What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Why Rueben Randle? (3 Viewers)

@ebenezersamuel

One other thing Rueben Randle told me? "Hakeem told me to be ready to play this game."

Ebeneezer was asked if Nicks was letting Randle know to be ready on account of Nicks not thinking he was 100% or if he was just trying to prep Rueben for a bigger role.

Ebeneezer's exact response was:

"I wouldn't get too worked up about it, he's just trying to pump him up. Nicks is fine"

Last edited by a moderator:
:nerd:

Nice game today. Still don't see where his numbers will come from when Nicks gets back. Randle is better than Hixon and Barden, but Coughlin seems to have a chub for veterans.

Only thing this game accomplished is making him much harder to buy in my dynasty leagues. :wall:

Randle adjusting to the pros

By Matt Ehalt | ESPNNewYork.com

Nov 17

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. -- Rueben Randle may have had an NFL-level playing skills when the Giants selected him the second round of this year's draft. But he wasn't ready to be a professional in the NFL.

The wide receiver's work ethic was questioned on a national broadcast earlier in the year, and even Giants wide receivers coach Kevin M. Gilbride acknowledged Monday that the former LSU star needed some work in adapting to life in the NFL.

"He didn't come in knowing how to be a professional," Gilbride said. "It's a long day for these guys as far as how they go about their business and try to prepare for an opponent. And if you haven't been through it in a professional setting, it's different. There's always a little bit of a shock to a rookie's system in that regard."

Through 10 games in Randle's rookie season, Gilbride has noticed improvement in in the way Randle is adapting to all aspects of playing in the NFL. The wide receiver has just 11 catches for 158 yards on the year, but is getting a fair share of touches as the team's No. 3 wide receiver. He's still looking for the first score of his career.

"He's getting better. He's really improving in that area, whether it's his level of focus or his level of understanding and understanding of what it takes to be ready for a game," Gilbride said. "All those facets are improving."

The questions surrounding Randle's work ethic came into play when NBC announcer Chris Collinsworth said during the Giants game against the Eagles on Sept. 30 that the team is hoping Randle grows up and starts acting more like a professional. Even teammate Victor Cruz told the New York Post that Randle needs to act like he wants to be here, and improve in certain areas.

To the receiver's credit, the following week he received his first extended playing time and had the best game of his career, catching six passes for 82 yards in a win over the Browns. While Randle has only caught four balls for 72 yards since then, largely because the team's receiving unit is intact, Gilbride believes that game showcased the confidence the youngster has in his play.

"I think his confidence was building and hopefully continues to build as he continues to learn and digest what we're trying to get done, and really, his execution of how we're getting it done," Gilbride said." And it's progressed and needs to continue to progress to help our team down the stretch."

As Randle continues to improve as a receiver, and in handling the grind of the NFL, more opportunities should come. Although he may not finish with eye-popping statistics for the season, there's still plenty of time for Randle to help the Giants get back to the playoffs.

"He’s doing a good job, he is running the right routes and he is getting open," Giants quarterback Eli Manning said. "We got to figure out ways to get him the ball and get him more involved."

Rotoworld:

Giants WR Rueben Randle has shown major improvement through OTAs.
Coach Tom Coughlin referred to Randle as a guy who "has a chance to step his game up" and says "it’s happening right now." Randle is seeing the majority of the starter's reps with both Hakeem Nicks and Victor Cruz out with contract disputes. The receiver credits the extra work this offseason with helping him understand the offense more. He's expected to fully take over No. 3 duties this season.

Source: ESPN New York

Huge Randle fan because I cannot see NYG making a long term commitment to Nicks when he can't stay healthy. Randle will be electric if he somehow becomes the starter in NY.

Also a big fan of Nicks and realize what an elite talent he can be. Never hurts to have a Manning throwing it to you.

Dynasty owners take note. Randle's value is only going to go up from here I think. (Long as he has improved his work ethic a little more from last year.) But with Nicks in the last year of his contract and always banged up. And Cruz waiting on a big new contract (and has looked way better in the slot then he did on the outside.) Randle has a chance to be one of the big 3 starting WR's for the Giants. Which has some WR3/WR2 upside value. So Dynasty owners you've been warned buy now while you can.

