What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Amon-Ra St. Brown, DET (1 Viewer)

This dude has too much upside to bench if he's playing, unless your other options are REALLY good.

I see what you're saying, I'm just kind of thinking that this might be a spot where he can be limited/a decoy in the knowledge they are going into a bye and he has two weeks to get properly fit. There's no way he is 100% after a DNP/DNP/limited practice, sure he might get some high leverage targets but it seems awfully risky. If you need upside then what the hell, I'll just be happy leaving on bench and hoping he is unscathed this time tomorrow

Not looking good- decoy or straight up useless...I had no choice but to start him given the potential but it's just a waste...not much fantasy goodness today.

Speaking Monday, Lions head coach Dan Campbell said Amon-Ra St. Brown did not suffer a concussion in the team's Week 7 loss to the Cowboys.​

St. Brown exited in the first quarter of Sunday's loss to the Cowboys and did not return to the field. According to Campbell, St. Brown did not suffer a concussion but was unable to return to the field due to league rules that prohibit a return for players who are exhibiting ataxia. Players exhibiting ataxia, which is poor muscle control that can lead to clumsy movements, are now under the watchful eye of the NFL's new concussion protocol. Tape of St. Brown's movement following Sunday's hit was reviewed and ultimately led to him being sidelined for the day. St. Brown is reportedly in concussion protocol but is expected to be available for Week 8 against the Dolphins.
SOURCE: Profootballtalk on NBCSports.com
Oct 24, 2022, 2:48 PM ET

I'm confused about ataxia. Of the possible causes I read about, the one that makes the most sense here is "severe brain trauma" yet they're saying he wasn't concussed. So how do you get ataxia without the concussion?

I'm confused about ataxia. Of the possible causes I read about, the one that makes the most sense here is "severe brain trauma" yet they're saying he wasn't concussed. So how do you get ataxia without the concussion?
One definition of it is "poor muscle control that causes clumsy voluntary movements. It may cause difficulty with walking and balance, hand coordination, speech and swallowing, and eye movements. Ataxia usually results from damage to the part of the brain that controls muscle coordination (cerebellum) or its connections." So basically you're woozy and you stumble a.k.a NFL's concussion definition "gross motor instability". You could be temporarily woozy and if you stumble and the concussion spotter sees it, you're done regardless of the medical tent concussion check.

This is why teams should instruct their players to not try and get up after a big hit/blow to the head. Just stay down and try to collect your thoughts/have a teammate help a person up slowly. Even if you don't get up, stay down and have the trainers come out to check you. That way you can't be ruled out early by the concussion spotter and at least you make it to the medial tent.

What about last week? That sucked
9 targets
4 receptions
55 yards

Nine targets isn't bad, of the 5 incompletions one was a pick to Jaire Alexander and 3 were thrown at ARSB's feet. When Goff's passes were at least waist high and in stride ARSB did his thang.

I don't know if it was the pass rush or Goff just having poor accuracy on the low throws.

ARSB has been a huge disappointment since week 3 for those like me who took him as their WR1 :lol:

However, the ankle, the concussion, the bye, and Dal D account for the horrible weeks and he looks to be back to full or 90% healthy, with 19 targets the last 2 weeks he is moving in the right direction with opportunity.

Will he get back to that 8/80/1 floor he had for 10 games to finish last season and start this one? Maybe, probably not though as that did set an NFL record. The Lions WR have been a revolving door of injuries all season, hopefully with a few weeks of consistent practice and game time Goff and ARSB are back on the same page soon. I haven't given up hope on the Sun God but have lowered my expectations to a WR2 with upside.

Amon-Ra St. Brown caught 10-of-11 targets for 119 yards in the Lions' Week 10 win over the Bears.​

St. Brown was held out of the end zone, but just barely. He caught a 13-yard pass down to the one-yard line on the Lions' game-winning drive. Although he didn't score, St. Brown was Jared Goff's clear go-to receiver, as usual, with eight of his 10 catches going for first downs. St. Brown limped off the field at one point late in the game but quickly returned to action. He can be trusted as a high-end WR2 against the Giants in Week 11.
Nov 13, 2022, 4:42 PM ET

I know it's the classic ying/yang of WRs but ARSB will only get better when someone like Jameson Williams is added to the lineup. A field stretcher will open things up for him plus now there is no more Hock to steal targets. A solid 1/2 punch going forward, for those in dynasty more.
Agree. Claypool has only played 2 games in Chicago, but changes the coverage for Mooney. This will happen with ARSB also.

