What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Rashod Bateman, BAL (2 Viewers)

Hmm, COVID report causing the lost weight really muddles things, but it doesn’t make you get shorter.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm over the moon getting him at 2.1
That simply isn't going to happen.  I look for him to go no later than 1.9.  Somewhere in this group:  Harris, Chase, ETN, Williams, Waddle, Smith, Pitts, Bateman, Lawrence.  Someone could pull a surprise and like either Elijah Moore, Marshall, or Gainwell, but I doubt you would have 3 surprises pushing him to 1.12, but it could happen I suppose.  

Just saw him interviewed on NFLN and he said he's never been over 200 in his life. When asked where those measureables came from he said "you'd have to ask Gophers PR or someone around here".

That simply isn't going to happen.  I look for him to go no later than 1.9.  Somewhere in this group:  Harris, Chase, ETN, Williams, Waddle, Smith, Pitts, Bateman, Lawrence.  Someone could pull a surprise and like either Elijah Moore, Marshall, or Gainwell, but I doubt you would have 3 surprises pushing him to 1.12, but it could happen I suppose.  
Sure.  I was just responding to someone else asking if he were at 2.1.  As it stands I've got Marshall at 8 and Bateman at 9.  That may flip flop.  If I'm at 8/9--I'm ecstatic with either of those.  

Sure.  I was just responding to someone else asking if he were at 2.1.  As it stands I've got Marshall at 8 and Bateman at 9.  That may flip flop.  If I'm at 8/9--I'm ecstatic with either of those. 
He might make it to you at 2.1, no one knows this stuff for sure right now.

Ridley made it to 12 in two leagues of mine and I never thought that was possible AFTER the NFL draft so it's sure possible without us knowing landing spots right now.

My post about 2.1 was almost 2 months ago. I would break my keyboard at 2.1 now that we have more info on him and his speed. He's probably more like 1.6-1.9 barring some nfl draft anomaly. 

I dont find myself agreeing with Casserley often but he is right to point out the drops. You see Bateman drop a routine catch in the brief drills they show.

He also mentions Bateman needing to work on his technique as far how quickly he gets in and out of his breaks. A lot of WR need to work on that coming into the NFL but its something I have noticed with him as well. Tyler Johnson is better than him at this.

I didnt agree with the comment about Bateman looking like a 4.5 speed guy on the field. He looked very fast and not difficult for me to believe he ran something close to a 4.4 forty time.

Minnesota, Oklahoma State, UCF pro days: Rashod Bateman makes case for first round

Excerpt:

A few eyebrows were raised when Bateman measured 6-foot-3/8 and 190 pounds on Thursday after being listed by Minnesota at 6-2, 210, but Bateman told NFL Network reporter Tom Pelissero, who was on assignment at the pro day, that he's never weighed more than 200 pounds. Anyway, the subject quickly changed to Bateman's speed when he clocked an impressive 4.39-second 40-yard dash. He also posted a 36-inch vertical jump and broad jump of 10 feet, 3 inches.

Scouts told Pelissero the Gophers pass catcher looked really good in positional drills, which were run by Bears WR coach Mike Furrey and Panthers WR coach Frisman Jackson.

After the workout, Bateman told Pelissero he had COVID-19 last summer, which is why he initially opted out of the 2020 season, and that he never felt like himself after he opted back in. Fortunately, Bateman said he is feeling back to his normal self now.

"I just hope that I showed them that I'm a first-round draft pick," he said of his pro day showing. "I came out here and I ran fast and I performed at my best. I ran good routes. I did good in all the drills. I think I solidified myself, but at the end of the day, if that doesn't happen, I'm just here to play football."

Not sure how much the COVID thing is real or an excuse but if what he says is true about not being right for months and losing 20 pounds, there may have been some longterm damage. That is a little worrisome. 

Not sure how much the COVID thing is real or an excuse but if what he says is true about not being right for months and losing 20 pounds, there may have been some longterm damage. That is a little worrisome. 
Hell, Andrews plays with diabetes, I'm not worried about this unless given reason to.

Hell, Andrews plays with diabetes, I'm not worried about this unless given reason to.
Right but isn't what Bateman said a reason to worry? This isn't a "what if Andrews catches COVID" situation, it is a "Bateman had COVID and 9 months later he is still not back to where he was pre-COVID". Note Bateman is also asthmatic. 

He did say in that interview at his pro day that he's 190 now but physically bigger than when he weighed 195.
I assume he means he is stronger or has added muscle. I am not saying stay away from him or anything. I really like him, just seems like a small red flag has popped up on a player we thought we pretty free of them. 

The weight isnt a big deal to me as it seems to be for some of you.

Bateman is taller than I thought he was based on measurements I saw, almost 6' 4' ? That is a couple inches taller than I was thinking he was.

I think, just for posterity's sake, we should write his height out because I think we're getting confused what the height symbols mean here. He's 6'0" tall with an additional 3/8 of an inch added to his six feet of height. He's not 6'4", or six feet four inches. That's three and five-eights inches too big.

Mac Jones not worth a first-round pick; Rashod Bateman the next Justin Jefferson?

Excerpt:

RASHOD BATEMAN: The next Justin Jefferson?

