What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Josh Palmer, LAC (1 Viewer)

Josh Palmer caught 3-of-4 targets for 75 yards and a touchdown in Saturday's preseason game against the Cowboys.​

With Keenan Allen and Mike Williams resting, Palmer started alongside Jalen Guyton. While Guyton was limited to 1/16, Palmer made a ridiculous catch in traffic before adding a rugged 18-yard touchdown catch-and-run on a screen. The clear-cut favorite to serve as the Bolts' No. 3 wideout, Palmer comes with plenty of late-round appeal in this explosive offense.
Aug 20, 2022, 11:57 PM ET

NFL Insider Jordan Schultz reports that Chargers WR Josh Palmer is in line for an expanded role with more targets.​

Schultz talked to a team source who told him: "He’s got the complete route-tree and he’s hyper-competitive attacking balls. Major worker: One of the best players in camp." Palmer's ADP has been spiking as it hits late draft season, and this is just more praise and more good news following a big preseason outing. Assuming he's able to shake concussion protocol normally, he should be a source of fantasy production this year.
SOURCE: Jordan Schultz on Twitter
Aug 23, 2022, 5:06 PM ET

Palmer's having a good preseason for the Chargers. So is another WR named MIchael Bandy. So much so the fans are hoping the Chargers go with 6 receivers and go thinner at some other spot (say not keeping 3 QBs on the roster for instance). Bandy's been doing a sort of Wes Welker, Danny Amendola act this preseason. I don't know that he's worth using any FF draft picks on, but someone folks might want to be aware of if he makes the roster and injuries or performance allows him opportunities in the regular season.

Bandy's been doing a sort of Wes Welker, Danny Amendola act this preseason.
Wes Welker had a good training camp with the Chargers but didn't make the final roster. Bandy may not, either.
Yep. It's probably the most interesting roster decision they'll have when they do the final cut down. Bandy's done enough in preseason to probably get claimed if the Chargers try to sneak him through to the practice squad. I think that's what happened with Welker too, right - the Dolphins picked him up?

For startups, Keenan is a possible cap cut next year.
And in redraft Keenan is certainly an injury risk at his ripe old age. An old man could break a hip. I’m just sayin.
I think Keenan could be an outlier that produces at a high level for a few more years. Assuming the Chargers keep him around.
He could be.

Or he could fall off of a cliff (figuratively) or get osteoporosis or some other old man disease.

For startups, Keenan is a possible cap cut next year.
And in redraft Keenan is certainly an injury risk at his ripe old age. An old man could break a hip. I’m just sayin.
I think Keenan could be an outlier that produces at a high level for a few more years. Assuming the Chargers keep him around.
He could be.

Or he could fall off of a cliff (figuratively) or get osteoporosis or some other old man disease.
He could get hit by a falling poodle at terminal velocity while walking down the sidewalk.

He could get hit by a falling poodle at terminal velocity while walking down the sidewalk.
A bit less likely than a 30 y/o sustaining a football injury, but yes there is a greater than zero chance of that happening.

Interestingly, it probably wouldn’t even have to be terminal velocity. If a standard poodle, you’re talking about a 40-60 lb dog. Even a fat miniature could be 20. A 20 lb weight hitting you in the head from even 5’ could be deadly.

But I digress.

Last edited:
Barring an injury to either Allen or Williams, how often is Josh Palmer anything more than a bye week flex? What kind of numbers are we projecting for Palmer in the WR3 role?

Barring an injury to either Allen or Williams, how often is Josh Palmer anything more than a bye week flex? What kind of numbers are we projecting for Palmer in the WR3 role?

Reasons for possible improvement:
  • He had 49/33/353/4 last season, but 28/18/185/3 of that production came in the final 5 games.
  • Obviously, he was a rookie last season and should benefit from having a year of experience and full offseason going into this season.
  • He has looked very good in training camp and preseason and seemingly has moved up from WR4 to WR3, moving ahead of Guyton.
However, there are some other things that could limit those improvements:
  • The Chargers averaged 39.6 passing attempts per game last season, which was 3rd highest in the league. They should be pass heavy again this season, but it is at least possible they will have fewer passing attempts, especially since it appears their defense should be quite a bit better.
  • Last season, the Chargers WR5 was Jason Moore, who ran 31 routes on the season and had a total of 4 targets. The Chargers signed DeAndre Carter this offseason to handle kick/punt returns. He had 44 targets in Washington last season and has been sensational on offense throughout training camp. So it seems very likely he will have a bigger role than Moore did last season.
I certainly think if Allen and/or Williams (or to a lesser degree Guyton) miss games, Palmer would be a strong fantasy play in those games. But other than that situation, I doubt he will hold useful fantasy value this season. I assume he will have a few nice games, but good luck predicting them other than in an injury situation.

