What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Why Rueben Randle? (3 Viewers)

Talent and only 21 (in a few days). Assuming the worst case scenario he will be a 25 yo free agent with 4 years of experience with the Giants.
That's a pretty bad case scenario for those of us who don't play in leagues with a billion roster spots. Four years is an eternity.

A few thoughts from Greg Cosell:

Greg Cosell

‏ @gregcosell

Like WR Randle. Smooth, athletic, acceleration off the LOS. Belive he can win isolation routes on outside as "x". Similarities to H. Nicks.
Randle will get an opportunity with Giants. Need a 3rd WR. Should be good situation. He can work with Nicks, who was 5th WR chosen in 2009.
and from his mock draft analysis:
Randle, as I've said before, showed some similarities to the Giants' Hakeem Nicks in terms of athletic movement and deceptive vertical speed. There were times watching tape when I felt he was quicker and more athletic than both Justin Blackmon and Michael Floyd.

Talent and only 21 (in a few days). Assuming the worst case scenario he will be a 25 yo free agent with 4 years of experience with the Giants.
That's a pretty bad case scenario for those of us who don't play in leagues with a billion roster spots. Four years is an eternity.
It's hardly ideal but Meachem would be similar worst case scenario (except that he is 28) and owners were able to get a 1st for him. With short rosters it might not be worth holding that long but I would guess he would still be worth a 2nd round pick to someone unless he's a complete bust.

Giants rookie camp practice #1

Rueben Randle

"there was one play on which Randle did a good job of “stacking” the cornerback after beating him. That means he beat the corner to the outside and then worked away from the sideline to give the quarterback an easier throw. That’s a skill Mario Manningham struggled to perfect, even in Super Bowl XLVI."

Good to hear he's making good decisions on a play, not just relying on physical ability.

Last edited by a moderator:
'netnalp said:
Giants rookie camp practice #1

Rueben Randle

"there was one play on which Randle did a good job of “stacking” the cornerback after beating him. That means he beat the corner to the outside and then worked away from the sideline to give the quarterback an easier throw. That’s a skill Mario Manningham struggled to perfect, even in Super Bowl XLVI."

Good to hear he's making good decisions on a play, not just relying on physical ability.
He hasn't played a down for the Giants yet and I'm already convinced he's a better option than Manningham. Appreciate the Super Bowl play but Mario won't be missed.

He hasn't played a down for the Giants yet and I'm already convinced he's a better option than Manningham. Appreciate the Super Bowl play but Mario won't be missed.
Agreed. Was never a big fan of Mario's game.Randle is a much more complete player IMO.

So is Randle a Nicks-handcuff now??
You'd have to think so. His skillset and dimensions are a lot closer to Nicks than Cruz. You'd have to think he'll be able to fight his way to the backup role behind Hakeem. That being said, I always like to get a couple receivers on the same team anyway because you are potentially going to see a target increase to the backup/3rd or 4th wideout when the 1 or 2 goes down. But I'm a risk averse player and always look to mitigate risk.

I really like Randle and Jeffrey this year. I think one of those two players is the top rookie wide receiver.
We see things very similar. I like Blackmon but don't like his situation and think it's a year or so before he can produce good numbers. I'm not high on either Wright or Hill as prospects so forget about them having great rookie seasons.I like Randle a lot as a prospect but I think the depth chart will limit him this first year.I really like Jeffrey to produce immediately. I think Floyd could too. They're my top picks for rookie production.

I really like Randle and Jeffrey this year. I think one of those two players is the top rookie wide receiver.
We see things very similar. I like Blackmon but don't like his situation and think it's a year or so before he can produce good numbers. I'm not high on either Wright or Hill as prospects so forget about them having great rookie seasons.I like Randle a lot as a prospect but I think the depth chart will limit him this first year.I really like Jeffrey to produce immediately. I think Floyd could too. They're my top picks for rookie production.
Brian Quick is my guy. But I think Randle is also a great pick.

