What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Kevin White, NO (2 Viewers)

Rotoworld:

West Virginia WR Kevin White "tested off the charts and then translated that athleticism during the positional drills at Lucas Oil Stadium, standing out with his routes and hands," wrote CBS Sports' Dane Brugler.
White was Saturday's biggest star, posting a 4.35 40-yard dash. "White also impressed during the QB-WR positional drills with quick hands and steady concentration in the gauntlet, not breaking stride or slowing to adjust to passes," Brugler wrote. "He is at his best tracking the ball over his shoulder and extending to attack the ball away from his frame, which he showed during passing drills on vertical routes downfield." The 6-foot-3, 215-pounder is likely to be a top-10 pick in April.

Source: CBS Sports
Feb 22 - 12:45 AM

EBF, why are you so high in Kevin White after the Combine when speed isn't his strength anyway? Why were you not high on him for what he's actually good at?

Rotoworld:

Kevin White - WR - Mountaineers

An NFL scout told the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel that West Virginia WR Kevin White "more of a Larry Fitzgerald-type receiver in that he doesn't have great speed."

"I never see him beat people deep," the scout said. "But if he is even with them he's going to get the ball. Very good player." The column was posted Saturday, which means there is almost no chance that this quote was made after White's 4.35 40-yard dash time. That's what makes it so interesting: Many analysts ranked White behind Amari Cooper for two reasons; inexperience and a perceived lack of speed. White can't really speak much to the "one-year wonder" nonsense, but on Saturday he dismantled the narrative that he was some kind of plodding possession receiver. "He's got another level to his game that I don't think we've seen yet," another scout said. The 6-foot-3, 215-pounder is likely to be a top-10 pick in April.

Source: Milwaukee Journal Sentinel

Feb 22 - 6:54 PM

EBF, why are you so high in Kevin White after the Combine when speed isn't his strength anyway? Why were you not high on him for what he's actually good at?
I've kept pretty quiet on the WR prospects for most of the year. I had only made a handful of posts about White before yesterday.

Here is what I said in my first post about him in early October:

EBF said:
As for White, people compare him to Larry Fitz because of his listed height and dreads. To me he doesn't look that big or strong and is more comparable to Roddy White, which would still be a good outcome. Combo WR with a good sampling of both height and speed. Also has good jump ball skills. I'm less sure of his overall route running, but in the clips I've seen he has shown good flashes of being able to break down, redirect, and instantly accelerate. First round could be in play for him, so yea he's also a name worth mentioning. Wouldn't say he's an elite Larry Fitzgerald type of prospect just yet though. I suspect when he's actually measured we'll find that he's not actually the 6'3" 210 he's listed at, but that can be hard to predict. Roddy White was 6'1 1/4" 207 at his combine. If you put Kevin White between him and Fitz, that sounds about right. Maybe 6'2" 215 or so.
I think that's a pretty accurate description of his game. I was 7/8" away from nailing his exact height/weight.

I always liked his route running/movement. I had questions about how big and fast he really was:

EBF said:
He doesn't really strike me as a "big" receiver. I think his best traits are his initial quickness and his economical route running. He loses very little momentum when cutting and can explode out of his breaks. There is no direct parallel for him in the NFL. If I was forced to make one, I would say he's a bigger, more athletic Cecil Shorts. They move and play similarly. White has more height and jump ball ability. I think he's probably a mid-late first at best and not a candidate for the top 10 because he lacks elite height and track speed, but we will have to wait and see.
If I felt he was a mid-late first back when I underestimated his height and speed, it seems natural to bump him up to a high first now that I know he's actually close to 6'3" and faster than I realized. Pair the fluid movement/route running and aggressive hands with a 6'3" frame and 4.35 speed, and it's not hard to see why I've gone from cautiously optimistic to all-in. He checks all the boxes and fits the mold of the type of WRs that I covet most highly.

