What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Treylon Burks, TEN (1 Viewer)

Titans OC wanted to do a 3WR set last year but had to go back to 2TE because the tackles weren't cutting it, injuries, and they just hadn't bought in. They did use 3WR a good amount as the season wore on.

They drafted Radunz as a RT, who many had as a G, and played him at G. He may be the RT this year or they have to pick one. 

Lewan and a blocking TE have been a phenomenal combo for years.

Two and three TE set doesn't give opportunities the way FF folks like.

AJB took a while to get rolling. Maybe four? six weeks? and he'd have issues some games as a rookie.

Everything is the same really (even line issues) so I would project Burks to get AJBs rookie #s. 

Man i wish I liked this guy more. I was okay with them taking him 1.26 but 18 seems high and it sucks that they couldn’t make it work with brown. Or chose not to. 

I'm a Titans guy.  I couldn't believe it when I heard the trade happened.  TN has gone through so many awful WR's, to finally have a good one--seems nuts to throw him away.

That said, it sounds like he wanted more than they were willing to pay.  And for a kid that seems to be constantly dinged up--I get having pause at throwing crazy money at him.  A big part of me wishes they would have paid him.  But I also get the business side of football causes issues and we're not the only team losing our WR1 to this.  

I liked Burks a lot coming out.  Hilariously, it was my hope we'd land Burks at 26 to pair WITH Brown.  Fantasy wise he slots into a very favorable position.  Is he good enough to take advantage year 1?  Time will tell.  

Last edited by a moderator:
There was a Tweet from an Arkansas fan account that he decided to have a home draft party instead of going to Vegas because he wanted to hunt and fish with friends and family.  Immediately one of the coolest kids in the draft.  A few hours before the draft, I sent that to my buddy and said this kid was built to be in Tennessee.  I wasn't "calling it" but was certainly hoping for it.

wgoldsph said:
Burks isn't as good as an athlete or route runner as AJB was.
AJB didn't have gaudy stats. Much like David Boston who we all compared him to- He had way more respect earned from big plays than one would generally figure.

We're FF here, stat related. The rook should be in a position to match.

Respectfully please take a look at AJBs stats for comparison. Last year and rookie year are really not all that special and unattainable for a replacement.

ESPN's Jordan Reid believes the Titans "are likely to force feed [Treylon Burks] as a rushing and receiving threat" in 2022. 

The 18th pick in the 2022 NFL Draft and the de factor replacement for A.J. Brown -- who was dealt to the Eagles last week -- Burks should be in for a hefty workload, even in Tennessee's run-first offense. Reid said Burks "could have an impact in multiple areas because of the volume of touches he is likely to get early as a rookie." He had 29 rushing attempts for 188 yards and one touchdown in his final two collegiate seasons. At Arkansas, Burks feasted on intermediate targets and was dominant after the catch. He was highly efficient on downfield targets and ate up single coverage. Mostly a slot receiver at Arkansas, expect Burks to see more time out wide in Tennessee as the team's alpha wideout. The rookie could skyrocket up fantasy draft boards with enough hype this summer. 

SOURCE: ESPN.com 

May 3, 2022, 11:28 AM ET

AJB didn't have gaudy stats. Much like David Boston who we all compared him to- He had way more respect earned from big plays than one would generally figure.

We're FF here, stat related. The rook should be in a position to match.

Respectfully please take a look at AJBs stats for comparison. Last year and rookie year are really not all that special and unattainable for a replacement.

Seems like a collective yawn from the FF community so far.

AJB was WR20, WR14, and WR32 in full PPR. I've got Burks around WR44 rn, roughly 150 FF points.

AJB was WR20, WR14, and WR32 in full PPR. I've got Burks around WR44 rn, roughly 150 FF points.
To be fair, WR14, WR4 and WR22 on a per start basis. So basically always at least a WR2, and sometimes elite. 

I don't see Burks with anywhere near Brown's talent, or upside. Frankly in 2022, I'd bet on Robert Woods leading the team in receiving. 

Dynasty draft wise, I have Burks 10th overall. I have a ton of questions about his talent, despite his draft capital, as well as who his QB will be long term. It can get a lot worse than Tannehill. 

