What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Who is RB5? (1 Viewer)

Jeff Tefertiller

Footballguy
Bob Magaw has a great thread brewing here about the next best back after Chris Johnson. Many in the thread had Adrian Peterson, Maurice Jones-Drew and Ray Rice next (in one order or another). The follow up question for me is "who is the RB5" assuming those four (Johnson, Peterson, Jones-Drew and Rice)? This is within the context of a dynasty league. Who do you like?

To me, this is wide open. Is it Frank Gore? DeAngelo Williams? Jonathan Stewart? Steven Jackson? Or maybe one of the young, up-and-coming backs?

Who do you have and why?

Last edited by a moderator:
If DeAngelo doesn't resign i'd say Stewart. If he does resign this offseason its really wide open. I couldn't sit on Stewart for two more years knowing he's only going to get 200 carries a season. I'd prolly go with Gore.

I would go J. Stewart. He is young and has performed when healthy and given the ball,but I wouldn't argue with anyone that likes Sjax at five.

RB5 or overall player 5?

I think if i got stuck with the 5th pick and those 4 were gone, I'd take Aaron Rodgers. I might even take him at #4 ahead of Ray Rice.

RB5 or overall player 5?I think if i got stuck with the 5th pick and those 4 were gone, I'd take Aaron Rodgers. I might even take him at #4 ahead of Ray Rice.
who would you take as RB5 and how many QB/WR would you rank ahead of this RB (RB5)?
I probably wouldn't take anyone as RB5. I think that RBs are overrated in dynasty, especially in startups. I think, outside of the rare exceptions where an RB is both a stud *AND* not yet at his peak (really, this only applies to the four guys you already mentioned, plus possibly Stewart), RBs should be viewed as a final piece. If you've got a near championship-quality squad, then yeah, go get Gore or Williams or SJax. Three years from now, their value will drop through the floor, but flags fly forever. In a startup draft, though, you (theoretically) don't have a team that's any substantially better than anyone else's. You're just taking your first baby steps down the path to building a juggernaut. Now is not the time to lock yourself into a 3 year window by adding a soon-to-be expiring asset like Gore or Williams.So, with all that said... if the premise is that I *HAVE* to take the 5th RB off the board, I'm probably going with Stewart. If the question, though, is who would I take... then the answer is "none of the above". There are too many players at other positions who do meet that "already a stud and not yet at their peak" criteria. Larry Fitzgerald, for one. Calvin Johnson. Aaron Rodgers. Andre Johnson (well, okay, he's already at his peak... but he'll still be a quality asset 3 years from now). I'd probably take the Jacksons first, too (definitely on Vincent, probably on Desean). Miles Austin for certain. Ditto that for Roddy White. That's 8 guys already, plus the four "consensus" picks, meaning I wouldn't use a 1st round draft pick on an RB unless I got one of the big four. In the early second, I'd be looking at Stewart. Eventually, the big three "expiring" studs (Gore, SJax, and DWill) would become such great value that I couldn't pass anymore... but I don't think I'd pull the trigger on them until the very late 2nd or early 3rd, at the earliest.

I've been a Steven Jackson fan for a long time and although I think he's got the most talent he's in a horrible situation and he's had such a heavy workload compared to the other options.

In non-PPR I'd likely go Michael Turner, he's in a run-heavy offense and is likely to get redzone opportunities - if he, Mughelli and Ryan didn't get injured his numbers would look a lot better than they did. I think he's the safest bet to get 330+ carries and a better option in all formats than his teammate Roddy White.

In PPR formats I like Frank Gore. 49ers are a run-first team under Singletary, he has no real competition for carries and is more talented than comparable options like Williams and Mendenhall. I don't get the Jonathan Stewart love, he's clearly number 2 on the depth chart, and although Panthers are going to be a run-first team with a new QB I think they're going to be playing from behind quite a bit while he develops. Could be a few years for that investment to pay off.

