What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Denzel Mims, NYJ (1 Viewer)

Training Camp Buzz: Jets 'absolutely not' giving up on second-year WR Denzel Mims

Excerpt:

Jets wide receiver Denzel Mims has been lost in the conversation in New York but coach Robert Saleh put the kibosh on any speculation surrounding the second-year wide receiver on Wednesday. Saleh made it a point to say the Jets are "absolutely not" giving up on last year's second-round pick, via SNY's Ralph Vacchiano. The rumor mill speculated about Mims' rotation in the WR depth chart thanks to the free-agent signing of Corey Davis and the glowing reviews of rookie Elijah Moore all summer, and his absence from OTAs may've shifted the hearsay into a higher gear. Speaking with the media on Wednesday, Mims revealed a case of food poisoning in the spring forced 20 pounds off his 6-foot-3 frame, going from 217 to 197 pounds, according to ESPN's Rich Cimini. Mims says the bad salmon he ate forced his absence during OTAs and prompted a rough preparation for Year 2 that would soon be cluttered with unfounded speculation. Feeling good now, he says, Mims could be seen working with the first-team offense this week and is putting in the extra work after practice as he heads into a competitive preseason within the WR room. "That's something I choose to do," Mims said. "You don't have to catch extra balls, but I want to get extra time so that I can be ready."

This is some preseason rollercoaster ride. Mims doesn't deserve this much of my attention, yet I'm hooked like season 1 of Game of Thrones. 

He lost 20 lbs because of bad salmon? 

That’s some serious food poisoning. 😳

I hope he recovers fully. Guess he was never in the doghouse. Rootin for the kid now - that’s some crap luck. 

The roller coaster continues. 

He lost 20 lbs because of bad salmon? 

That’s some serious food poisoning. 😳

I hope he recovers fully. Guess he was never in the doghouse. Rootin for the kid now - that’s some crap luck. 

The roller coaster continues. 
Two weeks of puking because of one bad salmon.  That's got to be some kind of record right?   Normally I'm better the next morning, or if I'm lucky after the first round of puking.

Two weeks of puking because of one bad salmon.  That's got to be some kind of record right?   Normally I'm better the next morning, or if I'm lucky after the first round of puking.
It said he had an infection, Salmonella is very likely the result and can leave you horizontal for a week or more.

Yeah that is pretty brutal. I got a real nasty case of food poisoning about a month ago, easily the worst I've ever had. I got sick Monday morning but even then by Friday I was back to eating normally. 

@foxco

Denzel Mims played on the kickoff coverage team and was the sixth Jets wide receiver to enter the game in the first week of preseason action.

Camp reports have indicated Mims could even be on the roster bubble, and it certainly looked that way in the Jets' preseason opener against the Giants. Five Jets wideouts – Corey Davis, Keelan Cole, Jamison Crowder, Vyncint Smith, and Jeff Smith – entered the game before Mims. A second-round pick just one year ago, Mims is not fantasy-relevant right now.

SOURCE: Connor Hughes on Twitter

Aug 14, 2021, 11:13 PM ET

Denzel Mims caught 1-of-1 target for 40 yards in the Jets' Week 1 loss to the Panthers.

Mims didn't even see the field until the Jets' final drive of the game, on a desperate fourth down attempt. The Jets converted on that play by going to Braxton Berrios, but Zach Wilson connected with Mims for 40 yards on the following play. Even still, Mims is completely off the fantasy radar and can be left on waivers in redraft leagues.

Sep 12, 2021, 6:26 PM ET

Yep, Mims needs a trade.   He will probably get moved for a 6th or 7th a year or two too late when his confidence is completely shot.

I had to give him up in my 12-team / 24-man dynasty.    RB lotto tickets like Tony Jones, Alex Collins, Herbert, and Kylin Hill had more appeal.   Also, gave the edge to Dyami Brown and DPJ (momentarily) at the receiver position, though both of those are probably just as unlikely to matter in 2021.

FWIW, I still believe that he should be rostered in a 12-team / 24-man roster league that knows what it's doing with end-of-bench stashes.  Gabriel Davis, Amari Rodgers, DPJ, Nico Collins, Quez Watkins, and Quintez Cephus were all available on waivers.   If I had the spot, I think Davis is the only one I would have preferred.

Jets declared WR Denzel Mims inactive for Week 2 against the Patriots.