Watch the tape. He makes clutch and big boy plays. Big dude with speed
I agree, he helped carry me to a champ last year. I love the way Lombardi uses him too But he also disappears for long stretches, particularly when he isn't involved early in games, which leads to a highly inconsistent target share. He had 6 TDs in games 1-5 last year and 3 from weeks 7-12 with very few high yardage or catch count games. And he has injury concerns on par with RBs not WRs. I wouldn't be as concerned with the last bit if he didn't have known back problems, which concern me far more than lower leg issues, which he has also had.

I'm a fan but don't consider him a lock to prevent fantasy relevance for Palmer.

He could be the top performing WR3 in the league in his role that offense. Also the two guys ahead of him seem to get hurt a lot. Parham is the other cheap player that I like for the Chargers.

Anyone seen any trades with this guy?

i can report LACK of trades. I roster Palmer in 3 of 3 dynasty leagues (All short roster, FFPC style leagues. Keep 14-ish) and I have no interest in trading him since I believe people will want to spend a very late 2nd at best, and I don’t want to give away the upside i see in him in that offense at his age. A perfect 5/6th WR in dynasty imo.

WIsh I took him over Cousins in my redraft lol. It’s going to burn a hole on the roster spot for a bit, but 60-800-7 isn’t bad for standalone what the heck flex type of game value.

The Athletic's Daniel Popper doesn't see Chargers WR Josh Palmer "getting to 75-plus targets this season."​

"Unless there's an injury" was the caveat. "It's not an ability issue ... it comes down to opportunity," Popper continued. Palmer has seen a rising ADP heading up to the last week of drafts, but this is a bit of a bucket of cold water on the idea that he's got major upside. Of course, there very well could be injuries. Palmer had 49 targets last season while essentially splitting playing time with Jalen Guyton -- Guyton outsnapped him 613 to 458. 75 might be a fair over/under if Palmer played the majority of those snaps.

There's only 1 football in Herbert's hands at a time, It would be hard for Palmer to get volume targets with Ekeler, Allen, Williams, and 2 TE's in the mix. I assume it's common knowledge he will be anything more than a flex barring injury.

Palmer had 49 targets last season while essentially splitting playing time with Jalen Guyton -- Guyton outsnapped him 613 to 458. 75 might be a fair over/under if Palmer played the majority of those snaps.

Guyton is the primary deep speed WR on the roster. None of Allen, Williams, or Palmer really threaten opposing defenses with their speed, which should ensure that Guyton gets snaps. I certainly think Palmer's snaps will likely increase, just saying that the amount of increase will likely be limited barring injuries to Allen, Williams, and/or Guyton.

It is also worth noting that the Chargers WR5 last season got a total of 4 targets. This season, they signed DeAndre Carter to be their kick returner, but he also had a decent role with the Commanders last season (44 targets, 10 carries). He had a sensational training camp, so I think his role will be larger than the WR5 last season.

There's only 1 football in Herbert's hands at a time, It would be hard for Palmer to get volume targets with Ekeler, Allen, Williams, and 2 TE's in the mix. I assume it's common knowledge he will be anything more than a flex barring injury.

Agree with this. The Chargers have 5 WRs, 1 RB, and 2 TEs who will be the primary target group. Palmer is probably around the middle of the pack in that pecking order for targets.

Best case, he is #4, but likely far behind the leaders. For example, last season, it was WR Allen 157, WR Williams 129, RB Ekeler 94, TE Cook 83, WR Palmer 49, WR Guyton 48, TE Parham 27. Cook is gone, and Everett may not get as many targets as he did, but Parham and WR5 Carter will almost certainly get more than last season.

Also, the Chargers defense should be quite a bit better than last season, so it is very possible the Chargers will pass less often (#3 in attempts last season), which could reduce total production divided among these players.

So I agree with Popper that 75+ seems unlikely, barring injuries ahead of him.

On a win now team, I acquired him with Tyreek and Kirk for Pittman. I love his talent, his QB and that the two WRs ahead of him are getting older and tend to get banged up. I also own Williams so Palmer is a handcuff of sorts for him.
Same here. I selected Palmer at 14.13 in a 14 team league, last round, as insurance for Williams. Plus, Palmer ended the 2022 season trending up, along with Guyton, while Allen was trending down.