RB5 or overall player 5?I think if i got stuck with the 5th pick and those 4 were gone, I'd take Aaron Rodgers. I might even take him at #4 ahead of Ray Rice.
who would you take as RB5 and how many QB/WR would you rank ahead of this RB (RB5)?
I probably wouldn't take anyone as RB5. I think that RBs are overrated in dynasty, especially in startups. I think, outside of the rare exceptions where an RB is both a stud *AND* not yet at his peak (really, this only applies to the four guys you already mentioned, plus possibly Stewart), RBs should be viewed as a final piece. If you've got a near championship-quality squad, then yeah, go get Gore or Williams or SJax. Three years from now, their value will drop through the floor, but flags fly forever. In a startup draft, though, you (theoretically) don't have a team that's any substantially better than anyone else's. You're just taking your first baby steps down the path to building a juggernaut. Now is not the time to lock yourself into a 3 year window by adding a soon-to-be expiring asset like Gore or Williams.So, with all that said... if the premise is that I *HAVE* to take the 5th RB off the board, I'm probably going with Stewart. If the question, though, is who would I take... then the answer is "none of the above". There are too many players at other positions who do meet that "already a stud and not yet at their peak" criteria. Larry Fitzgerald, for one. Calvin Johnson. Aaron Rodgers. Andre Johnson (well, okay, he's already at his peak... but he'll still be a quality asset 3 years from now). I'd probably take the Jacksons first, too (definitely on Vincent, probably on Desean). Miles Austin for certain. Ditto that for Roddy White. That's 8 guys already, plus the four "consensus" picks, meaning I wouldn't use a 1st round draft pick on an RB unless I got one of the big four. In the early second, I'd be looking at Stewart. Eventually, the big three "expiring" studs (Gore, SJax, and DWill) would become such great value that I couldn't pass anymore... but I don't think I'd pull the trigger on them until the very late 2nd or early 3rd, at the earliest.
:goodposting: although I'd have to take Gore/DWill/SJax a bit earlier, we'd both take them late enough so we wouldn't get them. I'd take Wells immediately after JStew.

I like Gore, but there are a bunch of guys closely linked together: Gore, SJax, Stewart, DeAngelo. Good case can be made for any of them.

This is funny, considering that JStew aint even the best RB on his team!

But, hey.....take him 5 over SJax, DWill, Turner, and Gore.

Gore for me......he has great games. But he is just a smidge above Sjax and Mendy to me. Mendy bothers me if Roth sits at all though for his off the field antics because stopping the run without the pass working would make things difficult for Mendy.......(ending in injury most likely)

This is funny, considering that JStew aint even the best RB on his team!But, hey.....take him 5 over SJax, DWill, Turner, and Gore.
Good luck moving Turner at anything close to top 5 value. Time to move him has long gone and the production you'll get won't outweigh the steep decline in value.

This is funny, considering that JStew aint even the best RB on his team!But, hey.....take him 5 over SJax, DWill, Turner, and Gore.
Good luck moving Turner at anything close to top 5 value. Time to move him has long gone and the production you'll get won't outweigh the steep decline in value.
This.Dynasty is as much about value as it is production considering how much trading goes on vs. redraft. And, whether you agree or not Football Critic, Stewart has more trade value than DeAngelo and Turner and is on par with Gore and SJax.

At the 5 spot I would definitely take AJo, then Fitz over any of the remaining RBs. After that I could see arguments being made for many of the RBs mentioned.

DeAngelo Williams will rise again this year. He will get more carries than JStew assuming he's healthy, and he doesn't need Stewart to finish off his drives, plus he can break them from 20-30+ yds out.

People are talking about talent and DeWill runs laps around JStew.

I have DeWill in the top6 or 7 for redraft this year and I would also put him top5 in Dynasty, I like the guy a lot and there is plenty of tread left on those tires.

RB5 or overall player 5?

