What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Grade your team's draft from 2011 (1 Viewer)

Hooper31

Footballguy
Did this last two years.
Link to the grades from the 2010 draft. Seattle grade = A
Link to the grades from the 2009 draft. Seattle grade = F

Instead of complaining that draft grades are pointless until three years, what say we choose to be productive?

If you wish to participate please include the following:
1. List of drafted players. LINK to DraftHistory.com
2. Players still with team
3. Starters
4. Potential future starters
5. Pro-bowls
6. Positives
7. Negatives
8. Grade

Seattle Seahawks 2011 draft

1.25 James Carpenter T Alabama
3.11 John Moffitt G Wisconsin
4.2 K.J. Wright LB Mississippi State
4.10 Kris Durham WR Georgia
5.23 Richard Sherman DB Stanford
5.25 Mark Legree DB Appalachian State
6.8 Byron Maxwell DB Clemson
7.2 Lazarius Levingston DE Louisiana State
7.39 Malcolm Smith LB USC

Players still with team: 5

Starters: 4

Potential future starters: 1

Pro-bowls: 2

Positives: Acquired both current starting CBs in arguably the best defensive backfield in the NFL. Sherman is a lightning rod of controversy, but he's incredibly productive in the Seahawks scheme. Maxwell didn't get a chance to start until later this past year, but also fit very well into the team's over all scheme. KJ Wright has started since his rookie year replacing horrible draft bust OLB Aaron Curry (former fourth overall pick). Wright's freaky arm length and combination of size/speed again fit the team scheme perfectly. Last pick in the draft by Seattle ends up being the Super Bowl MVP. Smith slides in nicely as the backup LB at all three positions. He gets just as many snaps as the starters through the past two years. He will compete with Bruce Irvin as the starting will LB when training camp starts. This draft combined with the previous and next year built the core of the current super bowl champs. In consecutive years the Seahawks hit massive home runs with their middle to late round selections.

Negatives: Carpenter isn't really a negative, but his injuries have limited his stats. The intent was that he start at RT across from Okung, but he was outplayed by Breno Giacomini (signed as a FA by Jets in offseason). His move to OG has been up and down. At times a mystery and at other times the perfect road-grader in the Seattle power running game. O-line coach Tom Cable still raves about Carpenter and says his best play was during the playoffs this past year. However, the team has decided not the exercise their fifth year option on him opting to let him play for a contract this coming season. Moffitt ended up being a hippy. Was traded for a middle round pick that was eventually out of the NFL. Durham had his chances, but was eventually let go and is now in Detroit.

Grade: A

Last edited by a moderator:
Packers 2011 draft:

1.32 Derek Sherrod

2.32 Randall Cobb

3.32 Alex Green

4.34 Davon House

5.10 DJ Williams

6.14 Caleb Schlauderaff

6.21 DJ Smith

6.32 Ricky Elmore

7.15 Ryan Taylor

7.30 Lawrence Guy

Still with the team 4/10

Starters 1/10

Potential future starters...2?

Pro Bowls 0 I think...

Cobb obviously was a big hit. When healthy he brings a lot of versatility to the offense.

Taylor is just a special teamer...who wouldn't be a shock if he ends up getting cut.

Sherrod is completely unknown after a bad leg break in his rookie year.

House flashes potential, but never quite makes the next step.

I said 2 potential starters for the future with House and Sherrod...but its more likely Sherrod is a backup behind Bulaga and Bakhtiari and House never pushes for a starting corner spot (consistent starting spot.. he has started a few games due to injury) Id put him about as the #5 corner behind Shields, Williams, Hyde and Hayward (when healty).

Grade: Id give most of this draft a D Green and DJ Williams never did much...Green due to ACL injury, but he was disappointing even when healthy.

Cobb's production and potential raise it to a C+.

So many picks, so little talent.

1. http://www.drafthistory.com/index.php/teams/eagles

1.23 Danny Watkins - G

2.22 Jaiquawn Jarrett - S

3.26 Curtis Marsh - CB

4.19 Casey Matthews - LB

4.23 Alex Henery - K

5.18 Dion Lewis - RB

5.30 Juliian Vandervelde - G

6.26 Jason Kelce - C

6.28 Brian Rolle - LB

7.34 Greg Lloyd - LB

7.37 Stanley Havili - FB

2. 3 players still with the team: Jason Kelce, Alex Henery and Casey Matthews. Matthews has been no factor at all and hanging on by a thread. Seems likely that he will not be back. (technically, I guess this is 5 now, as both Marsh and Vandervelde were brought back at the end of 2013 after being cut at the beginning of the season and going to other teams for a while.)

3. Starters - 2: Kelce and Henery

4. Future Starters - 0

5. Pro Bowls - 1*: Kelce has not actually made a pro bowl, but he is regarded as one of the top centers in the game and probably only missed last year due to lack of name value.

6: Positives - 1: Really just Kelce, who is great. Henery has been serviceable, but if you pick a kicker in the 4th round, he should be elite. Rolle was a decent effort guy for a while, but not big or talented enough.

7: Negatives: Infinity? Top 4 picks contributed next-to-nothing. 1st-round pick (Danny Watkins) cut after 2 years. 2nd-round pick (Jaiqwan Jarrett) cut after 1 year! 3rd-round pick (Curtis Marsh) cut after 2 years, then actually re-signed toward the end of the season. 4th-round pick (Matthews) has been nothing but a special-teamer.

8: Grade - D- : I guess a pro bowl center keeps them from getting an F, but they had 1 hit and 10 pretty big misses.

Resist the temptation to grade the current draft. It's folly. Take a look back and evaluate your team's draft from three years ago.

1 1 8 8 Jake Locker QB Washington

2 2 7 39 Akeem Ayers LB UCLA

3 3 13 77 Jurrell Casey DT USC

4 4 12 109 Colin McCarthy LB Miami (FL)

5 4 33 130 Jamie Harper RB Clemson

6 5 11 142 Karl Klug DT Iowa

7 6 10 175 Byron Stingily T Louisville

8 7 9 212hmm Zach Clayton

Locker hasn't quite worked out yet, but Ayers, Casey, McCarthy, and klug make this draft a solid A-

As usual, taking the lesser qb over better players was a mistake. That pick could have been watt, Quinn, or Tyson Smith. But at least they didn't take gabbert. And locker could still pan out.

