What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Tiger Woods (1 Viewer)

Bad decision to try and hit that. Zinger is right. Take the unplayable.
So hard to tell yourself to do that when you think you can pull off a shot. Most golfers have too much bravada to take the unplayable. The second sand shot from his sitting down position was masterful. not enough to save him from a triple bogey though. OUCH. Officially out of it now.
Yeah, Zinger needs to chill. He obviously didn't feel like he could give a shot, possibly two, back, given how far behind he was. It was a calculated risk that didn't work out.

One thing about golf and eras, it is actually possible to determine who is better. You can actually stick Woods with Jack's clubs and let him play the courses and see how he does. He will not do as well.

Bad decision to try and hit that. Zinger is right. Take the unplayable.
So hard to tell yourself to do that when you think you can pull off a shot. Most golfers have too much bravada to take the unplayable. The second sand shot from his sitting down position was masterful. not enough to save him from a triple bogey though. OUCH. Officially out of it now.
Too soon to say this for sure...ALL the leaders are struggling.

One thing about golf and eras, it is actually possible to determine who is better. You can actually stick Woods with Jack's clubs and let him play the courses and see how he does. He will not do as well.
Is everyone else going to have to go to the old equipment also? Are they going to shorten the courses and turn some of the par 4s back into par 5s?
Doens't even have to play against anyone. Just take Jacks 210cc driver out there and try and perform like Jack did on these courses. Compare what he scores to what Jack scored and you will find he doesn't fare as well. Equipment is the same. It doens't matter when you do it. It can be done.The guy can't even hit a driver straight half the time. Once he pulls it out, you know it's desperation mode and the game is over as you saw in the US open and as you see today.Just had to send a search party out to find his ball.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep.

Tiger finishes fourth. Nothing to sneeze at...certainly not worth the level of criticism he's getting in here.

You know standards have dropped for the man when those on his bandwagon are high-fiving each other on him finishing in the top 5 of a major. Winning the majors used to be the standard, but now I guess they are just happy when he finishes near the top. :thumbup: :thumbup:

Has anyone else in golf consistently finished this high in this many events this year?
:shrug: Adam Scott has more top-20 finishes, fewer missed cuts this season (and fewer tournaments placed 40 or greater).Ernie Els has more top-20 finishes, the same number of top-5s, and one more major.He is tied for 19th most top-tens this season on the PGA tour.

Another tough day. Hated to see Scott (or almost anyone for that matter ...) lose it that way. Nice to the classy Els win with that last clutch putt. Guy finishes 70th+ in putting and win? I'd say he struck the ball pretty well.

You know standards have dropped for the man when those on his bandwagon are high-fiving each other on him finishing in the top 5 of a major. Winning the majors used to be the standard, but now I guess they are just happy when he finishes near the top. :thumbup: :thumbup:
Sure...winning the majors is the standard.But when a thread is created calling the guy done...and a few of you still thinking this...laughing at that foolishness is what is going on here.

Has anyone else in golf consistently finished this high in this many events this year?
:shrug: Adam Scott has more top-20 finishes, fewer missed cuts this season (and fewer tournaments placed 40 or greater).Ernie Els has more top-20 finishes, the same number of top-5s, and one more major.

He is tied for 19th most top-tens this season on the PGA tour.
Scoreboard, girl dog!
:shrug: Ask a different question next time if you want to know who is leading the FedEx cup points. Know who finished first last year? Nick Watney. Tiger = Nick Watney :thumbup:

:shrug: Adam Scott has more top-20 finishes, fewer missed cuts this season (and fewer tournaments placed 40 or greater).Ernie Els has more top-20 finishes, the same number of top-5s, and one more major.

Scoreboard, girl dog!
:shrug: Ask a different question next time if you want to know who is leading the FedEx cup points. Know who finished first last year? Nick Watney. Tiger = Nick Watney :thumbup:
When you declare a guy finished and then he's the top golfer this year, you're not right by any measure.

