What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Denzel Mims, NYJ (1 Viewer)

Fair points - there is probably more behind the scenes than any of us know.

My thought is that it's now not just one, but two, coaching staffs that he has failed to impress. If it were just our old boy Gase, then maybe it's just a chemistry thing. But I trust that if Saleh had no use for him either, I think that Mims is just not cut out to be an effective NFL receiver it despite impressive physical skills. He would be far from the first guy like that to fail to make it.
Yes, if Jeff Smith is ahead of you on the depth chart, you’re doing something wrong.

What the heck happened to this guy - hoping JD works his magic and can dump him for a 4th rder somehow.  
I think he got sick at some point last season and lost a bunch of weight.  I was a bit of a fan going into last year, but abandoning ship with all the bodies they've brought in.

The Athletic's Joe Person reports the Panthers "have called about Jets WR Denzel Mims."​

Mims showed some promise as a rookie, going for 357 yards in nine games. In his second season, he was completely phased out of the offense. Mims totaled just 133 yards in 2021. If a trade isn't worked out, it's likely that the Jets simply cut him before Week 1. Mims posted a pair of 1,000-yard seasons under Panthers head coach Matt Rhule while both were at Baylor. Carolina is also dangerously thin at receiver behind D.J. Moore and Robbie Anderson. The familiarity makes Carolina an ideal landing spot for Mims, though he will remain off the fantasy radar no matter where he ends up.
RELATED:
SOURCE: Joe Person on Twitter
Aug 26, 2022, 1:12 PM ET

Jets WR Denzel Mims caught 7-of-8 targets for 102 yards and a touchdown in New York's 31-27 victory over the Giants in their preseason finale.​

Asked about his trade request after the game, Mims said he "loves the Jets" and referred questions to his agent. Meanwhile, Robert Saleh called Mims "one of our six best receivers and he’s going to be here as far as I’m concerned." Mims didn't play with the starters and will be an injury contingency pickup at best in fantasy leagues if he stays with the Jets, but perhaps this performance will have potential trade suitors upping their offers.
Aug 28, 2022, 5:29 PM ET

ESPN's Rich Cimini reports Denzel Mims' trade request is "still on the table."​

Those words are actually Mims', who was being questioned in the wake of Elijah Moore's trade demand. Mims has yet to be active through the Jets' first six games. It seems silly that he was never dealt, but it likely means the Jets weren't offered anything better than a conditional Day 3 pick. At that point, you are typically better off holding onto a young player if you believe they possess any upside whatsoever. The Jets seem loath to trade away any projectable young skill talent as they attempt to develop Zach Wilson.
SOURCE: Rich Cimini on Twitter
Oct 20, 2022, 5:37 PM ET

Any chance Mims is a sleeper this week for FF or DFS?

Seems like it might be an interesting time for him - and the Jets would be smart to start him & even feature him a bit if they’re trying to move him at the deadline.

As a shareholder in one dynasty league, I’d sure love to see it.

Also what teams might be a good fit for him? Off the top of my head in no particular order:
• DAL - IMO better than Brown as a WR3
• ATL - if any team in the NFL needs a WR it’s ATL
• LAR - struggling to find a WR3 for 2 seasons since DJax departure - Kupp isn’t going and ARob hasn’t been effective
• Ravens - not ideal for FF managers, but they just signed 35 y/o DJax
• SF - another undesirable spot FF-wise but they could use him on ST, I’m sure, and would find some targets for him on offense. Probably not enough to be FF-relevant.
• Seattle - They don’t have a ton behind DKM & Lockett, and Lockett is getting on in years.
• Green Bay - limping along with Cobb, Watson is hurt, and Doubs has been wildly inconsistent. This is one of the better landing spots, and Mims likely slots in as the WR2 once he has the playbook.
• Bears - they have very little behind Mooney
• Texans - can use all the help they can get on offense
• Tampa Bay - has struggled to keep WRs healthy all year. Would be an immediate upgrade to Gage
• stays with Jets - they deal another WR. :shrug:

Any team I missed?

Seems like it might be an interesting time for him - and the Jets would be smart to start him & even feature him a bit if they’re trying to move him at the deadline.

Also what teams might be a good fit for him? Off the top of my head in no particular order:
• LAR - struggling to find a WR3 for 2 seasons since DJax departure - Kupp isn’t going and ARob hasn’t been effective
• SF - another undesirable spot FF-wise but they could use him on ST, I’m sure, and would find some targets for him on offense. Probably not enough to be FF-relevant.
• Seattle - They don’t have a ton behind DKM & Lockett, and Lockett is getting on in years.
• Green Bay - limping along with Cobb, Watson is hurt, and Doubs has been wildly inconsistent. This is one of the better landing spots, and Mims likely slots in as the WR2 once he has the playbook.
• Tampa Bay - has struggled to keep WRs healthy all year. Would be an immediate upgrade to Gage

Any team I missed?
I like the call on Mims. He's going to be active this week. He looked good in the preseason, but has been a disappointment since being drafted. I picked him up off the waiver wire in a few leagues to see what he does. I love when others spend decent draft capital on a player and they eventually end up on the waiver wire and I get them for free.