Houston Texans 2011 Draft

1.11 (11) J.J. Watt DE Wisconsin
2.10 (42) Brooks Reed DE Arizona
2.28 (60) Brandon Harris DB Miami (FL)
4.30 (127) Rashad Carmichael DB Virginia Tech
5.13 (144) Shiloh Keo DB Idaho
5.21 (152) T.J. Yates QB North Carolina
7.11 (214) Derek Newton T Arkansas State
7.51 (254) Cheta Ozougwu DE Rice

Players still with team: 6 (of 8)

Starters: 5

Potential future starters: 0

Pro-bowls: 1 (JJ Watt, 2013)

Positives: Many solid starters came out of this group. The surprise pick for many fans at the top has worked out even better than the team had expected in JJ Watt. The top three picks are all starters. Newton has started a ton the past few years and Keo stepped in this past year an became a starter at FS. Yates came in for Schaub in Houston's best season to date in 2011, but was likely the limiting factor that season on a loaded team.

Negatives: We missed on a 4th round CB and there could be argument that if we had better planned the QB draft, we wouldn't have entered the season exposed with Yates as the backup QB.

Long Ball Larry said:
So many picks, so little talent.

1. http://www.drafthistory.com/index.php/teams/eagles

1.23 Danny Watkins - G

2.22 Jaiquawn Jarrett - S

3.26 Curtis Marsh - CB

4.19 Casey Matthews - LB

4.23 Alex Henery - K

5.18 Dion Lewis - RB

5.30 Juliian Vandervelde - G

6.26 Jason Kelce - C

6.28 Brian Rolle - LB

7.34 Greg Lloyd - LB

7.37 Stanley Havili - FB

2. 3 players still with the team: Jason Kelce, Alex Henery and Casey Matthews. Matthews has been no factor at all and hanging on by a thread. Seems likely that he will not be back. (technically, I guess this is 5 now, as both Marsh and Vandervelde were brought back at the end of 2013 after being cut at the beginning of the season and going to other teams for a while.)

3. Starters - 2: Kelce and Henery

4. Future Starters - 0

5. Pro Bowls - 1*: Kelce has not actually made a pro bowl, but he is regarded as one of the top centers in the game and probably only missed last year due to lack of name value.

6: Positives - 1: Really just Kelce, who is great. Henery has been serviceable, but if you pick a kicker in the 4th round, he should be elite. Rolle was a decent effort guy for a while, but not big or talented enough.

7: Negatives: Infinity? Top 4 picks contributed next-to-nothing. 1st-round pick (Danny Watkins) cut after 2 years. 2nd-round pick (Jaiqwan Jarrett) cut after 1 year! 3rd-round pick (Curtis Marsh) cut after 2 years, then actually re-signed toward the end of the season. 4th-round pick (Matthews) has been nothing but a special-teamer.

8: Grade - D- : I guess a pro bowl center keeps them from getting an F, but they had 1 hit and 10 pretty big misses.
In the modern draft era, has any two-year period been more full of fail than the Eagles' 2010-11 run?

Every NFL team is given 14 picks every two years. The Birds had 24 (TWENTY-FOUR!) ... and what did they reap with that unprecedented bounty of seed corn? One unqualified success (and that with a 6th-rounder), and not a single other above-average NFL starter.

You could literally have thrown 24 darts at Mel Kiper's pre-draft rankings from those two years and probably gotten a better hit rate with your results.

2011 Chicago Bears Draft(This is going to be painful)

Gabe Carimi, OT, Wisconsin

Grade: F

Analysis: Complete non-factor. Could never stay healthy. Looked helpless at tackle and completely over matched at guard. Was gone after two seasons.

Stephen Paea, DT, Oregon St

Grade: C+

Analysis: Rotational defensive tackle who has started mainly due to massive amounts of injuries along the Bears line rather than his own talent.Not really a detriment to the team, he's a valuable/reliable depth option. Not much more.

Chris Conte, S, Cal

Grade: C-/D+

Analysis: Had a couple of seasons as a starter that were marginal as he was hidden by strong defenses in front of him. 2013 was a disaster as he was routinely exposed and at times didn't even look like an NFL quality player. I'd like to think he's not as bad as he showed last season..but that's awfully hopeful. Coming off shoulder surgery now.

Nathan Enderle, QB, Idaho

Analysis: Martz pick/guy. Never saw game action. Was cut not long after Martz was let go. Bounced around some NFL teams in the last few seasons in the offseason/preseason. Currently QBing in the AFL

JT Thomas, LB, West Virgina

Analysis: Saw action in all 16 games his second season on special teams after missing his rookie season with an injury. Was cut prior to last season. Complete non-factor.

Pardon me while I go vomit.

2. Players still with team. 2
3. Starters: 0
4. Potential future starters 0 (if you include Boling in #3)
5. Pro-bowls 0
6. Positives: Paea...kind of..
7. Negatives: Carimi, Enderle, Conte...kind of
8. Grade: F

2011 Bengals Draft.

1.04 A.J Green WR. A+. He's been pretty much everything we could have hoped for. Was gonna hold back the plus as sometimes it seems that he doesn't read the breaks right but it woulda been ludicrous to do.

2.03 Andy Dalton QB. A-. He's the first QB in Bengals history to lead us to the playoffs in 3 consecutive years and he's set passing records doing it. Yes the playoffs have been an issue, but heck it took Ken Anderson nearly a decade before he got a playoff win. For a 2nd round pick it's really hard to ask for more in the real world.

3.02 Dontay Moch LB. D-. He's still in the league which saves the F but we got nothing out of him the first time around. He went to the Cardinals. Now he's back with us and has moved to DE. D- might be generous.j

4.04 Clint Boling G. B-. We've gotten some good production out of him and he's likely the starting LG again. But he tailed off to the point that the Bengals moved Whitworth inside to LG and started Anthony Collins. Probably make or break year for him.