Brian Quick is my guy. But I think Randle is also a great pick.
Quick is an interesting player to watch. It all comes down to whether he can play. If he can, he has every opportunity to be very good. If he can't, he will be out of the league in a couple years. I'm avoiding him right now, but with a watchful eye.

What do the Cruz and Nicks contracts look like?

What do the Cruz and Nicks contracts look like?
Nicks8/1/2009: Signed a five-year, $12.54 million contract. The deal included a $6.5 million signing bonus. 2011: $575,000, 2012: $750,000, 2013: $925,000, 2014: Free AgentCruz2012: $540,000, 2013: Restricted Free Agent

So is Randle a Nicks-handcuff now??
You'd have to think so. His skillset and dimensions are a lot closer to Nicks than Cruz. You'd have to think he'll be able to fight his way to the backup role behind Hakeem. That being said, I always like to get a couple receivers on the same team anyway because you are potentially going to see a target increase to the backup/3rd or 4th wideout when the 1 or 2 goes down. But I'm a risk averse player and always look to mitigate risk.
Looking like a good handcuff now.

Ralph Vacchiano ‏@TheBlueScreen

WR Rueben Randle is catching a lot of over-the-middle passes and then very quickly breaking free of the defender. Good hands/speed.

----------------------------------------

From the glowing reports in OTAs and today's minicamp, it would be a surprise if Randle doesn't lock up the WR3 spot by camp. The claims that he's NFL ready seem to be ringing true.

Ralph Vacchiano ‏@TheBlueScreenWR Rueben Randle is catching a lot of over-the-middle passes and then very quickly breaking free of the defender. Good hands/speed.----------------------------------------From the glowing reports in OTAs and today's minicamp, it would be a surprise if Randle doesn't lock up the WR3 spot by camp. The claims that he's NFL ready seem to be ringing true.
I think you Randle is a future NFL stud. Nicks and Cruz are the top guys for now but Randle is going to horn in on them a bit before long. I just like everything I hear about this kid.

Giants rookie Randle waits his turn

Kevin Fixler, Special to SI.com

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. -- With the New York Giants working through their last day of veterans minicamp, rookie Rueben Randle stands watching the action, helmetless and arms clasped behind his torso, eagerly shifting back and forth in a small huddle with the other reserve receivers. It's been just a short stay in the NFL for the Bastrop, La., native so far, but already he's experienced prolonged delays.

Back in late-April at the NFL Draft, the 6-foot-3, 210-pound LSU product -- one of only three Tigers invited to attend the event and a first-rounder in countless mock drafts -- saw his name surprisingly trickle down many teams' boards. With each unfamiliar name called, the internal pressure and discomfort built. Finally, with the last pick of the second round, the defending champions brought relief to Randle and his family, making him the ninth receiver selected in 2012.

Though one might expect some bitterness or chip on the shoulder-type of attitude due to such an unexpected wait from realizing a boyhood dream, Randle thinks of it differently.

"It was a humbling experience," Randle said on Thursday at the Giants practice facility in the Meadowlands. "It wasn't really anything I could complain about, coming into a blessing and a home like this. Once I sat back and looked at it that way, it really wasn't a bad situation at all."

Many pundits theorized the source of the holdup was Randle's lack of eye-popping numbers while playing in Baton Rouge, even if his impressive production -- nearly 17 yards per reception during his college career to go along with 917 receiving yards in his final season at LSU -- occurred in Les Miles' run-centric offense. Others mentioned that his NFL Combine results were just outside of the top 10 at the position.

Regardless, calling Randle "NFL-ready" because of his obvious natural abilities, the Giants -- seemingly always in need of the next receiving threat in a depleted unit -- were happy to welcome him, openly gushing about him falling into their lap so late in the draft. Though things are still coming along for the 21-year-old on the field, from what he has shown so far in the few days of practice he has taken part in through two minicamps, the line of those ahead of him may be promptly shrinking.

