What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

FFA Movie Poll - 1989 It's snail paced Countdown Monday!! (2 Viewers)

Top Scene nominee:

Denzel Washington getting whipped in Glory. One of the most powerfully acted without saying a word scenes in this history of cinema.
That scene is amazing.  

That was one that I recently watched and loved.  The only thing that gets me when I watch war movies set back in history is just how ####in' dumb war was back then.  (Ok, it's dumb all the time..).  Who thought it was a good idea just to march straight at each other, line up in rows, and then fire a hailstorm of bullets at one another?

Top Scene nominee:

Denzel Washington getting whipped in Glory. One of the most powerfully acted without saying a word scenes in this history of cinema.
The only reason Glory will be in my 20. Denzel knew he was saying hello to America with that scene but still kept it real and accomplished both his aims. Greatest introduction to the public psyche since "You talkin to me?"

My first pass had 34 movies. I felt like I was killing my own children to get to 20.

Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure - 30

The 'Burbs - 30

Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade - 30

Major League - 30

Lethal Weapon 2 - 20

The Abyss - 10

Fletch Lives - 10

Best of the Best - 10

Road House - 10

Uncle Buck - 10

See No Evil, Hear No Evil - 1

National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation - 1

Tango & Cash - 1

Batman - 1

Harlem Nights - 1

The Dream Team - 1

Turner & Hooch - 1

Gross Anatomy - 1

Next of Kin - 1

Lean on Me - 1

That scene is amazing.  

That was one that I recently watched and loved.  The only thing that gets me when I watch war movies set back in history is just how ####in' dumb war was back then.  (Ok, it's dumb all the time..).  Who thought it was a good idea just to march straight at each other, line up in rows, and then fire a hailstorm of bullets at one another?
Technology outpaced tactics very rapidly. 

Generational. We po' Boomers' dads didn't have time for us, mostly, and few of em would have made us their focus even if they had the luxury. That's why we got in your way so dang much growing up. All we wanted was a catch....
I get the sentiment and wanting some daddy time.  It doesn't make the movie less hokey and dull though. 

Most of my faves have already been mentioned. 

A few that will top my list:  Fabulous Baker Bros., Dead Poets, Field of Dreams, Uncle Buck, Roger & Me, My Left Foot, Dead Calm, Crimes & Misdemeanors.

I hope to glean some lesser known gems from this thread. 

I get the sentiment and wanting some daddy time.  It doesn't make the movie less hokey and dull though. 
Cant believe i'm arguing wish fulfillment with a Genender. Baseball was the pretty much the only language of our dreams (Willie Mays is the only deity i've ever known) and between our & our fathers' gens. Plz - don't get it, k?!

Field of Dreams is about the only movie that makes me cry everytime. Particularly when Moonlight Graham gives up his dream to save the little girl.  It’s my top movie of 89.
That is what surprises me about this movie and people's reaction to it.  I cry at damn near anything, but this one does nothing for whatever reason.  

The Dreaded Marco said:
Most of my faves have already been mentioned. 

A few that will top my list:  Fabulous Baker Bros., Dead Poets, Field of Dreams, Uncle Buck, Roger & Me, My Left Foot, Dead Calm, Crimes & Misdemeanors.

I hope to glean some lesser known gems from this thread. 
This one is getting shipped to me too.  Damn, I thought my research for '89 was done besides Uncle Buck, but now I have about 10 more in the pile.  Not sure I will get to all of these. 

Unless Glory blows me away this is likely what i'll be going with

1    Eddie and the Cruisers II: Eddie Lives!    30
2    Ghostbuster 2    30
3    road house    30
4    major league    30
5    field of dreams    30
6    Back to the Future Part II    30
7    see no evil hear no evil    20
8    tango and cash    20
9    bill and ted    20
10    A Nightmare on Elm Street 5: The Dream Child    10
11    the wizard    10
12    dream team    7
13    turner and hootch    7
14    karate kid 3    7
15    wicked stepmother    5
16    christmas vacation    5
17    heathers    5
18    Teen Witch    2
19    little mermaid    1
20    milo and otis    1

Field of Dreams is about the only movie that makes me cry everytime. Particularly when Moonlight Graham gives up his dream to save the little girl.  It’s my top movie of 89.
My dad's dad disappeared when my dad was two...supposedly rubbed out by Murder Inc over pawned furs and a huge debt. My dad had "dad" issues, which ultimately made him an amazing father... but it was his recurring dream that his dad would somehow reappear in his life.