5.03 Robert Sands DB. F. Played one game. Injured, cut after being arrested. Didn't play in '13.

6.02 Ryan Whalen WR. C. He's mostly been a healthy scratch and put up minimal numbers. He's still on the roster as a WR6 basically. But really what is expected from a 6th round pick? Probably that. So I give him a C.

7.04 Korey Lindsey DB. F. Has never played an NFL Game. Didn't make team. Really no choice but to give an F here.

7.43 Jay Finley RB. F. See Korey Lindsey.

Overall draft grade B+. The first two picks make the draft. While Dalton's got his flaws he's realistically the best QB they could have gotten/had in the position in those 3 years - QBs do not grow on trees. A.J. is a stud. Boling is serviceable. The rest is pretty much trash. Could argue for A- based on the impact of those top two players alone but I'll stick with B+

Sorry I just saw that there were rules :bag:

1. List of drafted players. LINK to DraftHistory.com done
2. Players still with team. 5* (4 the whole time, 1 left and came back)
3. Starters Probably 3 (debate is out on Boling)
5. Pro-bowls 4 (1 of those was Dalton being a replacement)
6. Positives (see above)
7. Negatives (See above)
8. Grade B+ like I said above

-QG

Carolina Panthers...

1st - Cam Newton (QB) - Great pick at the top of the board. He has been everything that the team needed and more.

5th - Kealoha Pilares (WR) - Has been injured and relatively useless most of his career, but he's still on the team (until he's cut in August, most likely)

Everyone else has been cut and never made an impact on the team (Terelle McClain, Sione Fua, Brandon Hogan, Laurence Wilson, Zack Williams, Lee Ziemba).

So, it all really comes down to whether you consider it a draft success when you managed to only get one impact player, but he happens to be your franchise quarterback. I'll give it a C based on the fact that the entire future of the team started with that one pick...but man, I really do not miss Marty Hurney and his ridiculous drafts.

This also is a good reminder about why just looking at a sheet of your team needs isn't the best idea. Marty Hurney did that and most of the Panthers drafts ended up looking like this. One pretty good or even great player early on, and a number of weak players otherwise because he reached for positions of need.

Cleveland Browns 2011 Draft... Overall grade: B+

1.21 Phil Taylor DT ..A-.. Defensive starter, recently resigned.

2.05 Jabaal Sheard OLB ..B+.. Defensive starter. Pretty productive. Key component.

2.27 Greg Little WR ..D.. Can sometimes be okay. Accomplished pass dropper. Everyone hoped for more.

4.05 Jordan Cameron TE ..B.. Coming into his own. Could be in the elite tier soon.

4.27 Owen Marecic FB ..F.. Never fulfilled role even though it was very limited. Wasted pick & everyone knew it right away.

5.06 Buster Skrine CB ..C.. Has started several games. For a CB taken in the fifth, moderately productive. Nice nickel back.

5.19 Jason Pinkston OT ..C.. Played inside at OG. Started several games, but rarely rated above mediocre. Filled in admirably.

7.45 Eric Haag. DB ..D.. Saw some playing time. non-factor.

Minnesota Vikings - Overall grade: D+

1.12 Christian Ponder QB Florida State - F
We all know this story. Two years after being drafted he was benched for Matt Cassel. Three years later they drafted Teddy Bridgewater to replace him.

2.43 Kyle Rudolph TE Notre Dame - B
Hasn't quite put it together but is still one of the games best young TE's.

4.106 Christian Ballard DT Iowa - D
Some decent play early in his career but walked out of training camp last year.

5.139 Brandon Burton DB Utah - F
Has been cut by the Vikings and Bills. And it's not because they had too many good cornerbacks.

6.168 Demarcus Love G Arkansas - F
Has been cut by the Vikings and the Jaguars. And it's not because the latter had too many good tackles.

6.170 Mistral Raymond DB South Florida - C-
A combined 53 tackles and 1 int over three seasons.

6.172 Brandon Fusco C Slippery Rock - B
A decent starter. Although I don't think he looks like this.

6.200 Ross Homan LB Ohio State - F
Released by the Vikings during final roster cuts. Signed by the Bucs. Retired due to concussions.

7.215 D'Aundre Reed DE Arizona - F
Now on his third team.

7.236 Stephen Burton WR West Texas A&M - D
Showed some promise, but is now retired due to concussions.

Players still with team: 3 - For now
Starters - 2
Potential future starters - 0
Pro-bowls - 1
Positives - Rudolph is one of the games better young TEs. Fusco has been a solid, if unspectacular starter.
Negatives - Flaming out on a 1st round QB is about the worst thing that can happen. But the rest of it is nearly as bad. They hardly even got any special teams play from these guys.
8. Grade

Bears

Overall grade = F -----

1st = Gabe Carimi - traded to TB for a 6th rounder. they cut him less than a year later. (F)

2nd = Stephen Paea - Average at best. ©

3rd = Chris Conte - LOL (F)

4th = Nathan Enderle - Cut. Beast for Portland Thunder currently. (F)

5th = JT Thomas - hes a bench warmer on Jax. Nuff said. (F)

that was easy

I'm seeing a lot of "F" grades for later round picks. Is that fair? I don't think most would expect a 7th round pick to make their team from year to year. Would they? And if that player was only a special teams player along with some spot starts or specialty situations I would have a hard time being that judgmental.

I like these threads quite a bit because they give us some perspective on what a solid draft looks like. Its very rare to have a year where you get several impact players (or even starters).

I'm seeing a lot of "F" grades for later round picks. Is that fair? I don't think most would expect a 7th round pick to make their team from year to year. Would they? And if that player was only a special teams player along with some spot starts or specialty situations I would have a hard time being that judgmental.

I like these threads quite a bit because they give us some perspective on what a solid draft looks like. Its very rare to have a year where you get several impact players (or even starters).
Sure it is, if you get zero value from the pick - if they don't even make it to the practice squad or latch on and play meaningful minutes for another team - how can that be anything but a complete failure?

