What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Christian Watson, GB (1 Viewer)

By the way, Love is underthrowing deep balls consistently. He just doesn't throw them well.

he's not a lot better on intermediate throws either

Passing Depth Stats - Jordan Love
  • 20+ yards: 9/35 25.7% 334 1 TD 4 INT
  • 10-19 yards: 24/52 46.2% 397 3 TD 4 INT
  • 0-9 yards: 68/97 70.1% 542 6-0
  • Behind LOS: 34/39 87.2% 220 1-0
It's not even a functional NFL offense rn

gosh that must be really hard, having your QB play poorly

how you holding up?

By the way, Love is underthrowing deep balls consistently. He just doesn't throw them well.

Love is just really bad - Watson getting knocked here but there have been so many times Watson has had several steps on d and love doesn’t even come close. His first game back from injury he had two east long tds and love way under threw one (Watson still caught it but was tackled) then missed him completely.

gosh that must be really hard, having your QB play poorly

how you holding up?
Well BL, I’m old enough to remember some dark days in WI. Rich Campbell. David Whitehurst. Randy Wright. The excitement of Anthony Dilweg’s high Wondelic score (my FIL worked with Dilweg’s grandmother…..one of the first questions I evidently asked my future FIL was “can you ask your friend why her grandson was so bad at football?”).

But no doubt that we’ve been blesses for a long time now.

Not sure why it took so long to dawn on me, but when I cut Watson this week, I'll actually be cutting Jordan Love. So much clarity when looked at that way.

Packers HC Matt LaFleur said the team does not have any long-term concerns about Christian Watson’s (chest, back) injuries).

Watson was injured in the Packers’ Week 9 win over the Rams, and was also evaluated for a concussion. According to LaFleur, Watson was not diagnosed with a concussion, but the team will continue to monitor him for the time being. Barring any setbacks, it sounds like Watson will be on track to play in Week 10 against the Steelers, although we’ll know more when Wednesday’s injury report is released. The second-year receiver has struggled this season, totaling 12 receptions for 213 yards and one touchdown through five games. His longest reception, a 77 yarder, is accounting for 36 percent of his production thus far. He’ll be a WR4 in Week 10 and is best left for deeper leagues.

I dropped him before the games Sunday and he was immediately snatched up. Usually that means the guy will start performing, lol. But if you look at his stat lines this year it's basically one huge play and otherwise nothing but 25-37 yard days. When he's healthy enough to play.

Interesting to see how this goes for Wason's career. Was he just basically James Jones/Allen Lazard/MVS propped up by Rodgers or is this just a snakebitten year in the long career of a very good player?

Interesting to see how this goes for Wason's career. Was he just basically James Jones/Allen Lazard/MVS propped up by Rodgers or is this just a snakebitten year in the long career of a very good player?
Yeah I don't know. Remains to be seen.

So far this year it is looking like the former. People say Rodgers had a down year last season but I don't think there is any question at this point that what he was doing is a lot better than Love.

So far this year it is looking like the former. People say Rodgers had a down year last season but I don't think there is any question at this point that what he was doing is a lot better than Love.
The gap between a down year of a 1st ballot HOF QB and a career backup is pretty wide though.

The gap between a down year of a 1st ballot HOF QB and a career backup is pretty wide though.
I hope it stays that way and somehow Love plays just good enough for the Packers to stick with him for awhile.

Not going to lie I was worried Love would be Favre/Rodgers part 3. Its been a long painful couple of decades here.

I hope it stays that way and somehow Love plays just good enough for the Packers to stick with him for awhile.

Not going to lie I was worried Love would be Favre/Rodgers part 3. Its been a long painful couple of decades here.
As a Lions fan, I also welcome this new reality

Per the FF Newsletter, Watson has only had a single game with 5+ receptions in his career and has never seen more than 8 targets in a game. The very definition of a home run/dart throw player...I bought the hype and drafted too early and he's definitely been a bust. I'm holding out a while longer in case I can flip him after a spike week which unfortunately may never come at this rate. I'll stay away in redraft next season unless GB makes a QB change.

Watson might be a buy low candidate for dynasty just due to his possibly super cheap price. I didn’t buy into the hype coming into this season, but he is a great athlete and I see the talent. He’s had some bad luck with injuries and has a QB that can’t throw the ball accurately. However, I expect the Packers to draft a QB early next draft in 2024. The trade they made at the deadline was quietly telling. They now have a high first round pick, two second round picks, and two third round picks. They have collected a small war chest of draft assets to get a QB next season and I think they’ll pull the trigger.

