What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

FFA Movie Poll - 1989 It's snail paced Countdown Monday!! (1 Viewer)

KarmaPolice

Footballguy
FINAL RANKINGS = 

#26  60pts  TANGO & CASH

#25  66pts  DEAD CALM

#24  79pts  PARENTHOOD

#23  85pts  GHOSTBUSTERS II

#22  89pts  DRUGSTORE COWBOY

#21  93pts  THE 'BURBS

#19  94pts  THE LITTLE MERMAID

#19  94pts  UNCLE BUCK

#18 95pts  LETHAL WEAPON 2

#17  100pts  CRIMES AND MISDEMEANORS

#16  107pts  BACK TO THE FUTURE PART II

#14  115pts  BORN OF THE 4TH OF JULY

#14  115pts  BATMAN

#13  118pts  SAY ANYTHING...

#12  135pts  ROAD HOUSE

#10  140pts  MY LEFT FOOT

#10  140pts  DO THE RIGHT THING

#9  145pts  THE ABYSS

#8  180pts  BILL & TED'S EXCELLENT ADVENTURE

#7  228pts  NATIONAL LAMPOON'S CHRISTMAS VACATION

#6  233pts  DEAD POETS SOCIETY

#5  249pts  WHEN HARRY MET SALLY....

#4  253pts  FIELD OF DREAMS

#3  254pts  INDIANA JONES AND THE LAST CRUSADE

#2  270pts  GLORY

#1  277pts  MAJOR LEAGUE

Last edited by a moderator:
From the chatter in the other thread, it seems like more are interested in this year.  

I am definitely looking forward to seeing suggestions and lists here.  Feels like I was just watching cheesy stuff and passed over the dramas.  I watched for the first time or re-watched quite a few for this year during the last week:

When Harry Met Sally, Heathers, Parenthood, Glory, Lean On Me, Do the Right Thing  with some very mixed results from me.  

Also, we talked about movies that we won't re-watch in the other thread.  One of the few for me is Pet Sematary.  The scenes with Zelda freak me the #### out.  I was listening to a podcast that was reviewing that movie last year and they just played the audio from those scenes and I wanted to puke.  Also just re-read the book and just reading the scenes made my eyes water.  :scared:

From the chatter in the other thread, it seems like more are interested in this year.  

I am definitely looking forward to seeing suggestions and lists here.  Feels like I was just watching cheesy stuff and passed over the dramas.  I watched for the first time or re-watched quite a few for this year during the last week:

When Harry Met Sally, Heathers, Parenthood, Glory, Lean On Me, Do the Right Thing  with some very mixed results from me.  
Is Heathers 88 or 89?

Carrie Fisher had quite a run of movies in 1989 - When Harry Met Sally, The 'Burbs, and Loverboy.  All classics that better get top votes.  

So...quick 89 look for possible 30 pointers...

Dead Poets Society

Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade

The Abyss 

Road House (don't want to hear it, just don't)

Do the Right Thing

Field of Dreams

Glory

Christmas Vacation 

And I can argue for Major League and Harlem Nights too.

Dang this won't be easy.

So...quick 89 look for possible 30 pointers...

Dead Poets Society

Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade

The Abyss 

Road House (don't want to hear it, just don't)

Do the Right Thing

Field of Dreams

Glory

Christmas Vacation 

And I can argue for Major League and Harlem Nights too.

Dang this won't be easy.
I think we agree on maybe 2 1/2 of those (and a couple I just don't like), so this could be a fun, spread out year.  

I think more than other years so far, this one has a bunch I like a lot, but not as many that are sticking out as 30 pointers.  

Fair warning, I was 11 in 1989. My list will reflect this and is the only correct list.
I was around the same age.  Trying to decide if I should re-watch some of my favorites from when I was a kid that I haven't seen in awhile (like UHF or Weekend at Bernie's) to see if they hold up (I know full well that Bill & Ted, Major League, and Christmas Vacation do).  Debating between giving points to something like My Left Foot or Weekend at Bernie's is going to be my own personal Homer dilemma between Barney's auteur movie about alcoholism and Man Gets Hit in Groin by Football.

Really?  I guess I retract my statement about me hating it and was annoyed I wasted my time watching it.  :oldunsure:
top 10 of the '80s for me, without question ... slotted in my "Something Wild"/"Pope of Greenwich Village" tier - love it to death, it never gets old. 

I was around the same age.  Trying to decide if I should re-watch some of my favorites from when I was a kid that I haven't seen in awhile (like UHF or Weekend at Bernie's) to see if they hold up (I know full well that Bill & Ted, Major League, and Christmas Vacation do). 
It is interesting to me to watch the old movies and see what holds up for me.  I think a few from this year would have been 30pters for 14year old me, but probably won't make the list now - Batman is probably the best example.  

The Abyss - 30

Glory - 30

Tango & Cash - 30

The Little Mermaid - 30

Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade - 30

Dead Poets Society - 10

Lethal Weapon 2 - 10

Dead Calm - 10

Batman - 5

Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure - 5

Always - 1

Cyborg - 1

Casualties of War - 1

Field of Dreams - 1

Henry V - 1

Honey, I Shrunk The Kids - 1

Look Who's Talking - 1

Pet Semetary - 1

Say Anything - 1

When Harry Met Sally - 1

This is going to be a fun year for quotes...

Gabriel Cash: You wanna cut my throat, go ahead. You wanna cut my ####in' head off and use it for a ####in' basketball? You can *bowl* with the mother####er for all I care! Just don't let HIM do it! I don't wanna get killed by this limey, immigrant JERKOFF! I wanna get killed by an AMERICAN.... jerkoff! 

