What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

FFA Movie Poll - 1989 It's snail paced Countdown Monday!! (2 Viewers)

I've never seen Sex, Lies and Videotape, for example.
Havent seen it in decades, am almost afraid to for fear it will lessen the impact it had on me, but it will get my #1 for the year.

Of all things, ever asking "Why?" is most responsible for who i am. My mother almost left me on the sidewalk rather than answer all the why questions coming from my stroller.

And, of course, women and that feeling they cause inside are the biggest why of all. Throughout my life, i've infuriated every woman i've known by, unlike any other man, remembering everything they've ever said to me. Wisdom keeps me from telling them that it's not love but curiosity which makes that so. Through the course of almost every relationship i've had, i regularly watch them sleep to better know. Of course, i always tire of them rapidly because there is only so much to know about anyone and it's only my feelings that are eternally quizzical. It's fair to say i only stuck with my Mary for a dozen years because there was no seeming end to the horror ride of her personality.

I remember when "Last Tango in Paris" came out. Because being a runaway had led me to a few communes i had been with more than my share of girls, but i was still a teenager and hadn't a clue. I simply couldnt believe that there was so many layers and this bouncing off that to make sickness & joy so close to being the same thing and all that and, sans butter, that kinda became my map to the borders of sex & love. Within a year, i was on rock tours and got all the experiments & exigencies i could ever dream of and developed a sexual personality which availed others almost as well as it did me for the next score of years.

By '89 tho, the life questions creeped in. I was long w my Mary by then but we broke up so often I was almost able to plan on going back to my married ladies & cokewhore cocktail waitresses & plane hostesses. But it was hollow, sorta, and i could see the years where i wasnt going to be able to keep the pace and was gonna need to know what i was going to do forever. And two movies - probably my #s 1 & 2 for the year - S,L & V and When Harry Met Sally, came out which asked where & how one kept the good & bad of love in their heart in order to have a peaceful & fulfilling life. And i will always be grateful those flicks were there when i needed to figure my #### out. I made my Mary mine once they helped me with my questions and those who read what i write about her know i made the right choice. She'll be dead 22 years on Friday and i dont think my heart would be strong and open enough for dealing with my current time without the tests of those years.

That's what movies can do, so you'll pardon me if i never give 30 points to an eye#### fanboy flick. nufced

Last edited by a moderator:
will probably be my favorite list submitted by another ... not necessarily for what's on it, but for the glaring omission of one of the most over rated and sophomoric flicks to ever trouble daylight - Andy, you did the right thing  :wub:
What movie you be talkin' about? 

just did a super quick look... a lot of schlock and mediocre stuff being floated in here and on the list I saw. from the latter, some that jumped out:

- crimes and misdemeanors... one of my favorite woody movies, covering a theme he's kept going back to but never as well.. plus landau was breathtaking here.

- the big picture... loved this about the film industry and a recent film grad (kevin bacon)

- tie me up, tie me down. decent almodovar. 

Carrie Fisher had quite a run of movies in 1989 - When Harry Met Sally, The 'Burbs, and Loverboy.  All classics that better get top votes.  
Lover boy most years would be very high for me but this year it may not make the list. Burbs and harry will not crack the list despite being good themselves 

omg... also listed, but british so who knows about actual year... How to Get Ahead in Advertising- loved this one. early richard e grant

just did a super quick look... a lot of schlock and mediocre stuff being floated in here and on the list I saw. from the latter, some that jumped out:

- crimes and misdemeanors... one of my favorite woody movies, covering a theme he's kept going back to but never as well.. plus landau was breathtaking here.

- the big picture... loved this about the film industry and a recent film grad (kevin bacon)

- tie me up, tie me down. decent almodovar. 
This is the 80s we are talking about...

Thanks for this post though - I added Tie me Up! to my list.  The library has the Criterion Bluray, so I will check that out.   I was interested in The Big Picture, but the system didn't have that one.  I think I am done with Woody Allen, so I will pass on that one.  

Any other under the radar or foreign suggestions?

This is the 80s we are talking about...

Thanks for this post though - I added Tie me Up! to my list.  The library has the Criterion Bluray, so I will check that out.   I was interested in The Big Picture, but the system didn't have that one.  I think I am done with Woody Allen, so I will pass on that one.  

