What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Gabriel Davis, JAC (1 Viewer)

I believe in Gabe. But I am just a fan.

My hope is that the Bills are looking at him with a very critical eye and really know what they have versus living on hope because they can’t afford to mess up WR2 for another year.
If Gabe doesn't produce this year, people need to put their ego's aside and admit that he was over-hyped.

WR Gabriel Davis has been incredibly important and productive for Josh Allen when pressured.
2020-2022 (3 seasons) when QB is pressured: Gabe Davis Production -
48.8% First Down Rate (1st) -
11.0% Rec TD Rate (2nd) -
17.1 Air Yards/Target (3rd) -
18.4 Yards per Reception (4th)

GABE DAVIS
Interesting stuff regarding Gabe

Waldman reviews skill position players for a fantasy site.
His observation is that Gabe's hand position at point of catch is a fatal flaw that has not been corrected by coaching.
route running has also not improved.
McD/Beane think a new WR coach will make a difference.

maybe Dorsey is listening to Josh as well

https://forums.footballguys.com/threads/wr-gabriel-davis-buf.783434/page-38
Matt Waldman
Quentin Johnston with an impressive catch. It will be even more impressive if he can become the third WR I have scouted in 18 years who can produce consistently enough with suboptimal hands positions at the catch point.
The entire introduction to the WR class solo pod is about hands and catching (and coaching/ growth of specific skill sets). My hunch is that he's trying to help educate folks about his experience as it relates to his grades for QJ and his previous takes on Gabe Davis. His take: Gabe Davis was the third option that KC forced Allen to use to beat them and he did but that was more to do with Allen than Davis and that is spoke nothing of Davis other than his ability to be a deep threat/ home run hitter with inconsistent route running and hands skills that haven't improved since he initially scouted him. He's a player that needs to be schemed open and drops a lot of passes due to his hands technique. People that expected Davis to be more than that set themselves up for disappointment. Not that players can't change or grow but that it's not a thing worth banking on until it's observed and is less common that people might assume.

Josh Allen said the Bills need to put Gabe Davis in better situations in 2023.
More specifically, Allen said the team should put Davis into more "catch and run" situations rather than using him strictly as a boundary and downfield pass catcher. Davis, struggling with a nagging ankle injury for much of the 2022 season, was among the league's least efficient wideouts in the hyper-productive Buffalo offense. Allen joins Bills general manager Brandon Beane in giving a vote of confidence to Davis, 24, as he enters his fourth NFL season. Davis was the WR35 in fantasy leagues last season
SOURCE: Maddy Glab on Twitter

I'll admit I really thought they might have taken a top WR but I think Kinkaid falling that far surprised everyone. They may have indeed taken a top WR if not for that opportunity. But IDK how we don't say bump Gabe Davis a *small* notch.

I'll admit I really thought they might have taken a top WR but I think Kinkaid falling that far surprised everyone. They may have indeed taken a top WR if not for that opportunity. But IDK how we don't say bump Gabe Davis a *small* notch.
All pre-draft I kept seeing that they wanted a big slot guy.

They got that. Davis seems to have survived and held onto his WR2 job.

Unlike FF managers, it seems like the Bills take a longer term approach to team building and giving players time.

Nah. He is who he is and they still drafted competition for him, doesn't really matter what position is next to their name. No real change, he's still a boom or bust much better best ball than non player.

Nah. He is who he is and they still drafted competition for him, doesn't really matter what position is next to their name. No real change, he's still a boom or bust much better best ball than non player.
He lost value prior to the draft because they were presumed to draft another WR, not just another target like Kinkaid. I agree he is who he is, actually. But he survived the draft for the most part and will continue to have *some* value. And yes limited as it is. Better in BB as you say. Agreed. But a small bump is warranted IMO.

He lost value prior to the draft because they were presumed to draft another WR, not just another target like Kinkaid. I agree he is who he is, actually. But he survived the draft for the most part and will continue to have *some* value. And yes limited as it is. Better in BB as you say. Agreed. But a small bump is warranted IMO.
If you say so. His value didn't change in any of my leagues this offseason and there's no way consensus ADP would price in a 100% chance that they would draft a WR. The bottom line is they traded up for the 1st TE taken in the draft (right behind the top 4 WRs), IMO that's tough to sell as a positive for him. In any event, the "moves" in either direction can't be much.

