What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Denzel Mims, NYJ (2 Viewers)

That's very cool, risk free. Though also not a good sign that literally nobody else wanted him.
I’m not sure that’s true though. Clearly the Lions believed that at least 1 other team wanted him, no?
I guess he’s saying no other team stepped up to pay more. Honestly with a guy that’s caught 19 passes the last two seasons that’s going to be released- no team was going to offer much more than that. Detroit probably just wanted to not let him hit the market. Other teams gambled they could wait.

This guy can't even line up correctly. He got constantly flagged for illegal motion and other such penalties to the point that the Jets couldn't have him on the field.

Yes, the Jets passing game was a mess. Yes, he has oodles of physical talent.

But,

He can't even count guys on the line of scrimmage
He gets hurt with practically every tackle
He doesn't run really crisp or strong routes -- he rounds them off
He doesn't seem to have the greatest attitude -- or he's just sort of dumb

There's a reason that this guy is available for almost nothing

Nobody wanted this guy to succeed more than I did. I took him 2.04 in a draft and he played for my favorite team.

This guy just never got it. Maybe he will with a change of scenery, but all signs point to "no." Guys don't come back from being buried like this very often. Usually there's a reason they were buried in the first place. Now, that doesn't mean everyone, but the likelihood is small that this guy succeeds in the NFL.

I'm stunned anyone even gave a 6th/7th pick swap for him. This tells you exactly how hurting the Lions are at WR. Amazingly, they must miss Chark. That was the signing that should have happened. Chark was 5 million to Carolina who won't even use him correctly and has a rookie QB. I wonder who is advising DJ or exactly what they think of him in the pros. For him to get that 1 yr./10 million dollar deal from Detroit while KC opened up the bank for Valdes-Scantling is revealing.

Maybe DJ needs a better team around him in other aspects of the game besides football.

I'm stunned anyone even gave a 6th/7th pick swap for him. This tells you exactly how hurting the Lions are at WR. Amazingly, they must miss Chark. That was the signing that should have happened. Chark was 5 million to Carolina who won't even use him correctly and has a rookie QB. I wonder who is advising DJ or exactly what they think of him in the pros. For him to get that 1 yr./10 million dollar deal from Detroit while KC opened up the bank for Valdes-Scantling is revealing.

Maybe DJ needs a better team around him in other aspects of the game besides football.
Conditional swap. lol

Amon-Ra St. Brown and Jameson Williams are sidelined right now with injuries, so this would have been a perfect opportunity for Denzel Mims to show something to his new team that a change of scenery would pay off in terms of making some kind of contribution.

Instead we have this:

Lions HC Dan Campbell said, “He’s in the room. Wish I could give you more,” when asked about Denzel Mims and the state of the Lions’ receiver room.
Tell us how you really feel, Dan. The expectations for Mims were low heading into camp after the Lions acquired him in exchange for a conditional 2025 sixth-round pick, but it sounds like the former second-round pick is struggling in camp — to say the least. An already thin receiver room could be enough to keep Mims from getting cut by camp’s end, but Campbell’s quote was yet another “down bad” moment for a receiver who has struggled to live up to his high draft capital.

Amon-Ra St. Brown and Jameson Williams are sidelined right now with injuries, so this would have been a perfect opportunity for Denzel Mims to show something to his new team that a change of scenery would pay off in terms of making some kind of contribution.

Instead we have this:

Lions HC Dan Campbell said, “He’s in the room. Wish I could give you more,” when asked about Denzel Mims and the state of the Lions’ receiver room.
Tell us how you really feel, Dan. The expectations for Mims were low heading into camp after the Lions acquired him in exchange for a conditional 2025 sixth-round pick, but it sounds like the former second-round pick is struggling in camp — to say the least. An already thin receiver room could be enough to keep Mims from getting cut by camp’s end, but Campbell’s quote was yet another “down bad” moment for a receiver who has struggled to live up to his high draft capital.
He obviously has a way of rubbing coaching staffs the wrong way. You can see the talent, but he’s just not a good football player.

I thought it was a good trade to see if they could get something out of him. I thought it was conditional and not really much wagered. At this rate he may not even make the team,,,if that were the case did the Lions lose anything?

I thought it was a good trade to see if they could get something out of him. I thought it was conditional and not really much wagered. At this rate he may not even make the team,,,if that were the case did the Lions lose anything?
I know it helps me cut down my roster...

...in a league where I really need WRs. :cry:

I think this report may have been drastically misinterpreted.

Are we sure “in the room” isn’t a good thing?

Like “in da house”

?

Maybe “room” is a new term for “place where mastery of the route tree has been achieved”

part of me was hopeful that mims would do something, justifying the jets not horribly wasting their 5,671st 1st or 2nd round draft pick. but alas, he just can’t play, so the jets scouts were once again horribly wrong, wasting a premium pick.

elijah moore is now on the clock, fighting against the curse of the nyj 2nd round wr.

This guy wound up being the chucklehead we thought he was when he trashed Philadelphia (the entire city) after a visit.

Rubbed coaches the wrong way. Never could even line up correctly. Took motion and illegal formation penalties when he miraculously got into the game. Was not hard-nosed in deed or reaction to hits. Decent blocker and willing, but that's about it.

Just a bust so far. I drafted this guy at 2.04 one rookie draft thanks to certain evaluations (rolls eyes skyward and refuses to name names) of his talent, but those were glaringly wrong, namely because there's no way to get a grip on a guy's mental make-up.

And his was never good, and hasn't been so far. I always hesitate to throw dirt on a guy's career too soon, but this would appear to be a case where it's warranted.

Now Ian Rappaport is stating that Detroit actually thought he was good, but that he was hurt and that other teams might be interested. I have no idea where the truth lies in this postulation. Was Mims hurt? Was the injury settlement just a way to get rid of him? What does it all mean?

Keep an eye out for developments. I'll believe it when I see him in uniform and playing meaningful time on Sundays.

Users who are viewing this thread