I usually err on the side of caution and skepticism, but I also adjust to new information. I was intrigued by this guy from the time he was first brought to my attention. The way he looked in the drills yesterday and the numbers he posted in the testing simply gave the domino that last little push it needed to go from "maybe" to a full blown "yes."

Rotoworld:

West Virginia WR Kevin White is the best receiver in the class and has a higher ceiling than Alabama's Amari Cooper, NFL Media analyst Mike Mayock said on Saturday.

Mayock sees the receiver class similarly to the way we see it. He isn't down on Cooper, adding that the Crimson Tide prospect is "the safe choice" for teams drafting a receiver early. Cooper is Rotoworld's No. 3 ranked receiver. Josh Norris tabs Dorial Green-Beckham No. 1, followed closely by White.

Source: NFL.com

Feb 23 - 12:25 AM

Does it bother anyone else that White only lines up on the right side of the formation? Maybe a nitpick, but I don't like not being able to see him run routes from the other side.

EBF said:
I've kept pretty quiet on the WR prospects for most of the year. I had only made a handful of posts about White before yesterday.

Here is what I said in my first post about him in early October:

EBF said:
As for White, people compare him to Larry Fitz because of his listed height and dreads. To me he doesn't look that big or strong and is more comparable to Roddy White, which would still be a good outcome. Combo WR with a good sampling of both height and speed. Also has good jump ball skills. I'm less sure of his overall route running, but in the clips I've seen he has shown good flashes of being able to break down, redirect, and instantly accelerate. First round could be in play for him, so yea he's also a name worth mentioning. Wouldn't say he's an elite Larry Fitzgerald type of prospect just yet though. I suspect when he's actually measured we'll find that he's not actually the 6'3" 210 he's listed at, but that can be hard to predict. Roddy White was 6'1 1/4" 207 at his combine. If you put Kevin White between him and Fitz, that sounds about right. Maybe 6'2" 215 or so.
I think that's a pretty accurate description of his game. I was 7/8" away from nailing his exact height/weight.

I always liked his route running/movement. I had questions about how big and fast he really was:

EBF said:
He doesn't really strike me as a "big" receiver. I think his best traits are his initial quickness and his economical route running. He loses very little momentum when cutting and can explode out of his breaks. There is no direct parallel for him in the NFL. If I was forced to make one, I would say he's a bigger, more athletic Cecil Shorts. They move and play similarly. White has more height and jump ball ability. I think he's probably a mid-late first at best and not a candidate for the top 10 because he lacks elite height and track speed, but we will have to wait and see.
If I felt he was a mid-late first back when I underestimated his height and speed, it seems natural to bump him up to a high first now that I know he's actually close to 6'3" and faster than I realized. Pair the fluid movement/route running and aggressive hands with a 6'3" frame and 4.35 speed, and it's not hard to see why I've gone from cautiously optimistic to all-in. He checks all the boxes and fits the mold of the type of WRs that I covet most highly.

I usually err on the side of caution and skepticism, but I also adjust to new information. I was intrigued by this guy from the time he was first brought to my attention. The way he looked in the drills yesterday and the numbers he posted in the testing simply gave the domino that last little push it needed to go from "maybe" to a full blown "yes."
fluid route running? The real experts (those that get paid to know) say that is an area of concern and will need to develop an NFL route tree. He also struggles with separation, could be more aggressive getting out in breaks, and is a lousy blocker.

Last edited by a moderator:
I will say his stock is soaring...I was busy this weekend and did not get a chance to delve into the combine results. With that said, I follow the Jets and a fanblog (nyjetsfansonly) on Instagram, and was surprised to see last night that the blog posted about White being a possible pick for the Jets. First I heard of that for the Jets (up until Sunday they were thought of having missed out on Cooper and therefore taking someone later), but it was pretty evident from that leap that he had done good things.

Rotoworld:

West Virginia WR Kevin White "only strengthened [NFL Media's] belief that he's the best player at the position with his combine showing," wrote NFL Media analyst Charles Davis.