I see what you're saying but at the same time in the Bears example Enderle was someone that made the roster, the team never even got into the game and evaluated and ended up cutting him. It's wasted pick on every level. The Thomas F is kind of harsh but the Bears signed him, he was hurt, they kept him on IR for a year he played some ST then got cut. I mean you could maybe bump it to a D and I'm not grading on a scale of every guy has to be a PB'er but if the guy is going to make the team he better be productive.

Sure it is, if you get zero value from the pick - if they don't even make it to the practice squad or latch on and play meaningful minutes for another team - how can that be anything but a complete failure?
You're right that its fair from that perspective. Somehow that doesn't seem right though. Maybe it would be better to grade 4th (or 5th) through 7th round picks as a whole? I'm guessing that the talent drop off from a 4th to a 7th round pick is nominal. A better way to look at each round would be as a percentage of players drafted in each round that actually get a chance as a starter, or even play some percentage of snaps. If you were to take a look at the lists of players drafted each year in the second half of the draft (LINK) I think most would be surprised to see very few recognizable names.

You're right that its fair from that perspective. Somehow that doesn't seem right though. Maybe it would be better to grade 4th (or 5th) through 7th round picks as a whole? I'm guessing that the talent drop off from a 4th to a 7th round pick is nominal. A better way to look at each round would be as a percentage of players drafted in each round that actually get a chance as a starter, or even play some percentage of snaps. If you were to take a look at the lists of players drafted each year in the second half of the draft (LINK) I think most would be surprised to see very few recognizable names.
Agreed and great point, but to be fair I really think that unless you really "hit" on a guy in the later rounds(especially Rounds 6 and 7) it's not going to move the needle on the overall draft grade really at all.

In terms of grading a draft rounds 6 & 7(to an extent Round 5 as well) to me are more "extra credit" opportunities than actual picks that can sink a draft grade.

Washington Redskins 2011 draft

[SIZE=medium]Rnd Pick Player Pos[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]1 16 Ryan Kerrigan DE[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]2 41 Jarvis Jenkins DL[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]3 79 Leonard Hankerson WR[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]4 105 Roy Helu RB[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]5 146 DeJon Gomes DB[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]5 155 Niles Paul WR[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]6 177 Evan Royster RB[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]6 178 Aldrick Robinson WR[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]7 213 Brandyn Thompson DB[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]7 217 Maurice Hurt OL[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]7 224 Markus White DE[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]7 253 Chris Neild NT[/SIZE]

Players still with team: 8

Starters: 1

Pro-bowls: 1

Positives: Kerrigan has been a solid pick. Nothing spectacular, but definitely not a bust. Helu has been fine. He started a few games his rookie year and produced and has been a good receiving back in 2013. He has produced when given the opportunity, which is about what I'd expect out of a 4th round pick. Chris Neild has been good for the 253rd pick. He's had some injuries, but has been a reliable sub on the DL.

Negatives: Jarvis Jenkins is my "Potential future starter", but time is running out. He was injured during the 2011 Preseason, started 14 games in 2012, but only 5 in 2013. He was receiving high praise prior to his injury and has never really shown the ability we were told he'd bring to the DL. Leonard Hankerson has shown flashes but just isn't reliable enough. The fact that he can't secure a starting spot on a team that has been begging for someone to step up is pretty telling. I think the end is near for him. Niles Paul can't catch, which is a problem for a WR...or a TE (Shanahan moved him to TE and said he reminded him of Shannon Sharpe).

Grade: C? I'm really not sure what's a reasonable expectation from a draft. 8 guys still on the roster seems good, but only 1 starter seems bad.

1. List of drafted players.

2011 1 7 Aldon Smith DE 2013 1 1 2 22 43 1 42.0 Missouri 2011 2 36 Colin Kaepernick QB 2013 0 0 1 24 32 382 639 5046 31 11 157 937 9 Nevada-Reno 2011 3 80 Chris Culliver DB 2013 0 0 0 4 32 3 South Carolina 2011 4 115 Kendall Hunter RB 2013 0 0 0 11 43 0 0 0 0 0 262 1202 7 27 268 0 Oklahoma St. 2011 5 163 Daniel Kilgore OL 2013 0 0 0 1 33 Appalachian St. 2011 6 182 Ronald Johnson WR 2012 0 0 0 0 0 USC 2011 6 190 Colin Jones DB 2013 0 0 0 3 44 TCU 2011 7 211 Bruce Miller DL 2013 0 0 2 5 45 16 39 0 48 410 1 Central Florida 2011 7 239 Michael Person OL 0 0 0 Montana St. 2011 7 250 Curtis Holcomb DB 2012 0 0 0 0 0 Florida A&M 2. Players still with team

3. Starters

5: Smith, Kap, Miller; Culliver and Kilgore are penciled in right now.

5. Pro-bowls

Smith and Kap

6. Positives

Elite pass rusher, Pro-Bowl caliber QB with room to grow, Pro-Bowl level FB, and quality depth at RB, C, and CB (of which 2/3 are fighting for starting jobs).

7. Negatives

Smith's off-field issues, ignorant people wanting to stereotype Kap.

8. Grade

A

Positives: Many solid starters came out of this group. The surprise pick for many fans at the top has worked out even better than the team had expected in JJ Watt. The top three picks are all starters. Newton has started a ton the past few years and Keo stepped in this past year an became a starter at FS. Yates came in for Schaub in Houston's best season to date in 2011, but was likely the limiting factor that season on a loaded team.

Negatives: We missed on a 4th round CB and there could be argument that if we had better planned the QB draft, we wouldn't have entered the season exposed with Yates as the backup QB.

I feel like you are a bit generous here, although Watt alone might justify an "A". Reed had a nice rookie year but has been invisible since then. I don't think Harris has started a single game. The fact that Keo and Newton have started for us is really just evidence that we shouldn't have let Quinn and Winston go.

1. Cam Jordan A+

1. Ingram - B-

3. Martez Wilson - C-

3. Johnny Patrick - D+

7. Greg Romeus - F

7. Nate Bussey - F

Players still with team: 2

Starters: 2

Positives: Cam Jordan is getting better and better, all-pro level and finally getting recognition. - Ingram no doubt fulfills the role he was drafted for, short yardage & goal line, but that's all.

