What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Why Rueben Randle? (1 Viewer)

Rotoworld:

NJ.com projects Rueben Randle as the Giants' No. 2 receiver this season, ahead of rehabbing Victor Cruz.

Although his efficiency was lacking and his TD total (3) disappointed in 2014, Randle posted career highs on catches (71) and yards (938) and finished strong with Weeks 16-17 stat lines of 6-132-1 and 6-158. Still only 24 years old, Randle remains an ascending player and could end up as a late-round value pick in 2015 fantasy drafts if Cruz experiences any setbacks.

Source: NJ.com
May 6 - 10:47 AM
I think Rotoworld interpeted that wrong

Sure the article lists them as WR1 WR2 and WR3

What I took from the article's listing was WR3 = slot WR

Cruz isn't on the writer's depth chart at all under WR1 or WR2 but he is on the depth chart as the top WR3

Rotoworld:

NJ.com projects Rueben Randle as the Giants' No. 2 receiver this season, ahead of rehabbing Victor Cruz.

Although his efficiency was lacking and his TD total (3) disappointed in 2014, Randle posted career highs on catches (71) and yards (938) and finished strong with Weeks 16-17 stat lines of 6-132-1 and 6-158. Still only 24 years old, Randle remains an ascending player and could end up as a late-round value pick in 2015 fantasy drafts if Cruz experiences any setbacks.

May 6 - 10:47 AM
I think Rotoworld interpeted that wrong

Sure the article lists them as WR1 WR2 and WR3

What I took from the article's listing was WR3 = slot WR

Cruz isn't on the writer's depth chart at all under WR1 or WR2 but he is on the depth chart as the top WR3
Also people may have Randle as one of their sleepers after he ended the season with a few strong games. Need to see if he's really turned it around though because he was also benched/lost the start a few times last year for breaking team rules.

Jernigan had a few solid games to end the season prior, didn't do much when Cruz went down and he's now out of work and not getting much interest from NFL teams. Granted each player and their situations are different. Just, it's still time to be cautious about Randle.

Last edited by a moderator:
Randle has been doing great in OTAs according to beat writers. If Cruz doesn't make it back to what he once was, Randle might be the beneficiary while OBJ draws double coverage. The other sleeper if Cruz were to have a setback or is JAG after the injury might be WR Corey Washington. Washington had a great camp and lead the team in yardage in preseason. Washington had a string of three straight game-winning touchdown catches in the preseason.

OTA - Fourth-year wide receiver Rueben Randle led the reel today with two touchdowns during the first portion of team drills. The first was over the middle in the back of the end zone from Eli Manning. The other, also from Manning, came just short of the goal line as Randle turned up the field for the score.

Though he should get a lot of work with Cruz and OBJ out of today's practice.

He will have more value during season then he does now as people see he is the #2 in a McAdoo offense that is getting rolling in year 2.

Donnell, Cruz and ODB dealing with injuries? Under the radar for sure.

Rotoworld:

Eli Manning believes Rueben Randle will have a breakout season as a fourth-year pro.

"I think Rueben’ll have a big year," Manning said. "I think Rueben can be a great receiver, a dominant receiver." Randle quietly set career highs in catches (71) and yards (938) last season, but frustrated fantasy owners by only scoring three TDs. "You’ve definitely seen him from Day 1 to Day Now, just the maturity level is definitely improved," added Eli. "He’s all in, he’s been here working, he’s been here off days, and so I've been impressed with his commitment." Still only 24 years old, Randle qualifies as an intriguing post-hype sleeper in 2015 drafts.

Source: New York Post
Jun 11 - 12:56 PM

First Down: PPR Peterson, Big Ben's deception and sophomore WR sensations

Excerpt:

Eli Manning may be talking up Rueben Randle, but the WR offers excitement equivalent to a Donald Trump presidency. His quarterback’s “great, dominant receiver” comments have people back on the bandwagon, however, I’m not buying. Admittedly, he was serviceable at times last season setting career bests in receptions (71) and yards (938). What dragged him down was the lack of touchdowns (three).

