What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Drake London, ATL (2 Viewers)

Pro Football Focus ranks USC Drake Lonodn as the top receiver.

There are so many interesting WR prospects coming out of this year's draft and some mock drafts have them ranked in different positions. In the latest PFF position rankings, they believe the receiver out of USC is best. London (6'5/210) was on pace to have an amazing as he racked up 1.084 receiving yards and seven touchdowns in eight games before a season-ending ankle injury. With his height and route-running ability, he's getting compared to two talented receivers in Mike Evans and Tee Higgins. PFF currently has him going at No. 10.

SOURCE: PFF

Feb 25, 2022, 6:02 PM ET

I like London. He’s got good wingspan & reportedly runs good routes.

For all the hype & comparisons to Mike Evans, folks need to slow their roll a little. I don’t think that comp works at all - he’s a beanpole at 6’5” 210

I’m not saying he can’t gain 20+ lbs of muscle, because hey, maybe he can. But until he does, he’s not the next Mike Evans.

Underwear Olympics numbers will tell us more,  but top WR in the 2022 draft? Not so sure about that one. 

I’m taking everything with a big grain of salt this time of year. This seems to be the period that every rookie coming out is hyped up ahead of the draft. 

In an article published by The Athletic's Ted Nguyen, former USC WR Drake London's height is discussed as potential concern.

In the article, Nguyen highlights that wide receivers at or around London's (6'5/210) have struggled to stay relevant in the league. Nguyen points out the importance of the 40-yard dash for London, and how receivers of his height ideally need to run somewhere in the 4.5 range or better. Nguyen analyzes several aspects of London's game and points out the physical traits that could work for him or against him at the next level. London posted an impressive receiving line of 88-1084-7 in just eight games in his final year at USC. A fractured ankle derailed what would have otherwise been an impressive season, but London likely worked himself into first round territory for this spring's draft.

SOURCE: The Athletic

Feb 26, 2022, 7:34 PM ET

USC WR Drake London is one of the most talked-about prospects in the 2022 NFL Draft for good reason.

London (6'5/210) will be one of the more sought-after players at his position when April rolls around. He put together a good body of work as one of the more impressive parts of an otherwise USC Trojans team in 2021 and leads in multiple categories, according to Pro Football Focus. He's first among Pac-12 receivers in catches (121), receiving yards (1,586), contested catches (23), forced missed tackles (36), and catches of 15+ yards (36) since 2020.

Feb 27, 2022, 1:59 PM ET

Last edited by a moderator:
FMIA: NFL Combine Prep Begins With These 5 Truths About The ’22 Draft; TV Broadcaster Money Turns Crazy

Excerpt:

While we talked Saturday night, Jeremiah sent me two video clips of receivers in this draft. One was of his favorite wideout in the draft, Ohio State’s Garrett Wilson. The other was from a basketball dunk by another receiver he’s smitten, USC’s Drake London.

“Check your phone,” Jeremiah said. “I texted you the Drake London dunk.”

BTI Basketball Club @BTIHoops

BTI Alum Drake London’s ridiculous 540 dunk on Saturday has now had over two million views.This dunk was sick as well! The USC Trojan signee had an amazing season senior season in both basketball & football @ Moorpark HS ⁦@USC_Hoops⁩ ⁦@uscfootball⁩ ⁦@MHS_Hoops⁩

https://twitter.com/btihoops/status/1110222338891485185?s=21

Is it just me, or could Drake London compete in the NBA dunk contest? The 6-foot-5 London played on the Trojans basketball team as a college frosh. That’s a ridiculously athletic and power-strong dunk, and it’s indicative of the kind of player Jeremiah thinks London will be in the NFL. Before his season ended last October with a broken ankle, London had 88 catches in eight games, for 136 yards, on average, per game. He led college football with 19 contested catches, per Pro Football Focus. He’s coming back from the ankle injury but should be okay for his first training camp in late July.

