What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official 2011 Philadelphia Eagles Thread*** (1 Viewer)

Julian Vendervelde, Iowa OL in the fifth round.

Another guard for the line. 6-2, 300. 2nd team all Big 10 in 2010, Academic All American too, so smart player. Not flashy but could be a solid contributor.

Eagles take two guys who have never been in my kitchen. :shrug:
Time to dig.
Jason Kelce - OL - CIN - 6'3", 280 - More of a value pick to zone blocking scheme - More of a pass blocker with a good punch but a bit thin.Brian Rolle - LB - Ohio State - 5'10", 229 - Ran a 4.58 - Bottom line, undersized linebacker. Here we go again.
Sounds like a perfect starter lol.
Sounds like a special teams player. ESPN said that during an intervier prior to the draft, the Eagles did show the most interest in him and Rolle felt Philly was the best match. IDK where he fits but he could be a decent 4th behind Bradley/Chaney/Mathews (yes, Mathews).

Sad day if only because it cements what we knew was coming, the end of Akers run. Overall I'm reasonably skeptical of our haul. Our obsession with undersized guys will never make sense to me, because we HAVE to get better at stopping the run and getting teams off the field on 3rd down.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sad day if only because it cements what we knew was coming, the end of Akers run. Overall I'm reasonably skeptical of our haul. Our obsession with undersized guys will never make sense to me, because we HAVE to get better at stopping the run and getting teams off the field on 3rd down.
Not one exciting pick. Reaches. Undersized guys. Typical.Scratching my head

Wasn't expecting exciting picks when the needs are defense and O-line.I liked Mathews the most. Watkins has grown on me as a pick. Also like Dion Lewis as well. I'm OK with the draft overall - but still wondering about the Akers situation and adding Henery.

booobooobooobird

As bad as the defense was last season, and it was really bad, what did they do in this draft to improve?

I don't think they got any impact players, more question marks and unknowns, not to say that they won't pan out, but with how bad the defense was I feel like they needed to do something.

I've already said this, but I really feel like Juan Castillo is destined to fail. Essentially the same players as last year, with Allen and Graham likely starting the season still recovering from knee injuries, how is this defense going to be competitive?

Two comp picks about to be fired off. Let's see where they go.
First pick - Greg Lloyd, LB, UCONN - 6'1", 246 - Barely made the "worth watching" list in Lindy's, with just "Fighter who returned to play in 2010 when many expected him to redshirt".Might be another small LB again.

Wasn't expecting exciting picks when the needs are defense and O-line.I liked Mathews the most. Watkins has grown on me as a pick. Also like Dion Lewis as well. I'm OK with the draft overall - but still wondering about the Akers situation and adding Henery.
Yeah but looking at the Giants, with the Prince and Marvin Austin, that is something to be excited about, if you're a Giants fan.Agree about Watkins and Lewis. Watkins seems like he should step right in and Lewis has some uber quickness. Matthews is more of a wildcard to me.

First pick - Greg Lloyd, LB, UCONN - 6'1", 246 - Barely made the "worth watching" list in Lindy's, with just "Fighter who returned to play in 2010 when many expected him to redshirt".Might be another small LB again.
Second and final 2011 pick - Stanley Havili, RB, USC - 6'0", 227 - FB with good hands. Projected to be drafted earlier. Sounds to me like a replacement for Weaver. I like the selection.

UCONN season ticket holder. I have no idea what the Eagles were thinking with that pick. I hope he makes the team, but before the injury he was strictly a 2 down linebacker. Tried to come back but after an abysmal first two game, he was benched the rest of the season. The Eagles would have been better off drafting the UCONN linebacker still on the board, Scott Lutrus. He was the far better player at UCONN and could play specials.

Second and final 2011 pick - Stanley Havili, RB, USC - 6'0", 227 - FB with good hands. Projected to be drafted earlier. Sounds to me like a replacement for Weaver. I like the selection.
Mayock just called him a finesse fullback. Won't knock you on your butt. Catches and runs the ball well. Greg Lloyd is Gregg Lloyd's son, so that's a positive. I'm trying

The draft is over. What teams need a qb? Arizona didn't draft one right? What about Seattle? I figured these teams would draft a qb late even if they are looking at Kolb or a free agent qb but I don't think they did.