Any other under the radar or foreign suggestions?

omg... also listed, but british so who knows about actual year... How to Get Ahead in Advertising- loved this one. early richard e grant

as a film buff, you really should try to see The Big Picture- it's a lot of fun (comedy). and the bolded is fantastic craziness. 

but re: woody- I get it.. .I'm pretty much done myself. but I genuinely think this is one of his best and Landau gives an all-time performance here (especially seen next to Ed Wood where he went a completely different amazing direction)

as a film buff, you really should try to see The Big Picture- it's a lot of fun (comedy). and the bolded is fantastic craziness. 

but re: woody- I get it.. .I'm pretty much done myself. but I genuinely think this is one of his best and Landau gives an all-time performance here (especially seen next to Ed Wood where he went a completely different amazing direction)
I did add How to Get Ahead after I saw that post.  Thanks.  

I will think about C&M. 

If Bill S. Preston, Esqr. & Ted Theodore Logan do not make the top 10, I will burn #### down. 
Im the same age as you. I was 12 in 89. Showed this to my class this year before Christmas break since I teach social studies. Most of them enjoyed it. Had a few that thought it was bogus

They are making a new one. I think its out of the discussion phase and in green light

How much time are we talking here? Do I need to remind you this afternoon?
It really all hinges on my ability to read the political subform without commenting on individual posters. I like to think I've learned my lesson. I like to think that...

Oh yeah - I forgot to post what will be after this year.  We will be jumping a whole 3 years into the future and doing 1992.    Now I have to watch Glengarry again and see if I like it better this time around.  

Preemptive strike:

When Harry Met Sally 30

Glory 30

Major League 30

My Left Foot 30

Road House 15

Dead Poets Society 15

Uncle Buck 8

License To Kill 7

The Burbs 5

Harlem Nights 5

Loverboy 5

Henry V 5 

Skin Deep 5

Vampire’s Kiss 3

Parenthood 3

See No Evil, Hear No Evil 2

Black Rain 1

Tango & Cash 1

Todd: And just where do you think you are going to put a tree that big?

Clark: Bend over and I'll show you.

Todd: You have a lot of nerve talking to me like that!

Clark: I wasn't talking to you.

Top Scene nominee:

Denzel Washington getting whipped in Glory. One of the most powerfully acted without saying a word scenes in this history of cinema.
There's so many good performances in that movie. 

Trip: Oh, I see, so the white man give you a couple a stripes, and suddenly you start hollerin' and orderin' everybody around, like you the massa himself! , ninja you ain't nothin' but the white man's dog! 

[He starts to walk away, Rawlins stops him and slaps him]

Rawlins: And what are you? So full of hate you want to go out and fight everybody! Because you've been whipped and chased by hounds. Well that might not be living, but it sure as hell ain't dying. And dying's been what these white boys have been doing for going on three years now! Dying by the thousands! Dying for *you*, fool! I know, 'cause I dug the graves. And all this time I keep askin' myself, when, O Lord, when it's gonna be our time? Gonna come a time when we all gonna hafta ante up. Ante up and kick in like men. LIKE MEN! You watch who you call a ninja! If there's any ninjas around here, it's YOU. Just a smart-mouthed, stupid-###, swamp-runnin' ninja! And if you not careful, that's all you ever gonna be. <_<

Trip: Oh, I see, so the white man give you a couple a stripes, and suddenly you start hollerin' and orderin' everybody around, like you the massa himself! , ninja you ain't nothin' but the white man's dog! 

Rawlins: And what are you? So full of hate you want to go out and fight everybody! Because you've been whipped and chased by hounds. Well that might not be living, but it sure as hell ain't dying. And dying's been what these white boys have been doing for going on three years now! Dying by the thousands! Dying for *you*, fool! I know, 'cause I dug the graves. And all this time I keep askin' myself, when, O Lord, when it's gonna be our time? Gonna come a time when we all gonna hafta ante up. Ante up and kick in like men. LIKE MEN! You watch who you call a ninja! If there's any ninjas around here, it's YOU. Just a smart-mouthed, stupid-###, swamp-runnin' ninja! And if you not careful, that's all you ever gonna be. <_<
Give 'em Hell, 54!

