What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Indie Folk / Folk Rock: Thread for exploring these genres? (1 Viewer)

Rattle and Hum

Footballguy
Searched thread titles without luck. Mumford & Sons was quite refreshing when they hit in 2009 but I never dove in deeper. During the COVID lockdown I got into Fleet Foxes and Lumineers (other than Hey Ho song). I can't help but think there are many more songs (and ultimately artists) to explore.

I'm especially interested in those that shade more towards folk without going full fledge folk.

Please post link to the folkish thread or links to songs worth checking out if it doesn't already exist. Thanks!

Last edited:
Indie rock always seems like such a broad genre, but as far as 21st century bands who get that label, Death Cab for Cutie, Arcade Fire and The Decemberists are all bands where I'd call myself a big fan.

My favorite genres. Most of the following lean more on the folk than rock side I think.

Tallest Man on Earth, Andrew Bird, The Shins, Phosphorescent, Neutral Milk Hotel, Father John Misty, Grizzly Bear, Nick Drake, Elliot Smith, Okkervil River, She & Him, Mountain Goats, Band of Horses, Patty Griffin

My favorite genres. Most of the following lean more on the folk than rock side I think.

Tallest Man on Earth, Andrew Bird, The Shins, Phosphorescent, Neutral Milk Hotel, Father John Misty, Grizzly Bear, Nick Drake, Elliot Smith, Okkervil River, She & Him, Mountain Goats, Band of Horses, Patty Griffin
I was just about to recommend a few of these artists that hadn't already been mentioned.

I'll add Lord Huron, Lula Wiles, the Dodos, Sufjan Stevens, Beirut, Adrianne Lenker, Bonny Light Horseman, Jose Gonzalez, Edward Sharpe & the Magnetic Zeros.

Bert Jansch (or Pentangle) if you want to go old school

It’s a hit or miss genre for me and something I definitely have to be in the mood for. Sometimes it’s just too slow and mopey

Not sure where these will land on the genre spectrum.

Users who are viewing this thread