Anyone get a post game update on Amin’s ankle. Hoping it’s a minor issue and not a dreaded high ankle sprain. He incredible!

Amon-Ra St. Brown caught 9-of-10 targets for 122 yards and a touchdown in the Lions' Week 12 loss to the Bills.​

With the Lions taking the Bills to the limit, St. Brown had his best overall game since Week 2, including a new season high for yardage. ARSB was finding the soft spots in the coverage and moving the chains in critical moments. There was a scary moment where he came up limping late, but St. Brown remained in the game. He now has 10 days to get healthy for Week 13 against the Jaguars. ARSB has locked himself in as a mid-range WR1.
Nov 24, 2022, 3:59 PM ET

Just wanted to point out, that if you remove the 2 games this year where he was clearly hobbled by an ankle injury, over his last 15 games dating back to last season, St. Brown has:

160 targets
122 catches
1,512 total yards
12 TD's

Those are basically the exact same numbers as Stefon Diggs, and are ahead of Justin Jefferson, Ja'Marr Chase (per game) Cooper Kupp (per game) and even Tyreek Hill. Only Davante Adams is higher, and that may not be the case after Sunday since Adams had a dud tonight.

Any thoughts on the Sauce Gardner effect on the Sun God this week?

Will Sauce try to take him away, or does he stay on the outside WRs?

Any thoughts on the Sauce Gardner effect on the Sun God this week?

Will Sauce try to take him away, or does he stay on the outside WRs?

he plays LCB and usually doesn't travel (he did a little when he was guarding Jefferson but most weeks he just shuts down one side)

RCB DJ Reed (PFF grade 73.0) and Slot Corner Michael the other Carter (74.9) are both having a great year

Most receptions 1st two NFL seasons, 196:
  • Michael Thomas
  • Justin Jefferson
  • Amon-Ra St Brown
Production's been way down ending the season. Not sure how I feel about him next year- maybe 90-1100-7 perennial guy but not someone to win a championship with. Now that Jameson will be a year healthy hopefully.

I enjoyed having him on numerous rosters but basically was a WR3 the last 4-5 week.s

Slow finish to last year and a few new weapons to contend with this year (Gibbs, Jameson, LaPorta). I love him as a player but I am starting to feel he topped out in the FF world. Needs to be fed and becomes touchdown dependent not being a big play guy. He still has Goff’s eye, so if he starts off hot I will probably looking to unload early in the year while Jameson is out and the rookies are getting their feet wet.

I'm personally not sold on him because of his size/speed. The local news guys here in LA love him because he went to USC and he's a gamer. But there have been tons of gamers coming up short in the pros for many, many years. You could write a pretty bleak history about deserving characters that couldn't.

I love when likable guys make me wrong by overcoming physical limitations to become quality players. It lets me know that there's still a cerebral element to this game. We see the willpower all the time, sometimes in defeat and sometimes in glory, but it seems that he thinks along with the game and processes information in split seconds, whereas others fail to do that. Good for him. I'm still not totally sold on him as a WR1, but he deserves to be in the pros and starting as a big shot slot guy. He's put up impressive-as-heck numbers.

I'm personally not sold on him because of his size/speed. The local news guys here in LA love him because he went to USC and he's a gamer. But there have been tons of gamers coming up short in the pros for many, many years. You could write a pretty bleak history about deserving characters that couldn't.

I love when likable guys make me wrong by overcoming physical limitations to become quality players. It lets me know that there's still a cerebral element to this game. We see the willpower all the time, sometimes in defeat and sometimes in glory, but it seems that he thinks along with the game and processes information in split seconds, whereas others fail to do that. Good for him. I'm still not totally sold on him as a WR1, but he deserves to be in the pros and starting as a big shot slot guy. He's put up impressive-as-heck numbers.
I am not a big fan of the sucess rate (or lack thereof) of 247 or Rivals, but Amon-Ra was very highly rated coming out of high school, near or at the top of his class of WR. Maybe he is living up to the expectation.

