What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Gary Barnidge (1 Viewer)

Um, you're not wrong at all. Rob Housler has disappointed dropping balls and not doing much, he may not even make the final roster. TE Jim Dray gets some looks but you may not be aware of free agent EJ Bibbs who has come out of nowhere and has looked very-good in the small-ball offense that Browns OC John DeFilippo 'appears' to be using.

"The (E.J.) Bibbs kid has had a real good spring for us. He's kind of a come out of nowhere."--Browns HC Mike Pettine

So I 'agree' that Barnidge 'probably' will emerge as the top-man at tight end for the Browns by the time the season ends but I don't know what sort of numbers he will wind up with but I would project conservatively.

Um, you're not wrong at all. Rob Housler has disappointed dropping balls and not doing much, he may not even make the final roster. TE Jim Dray gets some looks but you may not be aware of free agent EJ Bibbs who has come out of nowhere and has looked very-good in the small-ball offense that Browns OC John DeFilippo 'appears' to be using.

"The (E.J.) Bibbs kid has had a real good spring for us. He's kind of a come out of nowhere."--Browns HC Mike Pettine

So I 'agree' that Barnidge 'probably' will emerge as the top-man at tight end for the Browns by the time the season ends but I don't know what sort of numbers he will wind up with but I would project conservatively.
Bibbs may have a role, but he's not an inline TE and Barnidge should be out there near every down. More to like then most realize. Could easily see him as a TE2

Last edited by a moderator:
Bibbs may have a role, but he's not an inline TE and Barnidge should be out there near every down. More to like then most realize. Could easily see him as a TE2
True, Bibbs is a move-TE but he lead the league in missed tackles this preseason according to PFF and he really has looked good catching the ball and very elusive after the catch.

Per Barnidge, if you project him as a TE2, I haven't crunched #2 TE numbers but he would be a low TE2 IMHO.

Week 1: Barnidge played 61 of 71 snaps, was targeted 5 times, and caught 3 passes for 38 yards.

Seems worth owning in TE-heavy leagues.

To follow-up on some things.

- The Browns did not cut Housler and have 4 TEs on the roster

- The Browns switched TE Malcolm Johnson to FB but he is listed as a TE on some fantasy sites and he plays basically an H-back where he catches a lot of passes

- The Browns offensive coordinator has planned to get the RBs more involved in the passing game so I anticipate more passes to the RBs especially rookie RB Duke Johnson who came off IR late last week so he didn't get a full load against the Jets so watch for him to take some of those passes that Barnidge was targeted for

I said I thought Gary was basically a low TE-2 and in standard leagues he ranked 25th of all NFL TEs the first week so in a standard 12 team fantasy league that would be a low TE-2/high TE-3. Right around where I think he would be.

For two-TE leagues you would have to pick-and-choose when you think he might score or have a high game but do take into consideration that rookie RB Duke Johnson should carve out a role as a pass catching RB.

Let me just throw this out there for your consideration.

Raiders have given up multi TD games to opposing TE's now in consecutive games. Gary Barnidge looks like a good what-the-heck flex considering the opponent.

Just putting this out there.

My main guy is out so picked him up last week. Saw this week and saw OAK ranked 32nd against TEs. Instantly started him. Not necessarily expecting much but I'll play the paper lion this week.

Post edit: apparently I have my oversized cats mixed up. Paper tiger*

All boats rise with high water and Browns TE Gary Barnidge is the primary beneficiary of QB Josh McCown's incredible two-week run that no one could have anticipated. QB Josh McCown threw for 356 yards and 2 TDs completeing 32 of 41 passes a week after throwing for 311 yards against Oakland which places him in elite franchise company.

----

Daryl Ruiter @RuiterWrongFAN 15h15 hours ago Josh McCown w/ 311 yards passing to join Otto Graham ('53),Brian Sipe ('80) & Brian Hoyer (2014) to throw for 300+ in consecutive games

----

McCown has had to throw for a ton of yards because the Browns defense sucks. Make that the Browns defensive coordinator Jim O'Neil sucks.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/13811682/cleveland-browns-second-guessing-defense-wake-philip-rivers-reads-san-diego-chargers

(Browns CB Tramon Williams) ... "He (San Diego QB Phil Rivers) knew a lot of things that we were doing," Williams said.

