What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Tiger Woods (2 Viewers)

'tommyboy said:
'FavreCo said:
One thing about golf and eras, it is actually possible to determine who is better. You can actually stick Woods with Jack's clubs and let him play the courses and see how he does. He will not do as well.
Considering the courses jack played were 1000 yds shorter than today, im sure tiger would do just fine.
:own3d: :headbang:

I sure hope fin and his JuniorNB alias don't pay off the mods to axe this thread. There will come a time when they wish that would happen. Actually, that time probably already passed. But it'll just get worse for them, and more awesome for everyone else.

I sure hope fin and his JuniorNB alias don't pay off the mods to axe this thread. There will come a time when they wish that would happen. Actually, that time probably already passed. But it'll just get worse for them, and more awesome for everyone else.
Can you show a post in this thread by either of us which said he'd never win another tournament? Or wouldn't be competitive? Or that even stated he'd never win another major? When this thread was created, Woods was a virtual lock for the all-time majors record. He hasn't won a single one since. He has to do a whole lot of winning to make Finless, or me, or anyone else, want this thread deleted. And I don't mean winning a few rinky dink tournaments and being in the chase on Sunday for a few majors. The dude has to start winning a few. In 2009, he was head and shoulders above anyone else in the sport. Guys would tremble when they saw him on the leaderboard come Sunday. His fall from grace may be unprecedented in sports history. The original post in this thread states that the Golden Bear has nothing to worry about. It was a genius prediction. If anything, YOU should be going back and deleting your posts. Especially the ones where you ask why Finless is hiding after Woods leads a major on a Thursday, only to choke once again over the weekend.

Can you show a post in this thread by either of us which said he'd never win another tournament? Or wouldn't be competitive? Or that even stated he'd never win another major? When this thread was created, Woods was a virtual lock for the all-time majors record. He hasn't won a single one since. He has to do a whole lot of winning to make Finless, or me, or anyone else, want this thread deleted. And I don't mean winning a few rinky dink tournaments and being in the chase on Sunday for a few majors. The dude has to start winning a few. In 2009, he was head and shoulders above anyone else in the sport. Guys would tremble when they saw him on the leaderboard come Sunday. His fall from grace may be unprecedented in sports history. The original post in this thread states that the Golden Bear has nothing to worry about. It was a genius prediction. If anything, YOU should be going back and deleting your posts. Especially the ones where you ask why Finless is hiding after Woods leads a major on a Thursday, only to choke once again over the weekend.
Translation- I'm far too busy trying to cover the tracks of my "Jeremy Lin is one of the best PGs in the NBA" predictions to worry about how silly I look in this thread.

And to that clown talking about 210cc drivers as if he has any idea what that means, Tiger was using a 265cc 975D up through about 2002, if I recall correctly, which was much smaller than what the other guys were using. The rest of the guys were well into the high 300s by that point. Prior to that was the Deep Face 9 that he used going back to when he was still using Eye 2s. That was even smaller and was notorious for not having a sweet spot. He won three US Amateurs and the Masters by 12 shots with that driver, while everybody else was using oversized heads. Watch the Masters footage from '97. Even the US Open from '00. His driver was tiny.

Anyone else hear Azinger (I think) say something to the effect of "he's just not the same guy he used to be" towards the end when it was obvious he had no chance but of course they were still showing most of his shots? I couldn't help but think of this thread when I heard that.

He lost his invincibility in 2009 when he let no name YE Yang beat him and later the wife thing.

Translation- I'm far too busy trying to cover the tracks of my "Jeremy Lin is one of the best PGs in the NBA" predictions to worry about how silly I look in this thread.
Did you see the contract he just signed? You're having a pretty crappy day. Might want to challenge a different member. I seem to destroy you anytime you try engaging me. Find someone down at your intelligence level.