May I reiterate my post.

AJB was explosive and a Bavaro beast after some catches so he got a ton of praise and attention from the D. He had 11 and 8 TDs for 1050ish yards his first two years.

Last year, he had 52rec for 869 and 5TDs.

I don't think it's difficult to replace those stats in a season especially with a 17th game. 1000 isn't that tough anymore and 869 is somewhat average.

Us FF folks are the guys to separate the wow from the stats. I love AJBs big plays and they'll forever be some of my favorite plays. His stats don't at all give me elite Michael Thomas cooper kupp Jerry rice Marvin Harrison type vibes.

I think a rookie can get 1000 or 869 in a 17 game season. Per week, that's not asking too much.

There's a lot of love (err maybe an increase from nothing?) for their other rookie WR Phillips who is supposed to be a NFL ready prototypical slot wr. 

The Titans changed OCs and Downing wanted to use three WR sets but it didn't work and Tannehill was getting smashed by sacks. They reverted to the two and three TE offense as their base and only used the 3WR set in spots. The TE set obviously did well, they had a good year last year.

They previously spent the most $ that year on a free agent WR in Tampa's Adam Humphries and had the same issue. He didn't do much in TEN.

Not to miss Henry absolutely thrives in this offense an they're arguably the best rushing offense in it.

Injury or lesser player, they've needed help for the tackles and have drafted a T each of the last three years. If Petit Frie can be the RT and get the job done without much TE help...maybe. I mean they drafted the WR for a reason and ya gotta figure the OC wants to run his offense not his predecessor. 

Woods is out probably the first month and the Titans 1 has to be a violent blocker so he's not gonna be sprinkled in but play when he's 💯

All of this leaves Burks with....well who else is gonna catch it? 1000 is just 58 yards per game and it just seems like we'll yeah maybe probably, I don't like to project stats for rookies but the guy couldn't have more opportunity which we covet in FF. 

To be fair, WR14, WR4 and WR22 on a per start basis. So basically always at least a WR2, and sometimes elite. 

I don't see Burks with anywhere near Brown's talent, or upside. Frankly in 2022, I'd bet on Robert Woods leading the team in receiving. 

Dynasty draft wise, I have Burks 10th overall. I have a ton of questions about his talent, despite his draft capital, as well as who his QB will be long term. It can get a lot worse than Tannehill. 

TBF he was WR32 in the aggregate and WR31 on PER GAME.

Burks ain't sniffing either of those in 2022.

IMO

Last year, he had 52rec

Rookie minicamp: According to multiple beat writers on the ground, Burks looked gassed and needed the aid of an inhaler. He exited early, came back for team drills, and then left once again shortly thereafter.

https://titanswire.usatoday.com/2022/05/13/titans-treylon-burks-had-rough-first-day-of-rookie-minicamp/

https://titanswire.usatoday.com/lists/titans-rookie-minicamp-2022-draft-picks-news-video/
One share.  Is that one share too many?  That statement has nothing to do with his first day at rookie minicamp either.  Waldman warned us about Burks in one of his podcasts.

One share.  Is that one share too many?  That statement has nothing to do with his first day at rookie minicamp either.  Waldman warned us about Burks in one of his podcasts.
I'm pulling for him because of college ties but never got a chance to draft him in any 9 of my leagues, was always gone.

But before I knew I'd never actually have a chance to draft him and was sorting out the top WR's post-NFL draft I must admit a piece I read from Bob McGinn, which was his long running series were he polls NFL personnel people, had me a little spooked.

What got me was out of 16 personnel people he polled Treylon was voted most likely to bust by a whopping 7.5 votes to next runner up of 3(Drake and Jameson) while only getting one vote for best WR.

That was hard to shake out of my head, because I like him I wanted to own him one place but can't say I'm feeling torn up about not getting a shot.

A lot was made about Treylon Burks leaving practice yesterday. Some of it was by people who weren't even there. Burks came back today, went through full practice w/no signs of fatigue. He had a drop but bounced back and made a couple of catches in team period & 7 on 7. #Titans

But before I knew I'd never actually have a chance to draft him and was sorting out the top WR's post-NFL draft I must admit a piece I read from Bob McGinn, which was his long running series were he polls NFL personnel people, had me a little spooked.