If you say so. His value didn't change in any of my leagues this offseason and there's no way consensus ADP would price in a 100% chance that they would draft a WR. The bottom line is they traded up for the 1st TE taken in the draft (right behind the top 4 WRs), IMO that's tough to sell as a positive for him. In any event, the "moves" in either direction can't be much.
but that's how ADP works - I'm not making this stuff up - his value has absolutely fallen lately. 100% chance built into ADP? Of course not but the community was betting on it happening. Including in my own ranks. All I'm talking about is bumping him up to about where he was, so yeah nothing big. When I say bump I don't mean that I'm selling my family. I'm talking about ok maybe he was WR40 now WR35. Nothing to get too excited about. My excitement died last year for the most part. But he is still super young and kept his role for 2023.

but that's how ADP works - I'm not making this stuff up - his value has absolutely fallen lately. 100% chance built into ADP? Of course not but the community was betting on it happening. Including in my own ranks. All I'm talking about is bumping him up to about where he was, so yeah nothing big. When I say bump I don't mean that I'm selling my family. I'm talking about ok maybe he was WR40 now WR35. Nothing to get too excited about. My excitement died last year for the most part. But he is still super young and kept his role for 2023.
What about a draft pick value of him as an update. What would be fair to buy and sell him?
I wouldn’t pay more than a 2nd, but I don’t see Davis owners going for that.

What about a draft pick value of him as an update. What would be fair to buy and sell him?
I'm early 2nd to sell and I'm not a buyer unless someone sells super low and/or it's part of a package.

I'm early 2nd to sell and I'm not a buyer unless someone sells super low and/or it's part of a package.
Would super low as a buyer be more in the late 2nd early 3rd range?

I wouldn’t sell for that, and as cheaply as I got him in both of my leagues a late 2nd would be a profit.

They didn’t draft a WR. Davis is still the presumed Y starting receiver for an efficient offense.

He’s worth more to hold on the chance it really was the ankle than to sell that low and let someone else profit off of it.

I might package him for a better player in a 2 for 1, but I agree with @barackdhouse that his value gets a slight bump given the circumstances. Everyone and their brother predicted the Bills taking a WR with early draft capital. That didn’t happen.

I know how ADP works, that's why I know it's "value" goes way down in ~March. Much smaller sample size.

However, it should be easy to see if that's what you want to base it on, right? What did his ADP drop to based on these draft rumors, and wait a few days to see what it "rises" to. IMO anyone who moves him up 5 spots based on what happened in the draft so far is off base. I don't think his value changed much at all and is more likely to be a tiny bit lower than higher, if for no other reason than the top WRs drafted ended up in good spots. A big nothingburger for Davis IMO.

Last edited:
I wouldn’t sell for that, and as cheaply as I got him in both of my leagues a late 2nd would be a profit.

They didn’t draft a WR. Davis is still the presumed Y starting receiver for an efficient offense.

He’s worth more to hold on the chance it really was the ankle than to sell that low and let someone else profit off of it.

I might package him for a better player in a 2 for 1, but I agree with @barackdhouse that his value gets a slight bump given the circumstances. Everyone and their brother predicted the Bills taking a WR with early draft capital. That didn’t happen.
Your profit means nothing for his current value.
What draft pick would it take for you to sell? What draft pick would you be willing to spend to buy him?

What draft pick would it take for you to sell? What draft pick would you be willing to spend to buy him?
I mean, I can only look at it in the context of my teams, so that absolutely matters in my evaluation of what I would accept for him.

Like I said - if I were getting a better player and packaging Davis was necessary, I probably wouldn’t hesitate.

But I’m not going to get a higher upside receiver at the end of the 2023 2nd round in rookie drafts, so I’d rather hold than sell for that.

There’s as much or greater chance of Davis having a post-hype breakout with a healthy season than of a guy in the late 2nd being relevant in this draft.

My $.02

I mean, I can only look at it in the context of my teams, so that absolutely matters in my evaluation of what I would accept for him.

Like I said - if I were getting a better player and packaging Davis was necessary, I probably wouldn’t hesitate.

But I’m not going to get a higher upside receiver at the end of the 2023 2nd round in rookie drafts, so I’d rather hold than sell for that.

There’s as much or greater chance of Davis having a post-hype breakout with a healthy season than of a guy in the late 2nd being relevant in this draft.

My $.02
If you are looking at it like that then you are in the sink cost fallacy. The cost should not impact current value.

I agree he has high upside, but I believe at some point when we keep holding out hope we are tricking ourself to believe he is something other than what he has proven to be.