According to Ralph Vacchiano of the New York Daily News, Giants quarterback has been very impressed with second-year wide receiver Rueben Randle this spring.

“A lot of times that second year you have a better feel for what’s going on, what his assignments are and the ins and outs of the offense,” Manning said. “He’s confident out there. He’s got a great skill set. I think he’s had a great spring. I think he’s done a lot of good things, made a lot of plays for us and I think he can be a great playmaker for us this year.”

With both Hakeem Nicks and Victor Cruz’s futures uncertain right now, the Giants will need Randle to step up this season and pick up some of the slack. It sounds like he might be ready.

http://profootballzone.com/nfl/eli-manning-has-been-impressed-with-rueben-randle-this-spring/

As a giants fan I loved the pick of Randle last year and believe the sky is the limit for Randle. I think he fell into the Giants lap and he is going to be a very good WR for a long time.

Randle is still very young. He just turned 22 and Coughlin does not play you until he trusts you. Randle is starting to earn that trust of his QB and in turn Coughlin as well.

Randle is a play maker and his catch radius is what most impressed me about him. He caught 60% of his targets last year. Now he only got 32 targets but he caught 19 of those and averaged 15.6 ypc and turnd 3 of those targets into TD's. That is making the most of your chances.

The other outside WR in the Giants system Nicks last year caught 53% of his passes and averaged 13 ypc for comparisson sake. The year before last Nicks was better as he caught 56% of his passes at a 15.5 ypc clip.

I have been on the Randle bandwagon for a while.

Long as he keeps up the work ethic and sharpens his routes he should be legit. (He is a former QB in High School and freshmen yr in College I think too.) And was one of the top 3 HS players in the country right out of High School. Something to keep in mind. Players like Randall Cobb and Boldin were former QB's too. I think it gives them a leg up somewhat.

Rotoworld:

Giants OC Kevin Gilbride says second-year WR Rueben Randle is "gonna play a lot."
"Oh, he's gonna play. He's gonna play a lot," Gilbride said. "He'll play first, second down, he'll be an outside receiver for us -- whether he's at the X or the Z, he's gonna play. He's looking like he deserves to be out there for significant time." Randle is easily ahead of Louis Murphy and Ramses Barden for No. 3 receiver duties, and he'll see plenty of action in three-wide sets. We have Randle as our No. 59 receiver, but he has a ton of upside.

Rotoworld:

Giants OC Kevin Gilbride says second-year WR Rueben Randle is "gonna play a lot."
"Oh, he's gonna play. He's gonna play a lot," Gilbride said. "He'll play first, second down, he'll be an outside receiver for us -- whether he's at the X or the Z, he's gonna play. He's looking like he deserves to be out there for significant time." Randle is easily ahead of Louis Murphy and Ramses Barden for No. 3 receiver duties, and he'll see plenty of action in three-wide sets. We have Randle as our No. 59 receiver, but he has a ton of upside.

I have been on his bandwagon for a good while.

Kevin Gilbride praises Rueben Randle, says Cruz and Nicks missed a lot

Posted by Josh Alper on June 13, 2013, 6:08 PM EDT
APWith wide receivers Hakeem Nicks and Victor Cruzskipping OTAs this spring, Rueben Randle had a chance to catch the eye of the Giants coaches and improve his bid for increased playing time in his second season.

He seems to have done just that. Offensive coordinator Kevin Gilbride couldn’t say enough good things about Randle after the end of the team’s three-day minicamp, calling him “the bell cow” of the receiving corps and said that Randle would be playing a lot come the fall.

“Rueben you saw emerge from a guy that showed flashes at times and always caught the ball well, but maybe didn’t always run the routes as precisely, as crisply as you wanted, didn’t have quite the understanding you wanted,” Gilbride said, via Ohm Youngmisuk of ESPNNewYork.com. “[Over the past month] he looked like a guy that’s been here for five or six years. He really benefited from the opportunity.”