What got me was out of 16 personnel people he polled Treylon was voted most likely to bust by a whopping 7.5 votes to next runner up of 3(Drake and Jameson) while only getting one vote for best WR.
Day 1 met those insider expectations. 

First Impressions on Every Member of the Titans Draft Class Following Rookie Minicamp

Excerpt:

WR Treylon Burks

Burks was the team's first pick, and I think he's going to end up being a good player for the Titans. I was impressed by what I saw of him at Arkansas (I was in Tuscaloosa when he caught eight passes for 179 yards and two touchdowns vs Alabama last November), and I liked how he handled himself in his visit to Nashville after being picked 18th overall. I wish I could tell you he got off to a stellar start over the weekend, but that wasn't the case. Burks left practice early on Friday because of breathing issues, and while he had a pair of catches on Saturday, he also had a pretty bad drop in the middle of the field on a beautifully thrown pass. Overall, his weekend was just OK. So, what does it all mean? It means he didn't have a spectacular start in rookie camp, that's it. Also, keep this in mind: Running back Derrick Henry was called out for "stumbling" and looking "uncertain" in drills during his rookie camp in 2016. I think it's safe to say he turned out to be pretty good. So, maybe ease back on the overreactions.

Jim Wyatt @jwyattsports

.@TreylonBurks practiced in full on Saturday on Day of @Titans rookie camp, no issues. Here’s Burks on the ladder drill.

https://twitter.com/jwyattsports/status/1525550050650243072?s=21

Titans signed WR Treylon Burks to a four-year, $14.36 million contract. 

The deal is fully guaranteed and comes with a fifth-year option. A highly productive, big-bodied wideout taken with the 18th pick in the 2022 NFL Draft, Burks, 22, is expected to replace A.J. Brown -- an an Eagle -- as Tennessee's WR1. In his final collegiate season, Burks recorded 67 receptions for 1,123 yards and 11 touchdowns in 12 games, earning first-team All-SEC honors. His big play potential could help offset the likely lack of target volume he'll see in a run-first Titans offense. 

SOURCE: Field Yates on Twitter 

May 17, 2022, 10:40 AM ET

Titans coach Mike Vrabel said WR Treylon Burks is practicing without limitations at OTAs.

Burks was sidelined with conditioning issues at rookie minicamp. The first-round pick has had a rough offseason, dropping passes and struggling to stay on the field in team workouts. The slow start from Burks has Tennessee in the mix for a veteran signing.

SOURCE: Sports Illustrated

May 28, 2022, 10:06 AM ET

Titans receivers coach Rob Moore said Treylon Burks has asthma. 

Questions about the rookie wideout's conditioning have persisted for weeks after Burks -- Tennessee's first round pick in the 2022 draft -- was spotted having "breathing issues" during the team's rookie minicamp. Sports Illustrated's Albert Breer recently reported that Burks "labored" through pre-draft private workouts. Burks was limited in early OTA sessions. “It differs every now and then, but I’m just taking it one day at a time and just playing ball,” Burks said. Burks' condition is worth monitoring during mandatory minicamp and training camp. He's being taken as the 43rd wideout off the draft board in early fantasy leagues. 

SOURCE: Joe Rexrode on Twitter 

Jun 7, 2022, 10:01 AM ET

Burks had to sit out at Organized Team Activities as he dealt with problems related to asthma, and he has missed practices in minicamp as well.

Titans head coach Mike Vrabel said Burks is “unavailable” without giving any specific explanation of what the issue is.

https://twitter.com/ProFootballTalk/status/1537457541432631297
Vrabel explains injuries once or twice then says unavailable. He doesn't have to answer til camp and he'll remind anyone of that. It's a little annoying but when he follows with "does anyone want to ask questions about the players that are here" I kind of understand.

Unavailable could be asthma but could also be dentist appointment or busy buying a home or his mom's sick or....so ya just gotta swallow the unavailables til TC

You would think there are other NFL players that have asthma and deal with it with medication.  It's a prevalent enough condition over the population.  I dunno, just spitballing.  It's definitely concerning but something tells me he'll manage somehow.