Entering the combine, many ranked Alabama's Amari Cooper as the No. 1 receiver, but Davis and his colleagues Mike Mayock and Daniel Jeremiah all agreed with Rotoworld and had White No. 1. "It's extremely tight when it comes to ranking the top three or four players at the receiver position this year, but White's 4.35 40 -- the best of any top-rated wide receivers and tied for third-best among all WRs -- really helped him emerge from the pack," Davis wrote.

Feb 25 - 9:55 PM

Rotoworld:

An AFC executive said this "draft class has some of the most intelligent prospects I've ever spoken with."

"Most of our interviews were great. My three favorite were probably Kevin White (WVU), Melvin Gordon (Wisconsin) and (Alex) Carter (Stanford)," the executive said. We'll focus on White, who in addition to dazzling teams and media members during interviews also dominated on the field, posting a 4.35 40-yard dash. "White played just two seasons at West Virginia, but was asked to take on more routes and responsibilities this season and was up to the challenge," wrote NFL Media draft analyst Lance Zierlein. "He was also very natural in every interview he had with media members."

Feb 25 - 8:35 PM

Rotoworld:

West Virginia WR Kevin White reminds Sports Illustrated's Doug Farrar of Randy Moss and Larry Fitzgerald.

"White's college tape ... showed over and over that while he doesn't yet run a full route tree, he's got the speed to beat defenders downfield, the vertical ability to make contested catches and should be a real threat in the NFL," Farrar wrote. "Still, some questioned White's separation ability, and whether he was a true No. 1 receiver ... or simply a guy who benefited from West Virginia's wide-open offense. One 4.35 40-yard dash later, and after he looked spectacular in the receiver drills, White showed me that he's more route-savvy and quicker in short spaces than I imagined." The analyst believes White could be a top-five pick. White is the No. 1 WR on a host of analyst's lists, including Rotoworld's Josh Norris and NFL Media analysts Charles Davis, Mike Mayock and Daniel Jeremiah.

Source: Sports Illustrated

Feb 26 - 11:21 PM

Rotoworld:

West Virginia WR Kevin White "has star potential, especially if he continues to improve," wrote ESPN's Mel Kiper.
"White is probably closer to [Amari] Cooper on most boards than he was heading into Indy," Kiper wrote. "He ran 4.35 with a 1.52 10-yard split, so there's no question about the quick-twitch explosiveness now." Sports Illustrated's Doug Farrar recently compared White to a mix of Randy Moss and Larry Fitzgerald. White is the No. 1 WR on a host of analyst's lists, including Rotoworld's Josh Norris and NFL Media analysts Charles Davis, Mike Mayock and Daniel Jeremiah.

Source: ESPN Insider
Feb 28 - 7:32 PM

Rotoworld:

NFL Media analyst Charles Davis notes that with West Virginia WR Kevin White's "size and strength," he "can break short routes Big."
"Kevin White, WR, W.Virginia-Yes, he makes a lot of big plays over the top, but with his size and strength, no doubt he can break short routes Big," Davis tweeted. The West Virginia prospect is a natural turning and getting up field after the catch. The 6-foot-3, 215-pound White isn't the easiest to bring down in the open field, and has the size and the power to make smaller defenders pay. Our own Josh Norris ranks White as his No.1 rated WR.

Source: Charles Davis on Twitter
Mar 4 - 3:13 PM

Do we know if he ran routes from both sides of the field? I know I mentioned this before and nobody bit. Still, it's a pet peeve of mine.

Do we know if he ran routes from both sides of the field? I know I mentioned this before and nobody bit. Still, it's a pet peeve of mine.
He actually looks better on the left side of the field even though he lined up primarily on the right side.

I also prefer when a guy is used to moving around to take advantage of mismatches, etc. But it hasn't seemed to hurt Evans one bit.