Negatives: Everybody else. Wilson and Patrick actually started some games. Wilson looked and sounded great.... until they actually asked him to start and do something. It did not take long for him to be exposed. What were they thinking?

One major negative was just how badly Gregg Williams seemed to be at evaluating defensive talent for the Saints, Jordan has been great but outside of that it's hard to think of any early, mid or late round defensive picks that ever became anything at all.

Ingram: on the positive side the Saints would have lost that 1st to Goodell the next year anyway; on the negative side, so many other positions and RB's those two 1's could have been spent on to good effect. Ingram's first game he flopped on what would have been the game tieing score vs GB; in his last game he fumbled and dropped a key pass vs SEA. One great game vs a horrible DAL defense in between, that about sums it up. "Supposedly" he's turned a corner; he better be doing 5+ ypc this September or he rates somewhere around a C- for his full tenure. However he did and continues to fill a basic need in the NO offense.

Grade: C- (without Jordan it's a D, perilously close to an F. Kind of like Bill Bellichick NO continues to post ~11 wins per years and make the playoffs despite some crummy drafts.).

Year No. Round Pick Player Name Position College

2011 1 1 17 17 Nate Solder T Colorado

2 2 1 33 Ras-I Dowling DB Virginia

3 2 24 56 Shane Vereen RB California

4 3 9 73 Stevan Ridley RB Louisiana State

5 3 10 74 Ryan Mallett QB Arkansas

6 5 7 138 Marcus Cannon T Texas Christian

7 5 28 159 Lee Smith TE Marshall

8 6 29 194 Markell Carter LB Central Arkansas

9 7 16 219 Malcolm Williams DB Texas Christian

Players still with team: 5

Starters: 3

Pro-bowls: 0

Positives: The team found their future, long-term replacement for Matt Light at LT, who retired a year after, in Nate Solder, who has played well as the team's starting LT for the past two years. This draft also landed the pats the explosive and versatile running backs in Stevan Ridley and Shane Vereen, respectively. Both have contributed heavily for the team since they were drafted. The Pats also drafted a solid backup OL who may eventually find himself a starting role in Marcus Cannon.

Negatives: Ras-I-Dowling - then considered to be a reach by many - was a glaring whiff for the Pats. He is currently on the NYJ practice squad. I'd place Ryan Mallet in this section also, for the sole reason that he did not produce enough in any preseason games to warrant any players or picks comparable to where he was drafted. Smith, Carter, and Williams received little to no playing time with the team.

Grade: B - Although the Pats made a huge error with Ras-I, they were able to solidify their starting LT for the foreseeable future, and were also able to revitalize their running game, which was nonexistent for years prior to Vereen and Ridley. A good - but not great - draft for the Pats.

I feel like you are a bit generous here, although Watt alone might justify an "A". Reed had a nice rookie year but has been invisible since then. I don't think Harris has started a single game. The fact that Keo and Newton have started for us is really just evidence that we shouldn't have let Quinn and Winston go.
I agree.

2011 Atlanta Falcons

1- 6- Julio Jones A ( with loss future pick baggage)

3- 91 Akeem Dent C

5 -145 Jacquizz Rogers C-

6- 192 Matt Bosher B

7 -210 Andrew Jackson F

7- 230 Cliff Mathews D

Lions

Rd. 1 Pot head/drunk... talented and specializes in penalties at the worst possible moments when not getting DUIs or into drug trouble.

Rd. 2 Psychopath/quitter... punched a teammate, lined up wrong, mugged a 7-11 clerk or something

Rd. 3 Chronically injured chronic addict.. looked like a decent plodder for a dozen games or so.

Overall grade = Migraine.

Lions

Rd. 1 Pot head/drunk... talented and specializes in penalties at the worst possible moments when not getting DUIs or into drug trouble.

Rd. 2 Psychopath/quitter... punched a teammate, lined up wrong, mugged a 7-11 clerk or something

Rd. 3 Chronically injured chronic addict.. looked like a decent plodder for a dozen games or so.

Overall grade = Migraine.
No need to hide the names. We're not protecting these non-innocents.2011 Draft class

Main article: 2011 NFL Draft

Round Selection Player Position College

1 13 Nick Fairley DT Auburn

2 44 Titus Young WR Boise State

2 57 Mikel Leshoure RB Illinois

5 157 Doug Hogue LB Syracuse

7 209 Johnny Culbreath OT South Carolina State

As is often the case with Mayhew (six years of evidence accumulated), he got a starter with his first round pick, a hit or miss contributor with the 2nds (one is now out of the league, the other barely rostered - another recurring theme), and absolutely zilch in the middle/late rounds.

Dallas:

1.9 Tyron Smith - OT - A+. A pro bowler already. Appears set to be considered one of the best OTs in the NFL for years to come. Still only 23 years old.

2.40 Bruce Carter - LB - C+. Sat out most of his rookie year recovering from pre-draft injury. Played well in 3-4 scheme in 2012. Struggled significantly last year in new 4-3 scheme. Make or break year ahead.

3.71 DeMarco Murray - A-. A good all-around back. Pro bowler this past season. Only question is durability concerns.

4.110 David Arkin - OL - D. Stuck around on the roster to be developed. Never did and was cut.

5.143 Josh Thomas - DB - F. Never did anything for Dallas

6.176 Dwayne Harris - WR - B+. A strong contributor on special teams. Only occasionally plays on offense. A very useful player overall.

7.220 Shaun Chapas - FB - D. Bounced around NFL rosters, but never contributed much

7.252 Bill Nagy - OL - C. Started a couple games as a rookie but got hurt. Dallas tried to sneak him onto practice squad, but Detroit claimed him. I believe he's still on their roster.

Overall, 3 starters (Smith, Carter, Murray) still on roster, including 2 pro bowlers. Harris is key special teamer and reserve. Overall, a solid draft.

