What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Who is Allen Hurns? (1 Viewer)

I like him better than Jones, but man that is huge money for your 2nd WR. They'll extend Robinson and Bortles and while they appear to have some cap space now, that's going to be somewhere in the neighborhood of close to $50 for the 3 of them or 1/3 of the cap. They've got $39M in space right now with this $10M, so that should carry over, but that already puts their 2017 cap space at $2M according to Sportrac without the carry over.
I can't speak definitively on Jones, but Hurns has certainly shown more during his two years than Jones during his four. I was mainly just putting those out there because they were the closest comparable contracts.

It has probably been quite some time since a WR2 has eaten up that large a % of cap space. Maybe since Bruce/Holt or Wayne/Harrison. I wonder if this'll impact his ADP at all. Seems like a huge vote of confidence and/or intent to use heavily.

Jaguars are about the last team you need to worry about the cap.

Unless there are other extensions (which is a possibility), Jags will have roughly 30 Mil to carry over (which they will).

All of the Jaguars contracts are pay as you go, so if they really got into a pinch, they could convert salary to bonus. i.e. Malik Jackson will make 13.5 Mil base salary in 2017.

Also, because of the pay as you go approach, there are several long in the tooth veterans who count $4Mil+ who could be cut with limited dead money like....

Poz would free up 5 Mil, Roy Miller 4.1 Mil, Marcedes 3.25
I know they are still in good shape, but I was pretty shocked to already see them that close to the 2017 cap with some big guys (Bortles/Robinson) still coming up (their deals won't really hit until 2018). Those guys combined will likely be in the $35M range, so even with $30M to carry over, they aren't going to be in good shape very long. I was really surprised to see their 2017 cap number (with Hurns now) be almost at the $155 2016 cap number. The carry over will absolutely help, but so much of the big $$$ is very recent deals, so they aren't going to be free wheeling any longer and may have to make some tough calls. For instance, with Hurns, Bortles and Robinson, they would likely be at 2016 cap level in 2018 and that's with only 38 contracted players (including those 3). Nothing like some of the salary cap disaster teams, but they are closer to the cap than you think.

Couple of things:  For a guy to go from nowhere to this kind of deal, Love to see these things. Good for him and shows that as crazy as the NFL seems to be sometimes, there's still a chance for a guy to make himself in the league.

With that being said, I just don't see how Hurns sustains. I think his productivity numbers are skewed and will be hard to live up to and seeing a contract like that makes me think that the Jaguars are in unchartered territory here. They aren't used to managing this kind of talent/contracts and as soon as they address Bortles and Robinson, I think they are going to be in trouble.

Its looking like a scenario where the personnel department is hitting grand slams but the finance department may have never hit a single yet.  THat defense they have is potential-rich and could command a lot of money by themselves.  Hope it works for all of them.

Couple of things:  For a guy to go from nowhere to this kind of deal, Love to see these things. Good for him and shows that as crazy as the NFL seems to be sometimes, there's still a chance for a guy to make himself in the league.

With that being said, I just don't see how Hurns sustains. I think his productivity numbers are skewed and will be hard to live up to and seeing a contract like that makes me think that the Jaguars are in unchartered territory here. They aren't used to managing this kind of talent/contracts and as soon as they address Bortles and Robinson, I think they are going to be in trouble.

Its looking like a scenario where the personnel department is hitting grand slams but the finance department may have never hit a single yet.  THat defense they have is potential-rich and could command a lot of money by themselves.  Hope it works for all of them.
Agreed on Hurns, good for him.

Also, agreed with the escalation of star contracts, it is more difficult to manage. Jax has signed premium FA contracts the past couple years and they've got some high $$$ extensions coming and potentially high $$$ 5th year options. Hurns will be the #10 highest paid WR in 2017 (when extension starts). He'll likely drop a bit, but they'll likely have 2 top 15 paid WRs in 2018 and a top 5 QB (likely 1/3 of their cap in their QB, WR1 and WR2). I don't think they can contend in 2016 with the injuries and youth. They almost have to content in 2017/2018, because I think they are going to have some difficulty cap wise after that. I am not sure if they are quite built for that yet, but who knows. If the D gels quick and the health stays good, they could be a top AFC team soon. The Panthers saw it this year with Josh Norman. I don't care about all their fluff, they realized they couldn't keep him long term and figured they'd bite the bullet this year and use his cap space to retain the guys they like to keep (front 7 on D) and Cam/Olsen (likely Benjamin, but he isn't FA until 2019). The rest of the team is where they go draft/cheaper FAs.

Yeah, after it seems they paid Ivory way more than anyone else would have, it makes you wonder if they didn't pay Hurns more than they had to. But it was wise to do the extension now because some of that signing bonus goes to this year while he's still on a rookie contract. That way they'll be paying him less than $10M/year when his extension kicks in.