A big nothingburger for Davis IMO.
I get what you’re saying, but it isn’t a nothingburger - maybe his value didn’t rise. I can buy that.

But it was expected to crater with a 1st or 2nd round WR selection, which didn’t happen.

In this case break even is a win. Makes him a strong hold, where if they’d drafted an early WR (and there were plenty left on the board) some may have questioned dropping him in shallow bench leagues.

It also sends a message that the Bills remain high on his potential. In that light I agree with @barackdhouse that he should see a little bump. He may not - but he should.

Maybe more hope or blind faith but I have heard a lot of talk on how his foot/ankle injury really held him back last year. Bills not taking a WR yet seems to be telling us there is something to this theory. At this stage a DHop signing is the largest fear.

My $.02
If you are looking at it like that then you are in the sink cost fallacy. The cost should not impact current value.

I agree he has high upside, but I believe at some point when we keep holding out hope we are tricking ourself to believe he is something other than what he has proven to be.
1st off, no. Sunk cost means I paid more than he’s currently worth, which I didn’t. I got him as a toss-in to a larger deal when he was a rookie in one league , and in another dealt 1:1 for James Robinson before last year. There’s no sunk cost for me. That’s why he’s worth more as a hold than a sell-low, which I thought I’d explained pretty well.

As for the rest, it’s been 1 full season with him as a starter, where he reportedly battled an ankle injury most of the year and was still a WR3. I find your critique somewhat premature - it’s not like he’s been kicking around for 4 years and put up middling numbers.

It’s still a pretty small sample size. Nothing is “proven” at this point.

Maybe more hope or blind faith but I have heard a lot of talk on how his foot/ankle injury really held him back last year. Bills not taking a WR yet seems to be telling us there is something to this theory. At this stage a DHop signing is the largest fear.
Agree with all of this, especially the last sentence. Last bullet to dodge. 😬

I thought Gabe Davis owners had missed their windows to sell for maximum value last off-season.

It appears the fantasy Gods are going to bless you with another. Don’t mess it up again.

My $.02

1st off, no. Sunk cost means I paid more than he’s currently worth, which I didn’t. I got him as a toss-in to a larger deal when he was a rookie in one league , and in another dealt 1:1 for James Robinson before last year. There’s no sunk cost for me. That’s why he’s worth more as a hold than a sell-low, which I thought I’d explained pretty well.

As for the rest, it’s been 1 full season with him as a starter, where he reportedly battled an ankle injury most of the year and was still a WR3. I find your critique somewhat premature - it’s not like he’s been kicking around for 4 years and put up middling numbers.

It’s still a pretty small sample size. Nothing is “proven” at this point.
You are difficult. Many times with investments it pertains to not being able to recover costs spent.
You are also using sunk cost fallacy with: The sunk cost fallacy means that we are making irrational decisions because we are factoring in influences other than the current alternatives.
If your reason for not selling has to do with your cost and not current value that is my point.

If we want to call things premature…your valuations of not willing to sell Davis for 2 or 3 firsts after his big playoff game…that seems like a premature valuation.

It appears the fantasy Gods are going to bless you with another. Don’t mess it up again.
Strange logic.

If he comes out and has the success we hoped for last year we should cut bait because he finally did what we expected?
🤔
What stopped him from doing it last year? His *checks notes* third year in the league? I thought this was supposed to be his big breakout.

It’s mind-boggling to me that he’s still valued by some at an early 2nd.

What stopped him from doing it last year? His *checks notes* third year in the league? I thought this was supposed to be his big breakout.
Reportedly a season-long high ankle injury that he suffered in practice week 3-4

And last year was his (checks notes) 1st as a starter.
I know it’s fun for people to hate on Davis. I get it. He burned a lot of folks. He was overhyped. All true.

But he’s (currently) a starting Y receiver for the Bills, and has upside as such.

Until that changes I see no reason to question that valuation.

your valuations of not willing to sell Davis for 2 or 3 firsts after his big playoff game
For the 11 millionth time, that was hyperbole, not intended as “my valuation” of him. Which I said at the time. We don’t need to go over that another 11 million times. I absolutely would have sold him for 2x 1sts.

It was me saying something dumb out of excitement on a forum. It won’t be the last time.

Cmon

Reportedly a season-long high ankle injury that he suffered in practice week 3-4

And last year was his (checks notes) 1st as a starter.
I know it’s fun for people to hate on Davis. I get it. He burned a lot of folks. He was overhyped. All true.

