What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Jahan Dotson, WAS (1 Viewer)

I've really come around on the kid.  I think he's going to be a fantasy contributor, consistent WR2 occasionally flirting with the WR1 line.  I think he's somewhat underrated/undervalued falling into the 2nd round of rookie drafts.  

He's fast enough.  Ran a 4.43.  

Runs great routes.  

Combine the 2--and you get huge separation.  When I watch some people's highlights--I see the crazy contested catches, the huge run after the catch and broken tackles.  And that's awesome in it's own right.  Dotson certainly has some of that.  But what sticks out when I watch Dotson's tape--I think my god he's wide open a lot.  And it's not "blew by a slower DB and" caught it behind him.  He's consistently finding gaps in coverage.  Huge gaps.  And he's doing it against the Big 10.  He's doing it against Ohio State and Michigan.  He's doing it vs Iowa.  He did it against Auburn in the SEC.  

That always sticks out to me.  I'm very much not skilled at breaking down tape.  But when I see a guy consistently creating HUGE separation via route running that runs in the 4.4 range--I think that guy can get open in the NFL.  Can he convert it into catches?

By all accounts, Dotson has tremendous hands.  

I think the knocks on him:  #1:  Washington.  They've struggled to support 1 fantasy relevant WR.  Well, having the talent at the position goes a long way.  Also, Wentz is probably an upgrade over what they've had in the past--even if it's not the level of upgrade we'd like to have seen for McLaurin.  I also think there's a great chance Washington sucks this year.  They were 7-10 last year.  It's not that big of a leap to wind up 3-14 or 4-13.  They could definitely be looking at one of the Elite QB prospects this time next year.  And suddenly we're talking about how nasty this WAS offense can be with Bryce Young, McLaurin, Dotson.  

I appreciate the late breakout age.  But McLaurin never broke out in college and still found NFL success with Washington.  

I'm picking at 1.12 in a couple of leagues, hoping he falls there. 

Almost no chance Washington finishes with a markedly worse record than last year.  Wentz is a gigantic upgrade over Heinike.  He has the ability to throw deep (which Heinike does not) so they will be able to stretch the field.  They play a 3rd place schedule rather than 1st place schedule.  According to Warren Sharp, they go from the 2nd most difficult schedule last year to the 6th easiest this year (based on Vegas team win projections).  Washington's Defense could take a step back, and/or Wentz might go full-time idiot Wentz mode, so they might finish around 7-10 again, but I'd say 8-9 or 9-8 is much more likely.

With all of that being said, I do believe in the chemistry reports we are hearing on Wentz/Dotson, so I think he could have a decent rookie year.  And if Wentz hits he can be a very serviceable WR2 or 3 in dynasty starting year 2.

I haven't been a huge Dotson supporter based on what I saw from him in college, but some analysts and now the camp reports have me rethinking my position on him.  Still not sold on him but I'll be keeping a close eye on him this preseason.

Part of me wonders if the "chemistry" reports are being used to encourage McLaurin to sign sooner.

Last edited by a moderator:
I haven't been a huge Dotson supporter based on what I saw from him in college, but some analysts and now the camp reports have me rethinking my position on him.  Still not sold on him but I'll be keeping a close eye on him this preseason.

Part of me wonders if the "chemistry" reports are being used to encourage McLaurin to sign sooner.

FWIW, some of the reports are coming from guys like JP Finlay and John Keim that have never been WFT ball-washers.  They tend to be more objective than most.

Valid question and supposedly both sides are far apart. Washington would be really really stupid not to lock him up to a long term deal. He's the face of the franchise IMO, and his metrics are outstanding, especially when you consider how bad his QBs have been. 

Count me in the camp that thinks both could be true. Dotson could be wowing, and they are using that as leverage to try to get McLaurin to sign sooner.

Count me in the camp that thinks both could be true. Dotson could be wowing, and they are using that as leverage to try to get McLaurin to sign sooner.
I always take these things with a grain of salt anyways.  But given the trades going down at WR, and the money going to them, I would assume McLaurin feels like he’s holding all the chips.

Fair point. The fluff from coaches and team-paid "reporters" are always propaganda.  But the objective reports from some observers I do believe.

McLaurin skipping minicamp altogether. Wants a Christian Kirk deal.  Dotson was already looking like a week 1 starter for the team but he should be getting wr1 reps in minicamp and there's now a real possibility that McLaurin holds out through training camps/preseason or even into the season. 

McLaurin skipping minicamp altogether. Wants a Christian Kirk deal.  Dotson was already looking like a week 1 starter for the team but he should be getting wr1 reps in minicamp and there's now a real possibility that McLaurin holds out through training camps/preseason or even into the season. 
I think if he just wanted Christian Kirk money, he be signed by now. I think he wants more like Adams/Hill money. 