In March, just off a memorable Super Bowl XLVI grab that esssentially sealed New York's victory, Mario Manningham signed a two-year deal with the San Francisco 49ers during the offseason. Then, at an OTA in May, Hakeem Nicks broke a bone in his foot, putting him out an estimated three months. Add the loss of tight end Jake Ballard and veteran Dominik Hixon also trying to return from injury, and suddenly things are appearing a little grim at what had started to look like a strong point for the champions just months ago.

Although Nicks plans to be back in action in time for the latter part of training camp, the Giants are in need of dependable targets for Eli Manning. The Giants quarterback acknowledges that there is much work ahead but that Randle may end up being precisely the guy to shore up the hole at this critical skill position.

"I think he has a good feel for things," Manning said of Randle. "He's starting to understand some of the concepts and just the ins and outs of what his assignments are. There's always a learning period with those guys, but you see some speed, some size coming in and out of breaks and just a pretty good feel and understanding of how to get open. We've just got to see if he can step in as that outside receiver on third down or in three-wide."

In just the brief window he has been able to evaluate, Giants offensive coordinator Kevin Gilbride has seen the same things in the young draft pick as his quarterback.

"I think there's enough ability there for sure," said Gilbride. "He's a build-up speed guy who I think has enough to get by people to give us a deep threat that we need. There's a lot of polish that has to take place in terms of sharpening some of the other things he's doing, but I think you see enough to be encouraged."

Randle said he is still getting used to the adjustment away from family and friends in "The Big Apple," but that his growing relationships with several players on the team, primarily the receiving corps, is making life in the NFL a mostly smooth transition.

"I think football is football," he said. "Just getting adjusted to the different reads and things like that are what I've been trying to focus on these last couple days. It's also different because the offense is more complex than we ran at LSU."

Fourth-year receiver Ramses Barden said that guiding new teammates on and off the field is important because it sets the tone for the goals and values of the organization, as well as benefits the team as a whole. He is proud of how tight knit New York's wide receivers have become.

"I think we have one of the better chemistries on the team," said Barden, also vying for a starting role on the team. "Obviously I'm not in other groups, but I know we have a lot of fun in our room and with each other hanging out here and away from the facility. We even still talk to Mario. Just because he's gone doesn't mean we won't be tight with him. He was a good friend of ours and he's got new opportunities, but we're still going to miss him all the same because of the camaraderie and friendship built in this unit."

At this point, with competition for the third receiver position still wide open, Randle displays his cool demeanor when his No. 82 jersey (yes, Manningham's old number) finally hits the field during the minicamp. After a handful of walkthrough formations with the second unit, Randle steps up to field punts toward the end of practice.

His talents are immediately apparent, if not obvious. With nearly a 50-foot kick off the foot of punter Steve Weatherford briskly falling back to the turf, Randle settles in, helmet unstrapped and gloves unfastened, and casually cushions the ball into his awaiting hands, never even expending the energy to tuck it to his chest to gain possession. The former all-state high school quarterback then finesses a crisp, 40-yard spiral back to an assistant and strolls back to his previous position.

"I'm really trying to work hard each and everyday to get the system down and just let them know they can rely on me," he said in the locker room after practice. "You might not get the ball, but just go out there and do what you're supposed to do. They see that you're trying to get open and things like that, and when the ball comes your way, you make the plays, and they build more confidence in you and trust you."

While coaches continue their player analysis and begin to make key roster decisions, Randle is content biding his time, for now, while gaining a better understanding from each pro experience he has had -- including the draft -- and hoping to cut down on future delays while also proving to the Giants, he was worth the wait.

Ralph Vacchiano ‏@TheBlueScreenWR Rueben Randle is catching a lot of over-the-middle passes and then very quickly breaking free of the defender. Good hands/speed.----------------------------------------From the glowing reports in OTAs and today's minicamp, it would be a surprise if Randle doesn't lock up the WR3 spot by camp. The claims that he's NFL ready seem to be ringing true.
I think you Randle is a future NFL stud. Nicks and Cruz are the top guys for now but Randle is going to horn in on them a bit before long. I just like everything I hear about this kid.
Chatter about him being NFL ready etc. reminds me of the things said about Marvin Harrison when he came into the NFL. I'd love for Randle to put up Harrison numbers.