We actually let a coach who just got here and was fresh out of retirement make our fist round pick....wow
:lmao: You make it sound like Howard Mudd just started coaching and knows nothing about coaching NFL offensive lines :lmao:
I have no issues with him coaching it but I do with drafting it fresh out retirement. We seriously have the most talked about position coaches in NFL history I think. These guys can cure cancer and coach football while sleeping...,

Overall not too impressed with the draft, especially with watching what the other NFC East teams did. I don't understand why we didn't try and trade up in the draft rather than trading down. Getting Prince would have been fantastic. IMO, I am not as impressed with Watkins and would rather have had Jimmy Smith. (Even with the character issues). From my point of view, maybe Watkins can step in, which would be great, but while he is older, the other thing is he has only been playing football a few years. There are still a bunch of things the guy has to learn. I would much rather have a shut down corner that would allow our defense to blitz a bit more if our CB can hold his own in 1-on-1. Yeah, the guy has issues, but he can play and opposite Samuel would have been awesome.

Now if through some miracle, we move Kolb for Peterson or if we sign Aso, then the late move for CB makes sense, but if that's not the case.... Then I would say the draft was not what I would hope it would be. Just my opinion.

I don't know how anyone can not like the Henery pick not only is he a strong replacement in case Akers doesn't come back he is a better option then Rocca as a punter. You also have to remember the Eagles were bad on ST because Akers couldn't put the ball in the endzone on kickoffs with the new rule in place Henrey will do it a ton. One last thing the other poster didn't write when he said the guy missed two FG under 50 his whole time in college and that we he only really missed one the other was a blocked kick that a lineman allowed to be blocked. This guy is pure money and will improve kickoffs and maybe punts as well.

Arizona didn't take a DB other than Patrick Peterson so we can assume they are not looking to trade him. Cornerback is a huge need for them and if they had any idea of trading him to the Eagles they would have grabbed another db in the draft in the later rounds.

Overall a draft that will be graded years from now, but has no one to get really excited about this year.

One of these years the team is going to surprise me and take one, or gasp...two, impact linebackers. :shrug:

NFL.com

NEW YORK — It seemed pretty odd at the time, that the Eagles and Patriots swapped pick Nos. 193 and 194 in the fifth round of the 2011 NFL Draft. What made the trade a bit more strange was that it was announced about 30 picks ahead of time, near the end of the fourth round.

As the 21st of 22 trades made during this NFL draft, it simply went like this: Eagles get pick No. 193. Patriots get pick 194. That’s it.

None of us could figure out who benefited from the trade, or why it was made. But after some digging, the answers are “no one ” and “just for fun.”

The Patriots and Eagles apparently made this trade just for kicks. The internet rumors that the teams have conducted draft-day trades every year since Bill Belichick arrived in New England in 2000 are far from true. In fact, according to the fine folks with the Patriots, the teams have conducted four trades since the 2000 season and this is their second-ever draft-day trade.

Nonetheless, it still appears this was just for fun. Although, we have to wonder if there’s a free dinner involved from Andy Reid to Belichick to grease the wheels to get the Patriots to move down that one spot.
:lmao:

Eagles take two guys who have never been in my kitchen. :shrug:
Time to dig.
Jason Kelce - OL - CIN - 6'3", 280 - More of a value pick to zone blocking scheme - More of a pass blocker with a good punch but a bit thin.Brian Rolle - LB - Ohio State - 5'10", 229 - Ran a 4.58 - Bottom line, undersized linebacker. Here we go again.
Sounds like a perfect starter lol.
:lmao: yeah, those perfect starters are always sitting around in the 6th round!!

Well if you look at some of the players the eagles been trotting out as starters lately, its true lol.

Overall this was a bad draft. Giants got alot better from the draft. Eagles got..older and filled some ST / Practice squad slots. Only two picks I can get behind are Watkins & Lewis. Watkins because it fills a huge need but I said before, the age & not alot of experience makes it iffy. I just liked the Lewis pick. The later round guys, those LBs seem to be the typical eagles undersize high motor LBers that will probably see time on the field sadly when they shouldnt. Depth at best. Can't go wrong with the 2 OL picks though, bad part is they are probably already better the the current depth of Cole & MJG

Please stop with the "best OLine coach out there" thing. I thought that was Juan's title the past few years, thats the way people talked him up.