Anyone else hear Azinger (I think) say something to the effect of "he's just not the same guy he used to be" towards the end when it was obvious he had no chance but of course they were still showing most of his shots? I couldn't help but think of this thread when I heard that. He lost his invincibility in 2009 when he let no name YE Yang beat him and later the wife thing.
He was invincible before 2009? How come he lost so much?Or maybe you mean he can't win any more, which is weird because he's won three times this year.This is a bunch of oversimplified armchair psychiatrist nonsense. Woods used to be way better than everyone else, so he won more often. Now he's just a little bit better than anyone else (in part because his game isn't quite as good and in part because the competition has improved), which means he won't win as often but he'll still win a lot. That's it. End of analysis. Anyone saying differently after the fact is basically making the same arguments as Skip Bayless talking about LeBron. Yes, that's exactly how dumb you/they sound.

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Anyone else hear Azinger (I think) say something to the effect of "he's just not the same guy he used to be" towards the end when it was obvious he had no chance but of course they were still showing most of his shots? I couldn't help but think of this thread when I heard that. He lost his invincibility in 2009 when he let no name YE Yang beat him and later the wife thing.
He's never been invincible. The closest was 2000. I'm not into predictions, but I think it's safe to say we won't see anything like that again in our lifetimes. The rest of the times (2007, for example) he's just played great, consistent, smart golf. He's working his way back to that. This invincibility talk is not real.

When leading or tied after 3rd round of a major he was.

Well prior to YE Yang anyway...

I should've been clearer.

Just my opinion I guess. Seems like he has lost confidence and other players aren't scared to see his name at the top of the leaderboard anymore. See The Masters couple of years ago, he was leading in round 4. I guess we will have to see if he can close it out though if he ever is in that position again.

He hasn't been in that position since, so how can you draw any conclusions?
:lmao: I believe you're at least bright enough to draw a conclusion from your own statement. It used to be a common occurence.
Sigh.The conversation was about Tiger being "invincible." Posters pointed out that he never was. Poster then clarified that he only meant to say that he was invincible in X circumstance. I then pointed out that he hasn't been in X circumstance so his point was meaningless.

Setting aside the obvious trolling/stupidity (can't figure out which he is) of JuniorNB, the parallels between the Tiger haters and the LeBron haters are really striking. They keep changing the criticism to fit the narrative.

For LeBron, it was "he chokes in the playoffs" or "he chokes in the fourth quarter" or "he can't make the big shot," and he knocked those off one by one until they were left only with "he hasn't won a title." And now the haters are mostly silent.

This is following an almost identical pattern. "His game is shot, he'll never be great again," to "he'll never win again," to "he'll never be the best in the world again," and now all that's left is "he'll never win a major again." And that will eventually happen too, just as it did with LeBron, and all the haters will be left to move on to the next icon upon whom to project their own insecurities. The resemblance is uncanny. Any theories on who will be next after Tiger?

:lmao: I believe you're at least bright enough to draw a conclusion from your own statement. It used to be a common occurence.
Sigh.The conversation was about Tiger being "invincible." Posters pointed out that he never was. Poster then clarified that he only meant to say that he was invincible in X circumstance. I then pointed out that he hasn't been in X circumstance so his point was meaningless.

Setting aside the obvious trolling/stupidity (can't figure out which he is) of JuniorNB, the parallels between the Tiger haters and the LeBron haters are really striking. They keep changing the criticism to fit the narrative.

For LeBron, it was "he chokes in the playoffs" or "he chokes in the fourth quarter" or "he can't make the big shot," and he knocked those off one by one until they were left only with "he hasn't won a title." And now the haters are mostly silent.

This is following an almost identical pattern. "His game is shot, he'll never be great again," to "he'll never win again," to "he'll never be the best in the world again," and now all that's left is "he'll never win a major again." And that will eventually happen too, just as it did with LeBron, and all the haters will be left to move on to the next icon upon whom to project their own insecurities. The resemblance is uncanny. Any theories on who will be next after Tiger?
sighYou might want to go back and read the very first post of this three year-old thread. No one is moving the goal posts except the Tiger knobbers.

