threads. The amount of garbage posts on Reddit that people soak up as fact rather than actually doing some real research is amazing. In the end the only people who get hurt are the ones believing the posts as fact and unquestioning followers. The posters and early investors getting followers make out.
:goodposting:

It's part of the reason I've given up discussing vax with the unvaxxed. With the personality type who chooses to follow and believe tinfoil hats, there's no getting through.

You aren’t correct, at least not universally so. 

I order covid tests all the time. They screen a lot of info, but vaccination history isn’t included. Only very recently has their been a push to add vaccination status to the electronic medical record.

Some labs reduced the suggested number of cycles performed in nucleic acid amplification tests to make the tests less sensitive months ago, before vaccines were even available.  This standard is applied to all samples, irrespective of vaccination status, out of concern the tests were picking up small quantities of viral RNA which didn’t necessarily correlate to clinical infection. This was particularly true for people recovering from covid, whose tests already remain positive for weeks-month+, despite resolution of symptoms and infectivity.

There is no conspiracy to make it easier for unvaccinated people to test positive for covid, but I welcome any linked info you can provide to support differential standards for covid testing.

Confirmation bias is already a ginormous problem, but add financial incentive to the mix and willingness to accept garbage really goes off the rails.

There’s a several hundred page thread on this very forum which includes Olympic level mental gymnastics.

It does suck.   It also sucks that CDC has fueled this by being somewhat inept at times.

You aren’t correct, at least not universally so. 

I order covid tests all the time. They screen a lot of info, but vaccination history isn’t included. Only very recently has their been a push to add vaccination status to the electronic medical record.

Labs reduced the suggested number of cycles performed in nucleic acid amplification tests to make the tests less sensitive months ago, before vaccines were even available.  This standard is applied to all samples, irrespective of vaccination status, out of concern the tests were picking up small quantities of viral RNA which didn’t necessarily correlate to clinical infection. This was particularly true for people recovering from covid, whose tests already remain positive for weeks-month+, despite resolution of symptoms and infectivity.

There is no conspiracy to make it easier for unvaccinated people to test positive for covid, but I welcome any linked info you can provide to support differential standards for covid testing.
https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/covid-19/downloads/Information-for-laboratories-COVID-vaccine-breakthrough-case-investigation.pdf

Now its simple, show me the standard and I will be proven incorrect.
The guidance you linked to is not guidance regarding breakthrough case identification -- it is guidance about collecting specimens from breakthrough cases so that the viral genome (e.g. specific variant/strain) can be identified.

Now its simple, show me the standard and I will be proven incorrect.
You keep popping into this thread, laying down claims or telling people they are wrong, then multiple people with actual experience to answer your questions/claims refute them and you fail to come back and ever admit you may be mistaken. Then you disappear for a while, come back, rinse and repeat.

Do you even consider the possibility you may be mistaken? 

You keep popping into this thread, laying down claims or telling people they are wrong, then multiple people with actual experience to answer your questions/claims refute them and you fail to come back and ever admit you may be mistaken. Then you disappear for a while, come back, rinse and repeat.

Do you even consider the possibility you may be mistaken? 
I may be mistaken.  Now show me the cdc testing directive.  From their website like I showed from their website.

You guys are an insane cult.

I have said get the jab if you never had covid.

I want data, thats it but yet again there is none on people who had covid.

I want you to show me from the cdc website the testing directive.   You can't.

I want data and truth.  What the heck do you want?

OSHA if your employer wants to get vaccinated and you do.   Your employer does not need to report any side effects you have to OSHA..

Maybe, I am the crazy one.  But, let's try this.  If an employer requires you to get the vax, and you have side effects, report them but we will not make your employer liable.

You have a link to this CDC page that claims this method is used for vaxxed folks? 

Are you referring to a NAAT? 

@Terminalxylem is way better equipped to answer this, but I think this what you're saying is correct, GB.... at least in not in the context you're presenting it as. 

I've spoken to two buddies who own/administer clinics that provide testing... the process/test is exactly the same regardless of vax status. 
Simple answer is, and I am guessing you saw the cdc directive link.  If it was all the same, why make that directive if it was what is/what being done.

In the end the main question has never been answered.  Why are they still EUA?

Its all proven now, right?
Would be nice if the FDA had approved already, no doubt. It is coming though. When approved would that matter to antivaxers? Doubt it. Even if approved now they’d probably just say the approval was rushed, or can’t trust the FDA. 

They applied for BLA it's up to the FDA now 

Pfizer says it’s seeking a priority review, which the FDA defines as “a 6-month review of the entire BLA rather than the usual 10-month review.”

I may be mistaken.  Now show me the cdc testing directive.  From their website like I showed from their website.
You didn't link to what you thought you linked to. 

I understand that in CavWorld... that's some ironclad #### you linked to. But here in reality, that's not what you think it is, as explained above. 

Nobody can link to a CDC directive for handling testing breakthrough cases... because they're handled exactly the same as regular cases. I love ya buddy, and I know you're prone to some errratic posts late night after some cocktails.... but that's the reality. 

Question: Once it's off EUA and approved, will you drop your objections? 

If not, then why are we even discussing that straw man? 

OSHA if your employer wants to get vaccinated and you do.   Your employer does not need to report any side effects you have to OSHA..

Maybe, I am the crazy one.  But, let's try this.  If an employer requires you to get the vax, and you have side effects, report them but we will not make your employer liable.
Not OSHA's bailiwick. Discussed between JerryG and I in one of the Political Forum COVID threads (Link1) (Link2). You can read the relevant OSHA regulations at the links.