Love his talent. Nicks annd Cruz owners can probably get handcuff value too. It seems pretty clear that he is the third guy there already.

Surprised this thread has been dead for 2 months. With Nicks seemingly ready for week 1 yet still sliding in drafts, Im definitely going to be going after him.

Considering how much he gets dinged up, I figure you need to go after Randle (I dont think this would be a bad idea if you take Cruz necessarily). Looking at his ADP the last few days...

61. Edwards, Braylon SEA WR 164.61

62. Smith, Steve STL WR 166.42

63. Simpson, Jerome MIN WR 166.50

64. Baldwin, Jon KCC WR 167.17

65. Baldwin, Doug SEA WR 167.36

66. McCluster, Dexter KCC WR 168.12

67. Burleson, Nate DET WR 168.58 37

68. Henderson, Devery NOS WR 170.39

69. Jones, James GBP WR 172.54

70. Randle, Rueben NYG WR 172.54

71. Owens, Terrell FA* WR 173.16

72. Hill, Stephen NYJ WR 175.09

73. Walter, Kevin HOU WR 176.29

I think he clearly represents the most upside this season out of this group if you pick 1 of the other NYG WRs. I think Simpson and Henderson are also a little undervalued, but if I take Nicks or Cruz early I think a 14th rounder on Randle is easily worth it.

'Kenny Powers said:
Surprised this thread has been dead for 2 months. With Nicks seemingly ready for week 1 yet still sliding in drafts, Im definitely going to be going after him. Considering how much he gets dinged up, I figure you need to go after Randle (I dont think this would be a bad idea if you take Cruz necessarily). Looking at his ADP the last few days...61. Edwards, Braylon SEA WR 164.61 62. Smith, Steve STL WR 166.42 63. Simpson, Jerome MIN WR 166.50 64. Baldwin, Jon KCC WR 167.17 65. Baldwin, Doug SEA WR 167.36 66. McCluster, Dexter KCC WR 168.12 67. Burleson, Nate DET WR 168.58 37 68. Henderson, Devery NOS WR 170.39 69. Jones, James GBP WR 172.54 70. Randle, Rueben NYG WR 172.54 71. Owens, Terrell FA* WR 173.16 72. Hill, Stephen NYJ WR 175.09 73. Walter, Kevin HOU WR 176.29 I think he clearly represents the most upside this season out of this group if you pick 1 of the other NYG WRs. I think Simpson and Henderson are also a little undervalued, but if I take Nicks or Cruz early I think a 14th rounder on Randle is easily worth it.
I like Randle, but in that range I'm taking Jon Baldwin over him. First round ability with the potential to be the #1 WR for Kansas City, not just the #3.Randle is a good dynasty option IMO. Not so much in redraft. Doubt he tops 700 yards this year.

'Kenny Powers said:
Surprised this thread has been dead for 2 months. With Nicks seemingly ready for week 1 yet still sliding in drafts, Im definitely going to be going after him. Considering how much he gets dinged up, I figure you need to go after Randle (I dont think this would be a bad idea if you take Cruz necessarily). Looking at his ADP the last few days...61. Edwards, Braylon SEA WR 164.61 62. Smith, Steve STL WR 166.42 63. Simpson, Jerome MIN WR 166.50 64. Baldwin, Jon KCC WR 167.17 65. Baldwin, Doug SEA WR 167.36 66. McCluster, Dexter KCC WR 168.12 67. Burleson, Nate DET WR 168.58 37 68. Henderson, Devery NOS WR 170.39 69. Jones, James GBP WR 172.54 70. Randle, Rueben NYG WR 172.54 71. Owens, Terrell FA* WR 173.16 72. Hill, Stephen NYJ WR 175.09 73. Walter, Kevin HOU WR 176.29 I think he clearly represents the most upside this season out of this group if you pick 1 of the other NYG WRs. I think Simpson and Henderson are also a little undervalued, but if I take Nicks or Cruz early I think a 14th rounder on Randle is easily worth it.
I like Randle, but in that range I'm taking Jon Baldwin over him. First round ability with the potential to be the #1 WR for Kansas City, not just the #3.Randle is a good dynasty option IMO. Not so much in redraft. Doubt he tops 700 yards this year.
Jon Baldwin has the potential to be the KC #1 WR??? This year?Im sure youre talking dyno, but I was talking redraft. If Nicks or Cruz are not playing on any given week, I much prefer Randle to Baldwin