As impressive and committed as Randle has been, it’s difficult to predict a gigantic leap in production. Odell Beckham is undoubtedly Eli’s weapon of choice. OBJ's stake in the offense combined with Shane Vereen’s arrival arrows to continued disappointment for the wide receiver. Another 127 targets are very unlikely. Also keep in mind in 2014, Randle cashed six on only 2-of-12 end-zone targets and tallied an abhorrent 23.8 catch percentage on passes beyond 20 yards. And many of those spoiled opportunities came against favorable coverage. Beckham was double-teamed 67.9 percent of the time. A final line around 60-65 receptions, 850-900 yards and 3-5 TDs feels right. Don’t believe the post-hype.

Victor Cruz is going to take another big bite out of that pie. No one's numbers, except maybe Victor's, Vereens and Eli's are likely going up much unless OBJ tops maybe the best rookie WR season ever.

Rotoworld:

The Newark Star-Ledger's Jordan Raanan noted Rueben Randle was the best Giants receiver on the field "by a wide margin" during spring practices.

Of course, Odell Beckham (hamstring) and Victor Cruz (knee) didn't participate, so it would have been a concern if Randle wasn't the best receiver out there. But by all accounts, Randle has taken a big step forward after getting benched on two separate occasions last year. Eli Manning has already predicted a breakout year for Randle. Playing in a fast offense, Randle will be a player to own as a big-bodied target on the outside and a preferred option in the red zone.

Source: Newark Star-Ledger
Jun 24 - 9:12 AM

Rotoworld:

When asked about Rueben Randle, Giants WRs coach Sean Ryan said, "To me the guy is a player."

The Giants remain on Randle's side despite his frustrating 2014 season and a couple trips to Tom Coughlin's doghouse. He's just 24 years old, showed well during the spring and will see a ton of snaps in Ben McAdoo's preferred three-wide base. Randle, who was going off the board in the eighth or ninth round last year, can be had in the 12th or 13th round this year.

Source: Jordan Raanan on Twitter
Aug 3 - 12:20 PM

Rotoworld:

Rueben Randle - WR - Giants

Rueben Randle is idle at Giants camp due to knee tendinitis.

Randle was dealing with the condition last week and barely practiced. He lasted only three plays in the Giants' preseason opener before limping off, and coach Tom Coughlin admitted afterwards the team made a mistake trying to get Randle to play. Randle should get all the rest he needs this week.

Aug 16 - 8:14 PM

@DanGrazianoESPN: Doesn't sound like Giants WR Rueben Randle is close to a return. Coughlin: "This thing with Rueben has really confused me."

Rotoworld:

Rueben Randle caught 3-of-6 targets for 31 yards and one touchdown in the Giants' Week 4 win over the Bills.

Randle continues to be an every-down player with Victor Cruz (calf) still on the shelf. His six targets were second on the team to Odell Beckham's 12. Randle's lone highlight was his 11-yard touchdown in the second quarter, beating Stephon Gilmore's soft coverage on a slant. He'll be on the WR3 radar in Week 5 when the Giants host the 49ers' weak pass defense.

Oct 4 - 6:11 PM

I'm often perplexed as to how few targets he receives. He's a sizeable WR with decent separation and yet he is always kinda on the verge of being replaced by a bigger better deal. I don't watch Giant's games from start to finish but I'm always surprised by is under use. I know that ODB is the man, but how does this offense with such an inept running game only get him so few targets each week?

I'm often perplexed as to how few targets he receives. He's a sizeable WR with decent separation and yet he is always kinda on the verge of being replaced by a bigger better deal. I don't watch Giant's games from start to finish but I'm always surprised by is under use. I know that ODB is the man, but how does this offense with such an inept running game only get him so few targets each week?
My opinion: He is single handed-ly responsible for most of Eli's interceptions. Between not fighting for the ball when it is thrown his way, stopping his routes shorts, running the completely wrong route, etc. It is amazing how many of his targets end up poorly. See today's INT as an example.