Any team I missed?
I like the call on Mims. He's going to be active this week. He looked good in the preseason, but has been a disappointment since being drafted. I picked him up off the waiver wire in a few leagues to see what he does. I love when others spend decent draft capital on a player and they eventually end up on the waiver wire and I get them for free.
My one share is the orphan team I took over on the 16-team dynasty. I’ve been holding & he looked great in the preseason.

6’3, 207, 4.3 40 time

What’s not to like?

Hoping he’s dealt.

Jets holding receivers hostage. Not sure why they don’t unload Mims.
Holding them hostage is a bit hyperbolic. Mims gets his chances to earn playing time and hasn’t seized it. He’s shown flashes on about 3-4 preseason catches and 1-2 NFL catches. If teams made reasonable offers maybe they would have traded him. Right now is a good reason you don’t just give depth away - Mims may be active this week.

Jets holding receivers hostage. Not sure why they don’t unload Mims.
Holding them hostage is a bit hyperbolic. Mims gets his chances to earn playing time and hasn’t seized it. He’s shown flashes on about 3-4 preseason catches and 1-2 NFL catches. If teams made reasonable offers maybe they would have traded him. Right now is a good reason you don’t just give depth away - Mims may be active this week.
The statement was meant to sarcastic. I do understand that teams typically play their best players and there is usually a reason if someone is not active. Mims has a nice physical skill set. I have no idea about his work ethic, route running consistency, attitude, ability to play special teams…etc. There are a lot of factors that go into who plays and who doesn’t. The Jets also have nice depth at that position for the first time in awhile. I think they should trade him if they do not see him as a future contributor and (this is key) someone is willing to pay a fair price for him. If they are getting offered conditional 6th/7th rounders it completely makes sense to keep him as the goal is to have as many good players on roster as you can. From what you have seen of Mims what is your opinion on why he cannot seem to find his way onto the active roster?

From what you have seen of Mims what is your opinion on why he cannot seem to find his way onto the active roster?
From what I’ve seen, I can’t really figure it out. He has shown flashes of talent and has the measurables (I was excited when they drafted him). He did make a few bonehead type plays to go along with those flashes, but obviously he’s inexperienced. This year it’s more a depth issue - Moore, Wilson, Davis and Berrios are all just better than him, and maybe they don’t like his special team contributions so he doesn’t get the WR5 slot.
In the past, I’m not sure really. He’s not a trouble maker and until this off-season he never made a peep about the situation- and even this off-season it was relatively mild.
If they did get a good offer I agree they should take it. Douglas has been a great trader so I’m trusting him on this.

Sometimes people conflate fantasy and NFL (although they’re starting to get closer). NFL teams don’t always trade away depth - depth is a big part of successful teams.

IIRC there were reports from when this regime started that Mims’ skills didn’t translate to the offensive schemes they wanted to run. Whether that meant he couldn’t run timing routes well for a WCO -or- he could/couldn’t translate his skills far better to a different team? :shrug:

IIRC there were reports from when this regime started that Mims’ skills didn’t translate to the offensive schemes they wanted to run. Whether that meant he couldn’t run timing routes well for a WCO -or- he could/couldn’t translate his skills far better to a different team? :shrug:
There is absolutely no good reason why Mims should still be on the Jets after the 2022 NFL trade deadline. Not one.

There is absolutely no good reason why Mims should still be on the Jets after the 2022 NFL trade deadline. Not one.
I would disagree. 1) Teams not offering enough to make it worthwhile to get rid of a talented player. 2) There Is more to the Elijah drama than we know about and there is a possibility he would be moved. 3) Jets are content on keeping their best players on their roster as they value depth.

This is incorrect. Davis is not a paragon of health. And see above. In fact, there's no reason he shouldn't be on the Jets after the 2022 trade deadline unless they get a fourth for him.

The Jets are in no position to jettison receiver depth. Not at the cost that it cost them to acquire it. Makes no sense. Moore was an early two. Mims was a mid-to-late two. Unless you can recoup value for them, it makes every bit of sense to hold them if you're looking at it from an organizational standpoint. Dr. Octopus is exactly right upthread. We're conflating fantasy with reality. The reality is that you don't trade away depth for pennies on the dollar.

I almost said peenies on the dollar. That would be perfect. We won't take peenies for Mims!