No, I was talking Baldwin. I think he has breakout potential this year.

The guy has loads of talent. Bowe is a good player, but not so good that he can't be surpassed.

Remember that Baldwin was also a first round pick like Bowe. He has prototypical #1 WR size and athletic ability.

No, I was talking Baldwin. I think he has breakout potential this year.The guy has loads of talent. Bowe is a good player, but not so good that he can't be surpassed.Remember that Baldwin was also a first round pick like Bowe. He has prototypical #1 WR size and athletic ability.
Oh, I like Baldwin and lived in PGH when he was at Pitt so I know the talent level there. If he had passed Breaston at this point, I would feel much more confident about his 2012 prospects. He may in fact do that during the season, but that means he still loses a lot of snaps, and his QB is still Matt Cassel. Ive never been a big Bowe fan myself, but he's good enough where he will get his and Im not sure that offense can support 2 WR3+

'netnalp said:
'munygon2 said:
Is Randle the WR3 over Hixon?
The buzz from beat writers it they are pretty evenly matched in the competition for the #3 job, so most are predicting that Randle will win it or will during the season.
Fbgs depth chart has Randle listed over Nixon fwiw

No, I was talking Baldwin. I think he has breakout potential this year.The guy has loads of talent. Bowe is a good player, but not so good that he can't be surpassed.Remember that Baldwin was also a first round pick like Bowe. He has prototypical #1 WR size and athletic ability.
No way in heck Baldwin outperforms Dwayne Bowe this season. If he does, Cassell will be a top 10 quarterback.

ESPN projects him with 669 yds & 5 td's. I could see that happening if things went right for him. It's always possible Nicks could miss a little time since he plays hard & gets dinged up. Although I hope he doesn't.He's an excellant talent & would like to see him have a good year. They have Bennett at TE & I don't think he'll do too much so I think there's opportunity for Randle with Manningham gone. Of that list probably only Wright I'd consider taking over Randle and possibly Jeffrey. His situation is ok. He could or could not get a decent amount of playing time but if there's vets out there available I'll give them a hard look before taking Randle. If a 1 or 2 WR for the NYG's goes down, God forbid as I wish injury to no one, then Randle's situation's gets a big boost, but you can't rely on that. If there's a decent vet who I know will get playing time I'll usually take them over a rookie that I'm not sure will get enough playing time. Yes I think he's being overhyped & overdrafted and that may work out & maybe not. We'll know at season's end.

No, I was talking Baldwin. I think he has breakout potential this year.

The guy has loads of talent. Bowe is a good player, but not so good that he can't be surpassed.

Remember that Baldwin was also a first round pick like Bowe. He has prototypical #1 WR size and athletic ability.
No way in heck Baldwin outperforms Dwayne Bowe Dexter McCluster this season. If he does, Cassell will be a top 10 quarterback.

Ramses Barden has made a solid case to be the number three.
He may have saved his roster spot the last two preseason games but I don't see him taking the #3 spot.
Is Randle currently lisyed as the #3?
Current Depth Chart is:WR: Cruz, Jernigan, Randle

WR: Nicks, Hixon, Barden

Giants Depth Chart

So officially, Randle is the #3 on Cruz's side and Barden is #3 on Nick's. The knock on Barden is he tries to play like a mall WR and out juke DB's. With his big size he has trouble doing that. The coaches ar trying to get him to play more physical and use his size. He's had two good preseason games but Randle out played him in camp by a large margin.