“The funny thing is, I’ve had conversations—it’s a glass half-full, glass half-empty thing,” Jeremiah said. “I’ve had conversations with teams that really love Drake London and they’ll say, man, he’s got so many contested catches! And then I’ve talked to teams that aren’t as high on him and they go, you know it’s all contested catches. He doesn’t separate. You take the exact same nugget, the exact same stat, some people love it, some people hate it. I tend to fall in the camp of loving what he does there.”

London looks like Terrell Owens in some of his tape, a big man who never met contact he doesn’t like.

Once again, I disagree with this comp. Terrell Owens was 6’3”, 224 - he was absolute built. 

Drake is 6’5”, 210 - 2” taller & 14 lbs lighter. 

Combine can’t get here soon enough. 
Owens makes a lot more sense than Evans as a comp but its still not really great. It wouldn't surprise me if London got up to 220 or so. He's still only 20. 

I like Brandon Marshall as a high-end comp, though obviously with less off field drama. 

London is my favorite WR(Williams ACL tear pushed him out of that spot) in this class, having said that, he would be behind Chase and both Smith and Waddle from a year ago. He's a better prospect than Tee Higgins was in my opinion, though he's highly unlikely to end up in as good of a spot as he did. 

Owens makes a lot more sense than Evans as a comp but its still not really great. It wouldn't surprise me if London got up to 220 or so. He's still only 20. 

I like Brandon Marshall as a high-end comp, though obviously with less off field drama. 

London is my favorite WR(Williams ACL tear pushed him out of that spot) in this class, having said that, he would be behind Chase and both Smith and Waddle from a year ago. He's a better prospect than Tee Higgins was in my opinion, though he's highly unlikely to end up in as good of a spot as he did. 
I like Tee Higgins more than Drake. 

i also currently have him behind Wilson, Burks, and maybe Olave, too. 

Being 6’5” is a nice attribute, but the other guys seem like a more complete package in a receiver-rich draft. 

Again, the combine will tell me a lot. I want to see what kind of speed Drake has, and hear more analysis of his game tape. 

I currently have him ranked #3 in this class, behind Wilson and Burks.  That could change because people are ignoring some Burks warts.  I posted in the Burks thread Matt Waldman's take on Burks (see 34:56 mark) that have opened my eyes.  Not that Waldman is the be all, but the more information you have the better.  I really like London's ability off the line and the way he can go up and snatch the ball.  The plays I've watched show him using his hands rather than his body when he catches the ball and I always like that.  Plus he should have good YAC numbers.

The 1a to Wilson’s 1b for me.  Can’t wait to see how he performs this week.  I think his numbers are going to surprise people.

Once again, I disagree with this comp. Terrell Owens was 6’3”, 224 - he was absolute built. 

Drake is 6’5”, 210 - 2” taller & 14 lbs lighter. 

Combine can’t get here soon enough. 
You're looking at Owens listed weight as a NFL player (well into his career). His combine weigh in was 213.

Height comes down a bit, weight goes up. 6'4" 220 is a lot different than 6'5" 210. Not that 6'5", 210 was really a knock on him for anyone but Hot Sauce Guy, really, but that potential knock is no longer. 

Height comes down a bit, weight goes up. 6'4" 220 is a lot different than 6'5" 210. Not that 6'5", 210 was really a knock on him for anyone but Hot Sauce Guy, really, but that potential knock is no longer. 
That size heading into the NFL is attractive.

You're looking at Owens listed weight as a NFL player (well into his career). His combine weigh in was 213.
He also bulked up quite a bit during his playing days. 

And he’s 2” shorter. 

to me, if he isn’t fast, his best touted attribute won’t be as relevant. “Contested catch” is what I keep seeing about him. He doesn’t get a ton of praise for his route running, so it’ll be interesting to see how he performs at the combine for speed & agility. 

USC WR Drake London will hold his own personal pro day before the draft.I

London was one of the notable missing players from the combine as he continues to recover from his season-ending ankle injury. We now know when we’ll see him  show off his skills as he will be skipping the USC pro day on March 23rd and instead conduct his own personal pro day for scouts and a coaches on April 5th. This will allow him a little more time to recover and prepare, which is certainly important as he’s projected to possibly be the first wide receiver taken in the draft. As the other wide receivers put up some good numbers at combine and have improved their draftstock, London wants to be ready if he wants to keep that top spot. 