Why would that have any sway with McLaurin signing sooner?  Wouldn't that coupled with WFT not working on an extension to the extent McLaurin wants actually do the opposite.  I could see him saying, oh you think this guy is that good and you aren't even trying to work with me on an extension then screw you and I want out.  

Why would that have any sway with McLaurin signing sooner?  Wouldn't that coupled with WFT not working on an extension to the extent McLaurin wants actually do the opposite.  I could see him saying, oh you think this guy is that good and you aren't even trying to work with me on an extension then screw you and I want out.  
It's a pretty common tactic.  It's not like this is the first time it's happened.  

It's a pretty common tactic.  It's not like this is the first time it's happened.  
I am not doubting that or say it doesn't happen.  I am just thinking for myself that kind of info wouldn't have any push to get me to sign sooner if they aren't working with me on a deal to my liking.  

Has anyone actually held out yet once the new CBA was put in place that did not allow you an accrued season if you don't show up within 5 days of camp opening? We've had a few hold in's that I recall but can't think of anything that went into the season. Am I missing anyone?

I think if he just wanted Christian Kirk money, he be signed by now. I think he wants more like Adams/Hill money. 
Yeah.  If he's asking to be paid like Kirk, there's no way Washington hasn't already jumped on that.  Even as dysfunctional as that organization is, that's a bargain.  

I would think he's shooting for AJ Brown money.  McLaurin has more catches and yards than Brown.  Brown obviously has the advantage in the TD dept.  But if I'm his agent, that's the mark I'm shooting for.  

I am not doubting that or say it doesn't happen.  I am just thinking for myself that kind of info wouldn't have any push to get me to sign sooner if they aren't working with me on a deal to my liking.  
I agree.  

If you're McLaurin, you see all these guys getting these insane contracts.  And the teams that don't want to pay are being forced to trade their receivers to teams that do want to pay them.  

It feels like the WR's are playing with all the chips right now.  I have a hard time thinking McLaurin is reading anything about Dotson or anyone else on the football team and thinking "I better hurry up and sign."  

It's possible Washington is trying to use this as a tactic.  But I can't imagine McLaurin cares in the least.  

I'm a homer, and you guys can call me crazy, but he deserves that kind of money. #1 contested catch rate in the NFL, has been putting up great numbers despite Washington having the worst QBr rating in the entire league over the last few years. (man I should be his agent ;)  ) 

I'm a homer, and you guys can call me crazy, but he deserves that kind of money. #1 contested catch rate in the NFL, has been putting up great numbers despite Washington having the worst QBr rating in the entire league over the last few years. (man I should be his agent ;)  ) 
While I won't go quite that far, I will say, I am very curious what McLaurin's career to date would look like if he'd had a Rodgers/Mahomes throwing to him. My guess would be probably not quite as good, but possibly not far behind. 

I'm kinda hoping Sam Howell gets on the field sooner rather than later, with both McLaurin and Dotson. 

Side note: There is a part of me that thinks Adams might be a bit overrated due to Rodgers, who has made multiple WRs look like all-pros, though none as sustained as Adams has been. At least with Tyreek, he was still a high level guy with Alex Smith before Mahomes. Adams has an admittedly solid stretch with Brett Hundley, but its a small sample size.

I always take these things with a grain of salt anyways.  But given the trades going down at WR, and the money going to them, I would assume McLaurin feels like he’s holding all the chips.
...and Washington countered by selecting a WR round 1. 

...and Washington countered by selecting a WR round 1. 
Absolutely. 

Tennessee drafted Burks and traded Brown because they didn't want to pay the price tag.  

If Dotson gives them the confidence to trade McLaurin, then all the power to them.  But they'll be stuck facing the situation "Either we trade him him for what we can, or we lose him to UFA."  I just can't imagine McLaurin feels at all like he's not in control.  

I think Ron knows his job security may be on the line this year. I think they drafted Dotson because they needed to improve at WR and give Carson Wentz more weapons in hopes that he would be the answer at QB.  I don't think they drafted Dotson because they assumed they would lose Terry. 

Commanders.com's Zach Selby reports rookie WR Jahan Dotson has been "electric" in offseason practices. 

