What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Christian Watson, GB (2 Viewers)

As one who owns Watson in multiple leagues, I must depart from the relatively optimistic takes on tonight's performance.

His trademark is speed, and I'm not seeing it. The long reception was simply a blown coverage, and even then he wasn't able to outrun Peters to the endzone. Yes, Love was late with the last pass of the game, but on his other targets, he simply had no separation. Even on the free-release deep shots, he was not able to outrun defenders.

Perhaps he is not up to "game speed" following his hammy injury. This is really all I can hang my hat on at this point....but I am concerned.

Those were some crap balls thrown by Love... even on the blown coverage... You don't think Rodgers makes those throws?

It could have been a 150 yd 2 TD type performance in his 2nd game of the season.

He may be a step slow but he's clearly a weapon on that GB offense

His trademark is speed, and I'm not seeing it. The long reception was simply a blown coverage, and even then he wasn't able to outrun Peters to the endzone

He was at a standstill when he caught the ball, Peters had the angle on him after being at full speed, and Watson still almost scored.

You really can't outrun double coverage and he almost did on the other bomb.

Honestly have no idea what you're seeing, because I saw a guy that was getting behind coverage designed to stop exactly that tonight.

Didn't watch but heard he had some amazing opportunities to go for long yardage. I feel great that he played a full game, a bye week now, and rest of the season stock way up?

Didn't watch but heard he had some amazing opportunities to go for long yardage. I feel great that he played a full game, a bye week now, and rest of the season stock way up?
Way up? No. But that's mainly because of the guy throwing him the ball. But defintely up.
Guess all we can hope for is the bye week to iron out some issues and more practice time for them. But yeah Jordan Love's long throw sample size is pretty bad so far

His trademark is speed, and I'm not seeing it. The long reception was simply a blown coverage, and even then he wasn't able to outrun Peters to the endzone

Honestly have no idea what you're seeing, because I saw a guy that was getting behind coverage designed to stop exactly that tonight.
I respectfully disagree. I saw a guy that was struggling to gain separation against a suspect secondary. Also, I saw a guy that wasn't succeeding in Mossing the ball (catching contested balls).

It's only one game, and his first game in full action after a hammy injury. Love was putrid. I'm definitely holding and wouldn't be shocked if Watson ramps up as the season progresses. However, I had to work late yesterday, so watched on DVR, which gave me a chance to rewatch several of his targets.....and just giving an honest assessment.

I found it funny that Watson was the best wr on the team last year when he got healthy but this year people were arguing that Doubs is now the man and Watson is #2. Watson's issue is that he needs to stay healthy but when he plays he's the #1 wr on the offense. Now given how their offense has looked recently that may not be saying much unfortunately...

I thought Watson looked healthy and was open pretty much all the time.
I guess I must have watched a different game. Yes, again, Love was awful....but Sports Illustrated writer Bill Huber gave the entire GB passing offense, including Watson, a grade of F. Here are a couple of points he made:

-The Raiders’ defense entered the night ranked 29th in opponent passer rating and was down two of its starting corners.
-Other than a blown coverage that allowed Christian Watson to get loose for a 77-yard gain, there’s almost never anyone truly open.
-Aside from Watson’s big gainer, the receivers combined for five receptions out of 13 targets for 35 yards.
-“I think my number was called way too many times tonight for the amount of plays I made. I’ve got to make some more plays,” Watson said.

I thought Watson looked healthy and was open pretty much all the time.
I guess I must have watched a different game. Yes, again, Love was awful....but Sports Illustrated writer Bill Huber gave the entire GB passing offense, including Watson, a grade of F. Here are a couple of points he made:

-The Raiders’ defense entered the night ranked 29th in opponent passer rating and was down two of its starting corners.
-Other than a blown coverage that allowed Christian Watson to get loose for a 77-yard gain, there’s almost never anyone truly open.
-Aside from Watson’s big gainer, the receivers combined for five receptions out of 13 targets for 35 yards.
-“I think my number was called way too many times tonight for the amount of plays I made. I’ve got to make some more plays,” Watson said.

I usually watch the replay of packer games although I reaaaally do not want to watch this again, but I saw Watson open consistently. I’ll report back.

Droppable in a ten team right? I’d rather use the spot to churn.