"There were a lot of situations where he was kind of seeing what we were doing and making adjustments," Kruger (Browns LB Paul Kruger) said.

The Browns' defensive problems go beyond Rivers recognizing defenses, though.

In the past three games, Rivers, Marcus Mariota and Derek Carr have thrown for 929 yards with seven touchdowns and no interceptions against the

Browns with a combined quarterback rating of 109.9.

...Williams said on-field communication is good, and the team has heart. But he added that in Green Bay there was "more variety" in the defensive calls.
With a defense playing so poorly McCown has had to throw a ton of passes and he's completing them and Barnidge is benefitting from this sort of game script.

Give credit to OC John DeFilippo and QB Josh McCown with direct blame (cedit for the offensive fireworks) going to Browns DC Jim O'Neil who is vastly under qualified and in over his head and he will be fired possibly before the end of this season.

So if you wanted the back story to Gary Barnidge's fantasy explosion over the last two games, there it is.

Love this guy and his circus catches. Barnidge & Bailey's ring top circus

Josh McCown set the all-time club record with three games throwing over 300 yards and also set the all-time club record today in passing yardage also WR Travis Benjamin is on an amazing career stretch run along with Barnidge.

Anyone see that coming? Nah. Don't over think this one, just ride it for as long as it lasts.

Today I learned the hard way, that in this offense, Gary Barnidge is a stud. This is no fluke streak. He's the only skill position player with any height whatsoever in Cleveland. He just made a mockery of some of the best cover LBs in the league. Fantasy rule #1: Never bench your studs. Barnidge will be in my lineup every week the rest of this season.

Barnidge is on my bench...I just can't put him in over Graham. Third week in a row he's outscored Graham, though. If other Graham owners want to take up a collection and send me some $$, I'll be happy to put Barnidge in over him...that's guaranteed to make Graham go off for 100+ and 3 TDs. :P

Barnidge is on my bench...I just can't put him in over Graham. Third week in a row he's outscored Graham, though. If other Graham owners want to take up a collection and send me some $$, I'll be happy to put Barnidge in over him...that's guaranteed to make Graham go off for 100+ and 3 TDs. :P
Trust me bro, nobody's going off for that kind of game in that Seattle offense. I waited for 3 years for Tate to do that, the season he left he had a career year. Start Barnidge.

packer_junkie said:
What kind of trade value does this guy have in redraft? Have him & Eifert. Lot of teams super thin at TE in my league
Their are only 8 regular season fantasy games left in most FF leagues. Barnidge has been solid for 3 games in a row and even with that big game yesterday it seems like his ceiling hasn't been reached yet for the year so why would you want to trade him in a re-draft?

Also saw this that was written before yesterday and it might provide a chuckle.

Good ole Mathew Berry.

---------------------------------------

http://espn.go.com/fantasy/football/story/_/page/TMR151008/matthew-berry-love-hate-list-sleepers-busts-best-starts-sits-fantasy-football-week-5

Tight ends I hate in Week 5

Gary Barnidge, Browns: It's a credit to Barnidge that he's played so well that he can even be considered a hate now, but as terrific as he has been the past two weeks, I'm avoiding him against Baltimore. The Ravens have yet to allow a touchdown to opposing tight ends and have given up just 31 yards total to them, best in the league.

packer_junkie said:
What kind of trade value does this guy have in redraft? Have him & Eifert. Lot of teams super thin at TE in my league
Probably not much. Guy was on nearly every league waiver wire 2-3 weeks ago so doubtful someone is suddenly going to be clamoring for him. (And in a couple of leagues involved in, was there just several days ago)

With as shallow as TE is, probably not many owners looking to deal him .........and their won't be a large return for those who throw on the block. JMO You'd get a lot more Eifert (young, 1st round pedigree, more stable QB situation/offense despite McCown's great play the last 3 weeks).