A straight-line speedster with no special teams value, Mims finds himself as a healthy scratch under the new coaching staff. Mims played three snaps in Week 1, catching his lone target for 40 yards. He reportedly “destroyed” the starting defense on the scout team in practice this week. Maybe the Jets are trying to drum up trade interest.

Sep 19, 2021, 11:28 AM ET

Time to deal him if you're going to pull this garbage, Jets.
Luckily I was able to move him this offseason as a throw in to seal a 1st round pick for 2022. However, I have still been rooting for him and honestly thought I saw some flashes last year. I don't get his issue is. Is he just lazy or have a bad attitude? 

Jets coach Robert Saleh said Denzel Mims was made inactive in Week 2 because he doesn't play special teams.

Saleh noted that his team's fifth receiver needs to play special teams to make the active roster. Mims hasn't played a snap of special teams duties since being drafted by the Jets in the second round. Jeff Smith was kept on New York's gameday roster over Mims in Week 2. Mims won't hold any fantasy value this year and could be on the roster bubble heading into the 2022 season. 

SOURCE: Ralph Vacchiano on Twitter

Sep 20, 2021, 3:39 PM ET

That's funny, because I could have sworn that Mims specifically asked to play special teams in the preseason to head that off at the pass. Perhaps he wasn't very good at it.

This guy runs a 4.3 and had a fine dominator rating. According to most film crankers on Twitter, he did fine in a terrible offense last year. He needs to see the field.

Full disclosure that I roster him in dynasty and drafted him but anybody who knows the thread or the Jets thread knows that. I feel like I'm just mucking up the thread saying it. The real point of this is that I'm sure I read an article about him and special teams in the preseason. Either the coach is CYA'ing his own rear, or he's CYA'ing Mims's. Considering Saleh seems like a player coach, I think something might be up.

Jets head coach Robert Saleh said WR Denzel Mims will be a game-time call for Week 3. 

Mims isn't injured and reportedly had a good week of practice. Having fallen behind Keelan Cole and Braxton Berrios in the team's wideout pecking order, Mims' lack of special teams usage could keep him inactive for much of the 2021 season. It's a remarkable fall for a second-round wideout who flashed as a rookie, catching 23 passes for 357 yards (15.5 yards per catch) in eight starts. 

SOURCE: Ralph Vacchiano on Twitter 

Sep 24, 2021, 10:57 AM ET

NFL Network's Mike Garafolo reports "it sounds like" WR Denzel Mims will be inactive for Week 3 against the Broncos.

Mims, who was inactive for the first time last week, looks headed for another healthy scratch. The Jets don't view Mims as one of their top three wideouts and lack of special teams value has kept him off the gameday roster. Garafolo notes the Jets "still believe in Mims" and have turned down recent trade offers. The Jets will go with Keelan Cole, Braxton Berrios, and Jeff Smith as their sub-package wideouts if Mims is inactive this week.

SOURCE: NFL Network

Sep 25, 2021, 12:49 PM ET

Do we know if he’s fully back from his food poisoning earlier in the year? Considering the severity he might need some more time to get back to form. Would explain why they’re not interested in trading him away, just weird the coaches wouldn’t use that as excuse.

Jets head coach Robert Saleh said Denzel Mims will be active in Week 4 against the Titans. 

Mims has that going for him, which is nice. Elijah Moore (concussion) will miss Week 4, forcing New York to use Mims. Mims has one catch on one target this season -- back in Week 1 against Carolina. His lack of special teams involvement has prevented the team from activating him in two of their three games. Probably he won't see many snaps this week against the Titans as the fourth or fifth receiver in the Jets' pecking order. The 2020 second round pick can remain on the waiver wire in all formats. 

SOURCE: Connor Hughes on Twitter 

Oct 1, 2021, 10:54 AM ET

The New York Post's Brian Costello reports the Jets have consistently told teams "no" when asked about acquiring WR Denzel Mims.

It's an odd position to have considering the Jets just recently used Mims out of necessity sans Corey Davis (hip) in Week 8. The sophomore still has only 6/109 receiving on nine targets across five appearances under Robert Saleh, consistently playing behind Jamison Crowder, Keelan Cole, Elijah Moore, Davis, and even Braxton Berrios this year. A second-half breakout, while amazing if it were to happen, is not expected for Mims this year. 

SOURCE: Brian Costello on Twitter

Nov 2, 2021, 3:02 PM ET

Jets head coach Robert Saleh said Denzel Mims (COVID-19) is "in doubt" for Week 11. 