NFL Network’s Mike Garofolo reports the Jets plan on releasing WR Denzel Mims if they can’t trade him in the coming weeks.
It comes as little surprise that the Jets are looking to deal Mims before the regular season. The team has a glut of new wideouts that came with Aaron Rodgers and his tour of New York. Mims missed the second half of last season for unknown reasons, and has just 42 receptions over his first three NFL seasons. Garofolo said teams have been in contact with the Jets about acquiring Mims, who has been excused from Jets training camp. An intriguing prospect coming out of college, Mims, entering his age-26 season, could make sense as a wideout depth signing for another team in the next few weeks.

The right move at this point, but the Jets 2nd round WR curse continues.

At least Stephen Hill played one good half of football

CBS Sports’ Josina Anderson reports the Jets and Cowboys “had exploratory talks” regarding a trade for Jets WR Denzel Mims.

For now, Mims remains with the Jets, but a trade/release of the veteran receiver appears imminent at this time. A former second-round pick in the 2020 NFL Draft, Mims’ time with the Jets has been turbulent, to say the least. Once viewed as a receiver who would offer high-end production for years to come, Mims has just 42 catches for 676 yards through three seasons and has become an afterthought in New York’s offense. Regardless of where he lands, Mims is unlikely to have any significant fantasy upside this season.

Cool, need someone to fill Chark's X WR role. Pretty low expectations (I've seen him play) but decent depth. Especially helpful the first 6 weeks while Jamo is suspended.

An aging Marvin Jones Jr, Josh Reynolds, Kalif Raymond....there's def an opportunity for him to prove himself one last time. And his skill set doesn't really overlap with what they have so always nice to get another flavor.

Free at last, thank gof almighty he’s free at last.

He’s still on my 16 team orphan I rebuilt. Really hoping he can carve out a role.

Cool, need someone to fill Chark's X WR role. Pretty low expectations (I've seen him play) but decent depth. Especially helpful the first 6 weeks while Jamo is suspended.

An aging Marvin Jones Jr, Josh Reynolds, Kalif Raymond....there's def an opportunity for him to prove himself one last time. And his skill set doesn't really overlap with what they have so always nice to get another flavor.
He was drafted late in the second round. After he was drafted he said that he had a chip on his shoulder because 12 other WRs were drafted before him.

He was going to be cut but Lions wanted dibs on him first. Trinity Benson deja vu.

I'm eager to see what Mims can do with a change of scenery. Wish the Jets had dealt him at the 2022 Trade Deadline. Kid has potential - ran a 4.38, tall and long, good catch radius, has some mass to him, good run blocker, not a lot of knocks in his draft profile. Lions didn't have to give up much to take a look. Maybe he and ARSB click with the whole chip on his shoulder thing? Hope it works out for him.

I'm eager to see what Mims can do with a change of scenery. Wish the Jets had dealt him at the 2022 Trade Deadline. Kid has potential - ran a 4.38, tall and long, good catch radius, has some mass to him, good run blocker, not a lot of knocks in his draft profile. Lions didn't have to give up much to take a look. Maybe he and ARSB click with the whole chip on his shoulder thing? Hope it works out for him.
He’s very comparable to Chark is build and athleticism. Obviously hasn’t had the actual success DJ has. It’s worth a flier as a Lions fan.

He’s very comparable to Chark is build and athleticism. Obviously hasn’t had the actual success DJ has. It’s worth a flier as a Lions fan.
Exactly the type that's worth a minor pick swap.

I imagine he'll be the #5 WR (Amon-Ra, Jones, Reynolds, Raymond, Mims) to start, but if he shows anything at all, its not a super hard jump to #2 until Jameson is back.

He's a fine cautionary tale. He's Mike Mamula, the inventor of combine training.

6'3, ran 4.38, had a big Senior Bowl and combine, and got over drafted. NFL teams are not immune to hype.

For fun I did a search on Twitter, "Mims Senior Bowl"

I only saw Mike Renner mention that the practice performances didn't match game tape.

Once he ran that 6.66 3-cone, that was it. 1st ballot Draft Season Hall of Famer.

He was drafted late in the second round. After he was drafted he said that he had a chip on his shoulder because 12 other WRs were drafted before him.

He was going to be cut but Lions wanted dibs on him first. Trinity Benson deja vu.

let Brad swing

I imagine he'll be the #5 WR (Amon-Ra, Jones, Reynolds, Raymond, Mims) to start, but if he shows anything at all, its not a super hard jump to #2 until Jameson is back.
If he makes the team

If he makes the team

He hasn’t had the reps to have Chark’s success.

I, too, am interested in seeing what he can do. Would love to see a Chark-esque season.

If he makes the team

That's very cool, risk free. Though also not a good sign that literally nobody else wanted him.

He hasn’t had the reps to have Chark’s success.

I, too, am interested in seeing what he can do. Would love to see a Chark-esque season.
Could be a reason for that too
I don’t know that we ever really got a clear reason. Also that passing offense has been a train wreck virtually his entire career in NY.

Kinda feels like a fresh start is what he’s needed for several years.

Users who are viewing this thread