Pittsburgh Steelers

1 31 Cam Heyward 13 career starts, 2013 first year as starter

2 63 Marcus Gilbert Started since rookie year, injured in 2nd year limited to 5 starts

3 95 Curtis Brown Cut 2014 never started game

4 128 Cortez Allen Started 11 games over last 2 years

5 162Chris Carter Played in 29 Games Started 4

6 196 Keith Williams and 7 232 Baron Batch cut, Williams nothing and Batch showed promise but injuries won out

On Team 4

Starters 2

Potential 1

Probowls 0

Positives Round 4 and 5 contributors

Negatives 3rd round wasted pick

Grade C Gilbert and Heyward help solidify both lines Allen and Carter back up

Minnesota Vikings - Overall grade: D+

1.12 Christian Ponder QB Florida State - F

We all know this story. Two years after being drafted he was benched for Matt Cassel. Three years later they drafted Teddy Bridgewater to replace him.

2.43 Kyle Rudolph TE Notre Dame - B

Hasn't quite put it together but is still one of the games best young TE's.

4.106 Christian Ballard DT Iowa - D

Some decent play early in his career but walked out of training camp last year.

5.139 Brandon Burton DB Utah - F

Has been cut by the Vikings and Bills. And it's not because they had too many good cornerbacks.

6.168 Demarcus Love G Arkansas - F

Has been cut by the Vikings and the Jaguars. And it's not because the latter had too many good tackles.

6.170 Mistral Raymond DB South Florida - C-

A combined 53 tackles and 1 int over three seasons.

6.172 Brandon Fusco C Slippery Rock - B

A decent starter. Although I don't think he looks like this.

6.200 Ross Homan LB Ohio State - F

Released by the Vikings during final roster cuts. Signed by the Bucs. Retired due to concussions.

7.215 D'Aundre Reed DE Arizona - F

Now on his third team.

7.236 Stephen Burton WR West Texas A&M - D

Showed some promise, but is now retired due to concussions.

Players still with team: 3 - For now

Starters - 2

Potential future starters - 0

Pro-bowls - 1

Positives - Rudolph is one of the games better young TEs. Fusco has been a solid, if unspectacular starter.

Negatives - Flaming out on a 1st round QB is about the worst thing that can happen. But the rest of it is nearly as bad. They hardly even got any special teams play from these guys.

8. Grade
I agree overall. But I think you're being a bit generous to ponder...

Ravens

1 Jimmy Smith CB - B - not great his first two years, dealt with injuries but has shown flashes of brillance more recently. Won't be a top teir corner but could push for next.

2 Torrey Smith WR - B - Debuted as a one trick speedster but has refined his game of late. Hard worker and constantly improving. Big part of SB run.

3 Jah Reid OT - F Big bust, hurt or benched and now off field problems with the law. If depth wasn't a problem would be cut.

4 Tandon Doss WR - C - Typical WR4 role player.

5 Chykie Brown CB - C Decent in limited playing time, may see expanded playing time with Corey Graham's departure.]

5 Pernell McPhee DE - C Solid rotational role player. Good production from a 5th rounder.

6 Tyrod Taylor QB - D Non factor, shown well enough in preseason to keep backup QB job

7 Anthony Allen RB - F Three carries for Eight yards in 3 years. Only player from draft class not with team

Not an amazing draft but grabbed some solid role players. 7 of the 8 players are still with team and Jimmy and Torrey will be starters and core players as they rebuild the team. No huge misses but no home runs. Its hard to be mad a draft two years before a SB win. B-

Cleveland Browns 2011 Draft... Overall grade: B+

1.21 Phil Taylor DT ..A-.. Defensive starter, recently resigned.

2.05 Jabaal Sheard OLB ..B+.. Defensive starter. Pretty productive. Key component.

2.27 Greg Little WR ..D.. Can sometimes be okay. Accomplished pass dropper. Everyone hoped for more.

4.05 Jordan Cameron TE ..B.. Coming into his own. Could be in the elite tier soon.

4.27 Owen Marecic FB ..F.. Never fulfilled role even though it was very limited. Wasted pick & everyone knew it right away.

5.06 Buster Skrine CB ..C.. Has started several games. For a CB taken in the fifth, moderately productive. Nice nickel back.

5.19 Jason Pinkston OT ..C.. Played inside at OG. Started several games, but rarely rated above mediocre. Filled in admirably.

7.45 Eric Haag. DB ..D.. Saw some playing time. non-factor.
I would go B or B- as an overall grade. I can't wait to grade 2012, but its probably the same grade I gave it immediately after they selected. F

Washington Redskins 2011 draft

[SIZE=medium]Rnd Pick Player Pos[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]1 16 Ryan Kerrigan DE[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]2 41 Jarvis Jenkins DL[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]3 79 Leonard Hankerson WR[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]4 105 Roy Helu RB[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]5 146 DeJon Gomes DB[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]5 155 Niles Paul WR[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]6 177 Evan Royster RB[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]6 178 Aldrick Robinson WR[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]7 213 Brandyn Thompson DB[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]7 217 Maurice Hurt OL[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]7 224 Markus White DE[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]7 253 Chris Neild NT[/SIZE]

Players still with team: 8

Starters: 1

Positives: Kerrigan has been a solid pick. Nothing spectacular, but definitely not a bust. Helu has been fine. He started a few games his rookie year and produced and has been a good receiving back in 2013. He has produced when given the opportunity, which is about what I'd expect out of a 4th round pick. Chris Neild has been good for the 253rd pick. He's had some injuries, but has been a reliable sub on the DL.

Negatives: Jarvis Jenkins is my "Potential future starter", but time is running out. He was injured during the 2011 Preseason, started 14 games in 2012, but only 5 in 2013. He was receiving high praise prior to his injury and has never really shown the ability we were told he'd bring to the DL. Leonard Hankerson has shown flashes but just isn't reliable enough. The fact that he can't secure a starting spot on a team that has been begging for someone to step up is pretty telling. I think the end is near for him. Niles Paul can't catch, which is a problem for a WR...or a TE (Shanahan moved him to TE and said he reminded him of Shannon Sharpe).

Grade: C? I'm really not sure what's a reasonable expectation from a draft. 8 guys still on the roster seems good, but only 1 starter seems bad.
Seems like only the Skins could select 12 players and get a "meh" reaction. Kerrigan has been really good, but outside of that, nothing special with anyone else. Helu could be a solid RB, but with Morris there, he just doesn't get many chances. I think a C is about right.