As for Hurns sustaining, sure, he won't sustain that TD production, but he wasn't exactly a target hog last year and he caught 61% of his 105 targets (15 games) while suffering from a sports hernia most of the season. I fully expect the Jags to throw the ball less and throw for fewer TDs, but I think if Hurns plays 16 games, he could easily reach 100 targets, maybe 110 if Bortles opts to not throw into double coverage to Allen Robinson. I think he's got a very solid chance of being a 1000/6 guy for years to come as the WR2 in that offense with some obvious upside if they lose Robinson in free agency or if their defense and/or running game falters and he gets more targets.

It's an extension,  they didn't tear up his deal. 

That makes a difference.  It's a 5 year 40.7 mill deal.  Probably a good deal,  using the Sanu scale. 

I'm not getting where their cap trouble is going to come from.  Their cap is fine,  and a Chris Ivory will be gone when it comes time to re-sign other players.  

I wouldn't pretend to have any idea what the 2018 cap will, look like.  For petes sake. 

The Florida Times Union's Ryan O'Halloran "guesses" the Jaguars are shopping Allen Hurns on the trade block.

Hurns has yet to play this preseason despite being relatively healthy. He missed a bunch of action last season due to a severe hamstring strain. GM Dave Caldwell just signed Hurns to a "five-year, $40.6 million" deal last June, but he appears to already be falling out of favor with guys like Marqise Lee playing well last season and rookie Dede Westbrook impressing this summer. Hurns likely wouldn't fetch much in the trade department coming off a really down 2016.

Source: Ryan O'Halloran on Twitter 

Aug 23 - 10:07 AM

Trade would be the best thing to happen to his value. Assuming he doesn't end up in a wasteland, though tough to get much worse than current situation. Saints would seem like a great fit for both sides.

Saints would be golden but my fear is Gang Green--a true wasteland.  Truthfully though, I bet they will have trouble trading him if they really want a mid-round pick because his contract is rich and they probably overpaid him.

The Florida Times Union's Ryan O'Halloran "guesses" the Jaguars are shopping Allen Hurns on the trade block.

Hurns has yet to play this preseason despite being relatively healthy. He missed a bunch of action last season due to a severe hamstring strain. GM Dave Caldwell just signed Hurns to a "five-year, $40.6 million" deal last June, but he appears to already be falling out of favor with guys like Marqise Lee playing well last season and rookie Dede Westbrook impressing this summer. Hurns likely wouldn't fetch much in the trade department coming off a really down 2016.

Source: Ryan O'Halloran on Twitter

Bold is the only news. The rest is Roto guesses. 

This is not as obvious as Roto makes it seem. I'm googling two minutes and I see Robinson and Lee were not expected to play much, if at all, during week one. "OMG Hurns didn't play" really loses it's zing then.

I see he missed a practice for personal reasons and returned. I see Lee is hurt and Burns is expected to start tomorrow.

Saw this "report" yesterday day as well. Makes no sense, his entire $7M salary is guaranteed this year and he has another $4M guaranteed next year, they aren't trading him. Especially since Lee has a HAS injury.

Saw this "report" yesterday day as well. Makes no sense, his entire $7M salary is guaranteed this year and he has another $4M guaranteed next year, they aren't trading him. Especially since Lee has a HAS injury.
You know guaranteed salaries are paid by the new team, right?  2018 salary doesn't guarantee until next March so he's a free cut after the season if they so choose.

No one is trading for that contract
The contract isn't bad at all.  It's $7M, $7M, $7M, $9.5M.  Other WR in that range include Sanu, Crabtree, Robert Woods, Travis Benjamin, Garcon.  Only 2017 is guaranteed (which is irrelevant because if they trade for him they won't cut him this year) so no long term risk.  He's 25 years old and as a 23 year old went for 60/1000/10 in 15 games.  I can't imagine they are truly looking to move him but if they are they will find a partner fast.

What happened to this guy? huge year in '15, signed a huge contract then fell off the face of the earth.  Now kinda sorta the #1, granted on jax, but still.  He's on waivers in all 3 of my leagues...

What happened to this guy? huge year in '15, signed a huge contract then fell off the face of the earth.  Now kinda sorta the #1, granted on jax, but still.  He's on waivers in all 3 of my leagues...
If my bench weren't so short id grab for WR2/3 production.  Bortles was looking for him after ARob went out early.

All the experts seem to be bumping Lee, but my eyes told me Hurns is the #1 now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hit the lottery and see if you stay the same.  

I like Hurns this week. Last year was a combination of injuries to Hurns and Lee finally getting his act together and stealing some targets and PT.  With Allen Robinson out, Hurns is a very good play.

This seems a poorly thought out premise.
So he had a pretty good season a couple years ago with Bortles as his QB, got paid and fell off the face of the Earth. Yet he now has a stud RB ok his team and it's Bortles fault he's been bad? Ok so maybe the coaching is just terrible but the fact remains that he got paid and then proceeded to play a whole lot worse. 