Just my opinion I guess. Seems like he has lost confidence and other players aren't scared to see his name at the top of the leaderboard anymore. See The Masters couple of years ago, he was leading in round 4. I guess we will have to see if he can close it out though if he ever is in that position again.
When? If you're talking about the 2011 Masters, he was tied for the lead for a brief moment, but that was just because the leaders hadn't made it to the scoring holes yet. It wasn't a question of him "holding" the lead as much as it was the other contenders also making their birdies on the Par 5s and elsewhere on the back.By the way he was seven shots back at the start of that round, and trailed not just McIlroy (who fell apart) but also seven other guys, including a three shot deficit to the eventual winner. He shot 67 in the final round. Even 2000 Tiger couldn't have won the tournament that day.

Last edited by a moderator:

sighYou might want to go back and read the very first post of this three year-old thread. No one is moving the goal posts except the Tiger knobbers.
You might want to stop bringing all the rope necessary to hang yourself. Not every post in the thread is addressing the OP. Sometimes in life, people start new conversations. The above scenario was a new conversation. Grunt twice if you understand.

Wow I will put it in a notebook to be super-specific on this board! I'm not a LeBron or Tiger hater.
You don't have to be super-specific. Just accurate. If you say X, then X should be true.You're not coming across as a hater, no worries there, but you are giving them false ammo.

I'm guessing that this thread can be divided into people who watch golf on TV regularly and/or play the game frequently on one side, and people who aren't regular golfers and only watch the majors on the other. The former recognizes just how good 2012 Tiger Woods is at golf, how hard it is to win three times in a year, how big Bay Hill, the Memorial and the AT&T are on the calendar, and how steep the odds are against you in a single given tournament even if you're the best player in the world. The latter pop out of their holes four times a year to chirp. Just a hunch.
Can only speak for myself, but I peep out of my hole about 6 times a year. :) Tiger is ranked #2 for a reason. Donald is #1 and he hasn't won a single major. They're both incredible golfers. What is this thread about again?
So my hunch was correct. Thread is about Tiger Woods. If you're trying to say this thread is about Tiger Woods winning at majors, anyone who watches a lot of golf would point out that the odds are against any player- even the best in the world- winning a particular major or one of a handful of majors. That's just how the sport works when you invite 156 of the world's best. One or two bad breaks can end it because the margin for error is so slim. If Tiger's ball in the bunker on #6 lands a foot shorter, there's a good chance he wins the Open. It didn't, so he didn't. Because the sport is so fickle and so dependent on the performances of others and good and bad breaks, I'd say that to judge whether he'll win majors again you need to wait until he's played in more than a handful post-scandal. Like maybe 15 or so, I'd say.People who play a lot and watch a lot understand that. People who don't do either don't understand it. That seems to be the way this thread is going.
Ok, so we can either postpone this thread for a few years or just continue to speculate. I'll continue to speculate b/c I'm at work so why not. Btw, you being a golfer I assume and knowledgeable about the sport, that triple on 6. Why not just take the drop in the bunker and up and down it like McDowell did a few holes later in a similar spot for a bogey? Even if Tiger pulled off a miracle bunker shot, there's no way he was parring that hole. I just don't see the risk reward.
Because he takes a stroke for the drop...and he's still in the bunker. If he thinks he can get out of the bunker and on to the green, than dropping it back is USELESS. Of course, in hindsight, we know he didn't get it out...but we don't play sports in hindsight.