SOURCE: Dan Graziano

Mar 5, 2022, 2:49 PM ET

BetOnline lists USC WR Drake London as having the best odds to be the first wide receiver taken

London's (6'5/210) odds being set at -130 is somewhat a surprise as his odds yesterday (Monday) were at +500. London still wasn't healthy enough to participate at the combine but will hold a personal pro day in April to prove his athleticism and speed are good enough to succeed in the NFL. This receiver class is a very unique one, as there is a diverse range of skillsets. If teams are in search of a prototypical X-receiver, they won't find a better option than London.

SOURCE: Jamie Eisner

Mar 8, 2022, 10:48 PM ET

According to Pro Football Focus, Drake London is the highest-graded wide receiver from USC since 2014.

We've seen many of the top-graded receivers test their skills at the combine, but  London (6'5/210) was missing as he recovers from an ankle injury. Most experts are very high on him as they put him as the first receiver taken in the draft. Pro Football Focus also believes in his talent as he was given a grade of 91.3, the highest for a receiver from USC since 2014. The Trojans have had some good prospects in that time including JuJu Smith-Schuster and Michael Pittman. It's a guarantee that London will be the first USC wide receiver taken in the first round since 2005 and if he has a good pro day, should be the first one taken off the board.

SOURCE: PFF College

Mar 12, 2022, 7:09 PM ET

He also bulked up quite a bit during his playing days. 

And he’s 2” shorter. 

to me, if he isn’t fast, his best touted attribute won’t be as relevant. “Contested catch” is what I keep seeing about him. He doesn’t get a ton of praise for his route running, so it’ll be interesting to see how he performs at the combine for speed & agility. 
Wait

At the combine Owens was 6' 3" and 213 pounds

London was 6'3.5" and 218 pounds

ETA: I don't get the 2" taller and 14 pounds lighter take

Wait

At the combine Owens was 6' 3" and 213 pounds

London was 6'3.5" and 218 pounds

ETA: I don't get the 2" taller and 14 pounds lighter take
Wait

All reports were that London was 6’5”, 210. Every one. 

At the time of my post there was nothing putting him at 218 or 6’ 3.5”.

Even a Google search shows him At 6’ 5”, 210 currently. 

Maybe you get it now? 
:shrug:  

So did he shrink 1.5” and gain 8 lbs? 

Hard to know what’s accurate since he didn’t work out at the combine or do any drills. 

I like

London

. He’s got good wingspan & reportedly runs good routes.

For all the hype & comparisons to

Mike Evans

, folks need to slow their roll a little. I don’t think that comp works at all - he’s a beanpole at 6’5” 210

I’m not saying he can’t gain 20+ lbs of muscle, because hey, maybe he can. But until he does, he’s not the next  Mike Evans

Underwear Olympics numbers will tell us more,  but top WR in the 2022 draft? Not so sure about that one. 

I’m taking everything with a big grain of salt this time of year. This seems to be the period that every rookie coming out is hyped up ahead of the draft. 

Yeah, I'm a little 'slow your roll' myself on him.

Wait

All reports were that London was 6’5”, 210. Every one. 

At the time of my post there was nothing putting him at 218 or 6’ 3.5”.

Even a Google search shows him At 6’ 5”, 210 currently. 

Maybe you get it now? 
:shrug:  

So did he shrink 1.5” and gain 8 lbs? 

Hard to know what’s accurate since he didn’t work out at the combine or do any drills. 
The measurements (height, weight) are the one thing you can be sure about at the combine.

The measurements (height, weight) are the one thing you can be sure about at the combine.
I’m actually concerned if he really weighed in at 218 since he’s been slow to recover from his injury. 

Being 6’ 3.5” and fat isn’t better than being 6’ 5” 210

Maybe that’s why he didn’t run. 

I’m actually concerned if he really weighted in at 218 since he’s been slow to recover from his injury. 