There was no such gushing about Cruz or Nicks. Gilbride said that both players missed a lot of chances to grow as players during the spring sessions and thinks that they’ll be worse for it.

“They haven’t been working, listening or growing,” Gilbride said, via Michael Fensom of the Newark Star-Ledger. “They haven’t been developing. They haven’t been receiving the coaching that they need to get better. To be quite frank, both of them need it.”

The Giants haven’t been shy about their displeasure with Cruz and Nicks, but the entire subplot will be forgotten if both arrive at camp on time. And if Randle’s improved as much as Gilbride says he has, it will be hard to notice any missing growth from the other two guys.

A little over a year ago I traded out of the no 10 rookie draft spot cause someone took Kendall Wright in front of me. I traded down and got Rueben Randle at #18. So glad I did. This kid is legit. Watch out this year.

Rotoworld:

Giants OC Kevin Gilbride believes second-year WR Rueben Randle has "grown" and identified Randle as the "bellcow" of New York's receiver corps throughout spring practices.
"Not only did he grow, he kind of became the bellcow," said Gilbride. "He was first in line and ... that was not what we saw last year, not by a long shot. So to see him grow like that was a great step forward." Gilbride is promising Randle "significant" playing time even when Hakeem Nicks and Victor Cruz both reenter the mix. Randle has serious breakout potential this season.

Where would Randle be slotted in this years rookie dynasty draft? I noticed he is a fa in my league...
In dynasty I would only take Austin ahead of him
Randle was a free agent in our draft this year as well, he went undrafted.
How short are your rosters that he's a FA? Edit: He went at 120 in my Feb. start up.
20 man, 12 teamI'd expect nearly no value fantasy wise this year but his star is rising. I doubt the Giants sign both Cruz and Nicks long term as a matter of budgeting.

cstu said:
Sabertooth said:
ducktales said:
Touchdown There said:
Where would Randle be slotted in this years rookie dynasty draft? I noticed he is a fa in my league...
In dynasty I would only take Austin ahead of him
Randle was a free agent in our draft this year as well, he went undrafted.
How short are your rosters that he's a FA?

Edit: He went at 120 in my Feb. start up.
10 teams, 24 man rosters, start 2qbs, 2rbs, 3wrs, 1te,1k,1d

This is one guy I have read and studied a lot about if you have an early redraft be happy that you can get this guy in the 11th or 12th round.

If you are in a dynasty league I am telling everyone to buy now, you have about 6 weeks before this guy will start to get 2012 Cobb hype and value. Remember you have been warned!!!

Not sure why he'd get that kind of hype. He's about the 4th option in that passing game behind Nicks, Cruz, and Wilson. I think he's one of the best #3 receivers in the NFL but the Giants aren't going to be a high volume passing team.

Not sure why he'd get that kind of hype. He's about the 4th option in that passing game behind Nicks, Cruz, and Wilson. I think he's one of the best #3 receivers in the NFL but the Giants aren't going to be a high volume passing team.
Cobb was the 4th option going into the season the last year as well.

He's not behind Wilson in the passing pecking order. Additionally, Nicks is injury-prone and in a contract year, and Cruz is best suited for the slot and is in a contract stalemate with the Giants. Arrow is pointing straight up for Randle. Very easy to imagine that in 2014, he could be the Giants 1 or 2 receiver.

He's not behind Wilson in the passing pecking order. Additionally, Nicks is injury-prone and in a contract year, and Cruz is best suited for the slot and is in a contract stalemate with the Giants. Arrow is pointing straight up for Randle. Very easy to imagine that in 2014, he could be the Giants 1 or 2 receiver.
:goodposting: totally agree

The Giants haven't passed to their RBs much. According to Tiki Barber, that is because Jacobs and Bradshaw were between the tackle runners. Tiki says that his style and abilities were more like Wilson's. So it's possible the Giants will bring back the screen game if Tiki is correct.

