What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Jahan Dotson, WAS (2 Viewers)

Had Godwin in my 2nd WR slot all week. Really wanted to out Dotson in. 3 minutes before lock time, I made the swap for Dotson. 1 minute before lock time, swapped back to Godwin.

I mean, I only got 9 from Godwin anyway. But that's 9 points.

This guy has almost single-handedly wrecked my FFA Summerpalooza team. This guy gets you goose eggs and ones. It's absurd how fast and how far he's fallen. You just can't put him in as a starter. What a letdown! This is like Christian Watson and my dynasty team. Two second-year inexcusable duds.

I'd lost track of the thread and got a good laugh out of yesterday breezing through the box scores. How does a guy go from:

HEALTHY week 6- GOOSE On one target
Week 7- 5/43 on 8 targets
Week 8- 8/108 +1 on 10 targets
Week 9- 4/69 +1 on 8 targets
Week 10- GOOSE on two targets in a game with 44!!!! pass attempts and 29 completions. Not like a wind game anomaly. Was out targeted by the following players: John Bates, Antonio Gibson, McLaruin, Brian Robinson, Curtis Samuel and Logan Thomas. Tied with the immortal Dyami Brown and Byron Pringle. At least he had one more than Alex Armah and Jamo Crowder.

I was legit bummed out that I had to drop him. I'm not sure I win this past week if he's in my lineup and might need a mental health check after this if I'd held him.

FWIW, he's young and in an "ascending" offense so maybe there's hope. As mentioned upthread, Harmon is a fan so he'll always have folks believing and waiting to scoop him up. If you have room on your roster for a guy that might need a year and otherwise steer clear of the lineup for a bit, he's a good candidate IMO.

I'd lost track of the thread and got a good laugh out of yesterday breezing through the box scores. How does a guy go from:

Week 10- GOOSE on two targets in a game with 44!!!! pass attempts and 29 completions. Not like a wind game anomaly. Was out targeted by the following players: John Bates, Antonio Gibson, McLaruin, Brian Robinson, Curtis Samuel and Logan Thomas. Tied with the immortal Dyami Brown and Byron Pringle. At least he had one more than Alex Armah and Jamo Crowder.

I was legit bummed out that I had to drop him. I'm not sure I win this past week if he's in my lineup and might need a mental health check after this if I'd held him.

FWIW, he's young and in an "ascending" offense so maybe there's hope. As mentioned upthread, Harmon is a fan so he'll always have folks believing and waiting to scoop him up. If you have room on your roster for a guy that might need a year and otherwise steer clear of the lineup for a bit, he's a good candidate IMO.
Yeah, it's been ..... weird. Zero clue what to expect but I'm glad it's a dynasty league for me and that I generally don't need him.

If I were an nfl gm I would be seeing what the price is for Dotson in the offseason. My guess is regime change in Washington next season and the new coach/gm will want to feature Dotson and not move him.

Dotson is a great receiver that isn’t being utilized the way he should be.

How does a guy go from:

To be fair, you could say the same about target volatility for about 90% (if not more) of WRs out there. There are only a few WRs, notably Tyreek, CeeDee, Chase, Jefferson, and Diggs, that get that kind of volume consistently. And it's not like Dotson is even the #1 WR on his own team.

Last edited:
This guy has almost single-handedly wrecked my FFA Summerpalooza team. This guy gets you goose eggs and ones. It's absurd how fast and how far he's fallen. You just can't put him in as a starter. What a letdown! This is like Christian Watson and my dynasty team. Two second-year inexcusable duds.
Three weeks previous, 8, 10 and 8 targets. Back to back nice games. Then 2 targets yesterday. Every time the red zone switched to the game, it was check downs to RBs or short throws to Thomas. Also, Crowder, Brown and Pringle on the field. McLaurin had 8 targets but only 4 catches for 35 yards. Looks like Brown had the only actual downfield catch. Robinson's long play was a check down that he took to the house. In defense of Dotson, you can't catch the ball if they don't throw it to you. Same with Olave yesterday. Before Carr went out, he had no targets, so not surprisingly, no catches. Jameis comes in and Olave ends up with almost 100 yards and a score in about a quarter and a half and the Saints almost make a comeback after being down huge.

I only have one share of Dotson that I picked up off waivers, so he's a bench guy but still from a real football point of view, hard to understand why they totally ignored him yesterday after being heavily targeted the last 3 weeks. Guess part of it was Samuel coming back and getting 6 targets.

@zamboni , that's not really what I've seen in watching the snap counts and targets all year. Absent injury or game script stuff, most WRs have less variance in their ts than what it's been for him this year. Might be a Curtis Samuel thing for him.

A top 30 NFL talent WR in a system throwing the ball 44 times on the field for 95% of the snaps gets two targets. Makes zero sense.

@zamboni , that's not really what I've seen in watching the snap counts and targets all year. Absent injury or game script stuff, most WRs have less variance in their ts than what it's been for him this year. Might be a Curtis Samuel thing for him.

