What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Jordan Addison, MIN (1 Viewer)

Long possessions by Carolina. Defensive touchdown. Very few pass attempts with JJ dominating the few they had - write it off and Ill buy low if someone gets frustrated

Addison played on 58% of the offensive snaps and only had 1 target near the end zone where he was interfered with setting up 1st and goal for the Vikings.

With a renewed focus on the running the ball the last 2 games which helps set up play action that Cousins has always benefitted from it seems they prefer Osborn for his blocking ability.

Pick 6 by Cousins he was targeting Osborn and it was just a poor decision on his part as the defender jumped in front of the pass and raced down the sideline. Not Osbons fault this time.

Bounces back with strong showing

October 8, 2023

Addison caught six of nine targets for 64 yards and a touchdown in Sunday's 27-20 loss to Kansas City.

ANALYSIS

After failing to catch a pass last week against the Panthers, Addison bounced back and led the Vikings in receptions and yardage while grabbing his third TD in five NFL games on a five-yard toss from Kirk Cousins late in the second quarter. The rookie wideout emerged as Cousins' most reliable option in the fourth quarter while Justin Jefferson was sidelined with a hamstring injury, and if Jefferson isn't ready to return in Week 6 against the Bears, Addison could be in line for a big performance.

arrow pointing up again

heard he missed a blocking assignment early in the Carolina game last week and ended up playing a season low 28 snaps.

6-64-1 on 9 targets

KJ Osborn has outsnapped him every week but still hasn't topped 49 yards - Addison has at least 52 yards in the 4 games he caught a pass.

October 8, 2023

Addison caught six of nine targets for 64 yards and a touchdown in Sunday's 27-20 loss to Kansas City.

ANALYSIS
After failing to catch a pass last week against the Panthers, Addison bounced back and led the Vikings in receptions and yardage while grabbing his third TD in five NFL games on a five-yard toss from Kirk Cousins late in the second quarter. The rookie wideout emerged as Cousins' most reliable option in the fourth quarter while Justin Jefferson was sidelined with a hamstring injury, and if Jefferson isn't ready to return in Week 6 against the Bears, Addison could be in line for a big performance.

arrow pointing up again

heard he missed a blocking assignment early in the Carolina game last week and ended up playing a season low 28 snaps.

6-64-1 on 9 targets

KJ Osborn has outsnapped him every week but still hasn't topped 49 yards - Addison has at least 52 yards in the 4 games he caught a pass.
If JJets is forced to miss time I am looking forward to getting Addison into my linep and seeing what he can do with a full workload.

October 8, 2023

ANALYSIS

arrow pointing up again

6-64-1 on 9 targets

If JJets is forced to miss time I am looking forward to getting Addison into my linep and seeing what he can do with a full workload.
Agreed. However, even if JJ doesn't sit I think everybody in the world can see how much better Addison is than Osborn. Osborn is absolute trash. Some rookies come right out of the gate, but others have coaches who try to do a more old school approach and prefer the veteran until it's just so painfully obvious who the better player is - I think that's what we have here. He get's wide open constantly.

I'll say Addison is top 20 WR ROS, and I think he could be even better than that if he sees 8-10 targets/game.

You think Addison steps up now with JJ out? I'm trying to acquire him with some trades...
It was a small sample after JJ went out, but he seemed comfortable in his role. Caught the short passes, worked over the middle well, and was quick in his cuts.

But JJ can't be replaced, so the overall pie is going to shrink considerably. He may not see much of a bump over his current numbers.

This really hurts Cousins in fantasy. (DUH)

I was surprised to hear Osborn is expected to take over the JJ X WR spot in the offense. I would have thought they keep Osborn where he was and have Addison take over the X role. With that said, I expect Hock to benefit the most with Addi a close 2nd. I'm expecting about a 15 PPR point increase between the two for my team that has both Hock and Addi.