Dotson, the team's 16th overall pick in the 2022 NFL Draft, has drawn universal praise from Washington coaches and teammates this offseason, showing off "the traits that enticed Washington to draft him -- specifically his route-running and hands," Selby said. "He's awesome," Carson Wentz said. "He's a quiet kid, young kid, but he's a hard worker. He's smart, he's instinctual. He catches the football as natural as anybody I've been around, just how natural he plucks it out of the air." Dotson was highly productive in his final two years at Penn State, producing a 38 percent yardage share and 47 percent touchdown share in 2020 and a 36 percent yardage share and 50 percent touchdown share in 2021. Dotson is in line to start opposite Terry McLaurin and could serve as Wentz's No. 2 target with Logan Thomas still recovering from a major 2021 knee injury. Like McLaurin, Dotson is known to play much bigger than he is (5'11" and 177 pounds). 

SOURCE: Commanders.com 

Jun 17, 2022, 12:43 PM ET

Washington WR coach Drew Terrell said he "couldn't find negative plays" on rookie Jahan Dotson's college film.

"I was going back through his tape to try and find negative plays that I could press him on. I didn't have much negative to go off." Dotson was electric in offseason practices, with the Washington coaching staff talking up his route-running and pro-readiness. Early dynasty drafters have been sleeping on Dotson, drafting Titans WR Treylon Burks and Lions WR Jameson Williams, a candidate for reserve/PUP, ahead of him. The 16th overall pick is slated to start opposite Terry McLaurin, who has yet to be extended in the final year of his contract. 

SOURCE: NBC Sports Washington

Jun 25, 2022, 10:29 AM ET

Took Pickens and Watson and Spiller over this guy and am having real doubts about the wisdom of that. This guy was somebody I really liked from his highlights and sort of let expert opinion and size get me off of him.

I personally don’t think that Jahan Dotson has eclipsed Terry McLaurin.

When Kevin Sheehan says “there’s a handful of people in the Commanders building that believe Jahan Dotson is their best WR” - who knows how many people think that and what their positions are with the Commanders (could be a janitor and a hot dog vendor who drafted Dotson in their fantasy football leagues for all we know).

Took Pickens and Watson and Spiller over this guy and am having real doubts about the wisdom of that. This guy was somebody I really liked from his highlights and sort of let expert opinion and size get me off of him.

I'd rank Dotson first among those guys, but I like all of them a lot. (I went Dotson-Spiller in the first two rounds of both of my rookie drafts, but it was close between Dotson and Watson for me in the draft where they were both available.)

I'd rank Dotson first among those guys, but I like all of them a lot. (I went Dotson-Spiller in the first two rounds of both of my rookie drafts, but it was close between Dotson and Watson for me in the draft where they were both available.)

Do you like Dotson more than Sky Moore? I have a strong feeling will be conundrum at #8 overall in an upcoming dynasty rookie/fa draft.

When Kevin Sheehan says “there’s a handful of people in the Commanders building that believe Jahan Dotson is their best WR” - who knows how many people think that and what their positions are with the Commanders (could be a janitor and a hot dog vendor who drafted Dotson in their fantasy football leagues for all we know).
This and people love to have hot takes/hyperbolic statements.

I like Dotson a lot. I actually think he could be a really good receiver if they get a QB. I'm not anywhere near putting him on the same level as Terry.

He was Penn State's best weapon last year and I am looking forward to him doing well while McLaurin gets the attention of their opponent's # 1 CB.

Do you like Dotson more than Sky Moore?

Yes, my own personal WR rankings are London, Wilson, Olave, Williams, Dotson, Burks, Watson, Pickens, Pierce, Moore. I realize I'm lower on Moore than most and wouldn't be surprised to be proven wrong.
Pickens and Dotson have so far confirmed what we saw of them in college. I already had both of them ranked highly. I have moved Pickens up aggressively. I have not moved Dotson up (yet), but I already had him easily above Moore. Short term, Dotson's QB situation concerns me, and McLaurin will command a large share of targets. However, I love the talent.

For what it is worth, here are my WR rankings:

