What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR JuJu Smith-Schuster, NE (2 Viewers)

JUJU SMITH-SCHUSTERWR, KANSAS CITY CHIEFS
12184.jpg

JuJu Smith-Schuster (concussion) was a full participant in Wednesday's practice.​

JuJu may still have a final hurdle or two to clear while in the concussion protocol, but a full practice to open the week is a good sign that he will be back in the lineup on Sunday. Smith-Schuster was forced to miss Week 11 after taking a brutal, helmet-to-helmet shot early in his Week 10 matchup with the Jags. Now healthy, he will project for WR2 numbers versus a Rams roster that is ready to throw in the towel on the 2022 season.

he had really settled in, weeks 6-9 (3 games bc bye) he has 345 yards and 2 TDs, and that was against the Bills niners and titans

Toney was a threat to him getting back to WR1 status like that so not a sure thing ofc but with a chance to regain his role with the young guy out I think Juju ROS WR1 goes from unlikely to ~50% conservatively

Chiefs coach Andy Reid said JuJu Smith-Schuster (concussion) will play in Week 12 against the Rams.​

JuJu took a brutal hit in Week 10 that sidelined him for the Chiefs' next game. He returned to practice this week with a full session on Wednesday, all but guaranteeing his return on Sunday. With Kadarius Toney and Mecole Hardman out this week, Smith-Schuster should see plenty of targets as Kansas City's top receiver once again. he will be a strong WR2 play versus the spiraling Rams.
SOURCE: Herbie Teope on Twitter
Nov 25, 2022, 2:13 PM ET

JuJu Smith-Schuster caught 10-of-10 targets for 88 yards in Kansas City's Week 15 win against the Texans.​

Nothing fancy here -- in a deep-safety dominated game JuJu ate over the middle of the field and didn't really go anywhere after the catch. Smith-Schuster fumbled on the sideline in the third quarter -- a fumble that was reversed from an original forward process call despite the fact that he appeared to have it on the ground -- but that was the only blemish in what was overall a nice PPR day. Smith-Schuster will be on the WR2/WR3 borderline again in Week 16 against the Seahawks.
Dec 18, 2022, 4:45 PM ET

I'm not sure yet because I've not seen the snap counts, hopefully he was able to play long enough, but if not his injury today might have cost him at least a million because one of his bonus payouts was $1m if he played more then 50% of the snaps in the AFC Championship game.

Chiefs coach Andy Reid was optimistic that JuJu Smith-Schuster (knee) and Kadarius Toney (ankle) would be able to play in Super Bowl LVII.​

"He's in the good place," Reid told reporters about Smith-Schuster. "The main thing is letting that thing calm down. We'll just see where it goes." Reid added that Toney was "close" and that Toney participated in a walkthrough this morning. It doesn't seem like there's much to worry about to this point as far as either player missing The Big Game.
RELATED:
SOURCE: Adam Teicher on Twitter
Feb 2, 2023, 1:08 PM ET

JuJu Smith-Schuster (knee) did not practice Friday.​

Andy Reid was optimistic yesterday that JuJu and Kadadarius Toney, who also did not practice, would be able to play in Super Bowl LVII. JuJu is dealing with some swelling in his knee and the team is resting him until it is under control. As long as he is able to get in some form of practice next week, there shouldn't be much concern about Smith-Schuster's status.
SOURCE: Sam McDowell on Twitter
Feb 3, 2023, 1:48 PM ET

JuJu Smith-Schuster (knee) was a full participant in Wednesday's practice.​

Smith-Schuster was one of three receivers held out of practice all last week, but he was a full participant to start Super Bowl week. Carrying a questionable tag heading into Sunday's game, there's little reason to doubt him being active for the Super Bowl. Barring any setbacks, JuJu should be ready to serve as the team's WR1 against the Eagles.
Feb 8, 2023, 7:59 PM ET

JuJu Smith-Schuster caught 7-of-9 targets for 53 yards in the Chiefs' Super Bowl LVII victory over the Eagles.​