Being 6’ 3.5” and fat isn’t better than being 6’ 5” 210

Maybe that’s why he didn’t run. 
He's not fat. I am sure he knew he wasn't running due to his injury and made efforts to weigh  on the high end. The biggest concerns around him were being slow and being too slight. He wasn't able to answer the first question but he was able to answer the 2nd. If he plays faster at say 212, he will be able to get there easily. He's a 21 year old football/basketball stand out, he can shed 5-8 pounds in the blink of an eye. 

He's not fat. I am sure he knew he wasn't running due to his injury and made efforts to weigh  on the high end. The biggest concerns around him were being slow and being too slight. He wasn't able to answer the first question but he was able to answer the 2nd. If he plays faster at say 212, he will be able to get there easily. He's a 21 year old football/basketball stand out, he can shed 5-8 pounds in the blink of an eye. 
It’s true, but he needs to show agility as well as speed. 

He’s been described as an ok route runner - most of the receivers being discussed in the top 5 this year are well above average to excellent.

I’m reserving judgement until I see his 40 time & agility drills results. He’s getting too much hype for my tastes until then.

And this is a dude I was very high on coming into this draft. 

No doubt he has good contested catch ability, but at first glance he sure seems lumbering on the field. I would be shocked if he was the first receiver off the board.
See, that’s what I keep hearing too as his main selling point. 

And I keep reading that contested catch ability is the least likely to translate the NFL - the caliber of defensive backs is so much better in the NFL, and that attribute alone shouldn’t elevate him above the others.

He needs to run a sub 4.5 40, and show that he can run routes. Those attributes combined with his height (apparently he’s shrinking) and contested catch ability would make him a special player. 

Contested catch alone would make him vastly overrated. 

See, that’s what I keep hearing too as his main selling point. 

And I keep reading that contested catch ability is the least likely to translate the NFL - the caliber of defensive backs is so much better in the NFL, and that attribute alone shouldn’t elevate him above the others.

He needs to run a sub 4.5 40, and show that he can run routes. Those attributes combined with his height (apparently he’s shrinking) and contested catch ability would make him a special player. 

Contested catch alone would make him vastly overrated. 
Stop with the height thing. He isn't "apparently shrinking" and it's a moot point. Universities always publish exaggerations of physical attributes.  You should know not to trust numbers coming from the colleges and universities.

Stop with the height thing. He isn't "apparently shrinking" and it's a moot point. Universities always publish exaggerations of physical attributes.  You should know not to trust numbers coming from the colleges and universities.
I don’t trust anything lately with this dude though. There’s a lot of mixed info. Most of the prospects tested at the combine were true to their listed height. Not London though. 

and all due respect, it’s hardly a moot point. 

Is he a 6’5” beanpole and that’s why he’s a desirable asset?

Or is he 6’ 3.5” & thick? 

At some point we need to know his true attributes, and it’s a bummer he didn’t run at the combine. 

I don’t trust anything lately with this dude though. There’s a lot of mixed info. Most of the prospects tested at the combine were true to their listed height. Not London though. 

At some point we need to know his true attributes, and it’s a bummer he didn’t run at the combine. 
Neither. 6’3.5 and 218 isn’t thick. He’s a tall, long WR. Think Larry Fitzgerald. He’s not as smooth though so I agree there is some concern. Why are you saying he needs to run sub 4.5? He’s almost surely not going to but neither did Fitzgerald or Hopkins who are both physical contested catch players. 

You ever jump on the scale first thing in the morning and again before bed?

8 lbs on a 6'4" (compromise) frame is nothing.

Bleacher Report's Connor Rogers compared USC WR Drake London to former SMU WR Courtland Sutton.

Unlike the days of yesteryear, there aren't a lot of receivers that are 6'5" and big-bodied in today's game. When you find one that has enough requisite athleticism to shine, it's an insanely dangerous weapon. London (6'5/210) is that player, able to maximize his body and length while being able to move well in space. The comparison to Sutton is a nice call from Rogers, as they have a similar body composition and know how to snatch the football out of midair. If London can enter the league with the same success, that will be a great selection.