What's your amazing thought process on this?

So he had a pretty good season a couple years ago with Bortles as his QB, got paid and fell off the face of the Earth. Yet he now has a stud RB ok his team and it's Bortles fault he been bad? Ok so maybe the coaching is just terrible but the fact remains that he got paid and then proceeded to play a whole lot worse. 

What's your amazing thought process on 
Bortles threw for 500 fewer yards and 12 fewer TDs in 2016. He had 29 fewer 20+ yard passes and his 40+ dropped over 60%. Yes... there was a demonstrable statistical drop from Bortles.

So he had a pretty good season a couple years ago with Bortles as his QB, got paid and fell off the face of the Earth. Yet he now has a stud RB ok his team and it's Bortles fault he's been bad? Ok so maybe the coaching is just terrible but the fact remains that he got paid and then proceeded to play a whole lot worse. 

What's your amazing thought process on this?
You are going to double down on a check being the cause of a drop in production?

Again - might want to think that through.

I would blame the OC before the QB. But hey you guys know it all and have thought it through correctly. ???

OC doesn't teach the QB to wind up like an 8th grade Nerf QB and bounce it at feet of the receiver.

I don't think.

Second week in a row that FBGs are loving Hurns, but still he sits on both free agent wires.

I don't watch a lot of Jags football. Should this guys be owned as a candidate for garbage time points or does he actually have the talent to go out and score with A Rob down?

I've never understood the lack of love from the Jags or the FF community. Hurns seems like a solid big play WR. Now with Westbrook and Robinson out the way you'd think there would be a rush to grab him but he's still fairly underowned...

I've never understood the lack of love from the Jags or the FF community. Hurns seems like a solid big play WR. Now with Westbrook and Robinson out the way you'd think there would be a rush to grab him but he's still fairly underowned...
Agreed. He was very good in fantasy 2 seasons ago. Last year battled injuries and was buried on the depth chart. This year Hurns and Lee are all they have. He needs to be owned.

I had this same problem last night doing my waivers. I put him over Higgins in my priority order eventually. Some would argue to put Lee in the mix as well. I just feel like Hurns has more experience with the hapless Bortles and Higgins is a boom or bust guy with more potential to bust than boom, mostly because its the browns and I think he will be very inconsistent over the course of the season.

I had this same problem last night doing my waivers. I put him over Higgins in my priority order eventually. Some would argue to put Lee in the mix as well. I just feel like Hurns has more experience with the hapless Bortles and Higgins is a boom or bust guy with more potential to bust than boom, mostly because its the browns and I think he will be very inconsistent over the course of the season.
Depends on what you need. If you need a solid WR for bench depth that you can plug in and and get good production, Hurns is your guy. Higgins is more of a lottery ticket type WR. 

I feel like Hurns is a safe bet for 60-70 yards weekly with a 50% chance of scoring.

John Oehser @JohnOehser 46m

Jaguars WR Allen Hurns (ankle) expected to practice Wednesday after missing the last five games.

Adam Schefter‏ @AdamSchefter 11m11 minutes ago

Jaguars are releasing WR Allen Hurns, per source. Strong market expected for him.

Minnesota could use him as third wr now that Wright was cut. Hyena is better than most on here realize.

Updating a previous item, free agent Allen Hurns will visit the Cowboys on Wednesday due to the heavy snow in the New York-New Jersey area, pushing back his visit with the Jets.

Hurns has allegedly drawn interest from 10-plus teams and appears likely to make multiple visits. He'll visit the Jets after the Cowboys. In Dallas, Hurns could be an upgrade over Terrance Williams on the outside, though Williams' $3.5 million salary is guaranteed, or he could push Cole Beasley out of the slot with Beasley in the final year of his deal and coming off a down season.

Related: Cowboys, Jets

Source: Josina Anderson on Twitter 

Mar 20 - 9:12 PM

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports the Cowboys, Jets, Ravens, and Browns are all "vying" for free agent Allen Hurns.

Hurns met with the Cowboys on Wednesday, and he is also scheduled to speak with the Jets. Based on this report, it would not be surprising to see him travel to Baltimore and Cleveland as well before he makes his final decision. Hurns caught 39 passes for 484 yards and two scores in 10 games with the Jaguars last season.

Related: Jets, Ravens, Browns, Cowboys

Source: Adam Schefter on Twitter 

Mar 22 - 8:56 AM

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2018/03/browns_are_interestd_in_wr_all.html

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- The Browns are in the hunt for former Jaguars receiver Allen Hurns, a league source confirmed for cleveland.com.

...The Jaguars released Hurns this week, after they signed receiver Donte Montcrief to a one-year free agent deal worth about $9.6 million.

Hurns (6-3, 201), had a breakout season in 2015 with 1,031 yards and 10 TDs, but missed 11 games over the past two seasons and was limited to 961 yards and five TDs combined.

Users who are viewing this thread