Blog Bits: WR Rueben Randle

Published 06/18/2013 | By Patricia Traina
Randle, the second-round draft pick from a year ago, will go into training camp this summer competing for the third receiver role with veteran and newcomer Louis Murphy. While his rookie season had its ups and downs – Randle started to show flashes of being a receiving threat once the punt return duties were removed from his plate, he’s looking to build on a solid finish. Recently, offensive coordinator Kevin Gilbride praised Randle, saying that the second-year receiver has earned the right to play more.

Q: Coach Coughlin has said that this spring has been a big opportunity for the young receivers to step up. What are your thoughts about the circumstances and how you’ve responded to them?

A: I feel pretty good. I just want to go out there and make plays, make an impression, let the guys know that I’m ready to step up and make more plays this year.

Q: You’re going into your second year. How important is it to you to contribute on the offense this season?

A: I think it’s a collective thing. We’ve all gotta band together and get the job done. I don’t think they’re really going to rely on one person. For me, they wanted me to come in and make an impact – that’ why they drafted me. So I’ve just gotta go out there and do my job, do it to the best of my abilities.

Q: How different are you as a player from a year ago?

A: I’m a lot more confident in what I do. I see a lot of things that I did wrong. Going out there and making more plays, understanding the offense and more on the same page with Eli (Manning). I’m a more mature player than I was last year, so I’m looking forward to taking a leap this year (by) getting more trust from the coaches, and going out there and getting more reps so I can show my ability more.

Q: What are some of the things that were wrong that you now see?

A: Just little things like how I study, taking care of myself, and stuff like that. Like I said, I’m more mature than I was last year and I understand that I have to earn the trust of my coaches and quarterback.

Q: What has been your focus this offseason as far as improvement?

A: Be in better shape and overall a better receiver. Just going over the plays in my head, not trying to get away from the game at all. Be better at running routes, be more explosive in my breaks. I just really wanted to focus on my game and just get better at understanding the offense, being a better overall player myself.

Q: You weren’t part of the receiving group that worked out with Eli at Duke. Any reason? Do you feel that set you back any this spring?

A: Yeah, I had an issue. I know I’ve continued to work hard regardless [of not being there], and I know in this situation they’re going to come to me to make plays. I’m going to be ready to make plays.

Coach talk: Gilbride on offense

By Ohm Youngmisuk | ESPNNewYork.com

Excerpt:

Rueben rising: I thought it was worthwhile going back and writing again about what Gilbride had to say about Rueben Randle's offseason so far.

While Victor Cruz and Hakeem Nicks stayed away from voluntary OTAs, Randle took advantage of added reps with Eli Manning.

"No question ... Rueben benefited," Gilbride said last month. "I would say that he and the guys in the slot position benefited the most. Rueben, you see emerging from a guy that showed flashes at times. He always caught the ball well but maybe didn't always run the routes as precisely, as crisply as you wanted. He didn't have quite the understanding you wanted.

"He looked like a guy that has been here for five or six years," Gilbride continued on what Randle showed in the offseason. "He really benefited from the opportunity. His whole demeanor, his whole professionalism, was outstanding."

Gilbride raved about Randle showing leadership in OTAs and minicamp.

"He certainly stepped into a leadership role," Gilbride said. "Not only did he grow, he kind of became the bell cow of the receiving corps. ... That was not what we saw last year; not by a long shot. So to see him growing like that was a great step forward for him, which will help us down the road."

Randle obviously still needs to show progression in camp. But Gilbride made it clear that even with Nicks and Cruz on the field, Randle will see his share of snaps.

"Oh, he is going to play -– he is going to play a lot," Gilbride said. "He will play first and second downs. He will be an outside receiver for us. Whether he is at the 'X' or the 'Z,' he is going to play. He is looking like he deserves to be out there a significant time."

Agree with this also

Agree with this also
Call me a doubter but as long as Cruz and a healthy Nicks are there (I expect Nicks to be franchised next year if he doesn't get a long term deal) his upside is limited. That said, Nicks does get banged up a lot and long-term I like him quite a bit.

cstu you do realize that Randle could start opposite from Nicks real easily? Victor Cruz is like Randall Cobb and Welker in that they do 90% of there damage out of the slot. (Slot WR's tend to be smaller and very quick.) Hence why Cruz was used in the slot more last year and Randle was lining up outside more by the end of the year. These are just the facts. And with a young RB crew and no M.Bennett. I could see Randle putting up low end WR2 #'s real easily.

