What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Rashod Bateman, BAL (3 Viewers)

Here is cut ups of Batemans plays vs Purdue.

Some of my observations. 1st of all college football is kind of weird. There were 2 plays early on where Purdue is covering him with a guy wearing 94 who looks like a LB to me. Both of these plays were runs, so it didnt matter but just odd to me seeing that. Maybe 94 is actually a safety or something? I dont know.

At the 3:25 mark you see Morgan throw a pass too high for Bateman who gets a hand on it but just pops it up in the air. I would say this is mostly on Morgan for throwing it too high, the defensive back does get a slight grab on Bateman that may have messed up his jump to high point the ball. The next play is a deep hitch route where Bateman has about a 20 yard cushion. Morgan is looking at him the whole way perhaps tipping the defender. Its off screen where Bateman makes his break to come back so I dont know what happened there, but he doesn't get enough separation and Morgan shouldnt have thrown it to him most likely as the coverage was good.

I have been watching his releases, and he has a few different ones I have seen him use in this game, but he is mostly uncontested. Defenders who are near do not interfere with him really. A couple times his footwork doesnt seem to work, but they are running plays, so maybe its intentional on his part. I will keep looking for that but I haven't seen that issue my cousin mentioned yet.

At the 5:38 mark you will see a fine pass bounce off Batemans hands. He has it but squeezes too hard? I dont know he just drops it. There is a lot of traffic around him as only 2 went out on routes so maybe he was feeling that.

At the 7 minute mark there is a great play by Bateman to come back for the ball that was underthrown. He has to go through the defender to do this. Its a really nice play and the defender should do a better job than he did. Bateman did get a good release on this play and the defender has to turn as run with him early on in the play which is why he doesnt know the ball is coming.

Predicting top 2021 rookie wide receivers using dominator rating and breakout age

Excerpt:

To get a better idea of which college receivers sustained the most production, I analyzed their full college career dominator ratings. The leader of the group was Minnesota wide receiver Rashod Bateman, who came in at No. 4 in my initial rookie wide dynasty rankings. 

Bateman broke out in his first season for the Golden Gophers at just 19 years old with 51 receptions for 704 receiving yards and six touchdowns. That earned him a 28% dominator rating — a figure that would be the lowest he put up in a single college season.

Despite playing alongside future Tampa Bay Buccaneers’ wide receiver Tyler Johnson, Bateman’s success continued into his sophomore year (2019) when he earned yet another exceptional 38% dominator rating. He and Johnson were neck and neck in terms of production (39%).

After Johnson left for the NFL, Bateman unleashed his will on the offense, earning a 48% dominator rating. That mark is the second-highest among the receivers listed above. 

Bateman is an auto-draft at the back-end of first-round rookie drafts.

Yup. He looks fast on film. So did Tee Higgins. I let everybody talk me off of Tee Higgins this year. Bateman looks like he can move. The narrative, as often as not, is wrong. But it's also hand-timed, which makes a score look good.

Yup. He looks fast on film. So did Tee Higgins. I let everybody talk me off of Tee Higgins this year. Bateman looks like he can move. The narrative, as often as not, is wrong. But it's also hand-timed, which makes a score look good.
At that link they said his laser was 4.39. Only 4 receivers were faster than that at last years combine. So, I’m not knocking him on speed. 

At that link they said his laser was 4.39. Only 4 receivers were faster than that at last years combine. So, I’m not knocking him on speed. 
Awesome. I won't say too much more, but he was higher than 1.10 for me this year, anyway. Looks like the first dominoes are starting to fall here.

You mean you pick your rookies before the nfl draft? 
No. I'm strictly talking combine-esque pre-draft stuff. The potential sinkholes (depending on personnel) of Baltimore, the New York Jets, and New England are awaiting some of these guys, admittedly. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Not over reacting to offseason workouts is a staple in my offseason prep, but especially this year.

Pro Football Network's Tony Pauline does not view Minnesota WR Rashod Bateman as being in the same tier as Alabama WR's Jaylen Waddle and Devonta Smith.

"More than anything else, I believe many overrated Bateman from the get-go," Pauline writes of the 6-foot-2, 210-pound wideout. "He was never a top-10 prospect as many predicted six-plus months ago. He’s a good prospect with terrific next-level potential — just not a top half of Round 1 guy." The analyst notes that Bateman's film for the semi-truncated 2020 campaign was slightly underwhelming. That said, Bateman figures to run very well in his pro day showing -- think high 4.3's to mid 4.4's for the 40-yard dash -- and could represent a value steal should he happen to slide out of the Round 1 fray.

SOURCE: Pro Football Network

Mar 2, 2021, 1:18 PM ET

Not really surprised by the fast recorded times for Bateman. He looks that fast in games too.