A top 30 NFL talent WR in a system throwing the ball 44 times on the field for 95% of the snaps gets two targets. Makes zero sense.
At Penn State there were times Doston even with his speed had issues with separation. I am thinking that is starting to get translated into the pros. The guy can look like a poor man's JJ pone week, then just disappear the next.

The idea that he played 95% of thee offensive snaps and only get two balls his way makes me thing he was having issues getting open.

I can't speak to the stats, but as mentioned above, just about all WRs have variance - some more than others. Just a nature of the position in which you need the QB to deliver you the ball. To Howell's credit, he doesn't force the ball, but has effectively used a bunch of WRs. I know this from having had Dotson earlier in the year.

Just took Dotson in the mid 12th round of a SF Best Ball PPR Dynasty league. While he was a HUGE disappointment this year, I have to hope next year with a better coaching staff and possibly better QB he could see a return to the promise he showed his rookie year. Or am I kidding myself here???

Dotson seems like a fine dart throw in the 12th round. The talent and draft capital are there for sure, and imo one of the keys to winning your league is buying these types of players when their value has dipped. For a 2024 sleeper Dotson checks all of the boxes for me - on the subject of the Commanders I'd also be targeting Cole Turner and Chris Rodriguez in deeper leagues.

Dotson seems like a fine dart throw in the 12th round. The talent and draft capital are there for sure, and imo one of the keys to winning your league is buying these types of players when their value has dipped. For a 2024 sleeper Dotson checks all of the boxes for me - on the subject of the Commanders I'd also be targeting Cole Turner and Chris Rodriguez in deeper leagues.
Cole Turner is a mystery to me. His rookie year he was banged up, so I didn't expect much, but this year, I haven't read about any significant injury and yet he's been a distant 3rd most targeted TE on the roster.

Hopefully there will be a youth movement after Riverboat Ron is shown the door, and all the aforementioned players will get a chance to play meaningful minutes.

I am holding out slim hope that Dotson becomes a relevant asset this coming season. I am skeptical because there isn't a strong history of a rookie QB supporting two fantasy-relevant WRs.
:kicksrock:

I'm not sure there's much of an excuse that can be given to Dotson for his performance last year. I remember that on Twitter/X they were showing him quit on routes and other plays that showed a lack of basic hustle. That's bad. And running that many routes and never seeing targets? One has to hope that either he and Howell were never on the same page or that Eric Bieniemy had him running clearing route after clearing route so that the underneath guys could operate in the space he created. Otherwise, a performance that bad portends mediocrity on the field and on the stat sheet.

Dotson is good. Washington OC and line was just that bad last year (and I'll put a tad on Howell too, but mostly coaching and line)
Could probably also argue Curtis Samuel (at least at this point in their careers) was just better, and Howell threw to the guy who was more open, or more likely to make guys miss after the catch. I think moving to the slot full-time will probably help, but its possible Dotson is just a mediocre WR who Washington reached on in round 1, and he happened to have a hot stretch of TDs as a rookie. Except for the team change, his resume through 2 years is awfully similar to Elijah Moore.

Mike Clay
Jahan Dotson's target share falling from 16% as a rookie (23% during the final 5 weeks) to 13% in 2023 is quite the mystery.

Believe it or not, Dotson finished 4th in the NFL in pass routes, but was 49th among WRs in targets, last season.
4th in NFL in pass routes ... Bizarre.
Some of that could probably be offset by Washington being the most pass heavy team in the NFL last season and having a clear cut #1 in McLaurin. Being on the field for the team with the most attempts, but being a tertiary option makes sense.

For example, Dotson only ran 30 more routes than Alec Pierce did, and had 16 more targets than Pierce.

I expect a bounce back season. He seemed off last season. Whether that was EB's coaching style, the scheme, Howell not finding him, lingering injuries from year 1, personal reasons .. who knows. He certainly has WR2 talent. Hopefully better coaching makes his 3rd year a charm!

I'm not sure there's much of an excuse that can be given to Dotson for his performance last year. I remember that on Twitter/X they were showing him quit on routes and other plays that showed a lack of basic hustle.
There were a lot of rumblings that a LOT of the players weren't happy with EB and the offense. So maybe some of the players, Dotson included, stopped giving it their all. I know that sounds bad, but he sure looked like he loved football when EB wasn't there, and in college for that matter. So I think a bounce back is coming for sure.

I'm not sure there's much of an excuse that can be given to Dotson for his performance last year. I remember that on Twitter/X they were showing him quit on routes and other plays that showed a lack of basic hustle. That's bad. And running that many routes and never seeing targets? One has to hope that either he and Howell were never on the same page or that Eric Bieniemy had him running clearing route after clearing route so that the underneath guys could operate in the space he created. Otherwise, a performance that bad portends mediocrity on the field and on the stat sheet.
It wasn't just receivers who quit on plays last year for Washington. Last year was a culmination of Rivera's bad decisions on personnel, coordinators, strategy, and time management that just sank the team. You can find film on various players quitting on plays. You can find descriptions of McLaurin arguing with Bienemy in practices. The wheels came off the entire team.

This season will be the one that shows Dotson's ability. I think he's quite good, runs good routes, and is excellent at contested catches. We'll see.

Users who are viewing this thread