But with all the holes this team had ( and yes there were alot ) they filled one, maybe 2 holes immediately. Hope for a big FA...if there is one.

Overall not too impressed with the draft, especially with watching what the other NFC East teams did. I don't understand why we didn't try and trade up in the draft rather than trading down. Getting Prince would have been fantastic. IMO, I am not as impressed with Watkins and would rather have had Jimmy Smith. (Even with the character issues). From my point of view, maybe Watkins can step in, which would be great, but while he is older, the other thing is he has only been playing football a few years. There are still a bunch of things the guy has to learn. I would much rather have a shut down corner that would allow our defense to blitz a bit more if our CB can hold his own in 1-on-1. Yeah, the guy has issues, but he can play and opposite Samuel would have been awesome.

Now if through some miracle, we move Kolb for Peterson or if we sign Aso, then the late move for CB makes sense, but if that's not the case.... Then I would say the draft was not what I would hope it would be. Just my opinion.
When I hear a guy is a starter from day one, yet "still has things to learn" because he's "only played FOUR years" :unsure: , my mind translates this to:"HOly s@%$^, this guy's a first round talent and starter from day one with so little experiance that he'll ALSO quickly get BETTER?!" :excited: Seriously, if the guys a legit talent this early and a starter, the limited experiance is a PLUS, not a minus. If he had nothing to learn, he'd have little or no upside. If he has a lot to learn, he has MORE upside, not less.

There are some fair criticisms a negative nelly could level at the Eagles, this isn't one of them.

As bad as the defense was last season, and it was really bad, what did they do in this draft to improve?I don't think they got any impact players, more question marks and unknowns, not to say that they won't pan out, but with how bad the defense was I feel like they needed to do something. I've already said this, but I really feel like Juan Castillo is destined to fail. Essentially the same players as last year, with Allen and Graham likely starting the season still recovering from knee injuries, how is this defense going to be competitive?
Our first was spent on another spot of need (the O-line). And no matter how how think, "impact players" after the first are 1. Uncommon 2. HIGHLY subjective until they actually get pads on. Your expectations are unrealistic if you expect multiple impact players by YOUR specific definition and criteria. The Eagles grabbed a corner AND a safety fairly early, and drafted multiple LB's. WHo knows if any stick or develope into something, but it's ridiculous to say they did nothing to help the defense.I firmly believe that picks between the late third and mid fifth are roughly equivalent. Grabbing a "fifth round grade" guy in the late third is not a real reach. It might not be YOUR pick, but it's not a reach.

Its cool some folks want to defend the picks, but there is no one out here that believes this draft was a slam dunk ... or heck, above average.

Henery, while an odd pick, was a great addition to your team. That dude has ice in his veins and can hit it out to 60+. If you can find the clip, he booted a kick in the Big 12 title game last season that was around 50 yards, that went over the TOP of the field goal posts, right down the center. As the commentator said "That would've been good from 65..."

Last anecdote, and the moment Henery went from local hero walk-on to part of Nebraska lore (this is also the only Nebraska game I've been to): In 2008, Nebraska was having trouble with traditional rival Colorado. By the 4th quarter, the score was 31-30 Colorado with 2 minutes remaining. Nebraska drives the ball to the CU 25 yard line when it all falls apart. On 2nd and 10, QB Joe Ganz drops back... and back... and back... and gets sacked at the CU 40 yard line. This is followed up by an incomplete pass to TE Mike McNeil, leaving Nebraska with 4th and 25, less than 2 minutes to go, down one point. Timeout Nebraska.

Henery, a walk-on sophomore, goes up to Pelini and begs him to let him kick. "I can make it coach." Coach Bo Pelini goes up to OC Shawn Watson and says "Hey Wats, what've you got for 4th and 25?" -- *Pause* "I've got nothing coach." Pelini comes back to Henery, "Are you sure that you can hit it?" -- "I've made it in warmups, I've been hitting it good" -- "Alright, let's do it."

1:37 left on the clock, the Nebraska FG unit runs onto the field; lined up for a 57 yard attempt in the open air of Memorial stadium. Never, in the long history of storied Nebraska kickers, has a FG been hit beyond 55 yards. "He'll never make it, he doesn't have the leg" I remember saying to my buddy in the student section. Snap, hold, boot. The ball hangs in the air, wobbles a bit to the right, and sneaks in just over the crossbar. Pandemonium. Crowd goes absolutely nuts. I've still got it saved on my DVR.