As someone that traditionally punts TE, the leagues I grabbed him in I have no intention of dealing him for the aforementioned reasons.

So pissed at myself for not dropping Reed for him Sunday morning. I wanted to give it a week before I dropped Reed and figured Baltimore's D against TEs would help me wait. I already picked him up in my other mandatory TE league. Of course I have Gronk in that one. I did at least get one nice week out of him.

Considering dealing Snead for him in a TE Premium dynasty. I don't know what the shelf life of this Barnidge--McCown connection is but it seems for real now. I don't even need him, as the Gronk owner. But I'm stacked at WR so it seems smart to try and keep Barnidge away from other competitors at this price.

Considering dealing Snead for him in a TE Premium dynasty. I don't know what the shelf life of this Barnidge--McCown connection is but it seems for real now. I don't even need him, as the Gronk owner. But I'm stacked at WR so it seems smart to try and keep Barnidge away from other competitors at this price.
The Gronk owner in my league dropped him a week ago. I picked him up to replace Reed. I played him this past weekend and beat him by 2 points. I'd take him if I was you.

Cameron 2.0?
seriously what is this guy? 30 year old browns TE putting up gronk production? is this cameron 2013? with the rest of the year being a middling TE production at best ala cameron 2013? still on waivers and even with m benettt weighing a healthy bid because 3 weeks in a row is tough to ignore

I picked him up for a bye and sure glad I did. He got hit and dinged a bit in the later part of the game. Anyone know what that was about?

Tangerous said:
ConnSKINS26 said:
The Gronk owner in my league dropped him a week ago. I picked him up to replace Reed. I played him this past weekend and beat him by 2 points. I'd take him if I was you.
Kept him with Gronk after bye and rolled them both out together (Flex Barnidge). I think until the trend turns, he's worth flexing with Gronk.

Picked him up in a league I needed TE help but I have a feeling we'll be chasing points and he will be ww fodder in a few weeks.

As an owner of Eifert as well, Im trying to sell this guy... so far, have had NO luck.
A long FF history has taught me that when mid-career guys start blowing up out of nowhere, it's almost impossible to move them. Everyone just assumes they're going to fall back to mediocrity after a handful of hot weeks.

Most of the time, they're right. But once or twice a year, the guy is a Justin Forsett or a Knowshon Moreno who puts up stud-level production the entire season.

Basically, the only way to realize "value" from guys like this is to trade away your starter, plug in the WW guy, and hope you've hit on the next Forsett instead of the next Kevin Ogletree. High-risk, high-reward.

Picked him up in a league I needed TE help but I have a feeling we'll be chasing points and he will be ww fodder in a few weeks.
Given the dearth of TEs, I don't think he'll be ww fodder even if his numbers expectedly drop from the last three weeks.

Something to consider though is that Barnidge (and McCown) have gone nuts the last three weeks against the Ravens, Chargers and Raiders - none of them exactly defensive juggernauts.

Let's see how Barnidge/McCown do the next four against Cleveland, St. Louis, Arizona and Cincy. if Barnidge continues to produce over this stretch, then we have the pickup of the year.

Browns TE Gary Barnidge is in his 5th NFL season.

In his previous 4 seasons he never had more than 13 receptions (in any single season) and had a grand total of 3 TDs in his first 4 years.

This year after 5 games he already has.:

- 24 receptions (career high)

- 374 yards

- 3 TDs (equals entire 4 year totals)

Barnidge's production isn't happening in a vacuum as QB Josh McCown is breaking his personal career numbers and has set club and even broke an NFL record with his performance in Baltimore, but also WR Travis Benjman is breaking and on a pace to set personal career numbers as well so a lot of credit has to go to coaching and specifically to OC John DeFilippo. He is doing a great job but Barnidge only having 13 receptions as his career high in any of his 4 seasons up to this point is a huge fantasy story.

Users who are viewing this thread