He and I watched field of dreams together... and when Costner asks his dad for a catch- I look over and my dad is just bawling like I've never seen him before- it was his lifelong dream. And of course I lose my #### too...and do so every time I see the movie.

:( RIP dad... Dammit. I miss you.

KarmaPolice said:
You either love baseball, and also have a romance with the game like us hardcore baseball junkies do or you don’t.

You obviously don’t. It’s ok. Not everyone get’s it.

Unless Glory blows me away this is likely what i'll be going with

1    Eddie and the Cruisers II: Eddie Lives!    30
2    Ghostbuster 2    30
3    road house    30
4    major league    30
5    field of dreams    30
6    Back to the Future Part II    30
7    see no evil hear no evil    20
8    tango and cash    20
9    bill and ted    20
10    A Nightmare on Elm Street 5: The Dream Child    10
11    the wizard    10
12    dream team    7
13    turner and hootch    7
14    karate kid 3    7
15    wicked stepmother    5
16    christmas vacation    5
17    heathers    5
18    Teen Witch    2
19    little mermaid    1
20    milo and otis    1
this is way over 200 points

Makes me cry every time (and not the dad/son playing catch scene either). 

Spoiler:  When Moonlight has to step over the line to be a Dr. and save the little girl and then can't go back.... :cry: :cry: :cry:
gotDAMN is that a remarkable scene - dust kickin' up over here ...

when Doc is exiting the field: "hey, Rook - you were good"

You know, I've only seen FOD once in my life and that was on a long bus trip.

And I could have sworn Bill & Ted's came out WAY before '89.

I think this year will be interested in that I have no idea what will be #1. There is probably a half dozen movies I could see finishing at 1. 

As great as Chinatown is, we all knew GF2 would win. Blade Runner was a massive favorite for 82. 99 was always going to be either Matrix or Fight Club and while Social Network had a decent shot, Inception seemed very likely to take the first spot. 

I think this year will be interested in that I have no idea what will be #1. There is probably a half dozen movies I could see finishing at 1. 

As great as Chinatown is, we all knew GF2 would win. Blade Runner was a massive favorite for 82. 99 was always going to be either Matrix or Fight Club and while Social Network had a decent shot, Inception seemed very likely to take the first spot. 
Like I said in the other thread '89 doesn't necessarily have any great movies - but it's crazy deep.

I have to include Milo and Otis for sentimental reasons* but it will be bumping something worth off my list.

* I probably had to watch that movie 10-15 times over a 4-6 year span with my step son. I have no idea how it got into the rotation being such an "old" movie at the time but he loved it. When he was around 8/9 after watching it one time he sighed and stated "Ahhh...they don't make movies like that anymore".

Can I amend my list? Just realized I forgot to include The Fly 2.

Yes, I'm serious.

And you know what's funny about Last Crusade? The Boat Chase.

The sequence of dialog at the end sums up that it was all a ridiculous misunderstanding.

Kazim: The secret of the Grail has been safe for a thousand years. And for all that time the Brotherhood of the Cruciform Sword has been prepared to do anything to keep it safe.

Indy: I didn't come for the Cup of Christ I came to find my father.

Kazim: In that case, God be with you in your quest. Your father is being held in the castle of Brunwald on the Austrian-German border.

:lol:

In other words

Kazim: We must kill you to keep the Grail safe!  :pirate:  

Indy: Uh, I'm just looking for my dad.

Kazim: Well why didn't you just SAY so?

Indy: You set Venice on fire before I could! :angry:

Kazim: Hmmm...good point. Well, God bless and here's a map to your dad. Our bad, bro.