But he’s (currently) a starting Y receiver for the Bills, and has upside as such.

Until that changes I see no reason to question that valuation.
I like evaluation more than valuation....but that's just me I suppose.

I would spend a second rounder on him this year. I would probably hold out for a late first if I owned him aaaand probably not get it unless I wait for a big game.

I don’t think waiting for a big game is going to help with that.
Yeah, he’s either going to be the same inefficient WR3 or he’s going to take a step to being a FF WR2.

if waiting for a true value bump to sell, IMO it would only be after at least 1/2 season of consistent production.

There’s a wide range of outcomes possible with Davis, assuming they don’t deal for DHop (which is on that range, but I don’t like to think about that outcome for obvious reasons)

your valuations of not willing to sell Davis for 2 or 3 firsts after his big playoff game
For the 11 millionth time, that was hyperbole, not intended as “my valuation” of him. Which I said at the time. We don’t need to go over that another 11 million times. I absolutely would have sold him for 2x 1sts.

It was me saying something dumb out of excitement on a forum. It won’t be the last time.

Cmon
Just calling out premature valuations of players if me valuing him at what he has proven to be so far is premature.
Your memory on those conversations are hazy at best. I want to move forward though.

I said I’d sell for that which is a different statement. He’s still the WR2 in a high scoring offense. So a mid or late second is just as big of a dice roll imo.
I ate some crow earlier but still think he has some value as a boom/bust guy. If he doesn’t improve on last season’s stats his value will drop much lower or course.

In redraft last year I was avoiding because he was way too expensive. I said so. He was around 4th round ADP. This year he has been going 8th-10th round in best balls and redraft tourneys like FPC (I've done 5 of them so far). I took him in one at 9.09 and another at 9.03. WR 48 & 46 respectively. I imagine he might creep up to around WR40 in the coming weeks and months. A *small* bump. I don't really think anybody was paying as much as a late 2nd rounder for him before this week, but now perhaps they would? I'm honestly maybe not even a buyer at that price. Most people would hold at that price rather than sell so it likely isn't going to be a problem. But if people are saying they'd buy at late 2nd price, that *is* a small bump from where we were.

And yeah if they trade for Nuk forget about it.

A big nothingburger for Davis IMO.
I get what you’re saying, but it isn’t a nothingburger - maybe his value didn’t rise. I can buy that.

But it was expected to crater with a 1st or 2nd round WR selection, which didn’t happen.

In this case break even is a win. Makes him a strong hold, where if they’d drafted an early WR (and there were plenty left on the board) some may have questioned dropping him in shallow bench leagues.

It also sends a message that the Bills remain high on his potential. In that light I agree with @barackdhouse that he should see a little bump. He may not - but he should.
All due respect but your opinion has to be taken with a giant grain of salt- pretty sure even if they had taken a WR you would have been in here spinning it positively. :lol:

That said, that's not how it works. If it was truly expected that they were going to take a WR, then that would have been priced into his value (or ADP as barack said). So, his value/ADP would have dropped based on that expectation, and now it would again rise based on supposedly "better" news. It's like a stock price, it moves in anticipation of things happening (rumors) and then moves again when we get the actual news.

My opinion is that his value didn't really drop much based on the rumor in the first place and also hasn't increased much if at all based on the draft (they did draft competition for targets after all). To me that's pretty much textbook nothingburger and the talk in here is mostly wishcasting but to each their own. He's likely worth right around where he was on Wednesday, which was right around what he was worth the month before, etc. No worries if others feel differently.

My opinion is that his value didn't really drop much based on the rumor in the first place and also hasn't increased
Maybe a better way to put it would have been “if they drafted a WR, as most expected, his value would have tanked.” I doubt anyone was sniffing around Gabriel anyway at this point.

My opinion is that his value didn't really drop much based on the rumor in the first place and also hasn't increased
Maybe a better way to put it would have been “if they drafted a WR, as most expected, his value would have tanked.” I doubt anyone was sniffing around Gabriel anyway at this point.
I like this way to think about it. If they drafted a WR early I would have close to zero interest in acquiring him. As it stands I’m intrigued at a low price for an upside flier.

All due respect but your opinion has to be taken with a giant grain of salt- pretty sure even if they had taken a WR you would have been in here spinning it positively. :lol:
No, I would have been in here lamenting it like any rational human being. I ate plenty of crow last year.