Coach talk: Gilbride on offense

By Ohm Youngmisuk | ESPNNewYork.com

Excerpt:

Rueben rising: I thought it was worthwhile going back and writing again about what Gilbride had to say about Rueben Randle's offseason so far.

While Victor Cruz and Hakeem Nicks stayed away from voluntary OTAs, Randle took advantage of added reps with Eli Manning.

"No question ... Rueben benefited," Gilbride said last month. "I would say that he and the guys in the slot position benefited the most. Rueben, you see emerging from a guy that showed flashes at times. He always caught the ball well but maybe didn't always run the routes as precisely, as crisply as you wanted. He didn't have quite the understanding you wanted.

"He looked like a guy that has been here for five or six years," Gilbride continued on what Randle showed in the offseason. "He really benefited from the opportunity. His whole demeanor, his whole professionalism, was outstanding."

Gilbride raved about Randle showing leadership in OTAs and minicamp.

"He certainly stepped into a leadership role," Gilbride said. "Not only did he grow, he kind of became the bell cow of the receiving corps. ... That was not what we saw last year; not by a long shot. So to see him growing like that was a great step forward for him, which will help us down the road."

Randle obviously still needs to show progression in camp. But Gilbride made it clear that even with Nicks and Cruz on the field, Randle will see his share of snaps.

"Oh, he is going to play -– he is going to play a lot," Gilbride said. "He will play first and second downs. He will be an outside receiver for us. Whether he is at the 'X' or the 'Z,' he is going to play. He is looking like he deserves to be out there a significant time."
Good reminder. Thanks. Some of this might have been aimed at the ears of Cruz and Nicks to get them in camp, but it's always good to hear a coach say these things.

cstu you do realize that Randle could start opposite from Nicks real easily? Victor Cruz is like Randall Cobb and Welker in that they do 90% of there damage out of the slot. (Slot WR's tend to be smaller and very quick.) Hence why Cruz was used in the slot more last year and Randle was lining up outside more by the end of the year. These are just the facts. And with a young RB crew and no M.Bennett. I could see Randle putting up low end WR2 #'s real easily.
I don't care where Cruz lines up, wherever he is he's going to get a large number of targets. Unless Nicks gets hurt I don't think we're going to see more than 50 catches by Randle in the next couple seasons.

The Giants have replaced Bennett with Myers - not a massive drop off IMO.

I don't care where Cruz lines up, wherever he is he's going to get a large number of targets. Unless Nicks gets hurt I don't think we're going to see more than 50 catches by Randle in the next couple seasons.

The Giants have replaced Bennett with Myers - not a massive drop off IMO.

:doh:

I have to disagree with the bolded statement. Don't see it like that at all. Myers was big in OAK in large part because he was a safety net for Carson and the Raiders were ALWAYS (most always) playing from behind.

And CSTU you didn't even address the comment from the previous poster were Gilbride OC said Randle belongs out there and will get significant playing time. I think that accounts for something. Like I've said all along. I see the stars aligned real easily for Randle to have the ceiling of a low end WR2 and a high end WR3/flex. Just my 2 cents.

And CSTU you didn't even address the comment from the previous poster were Gilbride OC said Randle belongs out there and will get significant playing time. I think that accounts for something. Like I've said all along. I see the stars aligned real easily for Randle to have the ceiling of a low end WR2 and a high end WR3/flex. Just my 2 cents.
How many targets do you expect Randle to get in this offense? For me that the main reason I'm holding back my optimism.

Gilbride said he'll play a lot and I expect him to but I don't see him getting more than 50 catches with Nicks healthy. That puts him at a high WR4.

Randle is closer to being a like-for-like replacement with Nicks than Cruz.