SOURCE: Connor Rogers

Mar 20, 2022, 6:57 PM ET

Faust said:
Bleacher Report's Connor Rogers compared USC WR Drake London to former SMU WR Courtland Sutton.
He's #3 overall on a B/R I was reading yesterday while using the Draft Simulator to see what transpires and if London is all that and a bag of chips, some team is going to get a great set of hands or maybe is smart enough to pair this WR with one they have already....Philly has the best selections to burn one on this guy and see what he can produce opposite the Slim Reaper, he would make an excellent No 2 and help Philly continue to assess Jalen Hurts and plot their next move. 

Not exactly a glowing endorsement IMO.  Not that I agree with his take.
I get it but I think Sutton has performed admirably considering the team, coach & QBs he has played with.

This season will reveal a lot.

Seriously considering this guy in a startup right now. Vs Amon-Ra and a bunch of other good names on the board.
I took London. 7.03 SF draft. After Burks and Wilson (1st WR). I like Amon-Ra a lot actually but London is a beast and is going to go in the 1st round somewhere. It could *easily* be Detroit.

I get it but I think Sutton has performed admirably considering the team, coach & QBs he has played with.

This season will reveal a lot.
Might be a hot take, but I think Sutton is as good or better than DK Metcalf, he just hasn't had a QB who can take advantage of it of late. I truly don't believe Wilson's WR group is worse in Denver than it was in Seattle. 

I also wonder where Sutton's perception would be without the ACL tear. He was looking well on his way to being a top-10 WR before that. 

Anyway, I don't think its a great comparison for London style wise, but quality of player wise, I'd be fine with it if I were investing in London. I'd just hope he ends up with someone better than Drew Lock. 

You ever jump on the scale first thing in the morning and again before bed?

8 lbs on a 6'4" (compromise) frame is nothing.
Fair. I’m not sure I’ve ever taken an 8 lb poop before, but point taken.

I’m less concerned about his height/weight as I am that if he doesn’t run great routes & isn’t a 4.5 40 or better, he may struggle to get separation in the NFL. His numbers against weak Pac12 competition are impressive, but a lot of hyperbolic comps to guys like Mike Evans & VJax (& now Sutton) seem to be driving his price up a lot in FF circles.

Looking forward to seeing the results from his pre-draft workout. 

If anybody cares in my startup I took him right after D Smith and right before Pittman. In the same neighborhood were Amon-Ra, as mentioned, went 5 picks after me. Carter, Mitchell, Spiller, Nuk, Burks and Goedert/Mac Jones/G Wilson/Walker coming up before my pick. Freiermuth was inthere. SF Te premium. Guess that shouldn't be too big of a surprise - the 1st rookie WRs always go around the 6th/7th in startups.

And to be clear, I’m in no way a London hater. I was looking closely at him before I dealt the 1.08 away, because at the time he was in the realistic realm of picks I’d get there.

I just like a lot of the WRs in this year’s draft more - they all have warts, as they say, but speed & route-running translates well. Size always seems to get a lot of buzz, but i fear some of the hype with London. 

travdogg said:
Might be a hot take, but I think Sutton is as good or better than DK Metcalf, he just hasn't had a QB who can take advantage of it of late. I truly don't believe Wilson's WR group is worse in Denver than it was in Seattle. 

I also wonder where Sutton's perception would be without the ACL tear. He was looking well on his way to being a top-10 WR before that. 

Anyway, I don't think its a great comparison for London style wise, but quality of player wise, I'd be fine with it if I were investing in London. I'd just hope he ends up with someone better than Drew Lock. 
I'm not sure Sutton is better than Metcalf, who has freakish measurables (4.33 speed to 4.54 for Sutton and Metcalf also has ~20lbs on Sutton) but I do think the receiving corps in Denver overall is comparable to what Wilson had in Seattle if not better.  Seattle didn't go three deep with a guy like Patrick. The running game should also be more consistent if not outright better unless Penny somehow miraculously survives 17 games on a feature back workload.

London may last until Seattle's pick but I don't see the Seahawks taking him even if he is available. Too many other needs.

Users who are viewing this thread