This guy will win you some playoff games on clutch kicks, guaranteed.

When I hear a guy is a starter from day one, yet "still has things to learn" because he's "only played FOUR years" :unsure: , my mind translates this to:

"HOly s@%$^, this guy's a first round talent and starter from day one with so little experiance that he'll ALSO quickly get BETTER?!" :excited: Seriously, if the guys a legit talent this early and a starter, the limited experiance is a PLUS, not a minus. If he had nothing to learn, he'd have little or no upside. If he has a lot to learn, he has MORE upside, not less.

There are some fair criticisms a negative nelly could level at the Eagles, this isn't one of them.
:goodposting: My thoughts exactly. If the guy was already graded as a sure thing by some after only playing 4 years of ball, he still has a lot of learning to do but will become that much better.

When I hear a guy is a starter from day one, yet "still has things to learn" because he's "only played FOUR years" :unsure: , my mind translates this to:

"HOly s@%$^, this guy's a first round talent and starter from day one with so little experiance that he'll ALSO quickly get BETTER?!" :excited: Seriously, if the guys a legit talent this early and a starter, the limited experiance is a PLUS, not a minus. If he had nothing to learn, he'd have little or no upside. If he has a lot to learn, he has MORE upside, not less.

Maybe he will and maybe he will be the next Runyan... time will tell. I'm just saying I would rather have had a shutdown corner than an OLine in the first round. I understand your point and I understand that the hopes are he plays for a number of years being that he will already be 27 when he plays first NFL game. Solid pick? sure, 1st round grade. Great pick? I think we could have done better. As it's been pointed out earlier, it's an average draft for the eagles. They reached on a couple of picks. I still don't think they fixed their secondary issues and with the way the NFC East is going, we have to improve our secondary. IMO, it looks like Reid is content to fix the secondary but adding DLine to put additional pressure on the QB. I think he needs to balance it a bit and add some stronger help in the secondary.Not that I am an expert, but watching this draft, I was HOPING the Eagles would have moved up and taken Prince or even Aaron Williams in the early second. Didn't happen. So I'm happy that we did something to improve the OL, but I would have preferred secondary where we get beat. My opinion.

Its cool some folks want to defend the picks, but there is no one out here that believes this draft was a slam dunk ... or heck, above average.
TO be fair, I don't see anything wrong with some criticism, or some defending. What's wrong is extreme statements and attitudes.I liked some picks, didn't like others. I think castrating the Eagles for reaching a round in the late third is ridiculous, but it's not at all ridiculous to dislike the pick. Expecting " multiple impact players" is unreasonable and unrealistic, expecting a productive first round pick is not. BUt an O-lineman in the first is rarely going to be sexy. DBs taken in the 2nd and 3rd are rarely sexy. WE knew that was the plan (or we speculated that anyway), so why the dissapointment in an un-sexy draft?

Maybe he will and maybe he will be the next Runyan... time will tell. I'm just saying I would rather have had a shutdown corner than an OLine in the first round. I understand your point and I understand that the hopes are he plays for a number of years being that he will already be 27 when he plays first NFL game. Solid pick? sure, 1st round grade. Great pick? I think we could have done better. As it's been pointed out earlier, it's an average draft for the eagles. They reached on a couple of picks. I still don't think they fixed their secondary issues and with the way the NFC East is going, we have to improve our secondary. IMO, it looks like Reid is content to fix the secondary but adding DLine to put additional pressure on the QB. I think he needs to balance it a bit and add some stronger help in the secondary.Not that I am an expert, but watching this draft, I was HOPING the Eagles would have moved up and taken Prince or even Aaron Williams in the early second. Didn't happen. So I'm happy that we did something to improve the OL, but I would have preferred secondary where we get beat. My opinion.
This is a fair criticism. These aren't the kind of negative nelly comments I was referring to.I do happen to disagree though ;) O-line was horrible last year, and it was every bit as big an area of need as the secondary. They spent 2nd and 3rd round picks on that secondary, as well as several late picks on flyer LBs. I don't like all their choices either, but it's not fair to say they ignored the issue (as suggested by some). It's fair to question whether those choices will fix the issue, as you have, but they have NOT ignored it.

Users who are viewing this thread