Last edited by a moderator:
KarmaPolice said:
Any of these worth a watch?:

Sea of Love, Casualties of War, We're No Angels, War of the Roses,  Lock Up
Sea of Love and War of the Roses are borderline contenders for a point or two.  The rest aren't, but there may be some value in seeing DeNiro and Sean Penn pretend to be priests.

Can I amend my list? Just realized I forgot to include The Fly 2.

Yes, I'm serious.

And you know what's funny about Last Crusade? The Boat Chase.

The sequence of dialog at the end sums up that it was all a ridiculous misunderstanding.

Kazim: The secret of the Grail has been safe for a thousand years. And for all that time the Brotherhood of the Cruciform Sword has been prepared to do anything to keep it safe.

Indy: I didn't come for the Cup of Christ I came to find my father.

Kazim: In that case, God be with you in your quest. Your father is being held in the castle of Brunwald on the Austrian-German border.

:lol:

In other words

Kazim: We must kill you to keep the Grail safe!  :pirate:  

Indy: Uh, I'm just looking for my dad.

Kazim: Well why didn't you just SAY so?

Indy: You set Venice on fire before I could! :angry:

Kazim: Hmmm...good point. Well, God bless and here's a map to your dad. Our bad, bro.
@Andy Dufresne - you can amend your list until deadline. 

I'm putting the following movies out there... unranked for now... for consideration (and also to make sure they're the right year- wiki says yes). I am bolding the ones that are definitely going into my list.

• The Adventures of Baron Munchausen
  • Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure
  • Say Anything...
  • Field of Dreams
  • Vampire's Kiss
  • Honey, I Shrunk the Kids
  • Do the Right Thing
  • When Harry Met Sally...
  • Sex, Lies, and Videotape
  • The Big Picture
  • Drugstore Cowboy
  • Crimes and Misdemeanors
  • Glory
  • Roger & Me
  • Akira
  • The Cook, the Thief, His Wife & Her Lover
  • Dekalog
  • Henry V,
  • How to Get Ahead in Advertising
  • Jesus of Montreal
  • Last Exit to Brooklyn
  • My Left Foot
  • Mystery Train

btw... Vampire's Kiss is one of my faves. it stars Nick Cage, so beware... also in his "i'll put an accent on it" phase. it's not a "great" movie, but it's got it's share of hilarious moments.

and if Dekalog counts (was made for Polish TV and then released as film), it's stunning stuff- some of the ten better than others (can't remember which).

I'm putting the following movies out there... unranked for now... for consideration (and also to make sure they're the right year- wiki says yes). I am bolding the ones that are definitely going into my list.

• The Adventures of Baron Munchausen
  • Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure
  • Say Anything...
  • Field of Dreams
  • Vampire's Kiss
  • Honey, I Shrunk the Kids
  • Do the Right Thing
  • When Harry Met Sally...
  • Sex, Lies, and Videotape
  • The Big Picture
  • Drugstore Cowboy
  • Crimes and Misdemeanors
  • Glory
  • Roger & Me
  • Akira
  • The Cook, the Thief, His Wife & Her Lover
  • Dekalog
  • Henry V,
  • How to Get Ahead in Advertising
  • Jesus of Montreal
  • Last Exit to Brooklyn
  • My Left Foot
  • Mystery Train
I checked the wikipedia page for Munchausen and it says it came out in 1988 - otherwise it would have been a high point getter for me. If it's ruled 1989 eligible, I'll need to redo my submitted list.

btw... Vampire's Kiss is one of my faves. it stars Nick Cage, so beware... also in his "i'll put an accent on it" phase. it's not a "great" movie, but it's got it's share of hilarious moments.
I started to catch this a couple weeks ago on one of those new free channels.  I gather you lose a lot when it gets edited for TV, but the campiness was not lost.

I checked the wikipedia page for Munchausen and it says it came out in 1988 - otherwise it would have been a high point getter for me. If it's ruled 1989 eligible, I'll need to redo my submitted list.
yeah, I had Vampire's Kiss ...on my list  :D .

But imdb has it as '88.

Users who are viewing this thread