My opinion: He is single handed-ly responsible for most of Eli's interceptions. Between not fighting for the ball when it is thrown his way, stopping his routes shorts, running the completely wrong route, etc. It is amazing how many of his targets end up poorly. See today's INT as an example.
Thanks for this. It's hard to read between the lines if you are not a fan of this team. As long as Cruz is out, which seems like the rest of the season, he keeps intriguing me to play him during bye weeks.

He is easily my least favorite player in the league. He sucks big time and would have been cut by now if he was not a second round pick. He will probably catch on with the Vikings next year. They like to collect crappy wrs.

In his defense, some of Eli's ducks are difficult to catch and do seem more likely to result in a tipped ball than a catch. No doubt he's wrong and he should be used to them by now, but Eli could throw a nicer ball.

In his defense, some of Eli's ducks are difficult to catch and do seem more likely to result in a tipped ball than a catch. No doubt he's wrong and he should be used to them by now, but Eli could throw a nicer ball.
I'm not trying to absolve Eli for all of his throws. Today's INT was completely on Randal. Eli was throwing to a spot. Randal, at best, half heartedly tried to goto the spot. The cornerback broke faster and stronger to the spot. There have been times where Eli was leading Randal only to see him completely pull up after the ball was thrown. If he had kept running the route it is an easy catch, instead INT. It is maddening. I am not a Randal fan at all.

Rotoworld:

Giants coach Tom Coughlin hopes for Rueben Randle (hamstring) to get in limited practices this week.
Unlike Odell Beckham, Randle didn't return to Sunday's win over the 49ers after departing. The good news is, he has an extra day to get healthy with the Giants traveling to Philadelphia for Monday Night Football. The G-Men's receiver corps is in really bad shape behind OBJ and Randle.

Source: Ralph Vacchiano on Twitter
Oct 12 - 2:18 PM

Worth holding onto him at all in redraft? Lots of decent options/wild cards on the wire..I've grabbed this guy the past 3 seasons and seems like he has one or two good games and then does nothing the rest of the season.

No in fact he's giving him less snaps. Nicks snap count has been going up and he came out in second half last week playing in two WR sets over Randle.

Thing about it is they remind me of each other, Nicks and Randle. Main difference is Nicks used to be good but both of those players have bodies that seem much older then they really are, they both seem like 30 year old kind of guys and neither can get open.

Rotoworld:

Coach Tom Coughlin named Rueben Randle first when asked whom the Giants will look to for big plays in the absence of Odell Beckham.

"Rueben comes to mind," said Coughlin. Averaging six targets per game this season, beat writer Jordan Raanan anticipates Randle drawing "about eight or nine" on Sunday Night Football against the Vikings. It's a big opportunity for Randle on national TV with two regular season games left in his contract year.

Dec 25 - 1:37 PM

Rotoworld:

Coach Tom Coughlin named Rueben Randle first when asked whom the Giants will look to for big plays in the absence of Odell Beckham.

"Rueben comes to mind," said Coughlin. Averaging six targets per game this season, beat writer Jordan Raanan anticipates Randle drawing "about eight or nine" on Sunday Night Football against the Vikings. It's a big opportunity for Randle on national TV with two regular season games left in his contract year.

Even more reason not to believe that, let alone what your eye tell you all season. If healthy I look for Harris to be the big play guy if they have one and Tye to lead them in receptions.

Rotoworld:

Even more reason not to believe that, let alone what your eye tell you all season. If healthy I look for Harris to be the big play guy if they have one and Tye to lead them in receptions.
The eyeball test. Exactly. He looked average or worse every time I saw him.