It is also worth noting that the Chargers WR5 last season got a total of 4 targets. This season, they signed DeAndre Carter to be their kick returner, but he also had a decent role with the Commanders last season (44 targets, 10 carries). He had a sensational training camp, so I think his role will be larger than the WR5 last season.
I wouldn't be all that surprised if Carter becomes the primary speedster as WR4 and Guyton slips to WR5.

The Athletic's Daniel Popper doesn't see Chargers WR Josh Palmer "getting to 75-plus targets this season."​

"Unless there's an injury" was the caveat. "It's not an ability issue ... it comes down to opportunity," Popper continued. Palmer has seen a rising ADP heading up to the last week of drafts, but this is a bit of a bucket of cold water on the idea that he's got major upside. Of course, there very well could be injuries. Palmer had 49 targets last season while essentially splitting playing time with Jalen Guyton -- Guyton outsnapped him 613 to 458. 75 might be a fair over/under if Palmer played the majority of those snaps.
SOURCE: The Athletic
Sep 4, 2022, 5:37 PM ET

Josh Palmer caught 3-of-4 targets for five yards in the Chargers' Week 1 win over the Raiders.

Woof. Palmer's four targets tied six other Chargers for the team lead, but Palmer produced the least, as Mike Williams' 2-10 line narrowly bested Palmer. Despite Keenan Allen (hamstring) exiting in the second quarter, it was DeAndre Carter who became Justin Herbert's go-to guy immediately following the injury. Carter turned his four looks into 3-64-1. Palmer will be in the WR3/4 mix Thursday night against the Chiefs if Allen sits that one out.

- NBCSportsEDGE

Strange we don’t have any chatter going on here on Palmer, and he’s also super low on consensus rankings (could be that he will be upgraded with Allen officially ruled out). He’s got talent and did decently when Allen and Mike missed time. Deciding between him, Dotson, and Toney (just can’t quit him - i think he blows up this week).

Strange we don’t have any chatter going on here on Palmer, and he’s also super low on consensus rankings (could be that he will be upgraded with Allen officially ruled out). He’s got talent and did decently when Allen and Mike missed time. Deciding between him, Dotson, and Toney (just can’t quit him - i think he blows up this week).
It was a very poor game on Sunday. Herbert had no problem throwing to ancillary pieces. I’m worried about starting him as I’m not sure what his snap share and route participation was.

It was a very poor game on Sunday. Herbert had no problem throwing to ancillary pieces. I’m worried about starting him as I’m not sure what his snap share and route participation was.

Los Angeles Chargers

Also Winning Using A Lot of Pieces​

Austin Ekeler 49%; Joshua Kelley 27%; Sony Michel 24%; Mike Williams 93%; Josh Palmer 75%; DeAndre Carter 37%; Keenan Allen 33%; Gerald Everett – 66%; Tre’ McKitty 60%

Advanced stats here

https://www.playerprofiler.com/nfl/josh-palmer/

Feel Josh Palmer is going to blow up tonight in a big shootout. Week 1 dumpster stat line def killed him, but IMO Deandre Carter is NOT that guy to be a #2.

I am on board, starting him with confidence. 🚂

Then again I do have Keenan Allen, Tee Higgins and possibly Micheal Pittman out. Tough week 1.

Herbert to Palmer is 0-3 so far with 7:30 left in the half, and it really looks like Palmer misread the defense and where he should be on at least one of them (down sideline after Herbert rolled out) and maybe another (Palmer ended up tipping it).

What a bail out TD that was. Will never see my lineup again and will probably be cut - but served his purpose. Thank you sir

Josh Palmer caught 4-of-8 targets for 30 yards and a touchdown in the Chargers' Week 2 loss to the Chiefs.​

Palmer also drew an eight-yard DPI call. It was a mostly uninspiring night if you were backed into — or hyped into — starting Palmer was a WR3/4 in Keenan Allen's (hamstring) absence, but he made it all worth it when he scored a seven-yard touchdown with 1:11 remaining. Before that, Palmer and Justin Herbert did not seem to be on the same page, miscommunicating twice. Palmer's score came as Herbert gutted through a rib injury. Herbert's health looms large for Week 3 vs. Jacksonville, but coach Brandon Staley indicated afterward he expected Herbert to play. The bigger question for Palmer is Allen, who is tentatively expected back following his one-game absence.
Sep 15, 2022, 11:56 PM ET

What a bail out TD that was. Will never see my lineup again and will probably be cut - but served his purpose. Thank you sir
Palmer is good. He had 3 TDs in 3 starts last year and came on strong at the end of the year. He might be the eventual replacement for Keenan Allen. But Herbert spreads the ball around, last year Guyton also was productive. This year Carter is in on the action.

Users who are viewing this thread