Redraft: I've given up in '23, that said, this is about the time when he started his '22 run as a rookie
The fact is Love is not a good starting NFL QB and Watson has a ceiling
But I just couldn't carry him any longer this season

He couldn't be worth less, he has to be a cut candidate for many.

Watson might be a buy low candidate for dynasty just due to his possibly super cheap price. I didn’t buy into the hype coming into this season, but he is a great athlete and I see the talent. He’s had some bad luck with injuries and has a QB that can’t throw the ball accurately. However, I expect the Packers to draft a QB early next draft in 2024. The trade they made at the deadline was quietly telling. They now have a high first round pick, two second round picks, and two third round picks. They have collected a small war chest of draft assets to get a QB next season and I think they’ll pull the trigger.
Definitely buy low in dynasty. Great post

I see him as being more of a Gabe Davis type in the future. Probably not a guy who's going to consistently earn at a lot of targets but can do a lot with the handful he gets with the right QB.

Maybe that's being a bit too myopic and he'll blossom as a go-to WR, but it's hard to see anything more right now.

I respect your opinion on this as you definitely have your finger on the pulse of anticipated QB moves next season and your point about the trade deadline moves makes sense.

Packers brass has publicly said they are still evaluating Love so I am not sure that decision is in the can yet. If he does not improve though perhaps they do pull the trigger on a new QB.

Who do you think that QB might be? And will the new QB be the answer?

They could go that route and still not get a good QB. Whoever they do draft will be a rookie and need more time to progress than what they had with Favre, Rodgers and now Love who all got some time to develop before becoming starters.

The problem with Watson cannot completely be laid on Loves ability. I have seen some very catchable balls that Watson has failed to bring in.

I hate the Packers so take my opinions with a grain of salt but I am not sure Watson is a great buy low target. He could be, but there are other things here that all need to click into place for Watson to pay off.

As I've said before I hope Love does just good enough for the Packers to give him another year, but does not improve greatly if they do. They deserve some mediocrity from the position for awhile like every other team has had to deal with.

dropped for a QB2 to manage through Mahomes bye week. Just not worth rostering. By keeping him on my bench he's cost me opportunities to add better players too. just a roster clog at this point.

I respect your opinion on this as you definitely have your finger on the pulse of anticipated QB moves next season and your point about the trade deadline moves makes sense.

Packers brass has publicly said they are still evaluating Love so I am not sure that decision is in the can yet. If he does not improve though perhaps they do pull the trigger on a new QB.

Who do you think that QB might be? And will the new QB be the answer?

They could go that route and still not get a good QB. Whoever they do draft will be a rookie and need more time to progress than what they had with Favre, Rodgers and now Love who all got some time to develop before becoming starters.

The problem with Watson cannot completely be laid on Loves ability. I have seen some very catchable balls that Watson has failed to bring in.

I hate the Packers so take my opinions with a grain of salt but I am not sure Watson is a great buy low target. He could be, but there are other things here that all need to click into place for Watson to pay off.

As I've said before I hope Love does just good enough for the Packers to give him another year, but does not improve greatly if they do. They deserve some mediocrity from the position for awhile like every other team has had to deal with.
As much as I would hate it, I think the Giants end up with the #1 or #2 pick. That’s either Caleb or Maye off the board. Depending on who has the #1 pick, it could be a few teams bidding up for the other not taken at #1, probably Maye. Right now, Green Bay would pick #7. I think they would draft JJ McCarthy if he’s on the board. If not, there are going to be several great QBs hanging around (Penix, Ewers, Nix, Sanders, Daniels, Pratt). This QB class next year is so loaded it might cause some of the juniors that would normally declare a year early stay for their senior year. Either way, hard for me to imagine they make it past round 3 and not take a QB if there is one on the board they like. This is a very deep class. If Arizona decided to keep Kyler and had pick 2, GB might be able to get the #2 pick by swapping their #7 overall, 2025 first, and the two 2024 seconds and two 2024 thirds they have. Jordan Love is super cheap for the team to move off of him and there isn’t a long term commitment.