The discussion around the 2021 wide receiver class has centered exclusively on the talents of Ja'Marr Chase, DeVonta Smith and Jaylen Waddle, but hardcore draft fans and fantasy footballers should keep an eye on Rashod Bateman, as an underrated pass catcher with the potential to pop immediately at the next level.

The Minnesota standout checks off all of the boxes as a No. 1 receiver with his capacity to play out wide or in the slot while displaying outstanding speed, burst and explosiveness as a crafty route runner and playmaker. The sure-handed Bateman catches everything within the strike zone while also making the spectacular catch look like a routine play. He displays A-plus hand-eye coordination and snatches balls in traffic prior to absorbing (or avoiding) big shots as he works between the hashes.

Despite measuring just 6-foot-3/8, 190 pounds at his pro day (well below his listed size of 6-2, 210 pounds in the Golden Gophers' football program), Bateman's playing style is like watching Justin Jefferson go to work on the perimeter. He utilizes every trick in the book and consistently finds a way to get open against man or zone coverage. Bateman's combination of exceptional stop-start quickness and savvy route-running techniques make him a difficult guard on the perimeter, particularly as he moves around to take advantage of favorable matchups.

Prior to Minnesota's pro day, I was concerned about his top-end speed and overall explosiveness due to his playing tempo as an exquisite route runner. I couldn't determine if he had an extra gear to run away from defenders on vertical throws or catch-and-run concepts. Sure, he racked up a number of explosive plays as the premier receiver in the Big Ten, but it's a lot harder to separate from NFL defenders who possess track star-like speed and burst.

After clocking a 4.39-second 40-yard dash along with an impressive set of jumps (36-inch vertical and 10 feet, 3 inches on the broad jump), Bateman alleviated those concerns and put the spotlight back on his dazzling play-making ability and creative route-running skills. If he lands with a team that showcases his unique skills as an inside-outside playmaker, Bateman could outshine his classmates and emerge as one of the crown jewels at the position early in his career.

yeah do we care?  Jesus, this is crazy.
How is it crazy to be disappointed if a WR we thought was 6'2" 210 is really 6'0" 190? Size does have some impact in terms of roles players can play at the next level, comps for making projections. 

The height/weight doesn't really affect my opinion of him considering the other WRs in his tier.  His landing spot could.

I care, still think he's a premier WR, and now have Pitts ahead of him, actually. Which I didn't before. It also causes me to think about dealing a pick for a current player or last year's rookie than wait for another.

Mac Jones not worth a first-round pick; Rashod Bateman the next Justin Jefferson?

Excerpt:

RASHOD BATEMAN: The next Justin Jefferson?

The discussion around the 2021 wide receiver class has centered exclusively on the talents of Ja'Marr Chase, DeVonta Smith and Jaylen Waddle, but hardcore draft fans and fantasy footballers should keep an eye on Rashod Bateman, as an underrated pass catcher with the potential to pop immediately at the next level.

The Minnesota standout checks off all of the boxes as a No. 1 receiver with his capacity to play out wide or in the slot while displaying outstanding speed, burst and explosiveness as a crafty route runner and playmaker. The sure-handed Bateman catches everything within the strike zone while also making the spectacular catch look like a routine play. He displays A-plus hand-eye coordination and snatches balls in traffic prior to absorbing (or avoiding) big shots as he works between the hashes.

Despite measuring just 6-foot-3/8, 190 pounds at his pro day (well below his listed size of 6-2, 210 pounds in the Golden Gophers' football program), Bateman's playing style is like watching Justin Jefferson go to work on the perimeter. He utilizes every trick in the book and consistently finds a way to get open against man or zone coverage. Bateman's combination of exceptional stop-start quickness and savvy route-running techniques make him a difficult guard on the perimeter, particularly as he moves around to take advantage of favorable matchups.

Prior to Minnesota's pro day, I was concerned about his top-end speed and overall explosiveness due to his playing tempo as an exquisite route runner. I couldn't determine if he had an extra gear to run away from defenders on vertical throws or catch-and-run concepts. Sure, he racked up a number of explosive plays as the premier receiver in the Big Ten, but it's a lot harder to separate from NFL defenders who possess track star-like speed and burst.

After clocking a 4.39-second 40-yard dash along with an impressive set of jumps (36-inch vertical and 10 feet, 3 inches on the broad jump), Bateman alleviated those concerns and put the spotlight back on his dazzling play-making ability and creative route-running skills. If he lands with a team that showcases his unique skills as an inside-outside playmaker, Bateman could outshine his classmates and emerge as one of the crown jewels at the position early in his career.
If he is as sure handed as the author says then why did he drop passes?

That is inaccurate statement.

I care, still think he's a premier WR, and now have Pitts ahead of him, actually. Which I didn't before. It also causes me to think about dealing a pick for a current player or last year's rookie than wait for another.
Right. This is like Javonte's weigh in. The size is not a deal breaker by any means, but it's a bit of a bummer because they both went from size being a plus to size being fine. 

No he isn't. No sarcasm.

Bateman played in 5 games in 2020 and he dropped 5 passes.

Tyler Johnson has dropped passes too but no where near that frequency of doing so.
I don’t see anyone beating the door down for Tyler Johnson.  Hell, nobody ever talks about him.

Users who are viewing this thread