Nicks is in the last year of his rookie contract. The Giants may or may not want to pay him big money.

So there's a pretty realistic scenario that sees Randle replacing Nicks in the starting lineup in 2014.

I wouldn't expect a huge redraft payoff, but in dynasty leagues there's a clear path to relevance in the near future.

Ok guys my overall point is this. With Randle's talent and opportunity. I see no reason why he can't duplicate Manningham's #'s from 2010 with the G-Men. That yr Manningham had 60 plus rec and 900 plus yards and 9 TD's. Which in my league that year was good enough for the #21 ranked WR. That is low end WR2 #'s in most leagues. That is what I'm saying. He looks to be a high end WR3 and low end WR2 value in Dynasty at this point.

My view is more long term with Randle. But for this season he could very well be a useful late round flyer in redraft. If you could handcuff him to Nicks even better as I think he'd be a seemless plug-and-play if Nicks gets injured. The problem though is Nicks rarely misses games with injuries which could cause headaches if he's questionable as to which to start.

Last year the Giants rotated Hixon and Barden depending on situation. Hixon had 39 for 567 and Barden had 14 for 220. Then Randle himself had 19 for 298. I know these types of conclusions never go over well but if you take all that production and assume Randle will be that WR3 full time and not rotate out. That is 72 for 1,085. The RBs totaled 39 for 365 and Bennett had 55 for 626. That doesn't even include Nicks and Cruz so there is room for production even assuming that the targets go down due to an improve run game. And even if you are high on Myers and think he improves on Bennetts numbers which he could because Bennett missed some time so some of that WR3 production was probably a result of that and Nicks being banged up all season. That's still a nice production like to build from. Add the potential of a Nicks injury or Myers being pedestrian. And add the potential hype train value if Nicks doesn't get resigned next year. That's a lot of positives for Randle to build from.

Isn't Rueben spelled Reuben? How does a guy spell his own name wrong? oh wait... LSU.
Reuben is the Hebrew spelling (and my favorite sandwich) and Rueben (or Ruben) is the Spanish spelling.
Dropping the knowledge :thumbup:
NYG might have the most hispanic WR corps ever if they get rid of Nicks. What would they call it?!I was thinking Cruz & the Conquistador but Im sure there's better, especially for a duo.
maybe they'll trade for sanchez

Nicks is in the last year of his rookie contract. The Giants may or may not want to pay him big money.

So there's a pretty realistic scenario that sees Randle replacing Nicks in the starting lineup in 2014.

I wouldn't expect a huge redraft payoff, but in dynasty leagues there's a clear path to relevance in the near future.
nicks is 25.

Gmen love him and his future, he'll be resigned or franchised.

Ok guys my overall point is this. With Randle's talent and opportunity. I see no reason why he can't duplicate Manningham's #'s from 2010 with the G-Men. That yr Manningham had 60 plus rec and 900 plus yards and 9 TD's. Which in my league that year was good enough for the #21 ranked WR. That is low end WR2 #'s in most leagues. That is what I'm saying. He looks to be a high end WR3 and low end WR2 value in Dynasty at this point.
Steve Smith missed half the season and Nicks missed a few games. Manningham was on pace for 50 catches in the first half of the season when both Nicks and Smith were healthy.

nicks is 25. Gmen love him and his future, he'll be resigned or franchised.
More to it than that. Nicks is injury prone and would have cap implications. If they feel that Randle has talent, the additional cap space may have value at another position.

More to it than that. Nicks is injury prone and would have cap implications. If they feel that Randle has talent, the additional cap space may have value at another position.
Given his injury history he would also be smart to sign for less than what he thinks he's worth. There's no question the Giants want to re-sign him, but at the right price. Both sides should do what is best for them and get a deal done now.

Given his injury history he would also be smart to sign for less than what he thinks he's worth. There's no question the Giants want to re-sign him, but at the right price. Both sides should do what is best for them and get a deal done now.
I think there's still some draft day love in you guys for Randle. Nicks is accomplished, Randle isn't. A nice scenario would be for Randle to be as good as Nicks at 25-think someone even said so above not realizing Nicks was that young.