I was high on Gabe Davis. I got him nearly free in both of my leagues. I never over-invested with the herd late other than as my WR4 in a redraft, and I am hopeful that his lack of consistent production was more a factor of his ankle than his ability.

Similarly as i literally just said above, if Nuk goes to BUF, there’s no denying it would destroy Davis’ value.

That said, that's not how it works. If it was truly expected that they were going to take a WR, then that would have been priced into his value (or ADP as barack said). So, his value/ADP would have dropped based on that expectation, and now it would again rise based on supposedly "better" news. It's like a stock price, it moves in anticipation of things happening (rumors) and then moves again when we get the actual news.

My opinion is that his value didn't really drop much based on the rumor in the first place and also hasn't increased much if at all based on the draft (they did draft competition for targets after all). To me that's pretty much textbook nothingburger and the talk in here is mostly wishcasting but to each their own. He's likely worth right around where he was on Wednesday, which was right around what he was worth the month before, etc. No worries if others feel differently.
We can agree to disagree. IMO his value drop already happened and as @barackdhouse said, the expectation that the Bills would draft a WR was baked in.

And it’s been exactly 2 days of NFL draft. And plenty of off-season left.

If they don’t trade for a WR, and there are positive camp rumblings, I could definitely see a bump coming for his value. That’s the anticipation you’re referring to.

It doesn’t necessarily happen overnight.

But if he enters the season as the Bills WR2, I wouldn’t be at all shocked to see his ADP start creeping up again.

Maybe a little better, but again, it doesn't really work that way. If most TRULY expected them to draft a WR, his value would have already dropped quite a bit in anticipation of that. I don't believe that happened (again I don't know what the ADP showed but it's very limited this time of year IMO), and that makes sense to me because no one really knows what a team is going to do in the draft, especially late in the round. IMO it's more like maybe his value dropped a tick in anticipation of the possibility of drafting a WR, then when they drafted the top TE instead maybe it went back up a tick. Like people puckered up a little during their pick and then unpuckered a little when it came. :lol:

I like this way to think about it. If they drafted a WR early I would have close to zero interest in acquiring him. As it stands I’m intrigued at a low price for an upside flier.
Taking a high profile TE in the first impacts Gabe's value, in my opinion. First time the Bill's have done that in forty years and another good option in the offense. Gabe has been somewhat of a security blanket for Allen and is a top option when a play breaks down. Knox has been as well... and Kincaid could eat into that, as could a second year Shakir.

There are holes in Gabe's game. Not that he isn't a good player... but he isn't going to be elite. As several posters have said, there is a point in the draft where he becomes a good value. However, he probably goes earlier than that just because he is in the Bills' offense.

if waiting for a true value bump to sell, IMO it would only be after at least 1/2 season of consistent production.
This is the absolute worst time to sell. If he puts up 1/2 season of consistent production he will be worth far more to your lineup than you can get for him on the trade market (which won't change much from where its at today, IMO).

The time to sell him is on the speculation that he's going to be a productive WR2 for a powerful offense. i.e., right now, and before something happens to tank what's left of his trade value.

This is the absolute worst time to sell. If he puts up 1/2 season of consistent production he will be worth far more to your lineup than you can get for him on the trade market (which won't change much from where its at today, IMO).

The time to sell him is on the speculation that he's going to be a productive WR2 for a powerful offense. i.e., right now, and before something happens to tank what's left of his trade value.
Agree to disagree. While I think @barackdhouse is correct that he’ll get a little bump now, and another bump if the Bills don’t bring in a WR, there’s still a ton of post-hype resentment about him.

Too much made over his inefficiency and not enough made about battling a high ankle for months.

Some players would be lauded for playing through injury, but Davis gets none of that respect because of the hype.

IMO he needs a rehabilitation arc to recover his trade value. Selling now on a tiny bump is still a sell-low.

And while you’re correct that if he puts up solid FF WR2 numbers owners will be tempted to keep him, that’s really a decision specific to a team’s WR depth.

In my 16-team league he’s my WR4 ahead of Mooney, and thus likely a hold in that scenario. In my 12-team rebuild he’s my WR4/5 behind AJB, ARSB, Higgins, Bateman - if he can fetch me a 2024 1st with a hot start, I’d be very tempted to do that.

He’s still a very young player though. There’s potential upside.

Still has to dodge a FA WR bullet, so all of this might be moot by the time we get to the season.

Users who are viewing this thread