Slow finish to last year and a few new weapons to contend with this year (Gibbs, Jameson, LaPorta). I love him as a player but I am starting to feel he topped out in the FF world. Needs to be fed and becomes touchdown dependent not being a big play guy. He still has Goff’s eye, so if he starts off hot I will probably looking to unload early in the year while Jameson is out and the rookies are getting their feet wet.

This is where I’m at and why I just traded him away. Love the player and his work ethic. Just think he’s topped out his fantasy value and that made him a priority sell. Did it quietly though, no advertisement.

I'm not worried about the slow finish at all. It wasn't like it was really even a slow finish, the TDs just stopped happening. Stefon Diggs had a much colder finish to the season, are people worried about him?

Amon-Ra is still an ascendent WR in my opinion. There are new weapons, but Swift, Jamaal, and Chark are gone. That's 2,500 yards and 28 TDs out the door, and that's assuming the offense has peaked, which it very well may not have.

Personally, I've got Amon-Ra as WR4.

I'm not worried about the slow finish at all. It wasn't like it was really even a slow finish, the TDs just stopped happening. Stefon Diggs had a much colder finish to the season, are people worried about him?

Amon-Ra is still an ascendent WR in my opinion. There are new weapons, but Swift, Jamaal, and Chark are gone. That's 2,500 yards and 28 TDs out the door, and that's assuming the offense has peaked, which it very well may not have.

Amon-Ra is off to an historic start to his career. In a PPR league, I don't see how he falls out of the top 10.

He’s in the realm of Cupp and Edelman but those are also 2 of the best slot WRs of the last decade as well as guys who ended up in great situations. Cupp is probably best case scenario for ARSB.
This sure took on a different meaning than it had when I posted it May of 2021. I thought it was a slight dig at ARSB's ceiling. Turns out for 1.5 seasons Cooper Kupp showed his ceiling is fantasy MVP, 1.01 worthy. For 9 straight games, Amon Ra was the only WR matching Kupp's level of production. The ankle sprain obviously ended that run and hampered his play quite a bit for the middle of 2022. Still, don't lose sight of how hot he was for the last six games of 2021 and first three games of 2022.

For those 9 straight games Amon Ra put up 74 receptions, 942 yards and 9 TDs. Averaging 24.7 PPR PPG.

Last edited:
Cooper Kupp's crazy 2021 where he won the receiving triple crown, he averaged 25.7. Crazy Amon Ra was just about on that pace for more than half a season of consecutive games. Lo and behold, the Lions receiving situation is worse than it was going into 2022.

Hock to Laporta is a downgrade, Chark to Marvin Jones is a downgrade. Swift/Williams to Gibbs/Monty is probably an upgrade. Just like last year, we won't see Jamo for 1/3 of the year.

The Sun God might be a little undervalued.

Last edited:
Cooper Kupp's crazy 2021 where he won the receiving triple crown, he averaged 25.7. Crazy Amon Ra was just about on that pace for more than half a season of consecutive games. Lo and behold, the Lions receiving situation is worse than it was going into 2022.

Hock to Chark is a downgrade, Chark to Marvin Jones is a downgrade. Swift/Williams to Gibbs/Monty is an upgrade. Just like last year, we won't see Jamo for 1/3 of the year.

And he’s only going into his third year. He will continue to improve as a player.

Amon-Ra is off to an historic start to his career. In a PPR league, I don't see how he falls out of the top 10.
Same.

Hock to Chark is a downgrade, Chark to Marvin Jones is a downgrade. Swift/Williams to Gibbs/Monty is an upgrade. Just like last year, we won't see Jamo for 1/3 of the year.

And he’s only going into his third year. He will continue to improve as a player.
Yep, he's only 23. There are several WRs who will be drafted in the top 24 of rookie drafts this month who are 23.

Users who are viewing this thread