You would think there are other NFL players that have asthma and deal with it with medication.  It's a prevalent enough condition over the population.  I dunno, just spitballing.  It's definitely concerning but something tells me he'll manage somehow.
I doubt it will be anything like Chase and his drops in the preseason, but if this negative talk continues, think people will be drafting Burks at a bargain and will be happy they did.

I mean he had a college career, so sure. Plus most of the football season there’s not as many allergens in the air.

I’ve had asthma forever. When I was in grade school, the medicine wasn’t effective. It sucked not being able to breathe, especially during exercise. 
However, medical options are now a million times better.. it’s hard to believe that there’s no effective treatment available. It’s mind blowing really. He’s another guy I’ll be targeting if he stays cheap. Prefer London but I’m fine taking him. 

Lots of negative drum beats going back to before the draft. The one positive is that they believed enough in him to move AJ Brown away and to draft him high. Ok maybe maybe not I mean my take is that the Brown trade was more about $ cap issues and possibly Brown's knee issues. It is a bit of a stretch to say let's take that trade and say it is an endorsement of Burks. But nevertheless there has not been much to go on in a positive light.

But I agree that the asthma can be debilitating. I have intense spring allergies myself and know how hard that can be. I had asthma as a kid and grew out of it but the combo is really tough. I would like to be able to say that they have Burks down in the HVAC controlled gym inside banging out workouts. But we haven't heard anything. Don't suppose we will, either, but I am definitely eager to hear some positive drumbeats at some point.

Titans GM Jon Robinson said that WR Treylon Burks did "a nice job in the conditioning test." 

"We're excited about the trajectory he is on," Robinson added. Coach Mike Vrabel noted that he "doesn't see anything limiting Burks at this point." Burks' conditioning was a big storyline early in the offseason, and one that has cratered his ADP, but there's still time for a comeback story with a good camp. Burks' main 2022 fantasy problem will be the uphill battle of playing in a run-first offense and not being the No. 1 target.

SOURCE: Terry McCormick on Twitter

Jul 26, 2022, 1:26 PM ET

Sold him for a 2023 1st today.  Only reason I drafted him at 1.07 was that he was the best player available.   I’m deep at WR. so I hope to land a good RB with the 2023 pick and it is at least 1.05 or 1.06.

I'm torn on this kid.  He has physical tools, but also has a slew of red flags.

Could be a bust or could be AJ Brown 2.

I'm old enough to remember (two weeks ago) when I got lectured by a leaguemate for responding to his lowball BS with a reasonable counter on my part, but that he thought didn't reflect the change in market price for him (Burks, the rookie that hasn't played a snap yet). Apparently I don't pay attention to the market because if I did my team would be better (it is actually quite good though not perfect).

Well I guess now I should look him up and send him Burks for like three 2023 1sts since obviously the price has gone up, if the market change (for the rookie that hasn't played a snap in the NFL yet) is to be reflected.

I'm not a huge Burks guy, or a big believer in Titans offense. 

But he has better physical traits than any rookie, and I think it's very possible one story about him not finishing practice makes him a buy. 

I'm not a huge Burks guy, or a big believer in Titans offense. 

But he has better physical traits than any rookie, and I think it's very possible one story about him not finishing practice makes him a buy. 
Clear as mud, indeed. I feel like the Larry David gif from Curb where he’s leaning one way then the other.

On the pro side, dominated arguably the best conference in college football for an Arkansas team without a lot of alternatives, so one could infer the D knew Burks was the primary guy and he still produced (+1).

But then the athletic profile is not elite (-1).

But then he got first round draft capital (+1).

But then the team doesn’t have a high volume passing game and his QB is meh (-1).

But then they cleared the runway for him by trading AJ Brown and drafting Burks to fill that role (+1).

But then he has asthma, or just showed up to minicamp in terrible shape (-1).

But then he apparently hunts wild hogs with a knife like Wild Boar Dundee (+1).

But then he doesn’t really run routes or separate (-1).

I'm enjoying the contact in the highlights. It doesn't appear he's changing his game despite bigger stronger faster defenders than in college. 

Users who are viewing this thread