I think if i got stuck with the 5th pick and those 4 were gone, I'd take Aaron Rodgers. I might even take him at #4 ahead of Ray Rice.
So basically those 3 will never be on your team. :thumbup:

DeAngelo Williams will rise again this year. He will get more carries than JStew assuming he's healthy, and he doesn't need Stewart to finish off his drives, plus he can break them from 20-30+ yds out.

I have DeWill in the top6 or 7 for redraft this year and I would also put him top5 in Dynasty, I like the guy a lot and there is plenty of tread left on those tires.
I disagree with this.

Agree that last season prior to high ankle sprain was the best time to maximize his value and move him...However, the talented ATL offense is going to provide Turner plenty of opportunities to rack up rush yds and approach 20 rushing TDs for at least the next 2 seasons. Not many RBs have that kind of talent + opportunity. Injury aside, in 2009 he was well on his way to meeting or exceeding the stellar production of 2008. If he stays healthy his production should certainly be good enough. I wouldn't feel too badly about being "stuck" with Turner for the next couple of seasons.

I disagree with this.
You can disagree but DWill has 3,000 total yds and 27 TDs the past 2 years, and about 50 receptions to boot. JStew has 2,100 total yds, 21 TDs, and half as many receptions.

Where do you feel Stew is more talented? Receiving out of the backfield? Explosiveness? He isn't the starter and I like him but he actually makes DWill's life easier. Last year DWill battled injury but his yds were only off a total of 275 total but his TDs dipped a lot, BUT JStw didn't have a huge increase in his TDs, going form 10 to 11...so I think Carolina was just terrible at getting into scoring range plus Jake put a lot of drives to a screeching halt.

I am very optimistic on DWill this year and I'm glad he is not getting a lot of respect, makes it much easier to get him in all formats.

Agree that last season prior to high ankle sprain was the best time to maximize his value and move him...However, the talented ATL offense is going to provide Turner plenty of opportunities to rack up rush yds and approach 20 rushing TDs for at least the next 2 seasons. Not many RBs have that kind of talent + opportunity. Injury aside, in 2009 he was well on his way to meeting or exceeding the stellar production of 2008. If he stays healthy his production should certainly be good enough. I wouldn't feel too badly about being "stuck" with Turner for the next couple of seasons.
Certainly a great RB2 to have in Dyansty, but I think his inability to be a dual threat hurts him in PPR...even if he gets 320 carries he will total about 1,400-1,500 yds rushing, maybe double digit TD too...but he isn't a receiving threat and I am not as comfortable with him in PPR. Also he is not a young pup either.

At the 5 spot I would definitely take AJo, then Fitz over any of the remaining RBs. After that I could see arguments being made for many of the RBs mentioned.
Sigh....let's read the topic before replying next time. This happens far too often in this forum.The question is "Who is the RB5?", not "Who is the 1.05?".

For me it is SJax just because he's the most featured back and the center of all offense for his team, but I do agree that with so many options the correct selection at 1.05 in a startup Dynasty is to pick QB or WR.

S. Jackson, J. Addai, D. Williams, F. Gore will all be 27 at the start of the season this year. If i had to pick a running back for a start up dynasty at 1.5 I would go J. Stewart. Mainly due to his age and the fact that he has potential but that being said the QB or WR spot is the better option at 1.5. In the end though i would like to have any of the above players on my team.

Sigh....let's read the topic before replying next time. This happens far too often in this forum.The question is "Who is the RB5?", not "Who is the 1.05?".
Or you could read the posts where Jeff Tef said to mention who you would take before any RB. Post 7-ish i believe.To answer:RodgersRivers - except i could get him in the 2nd pretty easily so I'd wait for valueLarry FitzAndre JohnsonMiles AustinRoddy WhiteSantonio - except I could get him much later so I wouldn't take him til the 3rdPotentially Brandon Marshall, both WR Jacksons, Jennings, Sidney Rice, Crabtree, NicksIf IDP add Willis to the list.I'd trade down out of the spot if Rodgers was gone and Rice was still available. Try to get an extra 2 or 3 out of it, and still end up with Rodgers.