1 (19) CB 1 (19) CB Prince Amukamara, Nebraska - Prince continues to improve on his game. He sat out all of 2011 due to injury. But started 11 of 16 games in 2012 and all of 2013. PFF ranks him at 18th among CBs with over 75% of snaps (aka starters). Not world breaking, but improvement. By comparison a lot of people consider Peterson and Verner 2 of the best young corners and they came in at 11 and 12th on PFF rankings. All in all, 16 game starter and consistently improving year to year. I'll give this pick a B+

2 (52) DT Marvin Austin, North Carolina - Awful pick, if I could give it less than an F I would but alas an F has to suffice.

3 (83) WR Jerrel Jernigan, Troy - Prior to ODB's drafting I probably would've given this pick a C- based on 2014 potential alone as the 3rd WR. But he'll be fairly irrelevant now. He had a decent little stretch last season and I'd say has a good shot at making it somewhere as a 'man'. But will never be a pro-bowl type guy. - D

4 (117) OL James Brewer, Indiana - This one is tough, he started a few games last season. Started out awful but started to put in some good efforts later on in the season. It's possible he beats out Schwarz this year but doubtful. I'd be willing to be he starts a few games at least though as I doubt Snee holds up a whole year. I'm going to give this one a D+ because there's some potential there and he finished out 2013 as a starter on the team. But it remains to be seen what his role will be this year.

6 (185) LB Greg Jones, Michigan State - 3 teams in 3 years. And some IR time. - F

6 (198) SS Tyler Sash, Iowa - Released before the 2013 season after a 4 game ban for PEDs. Never resigned with any team. And recently was arrested. - F

6 (202) LB Jacquian Williams, South Florida - He's far from a pro bowler, but the guy has started for us at every LBing position on the roster. He's started games at MLB and at SLB and WLB. And he's been pretty good while doing them. And he may still beat out Paysinger this season for the starting gig. That coupled with the fact that he was a late 6th round pick? I'm going to give this one a B.

7 (221) RB Da'Rel Scott, Maryland - Started 1 game was released a week later and nobody has signed him since. - F

Players still with team: 4

Starters: 2?

Potential future starters: 3

Pro-bowls: 0

So lets see we have... B, F, D, D, F, F, B, F I'm going to do this interestingly and average them where (A = 1, B = 2... F = 5) and come to an overall grade of D.

Main take-aways - The Good: Prince will likely be a long term starter at his position in this league. Has the potential to develop into a Pro Bowl caliber player, especially with the help of DRC this year to mentor him a little bit. Jacquian Williams was a great pick and has done a lot more than most 6th rounders do in their careers already. And he still has a fighting chance to win the starting gig this season.

The Bad - Tyler Sash and Marvin Austin were AWFUL picks... just straight awful. One was suspended and in prison who knows what happened to the other.

The Maybe? - James Brewer could still form into a good starter in this league. Never likely a probowl caliber player but a good one. He has a lot of guys on the team like Snee who he can learn from and hopefully take over at the position. But the jury is still out. I guess you could also toss Jernigan in this spot as well although I doubt much comes from him.

Based solely on CareerAV, here's how the draft has shaped up so far. Bear in mind this is only based on performance on the field, so there are other factors not incorporated here (injuries, number of players picked, players moving other teams, picks traded for established players, undrafted free agents, etc.):

Code:
SEA	101CIN	87DEN	87HOU	83CLE	81TEN	80DAL	79ARI	74WAS	73SF	70BUF	66NE	65CAR	61ATL	59NYJ	59MIA	54MIN	54BAL	53PHI	52SD	51PIT	48GB	47KC	46OAK	46TB	46NOS	42CHI	38STL	38NYG	34JAC	33DET	30IND	27

Here we go with my Jets.

Tannenbaum draft where he hit on the 1st rounder, but failed to get much else. Grades based on Round

Round 1 - Muhammad Wilkerson - DT - Grade A - One of the better Tackles in the league, Wilkerson came into his own last year with 43 Tackles, 10.5 Sacks and even an INT. Best yet, good character guy who wants to remain on the team.

Round 3 - Kenrick Ellis - DL - Grade C+ - Has not really made the leap and while he has talent in front of him, he really is a nice guy you can plug in there and get some downs from.

Round 4 - Bilal Powell - RB - Grade B- - While not the runner we thought he may be, he does have decent hands, and was very helpful last year...but did not make a big enough impact to dissuade the team from signing both Chris Johnson and Darryl Richardson.

Round 5 - Jeremy Kerley - WR - Grade B - Possession WR who was asked to carry the load in 2013 (and failed to do so). Jets traded up for him, and it worked out well for the team. Though they drafted the slot receiver of the future, Kerley is far from gone and likely will be part of their plans through 2015.

Round 7 - Greg McElroy - QB - Grade D - Well, he did make the team...

Round 7 - Scotty McKnight - WR - Grade D- - Cut after first year and did not latch on anywhere else.

Total Players: 6

Players Still With Team: 4

Starters: 2

Potential Future Starters: 0

Pro-Bowls: 0 (but some in future for Wilkerson)

Overall, typical Tannenbaum draft. Nailed his first rounder (he catches too much heat for Gholston in the sense people do not give him the same credit for Revis), no second rounder, and found a couple of depth picks...in the end, the career AV is 59 thus far with a "small" draft (so it is like top 10 for the year), but Kerley will lose his starting job, giving him one starter total...that part stinks.