Another reason why I think the Keenan Allen comparison misses the mark in my view. 

I am sure Allen has dropped passes at some point in his career but not as much as Bateman has.

NFL analyst says he 'beginning to have a crush' on Minnesota WR Rashod Bateman

Bucky Brooks is a huge fan of former Minnesota wide receiver Rashod Bateman. He thinks the ex-Gopher has the chance to be a spectacular player at the next level.

Speaking recently with Pro Football Focus (PFF), Brooks said that he’s “beginning to have a bit of a crush” on Bateman because of the skills he brings to the field. He then compared the receiver to NFL greats like Michael Thomas and AJ Brown — favorable comps, to say the least.

“I think I’m beginning to have a bit of a crush on him,” Brooks told PFF. “When I look at him, I see flashes of Michael Thomas. I see AJ Brown. I see the classic, traditional No. 1 receiver that may not necessarily be the burner, but they get open, they catch 50/50 balls, they have enough physicality and running skills to make things happen when they get in the open field. And that is traditionally what you want from your No. 1 receiver.”

Bateman certainly demonstrated his incredible ability to do it all at the receiver position, particularly as a sophomore in 2019. He caught 60 passes for 1,219 yards and 11 touchdowns in 13 games for the Golden Gophers during an 11-2 year.

Even in Minnesota’s shortened season in 2020, Bateman tallied 36 receptions for 472 yards and a pair of touchdowns. He ended his career in the Twin Cities with 147 catches for 2,395 yards, maintaining a 16.3 yards per reception average. Bateman also hauled in 19 touchdowns catches.

Bateman is considered one of the best receivers available in this year’s NFL Draft.

Would be stoked if he lasted to ~1.08 in regular and ~1.11 in SF. Presuming he lands in a good spot. Probably my favorite non Chase WR right now.

Not really surprised by the fast recorded times for Bateman. He looks that fast in games too.

Another reason why I think the Keenan Allen comparison misses the mark in my view. 

I am sure Allen has dropped passes at some point in his career but not as much as Bateman has.
Can anyone take a shot at how he is as a route runner? I have seen these Keenan Allen comparisons a bunch and I'm not sure I get it. Allen is one of the best route runners I've ever seen. Is that the basis for the comp? Or just similar sizes or what?

Can anyone take a shot at how he is as a route runner? I have seen these Keenan Allen comparisons a bunch and I'm not sure I get it. Allen is one of the best route runners I've ever seen. Is that the basis for the comp? Or just similar sizes or what?
In my opinion which is mostly comparing him to Tyler Johnson former team mate. Bateman is not as strong at the top of his routes, not as physical as Johnson nor as reliable on the slants and crossing routes as Johnson.

The Gophers scheme is not that complex  Bateman is very fast as great on WR screens as well as the deep ball. He complimented Johnson well as those things Johnson isnt as good as Bateman because of the difference in speed 

I would say Keenan Allen more similar to Johnson in play style than Bateman.

I think Bateman has the upside to be like Isaac Bruce or something good if it all works out for him. I think he needs to work on being more physical at the top of his routes to be a complete WR like that 

Pro Day so far...

Ht 6-0 3/8

Wt 190

Hand 9 1/2

Arm 33

Wing 76 1/2

10-3 broad jump

36-inch vertical

40 - 4.39

Last edited by a moderator:
Pro Day so far...

Ht 6-0 3/8

Wt 190

After a very good freshman season (51-704-6), Bateman's average jumped from 14 to 20 yards per catch in his sophomore campaign. The 6'2 210lb junior is someone to watch in the 2020 season. 
@Andy Dufresnecan I confirm you're talking about Bateman above? I know weights and heights can fluctuate from one source to another and indeed for the person themself, but is the discrepancy really this far off?

Huh, well everything I've seen says he is (unofficially) 210 and I've seen 209. At either 6'1" or 6'2". Including this link that has the following excerpt:

"In 2018, Bateman set freshman records for the Gophers with 51 receptions for 704 yards. He took the next step in 2019. Packing on 30 pounds by swapping fried foods for greens and protein shakes, he burst onto the national scene."

“Everybody talks about Tyler (Johnson), but we’re talking about — Rashod Bateman set every Minnesota freshman record there was, and now he’s 200 pounds,” Fleck said before the 2019 season.

https://www.si.com/nfl/packers/news/nfl-draft-receivers-rashod-bateman-minnesota

So yeah that is hugely disappointing if he really is only 190. Imma let the dust settle.

Well I'm sure this is an overreaction on my part but I'm bumping him way down. I don't know what trainer told him to lose 20 pounds, or if it ever was 20 pounds in the first place, but this changes his profile a lot IMO. And not in a good way. 

Users who are viewing this thread