I disagree with this.
You can disagree but DWill has 3,000 total yds and 27 TDs the past 2 years, and about 50 receptions to boot. JStew has 2,100 total yds, 21 TDs, and half as many receptions.

Where do you feel Stew is more talented? Receiving out of the backfield? Explosiveness? He isn't the starter and I like him but he actually makes DWill's life easier. Last year DWill battled injury but his yds were only off a total of 275 total but his TDs dipped a lot, BUT JStw didn't have a huge increase in his TDs, going form 10 to 11...so I think Carolina was just terrible at getting into scoring range plus Jake put a lot of drives to a screeching halt.

I am very optimistic on DWill this year and I'm glad he is not getting a lot of respect, makes it much easier to get him in all formats.
Who had more yards and TD's during Williams first two years in the league, him or Foster? I dont think you can use stats as a measure of who is more talented, unless you think Foster was more talented than Williams?

All of the next RB options have warts.

SJax, DWill, and my probable pick Gore are all going to be 3 year investments. That said, if I'm spending 3 years of entry fees I'd like to win atleast one of those 3 instead of waiting for a maybe.

That brings me to the maybes ... JStew, Wells, Mendenhall, etc Stewart and Wells appear locked into something of a time share for the next few years. Mendy never had that breakout game which has me cautious. Moreno faded. Charles and Greene have to enter the mix by the time you talk those 3 too.

So I think I'd take Gore or SJax as RB5/6 in a 2 man tier but in this spot I think you take QB1 or WR1 in a dynasty given the depth at RB means the drop to what will be their in Round 2 isn't huge.

For me it is SJax just because he's the most featured back and the center of all offense for his team, but I do agree that with so many options the correct selection at 1.05 in a startup Dynasty is to pick QB or WR.
That's who I'd pick at my 5th RB as well but I would go with 2-3 WR's over SJAX but no any QB's.

5. Stewart - Actually, i would probably take him 4, over Rice.

After that, its just a roll of the dice. Depending on your dynasty league philosophy, i would say any of the following 6-7 players would come next.

Stephen Jackson, Frank Gore, and Deangelo Williams. Based on talent, these guys are three of the best, and pretty "safe" picks.

However, if you are a youth/swing for the fences type owner(like me), these backs could be considered in the 5-10 spots:

Felix Jones, if he manages to stay healthy he has Chris Johnson potential. I feel pretty good saying i think he will get 250-300 touches next year. Does anyone doubt the numbers he could put up if he did?

Shonn Greene, flashed some real talent at the end of last year. That combined with the best O-Line in the league, a coach that loves to run, and only LT and Washington to share carries with, this guy has top 5 upside.

Chris Wells, he definitely looked better last year than i thought he would. Looks like he will get every opportunity to carry the load in Arizona. The direction the team is going scares me a bit though.

Jamaal Charles, im not as sold on him as some others, but the opportunity is certainly there.

A few guys who i dont think should be considered in the top 10 that others might are Mendenhall, Turner, and Cedric Benson. I see the Bengals and Steelers bringing in some big play RB's to share carries with Mendenhall and Benson. Turner is still solid, i just dont like him as much as the other guys in my top 10. Plus 28 is about the age i try to trade away my RB's. I refuse to get stuck with guys like LT, Larry Johnson, Westbrook etc. on my team when they fizzle out.

Chris Wells, he definitely looked better last year than i thought he would. Looks like he will get every opportunity to carry the load in Arizona. The direction the team is going scares me a bit though.
I wouldn't let it. The offense will go through him. I'm fairly confident in saying he'll be the best producing Cardinal player in 2010 [besting Fitz in FP]. One of the safest RB picks IMHO. Outside of the ball security issues, I thought he looked outstanding. Should have been starting week 1, but that's beside the point.On a personal note, I ran into him earlier this week hiking Camelback Mountain. 2nd or 3rd time I've ran into him there. Looked in great shape [that was one of my big concerns with him going into the league]I think he's Jon Stewart in a better fantasy situation.