I almost dropped him this past week and he'll be hitting the wire this week in the couple of 10-teamers where I have him. I didn't really need him and he had a lot of goodwill with me due to his good stretch last year, but yeah, this year looks like it's toast.

For people who have been watching, does it look like he's at least doing well despite Love?

Watson, when healthy is not the problem . the problem is Love. he does not deliver the ball on time. waits in the pocket too long, trying to be careful. he dinks & dunks & when down by 20 points, he dinks & dunks.
Love is playing scared.

For people who have been watching, does it look like he's at least doing well despite Love?

Watson, when healthy is not the problem . the problem is Love. he does not deliver the ball on time. waits in the pocket too long, trying to be careful. he dinks & dunks & when down by 20 points, he dinks & dunks.
Love is playing scared.
Doubs seems to be a more favored target, as well. Not surprising since it was reported in preseason but worth pointing out.’

Love is playing scared.
and then running the ball on 3rd or 4th and very long.

I hate dropping him in a Non-PPR league where chunk plays and TDs are key, many weeks you scrape 6-8 pts out of each of your WR slots, just how it goes
That said, I'm thinking about Dotson, that team in DC has fooled me many times and I had to cut Dotson in several leagues but 18 targets the last 2 weeks
Still it's Washington

It pains me but I think i'm dropping in a 12 teamer. I have high hopes for him too at the start of the year but just too many dud games.

Love is playing scared.
I'd add that Watson currently has the second lowest catchable target percentage in the league.

Love is playing scared.
I'd add that Watson currently has the second lowest catchable target percentage in the league.
What is mind blowing is Jordan Love has faced the least pressure % in the league...it's very clear the issue isn't Watson

I was about to drop him but it looked like he had multiple red zone targets last week, so I’m keeping him for now

Love is playing scared.
What is mind blowing is Jordan Love has faced the least pressure % in the league...it's very clear the issue isn't Watson

I disagree Watson shares none of the blame. I think there are serious questions about his ability to function in an NFL offense. I've seen some recently digging up the Rodgers post-game quote on national television last year when he said something like - "if you want to catch touchdowns you have to run the right routes" (not a direct quote but a para-phrase from memory.) Watson is not getting open and when he is targeted, he's had a number of drops and other plays where he's not fighting for the ball like an NFL WR should.

This guy is embarassing. Wasted a 5th round pick on him. Luckily, my 10th (LaPorta), 11th (Achane) and 12th (Thielen) rounders render this stiff irrelevant.

@RobDemovsky
Christian Watson has a chest injury, a back injury and is being evaluated for a concussion. Other than that ...

LaFleur noted in his post game they believe Watson is likely not concussed. Otherwise, yeah - hard to have much confidence in this guy staying healthy. On the plus side, he was a step or two past his defender for a touchdown but Love underthrew him and on the play he was injured he made a great catch.

Looks like it’s not going to happen this season, but let’s be honest: unless he’s hurt, who are you going to find on the WW that’s better than him at this point of the season? Like him or not, Watson remains your best bench WR.

Looks like it’s not going to happen this season, but let’s be honest: unless he’s hurt, who are you going to find on the WW that’s better than him at this point of the season? Like him or not, Watson remains your best bench WR.
let someone else keep this landmine on their bench..

By the way, Love is underthrowing deep balls consistently. He just doesn't throw them well.

he's not a lot better on intermediate throws either

Passing Depth Stats - Jordan Love
  • 20+ yards: 9/35 25.7% 334 1 TD 4 INT
  • 10-19 yards: 24/52 46.2% 397 3 TD 4 INT
  • 0-9 yards: 68/97 70.1% 542 6-0
  • Behind LOS: 34/39 87.2% 220 1-0
It's not even a functional NFL offense rn

By the way, Love is underthrowing deep balls consistently. He just doesn't throw them well.

he's not a lot better on intermediate throws either

Passing Depth Stats - Jordan Love
  • 20+ yards: 9/35 25.7% 334 1 TD 4 INT
  • 10-19 yards: 24/52 46.2% 397 3 TD 4 INT
  • 0-9 yards: 68/97 70.1% 542 6-0
  • Behind LOS: 34/39 87.2% 220 1-0
It's not even a functional NFL offense rn

Users who are viewing this thread