WR1 (Tier 1) Drake London 6-4 219 – ATL (Rd 1, Pk 8)
WR2 (Tier 1) George Pickens 6-3 195 4.47 PIT (Rd 2, Pk 52)
WR3 (Tier 1) Treylon Burks 6-2 225 4.55 TEN (Rd 1, Pk 18)
WR4 (Tier 1) Garrett Wilson 6-0 183 4.38 NYJ (Rd 1, Pk 10)
WR5 (Tier 1) Jameson Williams 6-2 179 – DET (Rd 1, Pk 12)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ TIER BREAK ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
WR6 (Tier 2) Chris Olave 6-0 187 4.39 NO (Rd 1, Pk 11)
WR7 (Tier 2) Jahan Dotson 5-11 178 4.43 WAS (Rd 1, Pk 16)
WR8 (Tier 3) Skyy Moore 5-10 195 4.41 KC (Rd 2, Pk 54)
WR9 (Tier 3) Christian Watson 6-4 208 4.36 GB (Rd 2, Pk 34)
WR10 (Tier 4) Alec Pierce 6-3 211 4.41 IND (Rd 2, Pk 53)
WR11 (Tier 4) David Bell 6-1 212 4.65 CLE (Rd 3, Pk 99)
WR12 (Tier 4) Wan’Dale Robinson 5-8 178 4.44 NYG (Rd 2, Pk 43)
WR13 (Tier 4) Jalen Tolbert 6-1 194 4.49 DAL (Rd 3, Pk 88)
WR14 (Tier 5) Khalil Shakir 6-0 196 4.43 BUF (Rd 5, Pk 148)
WR15 (Tier 5) Tyquan Thornton 6-2 181 4.28 NE (Rd 2, Pk 50)
WR16 (Tier 5) Romeo Doubs 6-2 201 – GB (Rd 4, Pk 132)
WR17 (Tier 5) Calvin Austin III 5-8 170 4.32 PIT (Rd 4, Pk 138)
WR18 (Tier 5) Kyle Philips 5-11 189 4.58 TEN (Rd 5, Pk 163)
WR19 (Tier 5) Velus Jones, Jr. 6-0 204 4.31 CHI (Rd 3, Pk 71)
WR20 (Tier 6) Bo Melton 5-11 189 4.34 SEA (Rd 7, Pk 229)
WR21 (Tier 6) Erik Ezukanma 6-2 209 4.53 MIA (Rd 4, Pk 125)
WR22 (Tier 6) Danny Gray 6-1 182 4.33 SF (Rd 3, Pk 105)
WR23 (Tier 6) Samori Toure 6-1 191 4.43 GB (Rd 7, Pk 258)
WR24 (Tier 6) Kevin Austin, Jr. 6-2 200 4.43 JAC (UDFA)

This and people love to have hot takes/hyperbolic statements.

I like Dotson a lot. I actually think he could be a really good receiver if they get a QB. I'm not anywhere near putting him on the same level as Terry.
Agree all around but as bad as Wentz is as a real NFL QB he’s not bad for his receivers in fantasy - and as bad as Wentz is in real life he’s massively better than Heineke.

The Washington Post reports "buzz has been building" for first-round WR Jahan Dotson in Commanders camp.​

Beat writer Sam Fortier reports the No. 16 overall pick has displayed "polished routes" and "big-play ability." We have heard a steady drumbeat of praise, as well, though the fact remains Dotson will be no better than the No. 2 passing-game option in an offense quarterbacked by Carson Wentz. Fantasy managers ignore real life draft capital at their own peril, but we doubt Dotson will rise above WR4 status in 2022, and even that could be a stretch.
SOURCE: Washington Post
Aug 18, 2022, 5:30 PM ET

WAS players aren't getting the bumps they should because everyone dislikes Wentz. NO ONE has been talking about what McLaurin will do this year with a real QB.

I have, but I'm not in the fantasy football content creator realm. The only problem with Wentz is that his lack of decision-making skills makes coaches sit on the ball in their play-calling. They tend to become run-first outfits, and with Gibson and Robinson, they could be a 1-2 ground and pound type of deal should Wentz display the decision-making he's shown the past two seasons.

Agree all around but as bad as Wentz is as a real NFL QB he’s not bad for his receivers in fantasy - and as bad as Wentz is in real life he’s massively better than Heineke.
WAS players aren't getting the bumps they should because everyone dislikes Wentz. NO ONE has been talking about what McLaurin will do this year with a real QB.
I think it's a bit more than that. It's not like Rivera has overseen prolific offenses. Not to mention McLaurin has yet to demonstrate redzone prowess IMHO. The ceiling is lower for Mclaurin IMHO although the floor may be decent.

I prefer high ceiling players at Mclaurin's ADP, and because I don't have a high ceiling associated with Mclaurin, he's not going to be on many of my squads.

Do you like Dotson more than Sky Moore?

Yes, my own personal WR rankings are London, Wilson, Olave, Williams, Dotson, Burks, Watson, Pickens, Pierce, Moore. I realize I'm lower on Moore than most and wouldn't be surprised to be proven wrong.
Pickens and Dotson have so far confirmed what we saw of them in college. I already had both of them ranked highly. I have moved Pickens up aggressively. I have not moved Dotson up (yet), but I already had him easily above Moore. Short term, Dotson's QB situation concerns me, and McLaurin will command a large share of targets. However, I love the talent.