I also prefer when a guy is used to moving around to take advantage of mismatches, etc. But it hasn't seemed to hurt Evans one bit.
For me it's more about how he's using his steps, feet and hands when lining up on opposite sides of the field. It changes routes. It changes timing. Everyone is dominant to one leg or side. That is usually your "power" leg. When a guy lines up for the 40 the leg in front is almost always the dominant leg.

Rotoworld:

West Virginia WR Kevin White jumped to No. 4 overall on Mel Kiper's Big Board.

White previously ranked No. 9. "He just grew so much this past year -- physically, in terms of his concentration, and particularly in simply finding ways to win matchups," Kiper wrote. "While White runs fast, he sometimes doesn't look too explosive, but he is certainly quick, and will create space if you don't body him early. He has good length and can dominate defenders on contested catches. He also limited his drops this season." The 6-foot-3, 215-pound White, a possible top-5 pick, ran a 4.35 40-yard dash at the combine. White is the No. 1 WR on a host of analyst's lists, including Rotoworld's Josh Norris and NFL Media analysts Charles Davis, Mike Mayock and Daniel Jeremiah. Kiper ranks Amari Cooper as slightly better.

Source: ESPN Insider

Mar 15 - 7:12 PM

Rotoworld:

After studying West Virginia WR Kevin White's college tape, NFL Films' Greg Cosell came away believing White's game and build were "reminiscent" of Terrell Owens.
"That kind of sort of big, powerful, fast guy," observed Cosell. "White is big and explosive. I mean I think he was about 6-foot-2 1/2, 215. He's a quick-twitch explosive athlete for a kid that size. And he looks physical playing. When you see him on film, he just looks powerful and strong. And he has that explosive burst to him for a big wideout. He was very strong run after catch." Cosell suggested White might best fit in a "Don Coryell" type vertical offense. You can listen to Cosell's take on this year's wide receiver class at the link below.

Source: Ross Tucker Podcast
Mar 19 - 10:23 PM

Daniel Jeremiah and Charles Davis just ranked the 2014 and 2105 wr classes

Top 5

1. ODB

2. Sammie Watkins

3 Kevin white

4. Mike Evans

5. Stopped listening

Steed said:

Top 5

1. ODB

2. Sammie Watkins

3 Kevin white

4. Mike Evans

5. Stopped listening
I stopped listening after OBJ because I know neither guy had him 1 last year and it showed early bias towards the known results of NFL and not sticking to the grades as prospects. I love most everything DJ puts out but this was crap IMO.

Steed said:

Top 5

1. ODB

2. Sammie Watkins

3 Kevin white

4. Mike Evans

5. Stopped listening
I stopped listening after OBJ because I know neither guy had him 1 last year and it showed early bias towards the known results of NFL and not sticking to the grades as prospects. I love most everything DJ puts out but this was crap IMO.
What was the context, maybe it was for their careers going forward knowing what we know now? They did still have Watkins ahead of Evans so it wasn't a complete over-reaction from last season.

Steed said:

Top 5

1. ODB

2. Sammie Watkins

3 Kevin white

4. Mike Evans

5. Stopped listening
What was the context, maybe it was for their careers going forward knowing what we know now? They did still have Watkins ahead of Evans so it wasn't a complete over-reaction from last season.
They say it's knowing what they know now but I fail to see how that really helps us grade them as prospects.

Steed said:

Top 5

1. ODB

2. Sammie Watkins

3 Kevin white

4. Mike Evans

5. Stopped listening
They say it's knowing what they know now but I fail to see how that really helps us grade them as prospects.
It helps in relation to the 2105 class. I don't see how it doesn't. Despite what Evans accomplished last year, they still predict a better career for White. That's more useful IMO.

Steed said:

Top 5

1. ODB

2. Sammie Watkins

3 Kevin white

4. Mike Evans

5. Stopped listening
It helps in relation to the 2105 class. I don't see how it doesn't. Despite what Evans accomplished last year, they still predict a better career for White. That's more useful IMO.
You have a known data set for one group and an unknown data set for the other. It's ridiculously skewed.