No it's not saying much, but Nicks will be the best WR in NYG history. This is a franchise that is (without a doubt) the worst at drafting and signing WRs. Remember Amani Toomer's average career with a few good years? He retired with most NYG receiving records. Tiki may hold one or two. I forget the timing of each breaking them....nonetheless this is a team that appreciates a top WR more than any other. They quite literally have never had one in like 60-70 years of professional football.

If you guys are right and Randle is special and all, I'd more expect the Gmen to keep both, or all three with Cruz.

Not long ago, the Giants had more money in their DL then any two teams combined. They had some disproportionate spending and guys like Osi (sorry ya got hurt buddy) weren't really worth the huge coin anymore. The Giants do find a way to keep players and spend money, If keeping all three means they have three rookie TEs on the roster, then they will. I don't know how, but this franchise has "never" let the special ones go since the free agency era began. They find a way. Think long and hard, it's difficult to come up with a top player the Giants had that left in free agency.

Like many NFL WRs nowadays, I think with Cruz it's about the OC calling a play that puts him in a spot where he shines. We have read about BB or (RIP) Heimerdinger being super concerned of matchups, but every team is of course. I think Cruz is dynamic enough that the Giants plan is to move him wherever the matchup is.

Welker is incredible because it doesn't really matter who is covering him in the slot, he's getting to his spot and he's going to catch it. He's very disciplined. I don't think Cruz is like him. Cruz (and the rest of the NFL) is not as disciplined and Welker doesn't have anywhere near the breakaway ability Cruz has.

You can tell when the Giants are in move the chains mode and sure Cruz can make some catches in the slot and seem traditional. I think his gift is when they want to take some shots at freeing him up for a long gainer. I really feel like Gilbride is predictable and you can tell which mode the Gmen are in.

I think there's still some draft day love in you guys for Randle. Nicks is accomplished, Randle isn't. A nice scenario would be for Randle to be as good as Nicks at 25-think someone even said so above not realizing Nicks was that young.
It's a bit more complicated than Nicks vs. Randle though. If NYG thinks Randle is 95% of the player that Nicks is and they know they can keep him for a fraction of the salary, it might make sense for them to let Nicks walk and spend the money elsewhere. I don't know for sure how this situation will work out and I won't be hugely surprised if they end up re-signing Nicks, but I think there are several major variables at work here. Namely...

- Can Nicks stay healthy and play well in 2013? Doing so will increase NYG's desire to keep him, but also increase his market value. On that note...

- How much will it cost to re-sign Nicks? If some WR-needy team comes in and offers him a massive contract, it might be difficult for the Giants to match.

- How good is Randle? If he ends up being as good as Nicks or reasonably close, the Giants will be less inclined to keep Hakeem.

It's certainly possible that they'll keep Nicks. I don't know what kind of odds I'd place on it. Maybe 35-50%. Given that they just paid big bucks to Cruz, I think they're a little less likely to hand out another big contract to a WR. Doesn't mean it definitely isn't going to happen, but it's not a certainty either, IMO.

Just an FYI, Louis Murphy has looked great and is a giant(no pun intended) monkey wrench into FF plans for NYG WR right now.

A friend of mine said "he's been the best WR on the field many times so far...he's not supposed to be"

shorts versus pads, not actual games not even preseason games....I'm not jumping on any Louis Murphy bandwagon, but I wanted you guys to know so you could watch a guy this summer that you probably counted out like everyone else.

Rotoworld:

Giants OC Kevin Gilbride said Rueben Randle now looks "like a guy that has been here for five or six years."
As a rookie last season, Randle's work ethic, route-running, and precision were questioned. He's answered those queries in a hurry, starring in the offseason program while Victor Cruz and Hakeem Nicks sat out. "His whole demeanor, his whole professionalism, was outstanding," Gilbride said. Randle will come on as the outside receiver in all three-wide sets, kicking Cruz into the slot. There's plenty of sleeper appeal here.

Source: New York Daily News

Users who are viewing this thread