I've been a Steven Jackson fan for a long time and although I think he's got the most talent he's in a horrible situation and he's had such a heavy workload compared to the other options. In non-PPR I'd likely go Michael Turner, he's in a run-heavy offense and is likely to get redzone opportunities - if he, Mughelli and Ryan didn't get injured his numbers would look a lot better than they did. I think he's the safest bet to get 330+ carries and a better option in all formats than his teammate Roddy White.In PPR formats I like Frank Gore. 49ers are a run-first team under Singletary, he has no real competition for carries and is more talented than comparable options like Williams and Mendenhall. I don't get the Jonathan Stewart love, he's clearly number 2 on the depth chart, and although Panthers are going to be a run-first team with a new QB I think they're going to be playing from behind quite a bit while he develops. Could be a few years for that investment to pay off.
A 28 year old RB coming off of a major season-ending injury and with one career top-20 finish to his name as the 5th RB off the board in a startup dynasty league? That's just BEGGING for trouble, imo.
Jonathan Stewart will be 23 at the start of next season. For comparison purposes, Shonn Greene will be 25.If massively run-heavy team (say, San Diego) drafted a 23-year old rookie in the top half of the first round, and everyone was convinced that said rookie was an incredibly elite talent, then everyone on the board would be all freaking over him. Just look at how everyone's all psyched out by Beanie Wells, who didn't even average 50 yards per game rushing last season (and who could barely wrest the starting job away from Tim Hightower). This isn't meant as a shot at Wells, who is a quality dynasty asset, I just don't think he's a true other-level talent.Because Stewart has been in the league for 2 years already, people act like he doesn't have that long of a career still in front of him or something. Jonathan Stewart is the same age as C.J. Spiller, Ryan Matthews, or Toby Gerhart. He's 2 years younger than Shonn Greene or Chris Johnson. He's still LUDICROUSLY young. Like I said, I think people would be best served by thinking of him as sort of like a rookie who might have to sit for a year or two developing behind an established veteran... but one who has already demonstrated that he's an elite talent at the NFL level in the meantime (fantasy RB11 last year).
Stitch said:
So basically those 3 will never be on your team. :towelwave:
Not true. Gore's already on my team, and I'm looking to add SJax, too. But I'd basically never wind up drafting them in a startup draft, yeah. I was just looking to add a bit more information than "I value them lower than most"- specifically, where I value them, and why that valuation would be lower in a startup draft than it would be in an existing dynasty league.

I've been a Steven Jackson fan for a long time and although I think he's got the most talent he's in a horrible situation and he's had such a heavy workload compared to the other options. In non-PPR I'd likely go Michael Turner, he's in a run-heavy offense and is likely to get redzone opportunities - if he, Mughelli and Ryan didn't get injured his numbers would look a lot better than they did. I think he's the safest bet to get 330+ carries and a better option in all formats than his teammate Roddy White.In PPR formats I like Frank Gore. 49ers are a run-first team under Singletary, he has no real competition for carries and is more talented than comparable options like Williams and Mendenhall. I don't get the Jonathan Stewart love, he's clearly number 2 on the depth chart, and although Panthers are going to be a run-first team with a new QB I think they're going to be playing from behind quite a bit while he develops. Could be a few years for that investment to pay off.
A 28 year old RB coming off of a major season-ending injury and with one career top-20 finish to his name as the 5th RB off the board in a startup dynasty league? That's just BEGGING for trouble, imo.
Jonathan Stewart will be 23 at the start of next season. For comparison purposes, Shonn Greene will be 25.If massively run-heavy team (say, San Diego) drafted a 23-year old rookie in the top half of the first round, and everyone was convinced that said rookie was an incredibly elite talent, then everyone on the board would be all freaking over him. Just look at how everyone's all psyched out by Beanie Wells, who didn't even average 50 yards per game rushing last season (and who could barely wrest the starting job away from Tim Hightower). This isn't meant as a shot at Wells, who is a quality dynasty asset, I just don't think he's a true other-level talent.Because Stewart has been in the league for 2 years already, people act like he doesn't have that long of a career still in front of him or something. Jonathan Stewart is the same age as C.J. Spiller, Ryan Matthews, or Toby Gerhart. He's 2 years younger than Shonn Greene or Chris Johnson. He's still LUDICROUSLY young. Like I said, I think people would be best served by thinking of him as sort of like a rookie who might have to sit for a year or two developing behind an established veteran... but one who has already demonstrated that he's an elite talent at the NFL level in the meantime (fantasy RB11 last year).
Stitch said:
So basically those 3 will never be on your team. :headbang:
Not true. Gore's already on my team, and I'm looking to add SJax, too. But I'd basically never wind up drafting them in a startup draft, yeah. I was just looking to add a bit more information than "I value them lower than most"- specifically, where I value them, and why that valuation would be lower in a startup draft than it would be in an existing dynasty league.
:towelwave: On Stewart.Im not sure what people are missing with him, but he is as talented as any RB in the league right now, maybe what Bo Jackson was supposed to be. :moneybag:

Bob Magaw has a great thread brewing here about the next best back after Chris Johnson. Many in the thread had Adrian Peterson, Maurice Jones-Drew and Ray Rice next (in one order or another). The follow up question for me is "who is the RB5" assuming those four (Johnson, Peterson, Jones-Drew and Rice)? This is within the context of a dynasty league. Who do you like?

To me, this is wide open. Is it Frank Gore? DeAngelo Williams? Jonathan Stewart? Steven Jackson? Or maybe one of the young, up-and-coming backs?

Who do you have and why?
I don't see Gore or SJax being major top 10 backs again after 2010. So, in a dynasty, I don't see how they can be RB5. I would go with either Williams or Stewart, and personally, I would prefer Stewart because he is younger and I think more talented. I wouldn't be surprised to see Stewart getting the majority of carries in CAR beginning this season.

I don't see Gore or SJax being major top 10 backs again after 2010. So, in a dynasty, I don't see how they can be RB5.
Out of curiosity, why not?Generally, when I expect an RB to decline, it's either because of age, injury, or because I expect their situation to take a dramatic turn for the worse. Do you believe one of those three things to be looming on the near horizon for either Gore or SJax, or are you expecting decline for another reason that I haven't thought about?

If DeAngelo doesn't resign i'd say Stewart. If he does resign this offseason its really wide open. I couldn't sit on Stewart for two more years knowing he's only going to get 200 carries a season. I'd prolly go with Gore.
I agree..is Williams re-signs, he's going to turn Stewart into Mr Irrelevant...Gore maybe, but when has he ever finished in the RB top 5? people keep putting him in that category but I don't he's he's ever finished in that group, maybe once, but that's it, right? you have every bit as much chance with Ryan Grant finishing as a top 5 RB, as you do with Gorefor my 2 cents, I'll take Shonn Greene as a top 5 RB in 2010...i'd also take Chris Johnson off of the list and replace him with Harrison ( cle) or SD's soon-2-be starting RB, or possibly Michael Bush ( it now appears he's going to be the workhorse for Oakland with Fargas' release)..I'm taking into account the fact that 50% of RB's who finish in top 10 one season, will not be in the top 10 the next season..Johnson's 2k accomplishment was great, but he won't come close to repeating those numbers. Stewart won't sniff 200 carries if Williams is healthy.

It's got to be Clinton Portis. He's going to explode under Shanahan. Look what he did at the Broncos. And he's not even that old. :thumbup:

Gore maybe, but when has he ever finished in the RB top 5? people keep putting him in that category but I don't he's he's ever finished in that group, maybe once, but that's it, right? you have every bit as much chance with Ryan Grant finishing as a top 5 RB, as you do with Gore
Gore has 2 top 5 finishes in the last 4 years in most of my leagues. 2006 & 2009 he was top 5, 2007 he was #8, 2008 he was #13 missing a couple of games. He seems pretty safe to me.

Users who are viewing this thread