Rotoworld:

It's funny when people think when a coach says a player will be more involved they are just playing mind games. Take your tin foil hat off... Perhaps the coach is just answering the question? Believe what you want with your eye test,,but the claim because the coach said it he doesn't mean it is laughable and it goes on in here every week. :tinfoilhat:

Am I crazy for starting this guy in PPR as a flex today? Giants homers please chime in... Torn between some middling options like Allen RB Vs stout PIT Run D. Already starting AR15 and Robinson so hesitant to trot Hurns out there in case JAX takes a dump.

This leaves me randle.... Butt some of the naysayers have me nervous. Anyone have input on randle? FBG and 4for4 don't give him much respect this week...

Rotoworld:

It's funny when people think when a coach says a player will be more involved they are just playing mind games. Take your tin foil hat off... Perhaps the coach is just answering the question? Believe what you want with your eye test,,but the claim because the coach said it he doesn't mean it is laughable and it goes on in here every week. :tinfoilhat:
It's not that I thought Coughlin was playing mind games. I wouldn't doubt for a minute that they'll try to lean on Randle more than they would otherwise. I'm just skeptical that Randle can deliver, based on what I've seen previously.

Rotoworld:

It's not that I thought Coughlin was playing mind games. I wouldn't doubt for a minute that they'll try to lean on Randle more than they would otherwise. I'm just skeptical that Randle can deliver, based on what I've seen previously.
I guess 3 tds in 4 games doesn't pass the eye test these days

The Philly Inquirer gives Rueben Randle the "early edge" for the Eagles' third receiver opening.
Eagles minicamp is over, so the team won't reconvene until camp. A favorite of new coach Doug Pederson, Randle spent the spring working in three-receiver sets alongside Jordan Matthews and Nelson Agholor. Randle's competition will come from Chris Givens and Josh Huff. Givens is a one-trick-pony speedster, while Huff did little his first two seasons and had too many drops in OTAs.

Source: Philadelphia Inquirer 
Jun 13 - 3:59 PM

Eagles coach Doug Pederson mentioned WR Rueben Randle as a player who has "stood out" during training camp.
This comes only a few days after MMQB's Peter King said Randle wasn't a lock to make the 53-man roster. Zach Berman of the Philadelphia Inquirer agreed that Randle is "carving a role on this team" and "has the attention" of both coaches and teammates. Aside from Jordan Matthews, the Eagles' depth chart at wide receiver should remain in flux throughout training camp.

Source: Zach Berman on Twitter 
Aug 5 - 3:34 PM

I love the "Faust is human" element in addition to just another one of your thousand robotic posts.  Thanks again for your all your constant updates Faust.  Some may take your posts for granted, but it really is a huge time saver for some of us.  Much appreciated. 
Yes. Thanks Faust for your countless contributions here.

I love the "Faust is human" element in addition to just another one of your thousand robotic posts.  Thanks again for your all your constant updates Faust.  Some may take your posts for granted, but it really is a huge time saver for some of us.  Much appreciated. 
Thanks!  I should add my commentary more frequently.  I was prompted to do this with Randle as I almost had him traded away until he pulled his usual lazy effort stunt in the game this week.

There is a special place in hell for players like Randle who kill valuable roster spots for fantasy GMs everywhere.

The Philadelphia Inquirer's Jeff McLane reports Rueben Randle has "failed to impress" this summer and is "expendable."
After drawing praise from coach Doug Pederson earlier this month, it's been all downhill from there for Randle. With the acquisition of Dorial Green-Beckham on Tuesday, Randle and fellow veteran free agent signing WR Chris Givens are on the roster bubble and in danger of not making the 53-man team. DGB, Jordan Matthews, Nelson Agholor, and KR/WR Josh Huff are ahead of Randle.

Source: Philadelphia Inquirer & Daily News
Aug 17 - 9:45 AM

Good riddance to this bum.

Users who are viewing this thread