Signed to a one-year deal in free agency, 26-year-old Smith-Schuster was the Chiefs’ No. 1 wideout both on paper and in practice, but it was a role he proved miscast for. Although Smith-Schuster’s 12.0 yards per catch were an astonishing 3.4 more than he averaged over his final two years in Pittsburgh, he continued to look more like a No. 2 or even No. 3 without Antonio Brown to free up the kind of space he did during Smith-Schuster’s 2018 career year. Smith-Schuster just isn’t that explosive, while he has an increasingly-lengthy injury history after missing time with a concussion. There’s a strong chance he ends up back in Kansas City due to the Chiefs’ lack of receiver depth, but it’s not a guarantee if the Chiefs decide to think bigger at wideout in year two without Tyreek Hill.
Feb 12, 2023, 10:34 PM ET

Terrible. No class. NFL is supposed to be a brotherhood, right? You don’t kick a player while he is down without provocation. This really worth the views/likes? AJ brown went back at him and deservedly so.
I thought it was pretty funny.
it was funny, the saying “lighten up Francis” comes to mind

Terrible. No class. NFL is supposed to be a brotherhood, right? You don’t kick a player while he is down without provocation. This really worth the views/likes? AJ brown went back at him and deservedly so.
I thought it was pretty funny.
it was funny, the saying “lighten up Francis” comes to mind
Yup no big deal. Not exactly something I would do but I’m not wired to troll others.

ESPN's Jeremy Fowler reports the Chiefs will "attempt to re-sign receiver JuJu Smith-Schuster."​

He noted that JuJu's next contract will cost the Chiefs. He originally joined Kansas City on an affordable, one-year deal. JuJu will likely earn a multi-year deal on the open market this time around. In his first season with the Chiefs, JuJu ranked 36th out of 102 qualified receivers in yards per route run. He went for 933 yards, second-most on the Chiefs. Smith-Schuster isn't the electric playmaker he was in Pittsburgh many years ago, but he is a reliable slot option for a Kansas City roster still looking for answers at receiver.
SOURCE: ESPN
Mar 5, 2023, 11:36 AM ET

The Boston Herald's Andrew Callahan reports the Patriots have "serious interest" in JuJu Smith-Schuster.

The Pats just lost Jakobi Meyers in free agency to the Raiders and are looking for a replacement. Smith-Schuster would be a natural fit for Meyers' role as a big slot receiver who can also take reps on the outside. JuJu went for 933 yards on 78 catches in the regular season last year. Many were expecting him to re-sign with the Chiefs, but after consecutive seasons on one-year contracts, JuJu is likely eying a multi-year deal for a better payday.
RELATED:

SOURCE: Andrew Callahan on Twitter
Mar 15, 2023 at 1:10 PM ET

signed w Pats

Patriots signed WR JuJu Smith-Schuster, formerly of the Chiefs, to a three-year, $33 million contract.

This move was hinted at earlier in the day but is now on the record. The Pats lost Jakobi Meyers to a nearly identical contract from the Raiders earlier this week. Smith-Schuster will be a natural replacement for Meyers, who soaked up targets over the middle of the field and played both slot and outside receiver. Coming off a 933-yard season with the Chiefs, JuJu was bound to get some suitors on the open market. Like New England before them, Kansas City is now in need of a replacement for its outgoing receiving class.
RELATED:
SOURCE: Jordan Schultz on Twitter
Mar 15, 2023 at 3:03 PM ET

2018 looks to be an outlier, not a breakout.
This one is not that big a mystery. JuJu had an insane amount of targets that season. In the past 10 years, there were 32 WR that had at least 160 targets in a season. 7 ended the year as the #1 fantasy WR, 26 finished in the Top 5, and 30 ended in the Top 10. The two outliers were WR11 and WR17. JJSS had 166 targets and ended the season as WR8. Any WR that sees 10+ targets a game is going to cook for fantasy purposes. IMO, JuJu is unlikely to see that level of targets in NE, so people should temper enthusiasm on his outlook in NE (not that many people are thinking he is going to do gangbusters).

I like this for Ju-Ju's value. Pats could be a good spot for him to mature.
I sold juju when he went to the chiefs. I view this as a big downgrade going to the Patriots
His targets may go up - depending on what else they’ll do, but sure in a lesser offense. I do think because of the target bump, this could actually be a slight upgrade or at worst a lateral move for fantasy value.

His targets may go up - depending on what else they’ll do, but sure in a lesser offense. I do think because of the target bump, this could actually be a slight upgrade or at worst a lateral move for fantasy value.
The last 4 seasons, JuJu has averaged 6.7 targets/gm. Meyers averaged 6.8 targets/gm last season. First blush, I am not sensing that JJSS is going to be a target monster, If NE adds a real WR1, I would be even less convinced that the Pats will feed JuJu the ball.