Here is a thread where the issue of ranking draft classes together is discussed and attempted.

It really isn't an easy thing to do. My 2015 rookie rankings have changed somewhat since I posted my combined list there.

The most honest way to do this I think would be to have a rating for each player based on all of the variables considered for each player. This is why I like ratings for players based on discrete attributes. For example then based on the final rating score players can be compared across draft classes based on the rating.

You need to compare players and lists from the same time frame as well. For example a pre combine ranking should only be compared to another pre combine ranking. If you compare a pre combine ranking to a post combine one, you have more information on the second ranking than you would the first one and similarly for a post NFL draft ranking, you then know how high the player was drafted and to which team.

They are comparing a full season of information with a post combine ranking and the values do not correspond to each other.

Lance Zierlein does assign a grade to each rookie prospect like this-

9.00-10 Once-in-lifetime player

8.00-8.99 Perennial All-Pro
7.50-7.99 Future All-Pro
7.00-7.49 Pro Bowl-caliber player
6.50-6.99 Chance to become Pro Bowl-caliber player
6.00-6.49 Should become instant starter
5.50-5.99 Chance to become NFL starter
5.20-5.49 NFL backup or special teams potential
5.01-5.19 Better-than-average chance to make NFL roster
5.00 50-50 Chance to make NFL roster
4.75-4.99 Should be in an NFL training camp
4.50-4.74 Chance to be in an NFL training camp
So it should be possible to do an honest cross ranking based on his grades for each player. But again some attention to the time frame of when the ratings were assigned for a fair cross comparison.

This is something I would like to work towards developing myself but I am not there yet.

Steed said:

Top 5

1. ODB

2. Sammie Watkins

3 Kevin white

4. Mike Evans

5. Stopped listening
You have a known data set for one group and an unknown data set for the other. It's ridiculously skewed.
There's still an aspect of speculation either way? What good would a list with OBJ listed at 8 do? Everyone would dismiss it off the bat.

Steed said:

Top 5

1. ODB

2. Sammie Watkins

3 Kevin white

4. Mike Evans

5. Stopped listening
I stopped listening after OBJ because I know neither guy had him 1 last year and it showed early bias towards the known results of NFL and not sticking to the grades as prospects.I love most everything DJ puts out but this was crap IMO.
Isn't this what we do when attempting to rank rookies with veterans in dynasty rankings?

He should be the #1 Receiver off the board in Dynasty and the NFL.

I see a little bit of Sammy Watkins and a little bit of Larry Fitzgerald.

Rotoworld:

West Virginia's Kevin White is not a lock to be the first or second WR selected, according to NFL Media's Charles Davis.
In trying to come up with reasons why this might be possible, the only one we can come up with is the "one year wonder" label. Davis' statement stood on its own without reasoning, but it was likely a "bold prediction" type question. We guess many teams will look at White and see a receiver who has the potential to win in both the big and small receiver games. That is difficult to find.

Mar 26 - 12:18 PM

Anyone willing to take White ahead of Evans right now, is a complete idiot.

And Ive been shouting White since October.

Ludicrous if you say youd take him ahead of Evans. Wow.

Huh?

Top 5

1. ODB

2. Sammie Watkins

3 Kevin white

4. Mike Evans

5. Stopped listening
Those guys aren't talking about fantasy football, are they?

Huh?

Top 5

1. ODB

2. Sammie Watkins

3 Kevin white

4. Mike Evans

5. Stopped listening
Those guys aren't talking about fantasy football, are they?
fantasy or real, it doesn't matter one bit.

did you happen to see Evans last year? was absolutely dominant with doodoo at qb

you gonna pass on dominance for a guy yet to play an NFL snap? no. nor would any GM in football

Users who are viewing this thread