I'm guessing that this thread can be divided into people who watch golf on TV regularly and/or play the game frequently on one side, and people who aren't regular golfers and only watch the majors on the other. The former recognizes just how good 2012 Tiger Woods is at golf, how hard it is to win three times in a year, how big Bay Hill, the Memorial and the AT&T are on the calendar, and how steep the odds are against you in a single given tournament even if you're the best player in the world. The latter pop out of their holes four times a year to chirp. Just a hunch.
Can only speak for myself, but I peep out of my hole about 6 times a year. :) Tiger is ranked #2 for a reason. Donald is #1 and he hasn't won a single major. They're both incredible golfers. What is this thread about again?
So my hunch was correct. Thread is about Tiger Woods. If you're trying to say this thread is about Tiger Woods winning at majors, anyone who watches a lot of golf would point out that the odds are against any player- even the best in the world- winning a particular major or one of a handful of majors. That's just how the sport works when you invite 156 of the world's best. One or two bad breaks can end it because the margin for error is so slim. If Tiger's ball in the bunker on #6 lands a foot shorter, there's a good chance he wins the Open. It didn't, so he didn't. Because the sport is so fickle and so dependent on the performances of others and good and bad breaks, I'd say that to judge whether he'll win majors again you need to wait until he's played in more than a handful post-scandal. Like maybe 15 or so, I'd say.People who play a lot and watch a lot understand that. People who don't do either don't understand it. That seems to be the way this thread is going.
Ok, so we can either postpone this thread for a few years or just continue to speculate. I'll continue to speculate b/c I'm at work so why not. Btw, you being a golfer I assume and knowledgeable about the sport, that triple on 6. Why not just take the drop in the bunker and up and down it like McDowell did a few holes later in a similar spot for a bogey? Even if Tiger pulled off a miracle bunker shot, there's no way he was parring that hole. I just don't see the risk reward.
Because he takes a stroke for the drop...and he's still in the bunker. If he thinks he can get out of the bunker and on to the green, than dropping it back is USELESS. Of course, in hindsight, we know he didn't get it out...but we don't play sports in hindsight.
It was getting to the point where he needed to get more aggressive and start taking on some risk/reward shots. He was obviously not comfortable hitting driver, so those chances were going to come elsewhere. The worst case scenario was supposed to leave the ball where he would have dropped it more or less. He got a horrible bounce.

You might want to stop bringing all the rope necessary to hang yourself. Not every post in the thread is addressing the OP. Sometimes in life, people start new conversations. The above scenario was a new conversation. Grunt twice if you understand.
Yeah, I got that, Einstein. And the 'new conversation' just adds to the point of the OP, which is that Tiger now is no longer what what Tiger used to be. Kick your leg back twice if you get that.

Watching the final round yesterday, I had a hunch this might be the tournament that would make the Tiger knobbers' heads explode. This thread has certainly taken on a nasty vibe now. I almost hope Woods finally wins one soon. The frustration and longing to be able to tell Finless, me, and the other non-warshipprs that 'you told us so' is really starting to take it's toll. :popcorn:

Watching the final round yesterday, I had a hunch this might be the tournament that would make the Tiger knobbers' heads explode. This thread has certainly taken on a nasty vibe now. I almost hope Woods finally wins one soon. The frustration and longing to be able to tell Finless, me, and the other non-warshipprs that 'you told us so' is really starting to take it's toll. :popcorn:
You probably shouldn't call other people "knobbers" and then discuss how they are the ones being nasty. Just as you probably shouldn't confuse "it's" and "its" and then insult other posters' intelligence. Some people might consider that ironic. Or just sad.

You might want to try reading it.You have moved them severaltimes.

You probably shouldn't call other people "knobbers" and then discuss how they are the ones being nasty. Just as you probably shouldn't confuse "it's" and "its" and then insult other posters' intelligence. Some people might consider that ironic. Or just sad.
Its what he does...on multiple boards.Has got to just be schtick.

It's official. I'm pulling for Woods in the PGA. I can't bear to see the frustration anymore. It's turning nice guys into bitter posters. I'm on your side, good buddy. :thumbup:

It's official. I'm pulling for Woods in the PGA. I can't bear to see the frustration anymore. It's turning nice guys into bitter posters. I'm on your side, good buddy. :thumbup:
This is also typical newbie schtick...act like everyone else is frustrated because his argument is basically that anyone not thinking Woods is done is a "knobber".He is in desperation mode now.