I know the reason you did it, and I get it.  And I won't lie it took me a second to realize when in the hell the word ninja appears here.

But having said that...... if the black soldiers were actually ninja's...... THAT WOULD HAVE BEEN AWESOME!

Major League - 30

Indiana Jones And The Last Crusade - 30

Field Of Dreams - 20

Christmas Vacation - 20

Bill And Teds Excellent Adventure - 15

Back To The Future II - 15

When Harry Met Sally - 10

The Little Mermaid - 10

Halloween 5 The Revenge Of Michael Myers - 10

Lethal Weapon 2  - 10

Born On The 4th Of July - 5

Dead Poets Society - 5

The Abyss - 5

Say Anything - 5

Batman - 5

Uncle Buck - 5

[spolier]

So...quick 89 look for possible 30 pointers...

Dead Poets Society

Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade

The Abyss 

Road House (don't want to hear it, just don't)

Do the Right Thing

Field of Dreams

Glory

Christmas Vacation 

And I can argue for Major League and Harlem Nights too.

Dang this won't be easy.
Awesome movies that I can watch anytime. 

Road House is one of my biggest guilty pleasures. Just so bad it is great kind of goodness and I watch it anytime it is on a movie channel (hate commercials and editing).

However it got no points from me. I had to use them on films I simply like more. It would not surprise me to see it out of the top 20 here.

As far as the serious dramas....not really high on a lot of them. I am far more into the fun movies and of course two of the 5 best baseball movies ever made in 1989. I was 19 when this crop of movies was out. Truly a great year for fun movies.

Batman made my list....and back then it was a huge movie. But boy did it age horribly. And when you watch Nolan's Dark Knight Trilogy....it really makes Keatons films unwatchable. And don't get me started on the dreadful Joel Shumacher garbage. Pure crap his two turns with the Batman franchise. Other than Jim Carey and Tommy Lee Jones....nothing redeemable about Batman Forever. And Batman and Robin? LMFAO UGH!!!!

The Abyss?  Is this something I need to see?
It's a good flick. Nothing amazing. But a good Cameron film. If you like sci-fi and Ed Harris....yes you should watch it. And watch the Directors cut, not the crappy theatrical cut. Much much better. Trust me.

Awesome movies that I can watch anytime. 

Road House is one of my biggest guilty pleasures. Just so bad it is great kind of goodness and I watch it anytime it is on a movie channel (hate commercials and editing).

However it got no points from me. I had to use them on films I simply like more. It would not surprise me to see it out of the top 20 here.

As far as the serious dramas....not really high on a lot of them. I am far more into the fun movies and of course two of the 5 best baseball movies ever made in 1989. I was 19 when this crop of movies was out. Truly a great year for fun movies.

Batman made my list....and back then it was a huge movie. But boy did it age horribly. And when you watch Nolan's Dark Knight Trilogy....it really makes Keatons films unwatchable. And don't get me started on the dreadful Joel Shumacher garbage. Pure crap his two turns with the Batman franchise. Other than Jim Carey and Tommy Lee Jones....nothing redeemable about Batman Forever. And Batman and Robin? LMFAO UGH!!!!
If you get me and my brothers and cousins together we can recite Major League and Christmas Vacation verbatim from start to finish.  The women in our lives love that.

Road House is there for me as well.  So bad it's awesome.  And immensely quotable as well.  It will be high on my list.  I totally understand the drama position, but some of them from this year are just awesome, Glory standing out from the rest for me.

As for Batman, as I said previously, Jack's Joker is still my favorite.  Granted, the TV show was slightly before my time, but as a kid I watched it in whatever syndication it was in.  Jack's Joker was perfect to me, calling back the campy comedy while at the same time modernizing the villain to make him more than just a clown.  I know why Ledger is loved for his role, but that isn't the Joker I grew up with.  And I personally like Keaton in the role.  I think he brings an acting ability and everyman feel to the role that no one else did..... though I have also admitted that I think Affleck is damn perfect for the role.  Yeah the sequels were bad and I think that takes away from the original.

I mean, Prince did the soundtrack.  Prince.  That has to count for something.

Users who are viewing this thread