Scoreboard, girl dog!
When you declare a guy finished and then he's the top golfer this year, you're not right by any measure.
Link?I don't think I ever said he was finished. The closest I have said, is he is not getting back to where he was. And he is not. I also said I think he is among the top golfers in the world, and still capable of catching Jack - but it will take a Els-like effort to win one in his 40s. I think he will will win one British, one PGA, and two Masters before it is all said and done.

Not part of this conversation, but I also think that, at his peak he was better than Jack at his peak (and by thus the best ever).

Ok. He's not 'done' or 'back' based on what each side is claiming these words mean. He's very good. He won't be 'Tiger' again, but can still be #1 and still break jacks record.

Ok. He's not 'done' or 'back' based on what each side is claiming these words mean. He's very good. He won't be 'Tiger' again, but can still be #1 and still break jacks record.
That is the whole premise of the thread. He will remain competitive but will no longer be dominant. Another brutal weekend at a major where he struggled to do anything well. The tournament was there for the taking and, again, he couldn't even contend.The apologists are really grasping at straws. Otis awful as usual and resorting to the "completely done" standard to try and save face. Embarrassing.

That is the whole premise of the thread. He will remain competitive but will no longer be dominant. Another brutal weekend at a major where he struggled to do anything well. The tournament was there for the taking and, again, he couldn't even contend.The apologists are really grasping at straws. Otis awful as usual and resorting to the "completely done" standard to try and save face. Embarrassing.
Getting close to #1 in the world...winning 3 times and where he finished the British is more than just "competitive".The dominant part is where it evolved after the original post that called him "done".BTW...the day was brutal for nearly everyone in the field...not just Tiger.Talk about grasping at straws...you are reaching mighty far here.I don't think anyone...even Otis thinks the guy will be the dominant force he was at this point.

Getting close to #1 in the world...winning 3 times and where he finished the British is more than just "competitive".The dominant part is where it evolved after the original post that called him "done".

BTW...the day was brutal for nearly everyone in the field...not just Tiger.

Talk about grasping at straws...you are reaching mighty far here.

I don't think anyone...even Otis thinks the guy will be the dominant force he was at this point.
He may or may not be, I wouldn't put money on it either way.If this thread were about "Tiger will still be about the best golfer in the world, but will not dominate the field by the margins he used to," then Fin might have been right. But he said the guy was finished.

Getting close to #1 in the world...winning 3 times and where he finished the British is more than just "competitive".The dominant part is where it evolved after the original post that called him "done".BTW...the day was brutal for nearly everyone in the field...not just Tiger.Talk about grasping at straws...you are reaching mighty far here.I don't think anyone...even Otis thinks the guy will be the dominant force he was at this point.
whatever. fact is he has played poorly on the weekend in all three majors this year. he hit it really bad today and made no putts. spin it however you want. no one has argued in 25 pages that he is done as a golfer. the OP even said he would remain competitive. but you guys keep collectively building that strawman.tiger is like federer. who cares how many monte carlos, singapore opens and other masters series tournaments he wins? the majors are what counts. with tiger, we are going into year 5 with no major. jack's records looks more pretty safe to me for now.

Getting close to #1 in the world...winning 3 times and where he finished the British is more than just "competitive".The dominant part is where it evolved after the original post that called him "done".

I don't think anyone...even Otis thinks the guy will be the dominant force he was at this point.
He may or may not be, I wouldn't put money on it either way.If this thread were about "Tiger will still be about the best golfer in the world, but will not dominate the field by the margins he used to," then Fin might have been right. But he said the guy was finished.
to be fair, prior to and during the Masters and US Open you and others here were talking like he was going to resume his place as the dominant force in golf. It just hasn't happened and he just looks like one of the best out there who plays really good sometimes and awful at other times.

to be fair, prior to and during the Masters and US Open you and others here were talking like he was going to resume his place as the dominant force in golf. It just hasn't happened and he just looks like one of the best out there who plays really good sometimes and awful at other times.
:confused:

Zoo - point to where people are saying he will be the dominant force he was a few years ago? I think many of us being accused of delusional Tigerfans are where you are at. Yeah - he still has a real shot at beating Jack's record. The Finless wannabes here are just throwing out wild accusations to stir things up. I still think the guy breaks Jack's record and am willing to back it up with a wager. Thus far no one has taken me up on it. Otis isn't saying - or has he said that Tiger is/will be the force he was, he has just stated the obvious that Tiger is still among the elite of golf.