For what it is worth, here are my WR rankings:

WR1 (Tier 1) Drake London 6-4 219 – ATL (Rd 1, Pk 8)
WR2 (Tier 1) George Pickens 6-3 195 4.47 PIT (Rd 2, Pk 52)
WR3 (Tier 1) Treylon Burks 6-2 225 4.55 TEN (Rd 1, Pk 18)
WR4 (Tier 1) Garrett Wilson 6-0 183 4.38 NYJ (Rd 1, Pk 10)
WR5 (Tier 1) Jameson Williams 6-2 179 – DET (Rd 1, Pk 12)
WR6 (Tier 2) Chris Olave 6-0 187 4.39 NO (Rd 1, Pk 11)
WR7 (Tier 2) Jahan Dotson 5-11 178 4.43 WAS (Rd 1, Pk 16)
WR8 (Tier 3) Skyy Moore 5-10 195 4.41 KC (Rd 2, Pk 54)
WR9 (Tier 3) Christian Watson 6-4 208 4.36 GB (Rd 2, Pk 34)
WR10 (Tier 4) Alec Pierce 6-3 211 4.41 IND (Rd 2, Pk 53)
WR11 (Tier 4) David Bell 6-1 212 4.65 CLE (Rd 3, Pk 99)
WR12 (Tier 4) Wan’Dale Robinson 5-8 178 4.44 NYG (Rd 2, Pk 43)
WR13 (Tier 4) Jalen Tolbert 6-1 194 4.49 DAL (Rd 3, Pk 88)
WR14 (Tier 5) Khalil Shakir 6-0 196 4.43 BUF (Rd 5, Pk 148)
WR15 (Tier 5) Tyquan Thornton 6-2 181 4.28 NE (Rd 2, Pk 50)
WR16 (Tier 5) Romeo Doubs 6-2 201 – GB (Rd 4, Pk 132)
WR17 (Tier 5) Calvin Austin III 5-8 170 4.32 PIT (Rd 4, Pk 138)
WR18 (Tier 5) Kyle Philips 5-11 189 4.58 TEN (Rd 5, Pk 163)
WR19 (Tier 5) Velus Jones, Jr. 6-0 204 4.31 CHI (Rd 3, Pk 71)
WR20 (Tier 6) Bo Melton 5-11 189 4.34 SEA (Rd 7, Pk 229)
WR21 (Tier 6) Erik Ezukanma 6-2 209 4.53 MIA (Rd 4, Pk 125)
WR22 (Tier 6) Danny Gray 6-1 182 4.33 SF (Rd 3, Pk 105)
WR23 (Tier 6) Samori Toure 6-1 191 4.43 GB (Rd 7, Pk 258)
WR24 (Tier 6) Kevin Austin, Jr. 6-2 200 4.43 JAC (UDFA)
And what is different with Pickens situation QB, WRs ...?

And what is different with Pickens situation QB, WRs ...?
I feel like Pittsburgh has their QB of the future on their roster in Pickett. I am not as confident in Sam Howell to emerge. I also think Pickens projects as the Steelers' alpha receiver. I am very bullish on Dotson, but McLaurin probably still projects as the teams WR1. If Dotson had Pickens' size, he would likely be my WR1 in this class. His hands and routes are elite.

I think it's a bit more than that. It's not like Rivera has overseen prolific offenses. Not to mention McLaurin has yet to demonstrate redzone prowess IMHO. The ceiling is lower for Mclaurin IMHO although the floor may be decent.

I prefer high ceiling players at Mclaurin's ADP, and because I don't have a high ceiling associated with Mclaurin, he's not going to be on many of my squads.
I think McLaurin as a player has as high of a ceiling as nearly anyone in fantasy. His offense/QB probably won't let him get there but if you swapped Diggs and McLaurin or McLaurin and Lamb, I think he's worthy of a top 15 pick for fantasy. All the talent seems to be there for me.

Jahan Dotson caught 3-of-5 targets for 40 yards and two touchdowns in the Commanders' Week 1 win over the Jaguars.

Dotson didn't make many plays in this one, but he made sure the plays he made counted. The rookie receiver's first reception on the day came on a seven-yard touchdown pass in the back of the end zone to give the Commanders an early 14-0 lead, after he went up to haul in his first career score. Late in the fourth quarter Dotson would strike again. The rookie receiver became Carson Wentz's outlet in the face of a blitz after Wentz found him in the end zone for a diving 24-yard score to give the Commanders a 28-22 lead. Dotson showed good hands in this one and came up clutch when the game was on the line. He ranked fourth on the Commanders in targets in a game that featured 41 passes from Carson Wentz. Dotson shouldn't be treated as anything more than a WR4 next week against the Lions.

- NBCSportsEDGE

Users who are viewing this thread