What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Markus Wheaton - Underrated? (2 Viewers)

^^^What was the mistake on the TD throw?
Not keeping his toes in bounds. My lord he's a pro. You think Brown would have made that mistake?
Whoops or was that Bey?
oof
Ok and I was the only one drinking during the game?
lol well I can confirm that you were most definitely not the only one drinking during that game.
x2, but that was classic DHB. always almost enough...

He had a ball go right through his arms. The pass was in traffic, but right on the money
I was concerned with this, too. He was going to get completely sandwiched on that play if he adjusted to the ball. So I guess I'd rather he 'live for another day'. BUT could be a big problem going forward. Can't play scared.

^^^What was the mistake on the TD throw?
Not keeping his toes in bounds. My lord he's a pro. You think Brown would have made that mistake?
Whoops or was that Bey?
oof
Ok and I was the only one drinking during the game?
lol well I can confirm that you were most definitely not the only one drinking during that game.
x2, but that was classic DHB. always almost enough...
There's no such thing as "classic DHB" that resulted in him actually catching a ball.

I think for now he's a hold. He started getting more looks later in the game after DHB showed his incompetence. He was also the target of a 2 pt conversion and made a great sideline catch. I'll give it at least one more week to see how they adjust their game plan.

He had a ball go right through his arms. The pass was in traffic, but right on the money
I was concerned with this, too. He was going to get completely sandwiched on that play if he adjusted to the ball. So I guess I'd rather he 'live for another day'. BUT could be a big problem going forward. Can't play scared.
That was terrible. Ball went right through his arms.... didn't even get his hands on it! If he doesn't catch that ball because of a big hit I would understand but he never gave himself a chance.

He looked to be an afterthought in the first half game plan. He had at least two clear drops. He had a nice toe tapping catch late but it came in the fourth when the Pats had a commanding lead and softened their coverage. I doubt Ben throws that pass if the Pats were in normal coverage and I doubt Wheaton comes down with it in that situation as well.

Could be first game jitters but that isn't a good thing in and of itself so there is not much to be optimistic about right now.

Stonehands Wheaton, after his 3rd drop you could tell Ben was pissed, he's JAG all day, move on.

Once Bryant is back he'll be lucky to be the WR3, looks like DHB might have a shot at it.

He looked like he always has. Inconsistent and not trustworthy. A healthy Bryant would've changed a lot about what the Steelers offense could do and how they'd finish drives.

He'll end up the WR3 only because DHB is so bad, but he'll never be a guy I'd ever want in my lineup unless his hands and concentration improve.

He'll be worthy of a spot start during the next 3 weeks, depending on the matchup and who else you have on your roster. I didn't draft him with any expectation beyond Week 4 anyway.

Stonehands Wheaton, after his 3rd drop you could tell Ben was pissed, he's JAG all day, move on.

Once Bryant is back he'll be lucky to be the WR3, looks like DHB might have a shot at it.
I don't think so. Once Bryant comes back as a deep threat, DHB will be sort of useless and Wheaton can shift to the slot full-time. That said, Wheaton was really unimpressive last night. And I remember when Brown was trying to make it with the Steelers in 2011. They run a lot of single and double wideout sets, and that will only increase when Bell comes back, so I'm not sure how often Wheaton will operate from the slot, and if he won't be used for anything more than as a warm body to draw some coverage away from Bryant and Brown. But I didn't think he had a bad drop until late in the fourth on that seam route that led him into two defenders to almost get crushed.

A. Brown got a buddy ball earlier in the game, too, and looked back at Ben like, "What are you doing?"

Last edited by a moderator:

Huh? Ur called that diving attempt a drop? That would've been a miraculous catch.

Huh? Ur called that diving attempt a drop? That would've been a miraculous catch.
Yeah, that wasn't a drop.

From what I could tell, Ben was looking for Wheaton in the first half, but he just couldn't get open.

Jack White said:
Manster said:

Yeah, that wasn't a drop.

From what I could tell, Ben was looking for Wheaton in the first half, but he just couldn't get open.
It hit him in the hands, I guess it was a bit difficult, regardless what I saw from him last night outside of the nice sideline grab doesn't make me think he will be more than a WR5 this year, time will tell.

Someone above mentioned it didn't look he was getting open. I think that's about it. Route running/getting open......that's what he excelled in in college, go figure. I think he has good ball skills, but you gotta get open. I think at this point, he is what he is........

Yah when the game was still up in the air he was no where to be found. Brown, Miller, and DHB were getting the targets.

We know Brown is read #1, but no way should Miller and DHB have more targets than Wheaton (garbage time doesn't count). If they are it means Wheaton is not getting open.

LOFL @ "garbage time doesn't count". Welcome to my new, dynamic 3 1/2 quarters of football fantasy league everybody!

I took a flyer with him last year based on Ben's hyping him up and the apparent opportunity. Looked the same to me again this year, an average WR who should be better than he is in a prolific O.

LOFL @ "garbage time doesn't count". Welcome to my new, dynamic 3 1/2 quarters of football fantasy league everybody!
Garbage time cannot be counted upon unless you expect the Steelers to be down by two TDs in the fourth quarter every week.

When NE was playing their base defense Wheaton was a non-factor.

Garbage time cannot be counted upon unless you expect the Steelers to be down by two TDs in the fourth quarter every week.

Pitt was a 7 point dog Einstein. Garbage time was to be expected.

Garbage time cannot be counted upon unless you expect the Steelers to be down by two TDs in the fourth quarter every week.When NE was playing their base defense Wheaton was a non-factor.
I get the points count the same, but context matters when you're trying to determine if he's a sleeper or waiver wire fodder.