The last 4 seasons, JuJu has averaged 6.7 targets/gm. Meyers averaged 6.8 targets/gm last season. First blush, I am not sensing that JJSS is going to be a target monster, If NE adds a real WR1, I would be even less convinced that the Pats will feed JuJu the ball.
I didn’t say “target monster” and I agree with most of your post. Where I would differ is that he had more competition for targets in Kansas City than hell have in New England. I wouldn’t say he’s better or worse than Meyers but in theory the offense could get better depending on Jones. I’m not a big fan of his but can’t count him out either.
Anyway he wasn’t super valuable last season, just solid, so it’s not like he’s going to be some valuable fantasy asset even if his production jumped a bit.

I didn’t say “target monster” and I agree with most of your post. Where I would differ is that he had more competition for targets in Kansas City than hell have in New England. I wouldn’t say he’s better or worse than Meyers but in theory the offense could get better depending on Jones. I’m not a big fan of his but can’t count him out either.
Anyway he wasn’t super valuable last season, just solid, so it’s not like he’s going to be some valuable fantasy asset even if his production jumped a bit.
Certainly Juju is not worth the time to debate very much. Also worth factoring is KC had 111 more attempts than NE did last year (and certainly Jones is not in the same class as Mahomes). IMO, JJSS was a fantasy WR3 . . . and will likely remain as a fantasy WR3 (if he can stay healthy).

I sold juju when he went to the chiefs. I view this as a big downgrade going to the Patriots
Production could be similar, but the perception will be value loss.

Production could be similar, but the perception will be value loss.
Could be a good time to buy him? I coiuld see him having a long career as a steady receiving option.

NFL Network's Mike Giardi reports JuJu Smith-Schuster is still dealing with a knee injury he suffered in 2022.

Smith-Schuster did not participate in New England's mandatory minicamp this week. Giardi said Smith-Schuster "had to be managed" throughout the second half of the 2022 season as he struggled with a lingering knee issue -- one of many injuries JuJu has sustained during his six-year NFL career. "That he is still dealing with physical ailments in June is concerning, especially as you take a deeper look at his injury history," Giardi said. "Remember, he spoke on how challenging this playbook is to learn." JuJu would figure to operate as the Patriots' No. 1 wideout when healthy, unless the team signs DeAndre Hopkins in the coming weeks. His knee issue will be worth monitoring this summer.
SOURCE: Mike Giardi on Twitter
Jun 14, 2023 at 9:35 AM ET

He's really hard to get excited about.
He got 933 and 3 with Mahommes. Now he's catching passes from Mac Jones. He'll be a fine boring option as your WR4, but there's guys with better upside. He's not a guy I'm looking to leave any draft with.

He got 933 and 3 with Mahommes. Now he's catching passes from Mac Jones. He'll be a fine boring option as your WR4, but there's guys with better upside. He's not a guy I'm looking to leave any draft with.

With Mahomes, Kelce is the obvious first option in an offense where they really spread the ball around. He had decent years (and one elite year) in PIT as the #1 option so there is precedence for optimism. Definitely a WR4, but there is more upside than most think.

With Mahomes, Kelce is the obvious first option in an offense where they really spread the ball around. He had decent years (and one elite year) in PIT as the #1 option so there is precedence for optimism. Definitely a WR4, but there is more upside than most think.
IMO, JJSS ramp up upside is what Jakobi Meyers did in NE (which was WR29 and WR43 the season before). The reason I say ramp up is that he has no experience in the NE system, prior to today had never caught a pass thrown by Mac Jones, and I don't expect him to be utilized differently than Meyers was. However, given that he hasn't even been able to practice because he has been recovering from injury, that ramp up time could be a month or two into the season.

I think NE will figure out that Bourne is their best receiving option, Parker is still good with contested catches, and Thornton is the speed guy that will either have designed plays to get him open in space or deeper routes to go over the top. That leaves short dump offs for JJSS (just like what Meyers). I don't see JuJu getting anywhere near the 10+ targets a game he got that one season in PIT. Probably more like 6.5 or 7. Basically, IMO, his ADP of WR46 is pretty close to where I think he might end up if he gets the offensive strategy, gets worked into the offense, and stays healthy.

Users who are viewing this thread