With seven catches on 14 targets this season, it doesn't matter all that much for fantasy purposes. Corey Davis, Elijah Moore, and Keelan Cole will operate as Joe Flacco's primary wideouts this week against the Dolphins. 

SOURCE: Rich Cimini on Twitter

Nov 19, 2021, 11:04 AM ET

Jets activated Denzel Mims (COVID-19) on Wednesday.

Mims has an opportunity of real playing time against the Eagles. Corey Davis remains out of practice, and Keelan Cole will miss Week 13 with Covid. As a result, Mims is likely to play on the outside in 3WR sets. He looks like a dart throw FLEX option against the Eagles. Although, he will likely return to irrelevance as soon as Davis and Cole return to action.

Dec 1, 2021, 12:31 PM ET

This dude worth an off-season stash? I know some teams were interested in trading for him this tasty but the Jets wouldn’t budge. Think someone will come looking again? 

Last edited by a moderator:
This dude with an off-season stash? I know some teams were interested in trading for him this tasty but the Jets wouldn’t budge. Think someone will come looking again? 
I imagine they'll try to shop him, but I see the most likely case is that no one wants to give up draft picks for him and the Jets will release him. Could end up in a decent situation, but I just see him as another guy who showed a flash of talent, but just not cut out to be a starting WR in the league unless injuries befall players ahead of him.

My question is why don’t they trade him? The guy has talent
I think you're right. I don't know why they don't trade him. He seems to be in someone's doghouse, though you earn your playing time and he can't even line up right. He drew penalties last year for not knowing how to line up, so it's sort of hard to put him in the game. 

I think you're right. I don't know why they don't trade him. He seems to be in someone's doghouse, though you earn your playing time and he can't even line up right. He drew penalties last year for not knowing how to line up, so it's sort of hard to put him in the game. 
They probably haven't traded him because no one wants to give up anything for him. Teams probably figure either the Jets will cut him and they potentially could get him then (if they wanted). Or perhaps more likely, there are plenty of other WRs in the draft that can do as much - if not more - than what he has (or hasn't) shown. 

They probably haven't traded him because no one wants to give up anything for him. Teams probably figure either the Jets will cut him and they potentially could get him then (if they wanted). Or perhaps more likely, there are plenty of other WRs in the draft that can do as much - if not more - than what he has (or hasn't) shown. 
I think other GMs remarked they were inquiring about him last year, because they saw and remarked upon the lack of backing Mims got from the new staff when they first arrived in town. It was said the SF system they were bringing over would exacerbate his trouble with getting the route tree down, never mind to his advantage, and the coaches did nothing to dispel that. So they were inquiring about trades last camp, but none were undertaken. Why that is maybe exactly what you're saying, but there's a whole range of reasons why he wasn't dealt, I think. 

That's all -- you're probably right but there's other things, too. 

I think other GMs remarked they were inquiring about him last year, because they saw and remarked upon the lack of backing by the new staff Mims got when they first arrived in town. It was said the SF system they were bringing over would exacerbate his trouble with getting the route tree even down, never mind to his advantage, and the coaches did nothing to dispel that. So they were inquiring about trades last camp, but none were undertaken. Why that is maybe exactly what you're saying, but there's a whole range of reasons why he wasn't dealt, I think. 

That's all -- you're probably right but there's other things, too.
Fair points - there is probably more behind the scenes than any of us know.

My thought is that it's now not just one, but two, coaching staffs that he has failed to impress. If it were just our old boy Gase, then maybe it's just a chemistry thing. But I trust that if Saleh had no use for him either, I think that Mims is just not cut out to be an effective NFL receiver it despite impressive physical skills. He would be far from the first guy like that to fail to make it.

ESPN's Rich Cimini notes Denzel Mims worked with the second- and third-team offenses on the first day of Jets minicamp Tuesday.

Cimini says Jeff Smith was running ahead of Mims as the WR5 behind Corey Davis, Garrett Wilson, Elijah Moore, and Braxton Berrios. Mims was drawing some early offseason hype on Twitter, but it still appears like he's a deep reserve battling for a roster spot. He also doesn't play special teams, which will hurt his chances of making the team. Mims is probably best suited for a change of scenery this summer.

RELATED: 

Jeff Smith

SOURCE: Rich Cimini on Twitter

Jun 14, 2022, 6:18 PM ET

Users who are viewing this thread