I am sure you realize that 7 is not 14 (I will refrain from the childish insults) but do you think this thread and concerns about Wheaton are only about week 1?

Manster said:

There is nothing miraculous about a diving catch, when the WR comfortably gets both hands on the ball. You expect any competent WR to make that catch.

Manster said:

There is nothing miraculous about a diving catch, when the WR comfortably gets both hands on the ball. You expect any competent WR to make that catch.
C'mon, it was an overthrow and the the ground caused the incompletion. You can't put that on Wheaton.

Manster said:

C'mon, it was an overthrow and the the ground caused the incompletion. You can't put that on Wheaton.
Yea c'mon man. The guy hasn't lived up to expectations, but that's pilin on. That catch makes sportscenter if he holds on. He was completely extended like a center fielder divin in the gap.

Chaka said:
kOOk said:
Chaka said:
kOOk said:

I am sure you realize that 7 is not 14 (I will refrain from the childish insults) but do you think this thread and concerns about Wheaton are only about week 1?
I am sure you realize that 7 is a ton in the NFL (this isn't college and I will refrain from the naiveté you just displayed) but if you understand magic football you would gather so much as to find that teams sometimes have to come from behind. Crazy, I know. And that it just might indicate that the other team will likely be flinging it more than usual. Whoa!

But by all means don't let that fact (or their as-advertised crappy D) deter you from backtracking to some pseudo coach-speak reach about NE's "base defense".

Again, make sure to keep in mind that "garbage time doesn't count".

Garbage time is the heyday of FF. Hope this helps.

Chaka said:
kOOk said:
Chaka said:
kOOk said:
Garbage time cannot be counted upon unless you expect the Steelers to be down by two TDs in the fourth quarter every week.When NE was playing their base defense Wheaton was a non-factor.
I am sure you realize that 7 is a ton in the NFL (this isn't college and I will refrain from the naiveté you just displayed) but if you understand magic football you would gather so much as to find that teams sometimes have to come from behind. Crazy, I know. And that it just might indicate that the other team will likely be flinging it more than usual. Whoa!

But by all means don't let that fact (or their as-advertised crappy D) deter you from backtracking to some pseudo coach-speak reach about NE's "base defense".

Again, make sure to keep in mind that "garbage time doesn't count".

Garbage time is the heyday of FF. Hope this helps.
:thumbsup:

Perfect example of what makes the Shark Pool......whatever it has become.

I'm a big Wheaton fan. He was the man in college......that said, the guy stinks in the NFL. He can't get open....he's plenty athletic, he just hasn't progressed in the NFL.

I can't imagine he's with the steelers next season. Maybe he'he'll get a 2nd chance somewhere, but won't have high expectations

For some reason chemistry was an issue with Big Ben to Emmanuel Sanders as well. Sanders could never get on track in Pitt yet became a stud in Denver and looks like a complete WR. Now I have no idea if it actually is a chemistry issue of if Wheaton is just not cut out in the NFL, but maybe he can catch on with a different team.

For some reason chemistry was an issue with Big Ben to Emmanuel Sanders as well. Sanders could never get on track in Pitt yet became a stud in Denver and looks like a complete WR. Now I have no idea if it actually is a chemistry issue of if Wheaton is just not cut out in the NFL, but maybe he can catch on with a different team.
Honestly I don't think Wheaton is far off in his own thinking. He's working out of the slot and competing with Miller for targets. I don't think any slot receiver will be successful there until Heath retires. Bryant's different in that he's a big target who goes deep. He doesn't get a lot of targets either. He just tends to do a lot with what he does get.

200 yard games vs good defenses don't grow on trees. They don't happen in Seattle. And they don't happen with mediocre receivers. Do people really expect that Wheaton just goes back to his background role? Antonio is absolutely the primary weapon so there's that, but this has to be called something like a breakout game.

200 yard games vs good defenses don't grow on trees. They don't happen in Seattle. And they don't happen with mediocre receivers. Do people really expect that Wheaton just goes back to his background role? Antonio is absolutely the primary weapon so there's that, but this has to be called something like a breakout game.
Why would this one game supersede the entire body of work to date? Bryant is simply a better WR.

Markus Wheaton - WR - Steelers
Steelers coach Mike Tomlin hinted Markus Wheaton's 201-yard breakout performance was opponent specific and unlikely to recur.
"When you're playing a team like that, and I think we even talked about it earlier in the week, if they're matching Richard Sherman, then other guys not named Antonio Brown are going to have opportunities," Tomlin said. "Let's not make too much out of that." Despite the huge game, Wheaton remains well behind Antonio Brown and Martavis Bryant on the target totem pole. He does not need to be added is standard redraft leagues.

jurb26 said:
SaintsInDome2006 said:
Why would this one game supersede the entire body of work to date? Bryant is simply a better WR.
Yup. In 7 of his 11 games this year, Wheaton has under 20 yards receiving. In all but 2 games, he has less than 5 targets. His 2014 numbers aren't much better. As long as Bryant, Brown and Heath are in the lineup, Wheaton will not really be a significant part of this offense. Last week was a fluke.

Bryant is likely out for the year. Does Wheaton's role change? He did very little for the first four games with Bryant out last year. Then he had the Seattle game where they decided not to cover him. Is he sneaky great and undervalued (Emanuel Sanders). Or is he a guy that will struggle with more defensive attention (D. Adams). 

Users who are viewing this thread