As far as Watson’s value, it would be a buy low, but it needs to be low. People are starting to put him in a tier with Gabe Davis, Treylon Burks, and Jameson Williams. I would much rather have Watson over all three of those. I would probably have Watson closer to WR 30 overall in dynasty by the end of the season as he should eventually get healthy, maybe have a good week and the players older ahead of him like Ridley, Godwin, Cooper to continue to age going into the 2024 season. With the right QB and his health, I think he could be a fantasy WR2 next season. I don’t think I could say that about Gabe Davis, Burks, or Jameson Williams.

Didn't separate from DB's...doesn't fight for balls it seems either. And Love still forcing it towards him which led to 2 INTs (one that Peterson tipped to the safety...another was just forced when he wasn't open on the last play of the game). Other WRs seem to be performing clearly better than him (Doubs and Reed...probably even Wicks...along with the TE).

Didn't separate from DB's...doesn't fight for balls it seems either. And Love still forcing it towards him which led to 2 INTs (one that Peterson tipped to the safety...another was just forced when he wasn't open on the last play of the game). Other WRs seem to be performing clearly better than him (Doubs and Reed...probably even Wicks...along with the TE).

Exactly. On the INT in the endzone I couldn't help but think if this guy is so fast how come DBs are always in perfect posiiton, running step for step with him? He rarely looks open.

Reed will wind up the best WR on this team.
Not in future seasons
I think Green Bay is going to need a total rebuild on their offense
None of them seem to be great at WR or skill spots of late, Jordan Love stinks, they need a QB, a Top WR, a new RB, some OL upgrades, new Head Coach
They need a complete change of blood at this point
Detroit is ascending, The Bears are going to be launching from the '24 Draft and Minnesota suddenly looks like they are finding some answers
There is no sizzle with the Packers

Not in future seasons
None of them seem to be great at WR or skill spots of late, Jordan Love stinks, they need a QB, a Top WR, a new RB, some OL upgrades, new Head Coach
Detroit is ascending, The Bears are going to be launching from the '24 Draft and Minnesota suddenly looks like they are finding some answers
Lol he's a rookie who's played 9 games in his career so far. And has looked very, very good at times. Pretty sure they'll hold onto him. Can't disagree with most of the other sentiments. Changing QB and systems might set him back a bit, but I'm betting if it's not by the end of 2024, then in 2025 he's going to be the WR1 on that team; firmly ahead of Watson. Just have to wait and see through this roller coaster ride.

Perfect. I dropped him a while back so this makes sense.
Lol, unless you dropped him in dynasty it's not a big loss. This season he'll likely stay a WR3/4 desperate flex play. The offense is just so meh, and Love seems like he's regressing rather than getting better. Reed will get some looks because he tends to run crisp routes and makes himself open, but doubtful they'll be a lot of quality ones. And Doubs still seems to be his first read most times. I do think he has the highest upside of the group for the long term though. I was admittedly very high on him predraft though. I think he's got a similar build and skill set to Diggs, and if he continues improving, I think that could be his ceiling.

Not in future seasons
None of that is happening without a new GM who doesn't have eyes only for overrated defensive players.

It seems way too early to pass judgment on Watson or any of these other young players if looking longer term - next season and beyond. Love is definitely improving. I wouldn't say Love or the playcalling is favoring any of the young receivers over any other. Watson has had some drops and could be more physical and aggressive at the point, but he's also shown some ability to get behind defenders and has been on the end of some bad throws as well. Its not a great situation for fantasy purposes but I wouldn't write anyone off at this point based on what we've seen so far.

I HAD to play this guy due to Puca and Kupp both on bye weeks. I got a lillte excited when he has 2-23 early in the game. Ending up with 2-23 was depressing.

Not in future seasons
I think receiving/tight end group is low on the priorities for Packers. We don’t want to admit it but Love is a huge problem.

I’d be fine going into next season with Doubs, Watson, Reed and Wicks with Musgrave at tight end. Reed is a very good receiver, not a number one but he is scheme versatile and gets open.

Packers will need to address quarterback, running back (jones is definitely getting released and AJ Dillon should be off the roster) and O Line on offense. And they need to continue to invest in the front 7 (re-signing Gary was a great start)

My big issue with Watson is he is made of glass. We have seen what he can do when healthy - size and blazing speed. But are injuries going to take permanent toll? I think that’s the big question.

This guy is sitting in the free agent pool of my league. That's probably where he belongs, but is there any hope he puts up a good second half of the season?

Users who are viewing this thread