This is also typical newbie schtick...act like everyone else is frustrated because his argument is basically that anyone not thinking Woods is done is a "knobber".He is in desperation mode now.
LOLOL Desperation? I've looked like a crystal ball reader for three years now in this thread. It's the Tiger knobbe supporters who are getting despertate and nasty. What on God's earth do I have to be desperate about? Being right for three years and 100 posts? :popcorn:

He's done. He'll be competitive but he lost the fear factor. Looks like The Gold Bear might be out of the woods.
What about this has not proved profound?
The fact that he was dominant in 2009? Six wins, three 2nds, 14 top 10s, #1 in all-around category, #1 birdie average, won FedEx Cup, $20M+ in prize money, #1 in scrambling, #1 in scoring average, #1 in...you get the point.http://web.tigerwoods.com/onTour/seasonStatistics?year=2009

And the fact that he has managed to bring himself back to where he is now from where he was even just one year ago and is still two years ahead of Jack's pace. "Looks like the 'Gold' Bear might be out of the woods?" Before the fire hydrant? Please. He may have temporarily lost the "fear factor", whatever that means, but calling that as though the final accounting is in is silly.

LOLOL Desperation? I've looked like a crystal ball reader for three years now in this thread. It's the Tiger knobbe supporters who are getting despertate and nasty. What on God's earth do I have to be desperate about? Being right for three years and 100 posts? :popcorn:
Yes...like when you claim those supporting Woods are frustrated.You make things up simply to keep up your usual crap...just as you do with RP on FFT.

You are the only one who seems to be getting so nasty...you can't go a few posts without calling someone a knobber...hell, go back a few pages and read the other childish names you sling.

That reeks of desperation.

Yes...like when you claim those supporting Woods are frustrated.You make things up simply to keep up your usual crap...just as you do with RP on FFT.You are the only one who seems to be getting so nasty...you can't go a few posts without calling someone a knobber...hell, go back a few pages and read the other childish names you sling.That reeks of desperation.
I've come to the conclusion that he has to be a kid. Probably high school.

Yes...like when you claim those supporting Woods are frustrated.You make things up simply to keep up your usual crap...just as you do with RP on FFT.You are the only one who seems to be getting so nasty...you can't go a few posts without calling someone a knobber...hell, go back a few pages and read the other childish names you sling.That reeks of desperation.
Nope...not really. Just a very immature guy...I won't spread anymore about him...but his schtick is well known at FFT.

Nope...not really. Just a very immature guy...I won't spread anymore about him...but his schtick is well known at FFT.
You guys crack me up. I've made you look bad for three years so I have to be a child or immature. Hilarious.Oh, and ShoNuff, if I were youi , I would NEVER mention anyone's shtick or reputation over at FFT. You can hardly even post there anymore. I don't think you have a single friend over there. Thinking you're a clueless moron may be the only thing RP and I have in common. :banned:

Plan B....since Tiger had failed once again to win a major, let's turn our attention to attacking one of his detractors. That'll make us feel better. LOL :popcorn: Hope you have better luck at the PGA. :thumbup:

You guys crack me up. I've made you look bad for three years so I have to be a child or immature. Hilarious.Oh, and ShoNuff, if I were youi , I would NEVER mention anyone's shtick or reputation over at FFT. You can hardly even post there anymore. I don't think you have a single friend over there. Thinking you're a clueless moron may be the only thing RP and I have in common. :banned:
A. You have not made anyone except yourself look bad. The constant "knobber" and other terrible gay innuendo you have used is what makes you a child.B. Seriously...grow up man. You and RP...yeah, those are the types of people I really care about what you two think of me.Hah!!!And your next post...you have been attacking his supporters the whole time.

There was no way he was getting that ball remotely close; that ball didn't come close to getting out. Best case, he gets it onto the green and has to two put for a bogey. We saw close to worst case; really worst case would've been that 2nd bunker shot from the knees not getting out which it somehow miraculously did. OTOH, he takes the drop in the middle of the bunker instead of being on the edge and has a reasonable up and down like the one McDowell had a few shots later for a bogey. There's taking calculated risks, but that was just a train wreck.

Worst case is the ball coming back and touching him.
Yeah...it was not a great move at all.I think the overconfidence got to him and the jump he would get if he makes that huge shot.Think of how easily that shot up against the tree could have gone bad years ago.