ETA: Total grade of B-

Anarchy99 said:
Based solely on CareerAV...
Hi Anarchy,

Were is this data coming from? Would love to see it for other drafts as well.
the draft section from Pro Football Reference. I will add other years if I have time. Here is 2010:

Code:
NE	141SF	135DEN	131SEA	117PIT	115MIA	93GB	92CIN	90KC	90PHI	89OAK	87ARI	84TB	82DET	78CLE	77HOU	75ATL	68NOS	68STL	67SD	66CAR	65DAL	65TEN	58NYG	55IND	54BAL	51WAS	50BUF	48CHI	46JAC	38MIN	34NYJ	20

Code:
GB	151DET	142JAC	140CIN	121PHI	120HOU	115NE	114PIT	114MIN	111BUF	105MIA	99TEN	98IND	92ATL	91SD	82TB	82STL	80OAK	76NYG	75BAL	74NYJ	73CLE	69DEN	69SF	66CHI	64CAR	51ARI	48KC	48SEA	44NOS	43WAS	37DAL	17

Hooper31 said:
Raiderfan32904 said:
Thanks for sharing this. I look forward to the second half being posted tomorrow.
PFF did every team from 2009-2011 over the past month: https://www.profootballfocus.com/?s=draft+grader
Don't know what they concluded, but total Career AV from the drafts in 09-11 . . .

Code:
NE	320SF	302CIN	298GB	290DEN	287PIT	277HOU	273PHI	261DET	250MIA	246TEN	236SEA	231CLE	227BUF	219ATL	218JAC	211TB	210OAK	209ARI	206MIN	199SD	199STL	185KC	184BAL	178CAR	177IND	173NYG	164DAL	161WAS	160NOS	153NYJ	152CHI	148

I briefly read the career AV description on PFR, but I'm still not quite sure how to interpret it.

It is interesting, because the 2010-2011 drafts basically yielded the Eagles almost 0 productivity. The career AV is of course taking into account productivity in other places, so it might be interesting to try to get it for only the players' tenures with their drafting teams.

2011 Bengals Draft.

1.04 A.J Green WR. A+. He's been pretty much everything we could have hoped for. Was gonna hold back the plus as sometimes it seems that he doesn't read the breaks right but it woulda been ludicrous to do.

2.03 Andy Dalton QB. A-. He's the first QB in Bengals history to lead us to the playoffs in 3 consecutive years and he's set passing records doing it. Yes the playoffs have been an issue, but heck it took Ken Anderson nearly a decade before he got a playoff win. For a 2nd round pick it's really hard to ask for more in the real world.

3.02 Dontay Moch LB. D-. He's still in the league which saves the F but we got nothing out of him the first time around. He went to the Cardinals. Now he's back with us and has moved to DE. D- might be generous.j

4.04 Clint Boling G. B-. We've gotten some good production out of him and he's likely the starting LG again. But he tailed off to the point that the Bengals moved Whitworth inside to LG and started Anthony Collins. Probably make or break year for him.

5.03 Robert Sands DB. F. Played one game. Injured, cut after being arrested. Didn't play in '13.

6.02 Ryan Whalen WR. C. He's mostly been a healthy scratch and put up minimal numbers. He's still on the roster as a WR6 basically. But really what is expected from a 6th round pick? Probably that. So I give him a C.

7.04 Korey Lindsey DB. F. Has never played an NFL Game. Didn't make team. Really no choice but to give an F here.

7.43 Jay Finley RB. F. See Korey Lindsey.

Overall draft grade B+. The first two picks make the draft. While Dalton's got his flaws he's realistically the best QB they could have gotten/had in the position in those 3 years - QBs do not grow on trees. A.J. is a stud. Boling is serviceable. The rest is pretty much trash. Could argue for A- based on the impact of those top two players alone but I'll stick with B+

Sorry I just saw that there were rules :bag:

1. List of drafted players. LINK to DraftHistory.com done

2. Players still with team. 5* (4 the whole time, 1 left and came back)

3. Starters Probably 3 (debate is out on Boling)

5. Pro-bowls 4 (1 of those was Dalton being a replacement)

6. Positives (see above)

7. Negatives (See above)

8. Grade B+ like I said above

-QG
He tore his ACL....

Not sure where you got the tailing off thing from. He was playing well until he tore his ACL in the San Diego game. They switched Whitworth into LG to replace him mid-game due to the injury.

Packers 2011 draft:

1.32 Derek Sherrod

2.32 Randall Cobb

3.32 Alex Green

4.34 Davon House

5.10 DJ Williams

6.14 Caleb Schlauderaff

6.21 DJ Smith

6.32 Ricky Elmore

7.15 Ryan Taylor

7.30 Lawrence Guy

Still with the team 4/10

Starters 1/10

Potential future starters...2?

Pro Bowls 0 I think...

Cobb obviously was a big hit. When healthy he brings a lot of versatility to the offense.

Taylor is just a special teamer...who wouldn't be a shock if he ends up getting cut.

Sherrod is completely unknown after a bad leg break in his rookie year.

House flashes potential, but never quite makes the next step.

I said 2 potential starters for the future with House and Sherrod...but its more likely Sherrod is a backup behind Bulaga and Bakhtiari and House never pushes for a starting corner spot (consistent starting spot.. he has started a few games due to injury) Id put him about as the #5 corner behind Shields, Williams, Hyde and Hayward (when healty).

Grade: Id give most of this draft a D Green and DJ Williams never did much...Green due to ACL injury, but he was disappointing even when healthy.

Cobb's production and potential raise it to a C+.
Keep hearing Sherrod may be cut.

Injuries really hurt his and Alex Greens ability. He was not the same after his injury.

San Diego Chargers 2011 Draft "Haul"

1.18 Corey Liuget - B-, solid 2012 but a down 2013, starter

2.18 Marcus Gilchrist - C+, moved to SS in 2013 after two seasons as a CB and managed a decent year, starter

2.29 Jonas Mouton - F, missed two entire seasons on IR, apparently still on the roster but I'm pretty sure I saw him cleaning the bathroom at Filiberto's last week

3.18 Vincent Brown - C-, passed by Eddie Royal on depth chart last season

3.25 Shareece Wright - D, graded out as one of the worst CBs in the league last season

6.18 Jordan Todman - D, waived during the 2011 season and now backing up Gerhart in Jacksonville

6.36 Stephen Schilling - D, I have never heard of this person but he's on the Seahawks now

7.31 Andrew Gachkar - C, still on the team, plays special teams

Still on team - 6/8 (although Mouton, Brown, and Wright might not make it through the offseason)

Starters - 2/8

Pro Bowls - zero

Overall a big back of suck

Users who are viewing this thread