I was surprised to hear Osborn is expected to take over the JJ X WR spot in the offense. I would have thought they keep Osborn where he was and have Addison take over the X role. With that said, I expect Hock to benefit the most with Addi a close 2nd. I'm expecting about a 15 PPR point increase between the two for my team that has both Hock and Addi.
That's just one person's interpretation over at Rotoworld, it may not necessarily play out that way. I think Hockenson stands to get the biggest bump but I'd favor Addison over Osborn here among the wideouts.

Couldn't care less where Osborn lines up. If anyone has watched Vikings football this year, Osborn really sucks. Eyes tell you that, and all the advanced metrics tell you that. Addison is a separator, and a technician with his routes. We are going to see some really big boom weeks out of Addison when they play teams that run a lot of zone and don't press as much. His only struggle this year has been against aggressive press man so I think that's something to watch for - against lesser secondary's and ones who run a lot of zone - this guy is hitting 20 PPR points barring something weird going on.

I am not sure what your source for this information is, but it makes sense logically that Osborn will play on the LOS as the X or split end because right now he is the better blocker and more experienced WR.

Addison as the Z or Flanker will be able to play off the LOS and get more free releases because of that.

This certainly does not mean Osborn gets similar targets as Jefferson was from playing the same position. Somewhat the opposite actually as the scheme will favor Addison more often in the Flanker role.

The reason Jefferson gets targeted so much is because of how good he is and the reason Jefferson plays the X (although he moves to the slot a ton as well) is because he is the best at beating press coverage as well.

Jordan Addison (ankle) practiced on Thursday.

Addison was listed as a limited participant in Wednesday’s practice and will likely be listed as limited again on Thursday. With Justin Jefferson (hamstring) on IR, Addison has a chance to step into a significant role in Week 6 against the Bears. Through five games, Addison has caught 19 passes for 249 yards and three touchdowns while averaging 12.4 fantasy points per game. Fantasy managers should treat him as a high-upside WR2 this weekend.

So stat-wise, not fantastic though he did score. Looks like Hockenson and Osborn got more targets though. Anyone think he'll be reliable while JJ is out or is the whole offense just going to take a step back without JJ?

So stat-wise, not fantastic though he did score. Looks like Hockenson and Osborn got more targets though. Anyone think he'll be reliable while JJ is out or is the whole offense just going to take a step back without JJ?
Bad matchups coming up but not always bad for fantasy, think he will just take some time to grow into things and he's giving you a production floor while he is

Do y’all think there’s any chance of hitting the rookie wall? With all the targets while Jefferson is out I wonder if he’ll fade down the fantasy playoffs?

Do y’all think there’s any chance of hitting the rookie wall? With all the targets while Jefferson is out I wonder if he’ll fade down the fantasy playoffs?
If anything I think rookies do better later on in their first season than early most of the time.

I have heard people talk about the rookie wall which is based on the idea of the college season being fewer games than the pro season, which makes some sense I guess but I am not sure this is actually a thing that happens.

If anything I think rookies do better later on in their first season than early most of the time.

I have heard people talk about the rookie wall which is based on the idea of the college season being fewer games than the pro season, which makes some sense I guess but I am not sure this is actually a thing that happens.
I think it definitely does, but, I think thats from day 1 starters, in more physical positions. Addison split time so hopefully he's little fresher. Would guess his cramping though was due to lack of work actually, Monday night was probably his first true starter starter's load.

I think it definitely does, but, I think thats from day 1 starters, in more physical positions. Addison split time so hopefully he's little fresher. Would guess his cramping though was due to lack of work actually, Monday night was probably his first true starter starter's load.
I did a bit of reading about it and many NFL players and coaches say it's a real thing. This has to do with nutrition and recovery from training not being as much a part of the players routine in their first seasons. Most have to learn how to eat better and to do things at the training facility to help them recover more between games than they had to do in college.

That all makes sense. It's a long grind getting ready for the combine, training camp and at least 4 more games, so another month more added to their season.

That said statistically there are more signs of rookie players being productive at the end of their rookie seasons than at the beginning of them. So that runs counter to this rookie wall idea and as FF managers it's the stats we care about in regards to this more than the players personal struggle adapting to the NFL.