He's done. He'll be competitive but he lost the fear factor. Looks like The Gold Bear might be out of the woods.
What about this has not proved profound?
The fact that he was dominant in 2009? Six wins, three 2nds, 14 top 10s, #1 in all-around category, #1 birdie average, won FedEx Cup, $20M+ in prize money, #1 in scrambling, #1 in scoring average, #1 in...you get the point.http://web.tigerwoods.com/onTour/seasonStatistics?year=2009

And the fact that he has managed to bring himself back to where he is now from where he was even just one year ago and is still two years ahead of Jack's pace. "Looks like the 'Gold' Bear might be out of the woods?" Before the fire hydrant? Please. He may have temporarily lost the "fear factor", whatever that means, but calling that as though the final accounting is in is silly.
Worth expanding further on. The events immediately following Finless's comment - clearly he saw that Tiger's golf game was crashing down:6/4 -

6/7 the Memorial Tournament

Muirfield Village Golf Club; Dublin, Ohio

69-74-68-65

276 (-12)

$1,080,000

6/18 -

6/22 U.S. Open Championship

Bethpage State Park; Farmingdale, N.Y.

ScorecardStatsLeaderboard

T6

74-69-68-69

280 (E)

$233,350

7/2 -

7/5 AT&T National

Congressional Country Club; Bethesda, Md.

64-66-70-67

267 (-13)

$1,080,000

7/16 -

7/19 The Open Championship

Turnberry Resort; Ayrshire, Scotland

CUT

71-74

145 (+5)

7/30 -

8/2 Buick Open

Warwick Hills Golf & Country Club; Grand Blanc, Mich.

71-63-65-69

268 (-20)

$918,000

8/6 -

8/9 WGC-Bridgestone Invitational

Firestone Country Club; Akron, Ohio

68-70-65-65

268 (-12)

$1,400,000

8/13 -

8/16 PGA Championship

Hazeltine National Golf Club; Chaska, Minn.

67-70-71-75

283 (-5)

$810,000

8/24

Notah Begay III Foundation Challenge

Atunyote Golf Club; Verona, N.Y.

9 of 18 skins

$230,000

8/27 -

8/30 The Barclays

Liberty National Golf Club; Jersey City, N.J.

T2

70-72-67-67

276 (-8)

$495,000

9/4 -

9/7 Deutsche Bank Championship

TPC Boston; Norton, Mass.

T11

70-67-72-63

272 (-12)

$165,000

9/10 -

9/13 BMW Championship

Cog Hill Golf & Country Club; Lemont, Ill.

68-67-62-68

265 (-19)

$1,350,000

9/24 -

9/27 THE TOUR Championship

East Lake Golf Club; Atlanta

67-68-69-70

274 (-6)

$810,000

10/8 -

10/11 The Presidents Cup

Harding Park Golf Course; San Francisco

United States

(19.5-14.5)

11/5 -

11/8 WGC-HSBC Champions

Sheshan International Golf Club; Shanghai

T6

67-67-70-72

276 (-12)

$190,000

11/12 -

11/15 JBWere Masters

Kingston Heath Golf Club; Heatherton, Australia

66-68-72-68

274 (-14)

$270,000

the fact that tiger is held to a standard of anything short of a major win is a failure is all you need to know about his greatness.

he will be back to world #1 by end of 2013.

Plan B....since Tiger had failed once again to win a major, let's turn our attention to attacking one of his detractors. That'll make us feel better. LOL :popcorn: Hope you have better luck at the PGA. :thumbup:
i guess if you measure his "dominance" on winning majors then you're right. But given the way he is playing pretty well again, i don't think he's done winning majors, and wont be surprised a bit when he breaks jacks record. He's 36 years old, all he has to do is win one per year the next 5 years. Most likely he'll win 2 in one of those years and he'll probably get a bonus one or two when he's in his mid 40's like jack did, and Ernie Els just did yesterday. Also, the fact that you measure only Tigers game by "winning majors" is proof that you and everyone else implicitly acknowledge how dominant Tiger is. Its not enough for him to win tournaments, he has to win majors.

So, after Finless's comment, Tiger won five of his next 10 tournaments, with three second place finishes. :lmao:

But obviously that kind of play is going to lead to other players not being too concerned with you.

Users who are viewing this thread