Another federal agency, the Department of Health and Human Services, already has a vaccine side-effects reporting system set up called VAERS. Any providers giving the shot will know all about this, and anyone vaccinated should have received instructions on how to contact VAERS either online or by phone. Your physician will also know to contact VAERS if you present with probable vaccine side effects. 

I want data and truth.  What the heck do you want?
Why don't you just continue to not get the shot and quit worrying about what the FFA thinks? You call other posters cultist, yet you seem to fit that definition much more than anyone you continue to argue this over. Your fervor really is unmatched in this thread. It really is a classic case of  :potkettle: .

You didn't link to what you thought you linked to. 

I understand that in CavWorld... that's some ironclad #### you linked to. But here in reality, that's not what you think it is, as explained above. 

Nobody can link to a CDC directive for handling testing breakthrough cases... because they're handled exactly the same as regular cases. I love ya buddy, and I know you're prone to some errratic posts late night after some cocktails.... but that's the reality. 
Yup, if @Doug B's post didn't register even a little bit, I doubt anything will re-rail that train. 

Just wait until he finds out the CDC doesn't establish testing standards and none of the NAATs have received full FDA approval 🤯 

For the record, there is no universally agreed upon cycle threshold for NAAT positivity. 

https://documents.cap.org/documents/cycle-threshold-ct-values-questions-and-answers.pdfSome clarifying info, from people responsible for test interpretation:

Ct-values are not standardized across specimen sources, testing platforms, or laboratories. Although Ct-values have been correlated with prognosis and infectivity in some studies, there is an opportunity to over-interpret results or attribute false precision to a Ct-value. Other studies have identified infectious virions can be present in specimens that yield high Ct-values. Additionally, a significant portion of SARS-CoV-2 nucleic acid amplification testing is performed using methods other than PCR, which do not produce a Ct-value, and a reliance on Ct-values may complicate or delay management decisions or duplicate testing.
From the guys who authorized the tests:

Q: Can laboratories report Ct values for authorized molecular diagnostic COVID-19 tests? (New 12/10/20)

A: Yes. Laboratories performing molecular diagnostic COVID-19 tests for the qualitative detection of SARS-CoV-2 report test results as being positive or negative. Under the molecular diagnostic emergency use authorizations (EUAs), laboratories can also report cycle threshold (Ct) values for authorized molecular diagnostic COVID-19 tests they perform. Ct values indicate the number of amplification cycles needed to reach the threshold at which a molecular diagnostic test can detect a positive signal. Ct values are not comparable between tests and may not be comparable between different lots of the same test, as they are dependent on various factors such as the specimen collection, storage, transport, time from collection, nucleic acid target, primers and probes, extraction method, amplification method, instruments used, etc. Therefore, if the same sample from an individual is tested with two different tests, or even the same test from different lots, they are likely to return different Ct values, even if both tests return a "positive" test result.

While a low Ct value is generally considered to indicate a higher viral load in a patient specimen (i.e., less amplification is needed to detect a positive), and a high Ct value is generally considered to indicate a lower viral load in a patient specimen (i.e., more amplification is needed to detect a positive), currently there is no consensus as to whether or not particular Ct values correlate with a person being or not being infectious or risk level for disease severity. So, appropriate care should be taken with interpretation of Ct values.
NIH statement

SARS-CoV-2 reinfection has been reported in people who have received an initial diagnosis of infection; therefore, a NAAT should be considered for persons who have recovered from a previous infection and who present with symptoms that are compatible with SARS-CoV-2 infection if there is no alternative diagnosis (BIII). However, it should be noted that persons infected with SARS-CoV-2 may have a negative result on an initial NAAT and then have a positive result on a subsequent test due to intermittent detection of viral RNA and not due to reinfection.13 When the results for an initial and a subsequent test are positive, comparative viral sequence data from both tests are needed to distinguish between the persistent presence of viral fragments and reinfection. In the absence of viral sequence data, the cycle threshold (Ct) value from a positive NAAT result may provide information about whether a newly detected infection is related to the persistence of viral fragments or to reinfection. The Ct value is the number of PCR cycles at which the nucleic acid target in the sample becomes detectable. In general, the Ct value is inversely related to the SARS-CoV-2 viral load. Because the clinical utility of Ct values is an area of active investigation, an expert should be consulted if these values are used to guide clinical decisions.
For good measure, this is what the CDC thinks:

Ct values should not be used to determine a patient’s viral load, how infectious a person may be, or when a person can be released from isolation or quarantine.

An RT-PCR test uses multiple repeating amplification cycles to create more and more copies of the virus’ genetic material. Specimens with lower amounts of virus will require more cycles to amplify that genetic material to reach an amount that can be detected, resulting in a higher Ct value. Thus, there is a correlation between the Ct value and the amount of starting viral genetic material that was present in the specimen.

For both qualitative and quantitative RT-PCR assays, the correlation between Ct values and the amount of virus in the original specimen is imperfect. It is therefore problematic to infer any relationship between an individual patient’s Ct value and their viral load. Ct values can also be affected by factors other than viral load. For example, if the specimen is not collected or stored properly or the specimen is collected early during the infection, the Ct value may be higher than it would be under ideal conditions. Thus, a high Ct value could also result from factors notrelated to the amount of virus in the specimen. The correlation between Ct and viral load can be used to evaluate data from groups of people and infer the difference in the relative amount of viral load between the two groups (e.g., between symptomatic and asymptomatic individuals).

Users who are viewing this thread