I dunno. I well remember OBJ carrying me to the championship in 2014 and going nuclear down the stretch. Amon-Ra did the same thing 2 years ago. Like Addison, they were not heavily used early.

Plus when JJ gets back they can ease the workload again.

it happens, but in his case I wouldnt worry about it. we are just finished week 7 and this is the first significant action he has seen.
so if he gets a full workload he will only have 11 weeks of high usage by the time the season ends. assuming his team makes the playoffs, there is a slight risk of this happening in the playoffs but I'd say that risk is rather low.

Anyone selling high before this Sunday?
I don't know if selling high is really going to happen now without Cousins there. I can't see anyone giving up a lot knowing the offense is about to change.
Change to what? they still can’t run the ball
And now they can't pass.
.. as well.

I do think the offense is going to change somewhat as the 2 QBs the Vikings have now may have some designed runs.

KOC is going to need to adapt the playback focusing on what Hall does well right now, and then Dobbs if/when he becomes the starter.

Thinking of dropping this guy for a second D for the ROS. Would this be crazy? Does he have much upside anymore with Jefferson coming back and Dobbs coming back to earth? I always hate dropping usable RBs/WRs, but the additional D will likely be helpful in the playoffs (I'm already in).

Thinking of dropping this guy for a second D for the ROS. Would this be crazy? Does he have much upside anymore with Jefferson coming back and Dobbs coming back to earth? I always hate dropping usable RBs/WRs, but the additional D will likely be helpful in the playoffs (I'm already in).
I wouldn't.

I made a post about this, I think in the Jefferson thread where I guesstimated that Addison might lose 2 targets per game with Jefferson back under the assumption that Dobbs would be the QB.

This actually had a bit more to do with how much Dobbs targets players from the TE position more than Jeffersons return.

If the Vikings switch to Mullens or Hall as the QB instead of Dobbs, then this may not be the case.

Yes Hockenson will still get a lot of targets no matter who the QB is, but Dobbs really throws to TE a lot, so it might not be as much with a different QB.

I think Jefferson being back helps draw coverage away from Addison, so while he may get fewer targets, he might do more with the targets he does get.

Up to you and roster and so on as far as that decision, but I don't think Addison is going to be useless.

All Vikings receivers took a hit when they lost Cousins though. Addison hasn't scored a TD since Cousins got hurt yet.

NFL Network’s Ian Rapoport reports Jordan Addison’s ankle injury is not considered to be major.

specifically said Addison’s injury is similar to that of Trevor Lawrence. He had just wrapped up reporting that Lawrence’s shoulder issue is not considered major and shouldn’t prevent him from playing in Week 17. Rapport also noted that Vikings head coach Kevin Stefanski told reporters after the game that Addison was among the many players on the Vikings who got hurt in Week 16 but will attempt to play through their injuries in Week 17. If he goes, Addison will rank as a WR3 against the Panthers. If he can’t suit up, K.J. Osborn will play an elevated role for the final week of the fantasy season.

Losing Cousins hurts his value. Is Sam Howell available?
Yeah people worrying way more about JJ on the boards, where I feel like Addison and Hock are the ones who are really gonna be crushed by losing Kirk. JJ will at least still get fed and likely keep a solid floor; Addison isn't just losing premiere touches, but also development as a young player. Gotta hope Vikes draft a QB at 11 who learns fast. Real fast.

Yeah people worrying way more about JJ on the boards, where I feel like Addison and Hock are the ones who are really gonna be crushed by losing Kirk. JJ will at least still get fed and likely keep a solid floor; Addison isn't just losing premiere touches, but also development as a young player. Gotta hope Vikes draft a QB at 11 who learns fast. Real fast.
I hear they are pursuing Darnold. He won't help their value either.

I am not sure Darnold is a viable Passer to keep Addison in Fantasy relevance for 2024

Addison will be fine...he played a majority of the season without Cousins anyway...
I mean.... if Darnold is this years Baker I could see it. I just don't think Darnold will be that. I still think best hope is they take a QB at 11, let him sit for a year behind Darnold. Maybe get him some work in the end of the year when they are toast, and come out swinging in 2025.

Users who are viewing this thread