He is 0-for-13 in majors since winning the 2008 U.S. Open. Jacks record is safe.
Equal to him being finised since that is his ultimate goal.
You all know that the last 13 Majors have encompassed a brutal public divorce, surgery, and a swing change, right? He JUST started practicing the short game regularly. Lots of really stupid proclamations in this thread.
Let me know when the excuse well has dried up.

whatever. fact is he has played poorly on the weekend in all three majors this year. he hit it really bad today and made no putts. spin it however you want. no one has argued in 25 pages that he is done as a golfer. the OP even said he would remain competitive. but you guys keep collectively building that strawman.tiger is like federer. who cares how many monte carlos, singapore opens and other masters series tournaments he wins? the majors are what counts. with tiger, we are going into year 5 with no major. jack's records looks more pretty safe to me for now.
Again...who didn't play terribly today outside of Els as far as the final pairings?I agree he hit no putts...didn't think he hit the ball all that badly overall today though.But you are the one spinning...look at the original post...it was not about being "done as a dominant golfer". Calling him merely competitive is BS...especially with his upcoming ranking.Its ok to admit it.

He is 0-for-13 in majors since winning the 2008 U.S. Open. Jacks record is safe.
You all know that the last 13 Majors have encompassed a brutal public divorce, surgery, and a swing change, right? He JUST started practicing the short game regularly. Lots of really stupid proclamations in this thread.
Let me know when the likes of FavreCo throwing out ridiculous crap has dried up.

Let me know when the likes of FavreCo throwing out ridiculous crap has dried up.
Add me to that distribution list as well. That guy is really grasping at straws.

After the British, he is the #2 golfer in the world.
That's impressive, but he's not chasing Jack's record for weeks ranked #2. The only thing that matters is majors, and if he doesn't at least make a run at Jack's record his career will be conisdered a disappointment. Which says a lot about the guy, because anyone else playing today would love to retire with fourteen majors.

Excuses? Or legit reasons. You either don't know much about golf or are trolling. The left knee injury is really bad for a golfer who puts so much torque on his knee. His dropping move toward the end of his run with Haney (after his knee injury) was a compensation for that. Which is where his blocks right and snap hooks off the tee came from. The new swing puts less torque on the knee. This is his 3rd overhaul of his pro career. Most guys never master 1 swing. He's done it twice and is on his way to a third. The personal stuff does matter as well. I will say this. If he doesn't improve from where he is right now (one of the clear 3 best in the world) in 12-18 months to being the consensus #1, then I will say he's peaked. But if he stays one of the 3 best players in the world for 5-10 years, he could easily win 4+ majors. Let's say he is never 'dominant' Tiger but gets to 19 majors, is he ''back'?

Excuses? Or legit reasons. You either don't know much about golf or are trolling. The left knee injury is really bad for a golfer who puts so much torque on his knee. His dropping move toward the end of his run with Haney (after his knee injury) was a compensation for that. Which is where his blocks right and snap hooks off the tee came from. The new swing puts less torque on the knee. This is his 3rd overhaul of his pro career. Most guys never master 1 swing. He's done it twice and is on his way to a third. The personal stuff does matter as well. I will say this. If he doesn't improve from where he is right now (one of the clear 3 best in the world) in 12-18 months to being the consensus #1, then I will say he's peaked. But if he stays one of the 3 best players in the world for 5-10 years, he could easily win 4+ majors. Let's say he is never 'dominant' Tiger but gets to 19 majors, is he ''back'?
The shipped sailed on those reasons last year. Now he's just folding on Sunday's. Its nice to see him there on Sunday as he makes golf a lot more interesting, but its time to finish. I'd still bet on a few more majors where everything is just clicking, but I don't see him getting to 19.

Users who are viewing this thread