The Abyss - 30

Glory - 30

Tango & Cash - 30

The Little Mermaid - 30

Dead Poets Society - 10

Lethal Weapon 2 - 10

Dead Calm - 10

Batman - 5

Always - 1

Cyborg - 1

Casualties of War - 1

Field of Dreams - 1

Henry V - 1

Look Who's Talking - 1

Pet Semetary - 1

Say Anything - 1

When Harry Met Sally - 1
will probably be my favorite list submitted by another ... not necessarily for what's on it, but for the glaring omission of one of the most over rated and sophomoric flicks to ever trouble daylight - Andy, you did the right thing  :wub:

It is interesting to me to watch the old movies and see what holds up for me.  I think a few from this year would have been 30pters for 14year old me, but probably won't make the list now - Batman is probably the best example.  
I agree but I watched Batman a few years ago and still really like it. As a kid UHF cracked me up but there’s zero chance I rewatch or rank it.

All the chatter so far and 2 of my top 3 films haven’t been mentioned yet- what a strong year.

eta: just one, I had a year wrong on a movie 

Watched Batman a couple months back...it does NOT hold up. Except for Jack.

This year features some movies that are historically awful viewings for me:

The Cook, The Thief, His Wife & Her Lover

Christmas Vacation

Star Trek 5: The Final Frontier

Watched Batman a couple months back...it does NOT hold up. Except for Jack.

This year features some movies that are historically awful viewings for me:

The Cook, The Thief, His Wife & Her Lover

Christmas Vacation

Star Trek 5: The Final Frontier
I usually don’t like Tim Burton but he struck a good balance of the darkness we saw in Nolan’s series and the camp of the Adam West era.

I’ve never seen it and I think this is just the right excuse to do so but I have very low expectations 
Same here.  I think most of the criticism of Driving Miss Daisy is directed at what it beat out than the movie itself, as it was a safe choice in a year with a number of other movies that check all of the Best Picture boxes and have had more lasting significance.

I'm not sure I'll get to it, as there are a few other dramas that I have of higher priority to try to watch over the next couple of weeks. I've never seen Sex, Lies and Videotape, for example.

Bad ending really hurt The Abyss
The theatrical release was a mess and is a quintessential example of studio meddling.

The Special Edition is the only one to watch.

I think the sequences of the sub chase, Lindsay's drowning/her subsequent resuscitation are about the most intense scenes I can think of.

"Under Pressure: Making of the Abyss" is my favorite "making of" of all time.

It's Michael Biehn's best performance.

Lindsey Brigman: So raise your hand if you think that was a Russian water-tentacle!

The Abyss - 30

Glory - 30

Tango & Cash - 30

The Little Mermaid - 30

Dead Poets Society - 10

Lethal Weapon 2 - 10

Dead Calm - 10

Batman - 5

Always - 1

Cyborg - 1

Casualties of War - 1

Field of Dreams - 1

Henry V - 1

Look Who's Talking - 1

Pet Semetary - 1

Say Anything - 1

When Harry Met Sally - 1
No PM = no count

Here's my list for posterity.  As expected, you won't find any serious dramas on any of my 80's lists.  The 80s were all about cheese and blockbusters.

And no, I did not confuse Ghostbusters 2 with the original when giving it 30 points.  If you didn't cheer as the Statue of Liberty was walking through New York City to spray a building with ooze, then I don't know what to say.  Santa Sangre is a classic in the horror genre so I felt compelled to include it.  Hot Take: The Abyss is a top 3 James Cameron movie.  Lots of great movies left off but I didn't want to give any of these classics single digit scores.

The Burbs      30

The Abyss     30

Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade          30

National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation     30

Ghostbusters  2          30

Uncle Buck                 10

The Little Mermaid     10

Major League             10

Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure     10

Santa Sangre    10

I usually don’t like Tim Burton but he struck a good balance of the darkness we saw in Nolan’s series and the camp of the Adam West era.
I think that was my take awhile ago, then I watched with my son last year and the camp and cheese ooze off the screen.  Could be my Nolan boner ruined the older ones too, so take it for what it's worth.  

Here's my list for posterity.  As expected, you won't find any serious dramas on any of my 80's lists.  The 80s were all about cheese and blockbusters.

And no, I did not confuse Ghostbusters 2 with the original when giving it 30 points.  If you didn't cheer as the Statue of Liberty was walking through New York City to spray a building with ooze, then I don't know what to say.  Santa Sangre is a classic in the horror genre so I felt compelled to include it.  Hot Take: The Abyss is a top 3 James Cameron movie.  Lots of great movies left off but I didn't want to give any of these classics single digit scores.

The Burbs      30

The Abyss     30

Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade          30

National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation     30

Ghostbusters  2          30

Uncle Buck                 10

The Little Mermaid     10

Major League             10

Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure     10

Santa Sangre    10
Fully on board with your 1st listed, but I can't get behind the Ghostbusters 2 pick.  I think I would watch Karate Kid 3 again before watching GB2 again. 

The score is so good.  I think I owned the soundtrack on CD, back when CDs were a thing.

The "Oh My Lord" prayer around the campfire may be favorite scene from this year.  Such a great movie all around.
There was a funny reference to that in Blackish. When Dre's mom talks about getting it on with her young lover he covers his ears and starts singing "Oh my Lord, Lord, Lord, Lord!" :lol:

Fully on board with your 1st listed, but I can't get behind the Ghostbusters 2 pick.  I think I would watch Karate Kid 3 again before watching GB2 again. 
I figured this would be the consensus which is why I felt compelled to give it 30 in hopes a couple of other people as enlightened as I am can get it into the countdown.  

Users who are viewing this thread