He may have saved his roster spot the last two preseason games but I don't see him taking the #3 spot.

Giants Depth Chart

So officially, Randle is the #3 on Cruz's side and Barden is #3 on Nick's. The knock on Barden is he tries to play like a mall WR and out juke DB's. With his big size he has trouble doing that. The coaches ar trying to get him to play more physical and use his size. He's had two good preseason games but Randle out played him in camp by a large margin.
Thanks!

Giants Depth Chart

Hmm...I think Randle is very quick, elusive for his size, but he seems like a perfect replacement for Nicks position/routes. Barden as well, but Randle has the pedigree and shown about as much in 1 preseason as Barden has in what, 3 seasons?!

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/3945/domenik-hixon

Giants OC Kevin Gilbride announced Sunday that Domenik Hixon will open the season as the team's third receiver.

The Giants don't trust Ramses Barden despite a productive preseason, and Rueben Randle is still raw, despite flashing big-play ability all August. Hixon likely won the job out of veteran deference, but expect it to be a committee with Randle eventually emerging as the top option in three-wide sets alongside Hakeem Nicks and Victor Cruz. For now, it's a fantasy situation to avoid. Sep 2 - 2:16 PM

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/3945/domenik-hixonGiants OC Kevin Gilbride announced Sunday that Domenik Hixon will open the season as the team's third receiver.The Giants don't trust Ramses Barden despite a productive preseason, and Rueben Randle is still raw, despite flashing big-play ability all August. Hixon likely won the job out of veteran deference, but expect it to be a committee with Randle eventually emerging as the top option in three-wide sets alongside Hakeem Nicks and Victor Cruz. For now, it's a fantasy situation to avoid. Sep 2 - 2:16 PM
Thank you for the update. What do you think of Reuben long term? Do you see him eventually emerging as a fantasy WR1?

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/3945/domenik-hixonGiants OC Kevin Gilbride announced Sunday that Domenik Hixon will open the season as the team's third receiver.The Giants don't trust Ramses Barden despite a productive preseason, and Rueben Randle is still raw, despite flashing big-play ability all August. Hixon likely won the job out of veteran deference, but expect it to be a committee with Randle eventually emerging as the top option in three-wide sets alongside Hakeem Nicks and Victor Cruz. For now, it's a fantasy situation to avoid. Sep 2 - 2:16 PM
If Hixon stays healthy I think he can be a huge value this year. The Giants WR3 has been 1 of the most productive in the NFL, and we all know Nicks' penchant for injuries. Just a few years ago Hixon was in contention to be NYG's #1 WR, so it isnt like theres no talent there.

Hixon started out last year ahead of Cruz and Manningham before he tore his acl. I expect this to be a temporary depth chart. Randle has made a wow play in almost every preseason game, I'm surprised it's been so underreported.

The Giants WR3 will have the benefit of not having to face the opposing team’s best defender, and will be playing with a QB who throws to the open man.

Like the article said, Hixon is likely WR3 to begin the season due to his experience alone. The reality is that he is less than a year removed from a right ACL tear; the same ACL that he tore in 2010.

@ebenezersamuel

Worth noting: Rueben Randle told me today he got "a lot" of snaps. Third receiver Thursday? It certainly seems possible.

I may be wrong but I think the #3 WR role for the Giants isn't as attractive as it has been due to the emergence of Bennett. However it would be a nice sign for those of us who own Randle in dynasty leagues.

I may be wrong but I think the #3 WR role for the Giants isn't as attractive as it has been due to the emergence of Bennett. However it would be a nice sign for those of us who own Randle in dynasty leagues.
Bennett makes it a competition for the #3 targets. But Bennett has dropped some important catchable balls like two in the endzone of the Bucs game. So there is an opportunity for someone to prove they can be a more reliable target.

Users who are viewing this thread