What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

When to add Vincent Brown in re-draft? (1 Viewer)

BallparkFrank

Footballguy
The Chargers offense seems to be stuck in neutral and the door seems to be open to Vincent Brown potentially being a factor down the stretch. He's currently available in my redraft league (with no IR slots) and likely is out there in many of your leagues as well. How early are you willing to take the plunge to get him on your roster? When will he be back? Floyd seems to have solidified his spot, but can he replace Meachem and/or some of the usual production of Gates? Eddie Royal was a popular sleeper to start preseason - 6 catches so far - meh. Are you buying Brown or is this situation too much of a mess to deal with?

That OL is such a mess. Though that can be said for many of the teams in the NFL with presumably above average QBs. I've heard he's coming back mid-year, but nothing definitive recently.

I thought about adding him and there is roster space for him, but it's best to run a simulation of what your lineups are going to look like thru the bye weeks. I did and in my case and with no account for injuries or nonperformance, I don't see how I would have enough space to hold him for long. If the benches were deeper, maybe now. But in standard leagues, I bet the sweet spot is around week 5 or 6, assuming the worst bye week issues are behind you.

Kevin Acee answered a lot of our questions in just one tweet:

UTKevinAcee ‏@UTKevinAcee

“@jbulger1: Please update Vincent Brown status, his likely return week & when he may be their #1 WR?">Doing more, Week 8, not this year.

I took a flier (16 team, start 3 WR league)

I could use the help at WR, and I have a vacant IR spot so I am using it on him.

Bloom disagrees with Acee:

Sigmund Bloom ‏@SigmundBloom

yes, potential WR1 for SD RT @_Choppa Is it time to start rostering Vincent Brown?

Just went and added him in my league where we have an IR slot. I've scoured some other boards and articles and it seems there's a belief he can be a WR2/3 towards the end of the season which is worth the stash in my situation.

How do these situations with IR players work? Do they bring them off once they are ready to play, is there a deadline to do this, etc?

Just went and added him in my league where we have an IR slot. I've scoured some other boards and articles and it seems there's a belief he can be a WR2/3 towards the end of the season which is worth the stash in my situation.

How do these situations with IR players work? Do they bring them off once they are ready to play, is there a deadline to do this, etc?
As far as I know, there's no deadline.

I think it is a bit early to start rostering him unless its a deep bench or IR spot. Then it is most likely a no-brainer. But in a redraft league with small bench you are going to have to get through bye weeks. Week 7 looks to be the worst bye week and that also coincides with the Chargers bye week. So if you can pick him up before week 7, that looks to be an ideal situation to bring Brown back as he can practice during week 6 and could come back after the bye. Only problem with picking him up now is if you drop him then it alerts everyone else who forgot about him. I did a similar thing with Jerome Simpson and someone scooped him up after I dropped him.

Smart move to stash him on your IR if you have an empty slot anyways. Meachem has been disastrous as a starter so I see now reason why Brown won't be given a shot to start once healthy.

So he's eligible to play Week 9?
Chargers beat writer Kevin Acee predicts that he will return in Week 9. In Weeks 9 - 11, SD faces KC, TB, and DEN.However, at http://boltbeat.com/2012/10/19/when-is-vincent-brown-returning/ it sounds a little less optimistic:

“I don’t think we can put a game on (his return). He’s in the middle of his rehab, and he’s like any other guy who has an injury. He’s got to go one step at a time, and when you take one step, then you see where he’s at and you see if he can make it to that next step. He has not been on the field yet. It will be a while before we give you specific timing on when he’ll be able to play.”

Last edited by a moderator:
Chargers beat writer Kevin Acee predicts that he will return in Week 9. In Weeks 9 - 11, SD faces KC, TB, and DEN.However, at http://boltbeat.com/2012/10/19/when-is-vincent-brown-returning/ it sounds a little less optimistic:

“I don’t think we can put a game on (his return). He’s in the middle of his rehab, and he’s like any other guy who has an injury. He’s got to go one step at a time, and when you take one step, then you see where he’s at and you see if he can make it to that next step. He has not been on the field yet. It will be a while before we give you specific timing on when he’ll be able to play.”
Most recent thing I can find is essentially no news, not at practice yesterday.No updates as of 10/22

Most recent thing I can find is essentially no news, not at practice yesterday.No updates as of 10/22
Found a little bit more:
Brown eligible to return

It’s been nearly two months since Vincent Brown last stepped on the practice field.

Beginning this week, he can.

That doesn’t mean he will.

The Chargers wide receiver is approaching the next stage in his recovery from a broken ankle. He has a 21-day window in which he can join teammates at practice, having been six weeks removed from when the team placed him on injured reserve Sept. 4 with a designation to return later this year.

Coach Norv Turner said Brown isn’t ready to hit the practice field yet.

“He’s got to be healthy,” Turner said.

Brown is eligible to be active for games as early as Nov. 1 against the Chiefs.

The second-year veteran, injured Aug. 18 in the second preseason game on a touchdown against the Cowboys, is one of three Chargers players inactive due to injury.
Source: http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2012/oct/15/chargers-notes-mathews-plays-well-wishes-more/So he was eligible to practice 10/15 but didn't return and so far hasn't as of 10/22. He could return as early as 11/1 vs. KC but that's starting to not look very likely.

Chargers | Vincent Brown could miss at least four more weeks Thu, 25 Oct 2012 16:51:26 -0700

San Diego Chargers WR Vincent Brown (ankle) is not ready to return to practice at this point and could miss at least four more weeks. Head coach Norv Turner said Brown is in the middle of his rehab but is making good progress.

0 Comments | Source: CBSSports.com - Dan McLellan | Share:

Chargers | Vincent Brown could miss at least four more weeks Thu, 25 Oct 2012 16:51:26 -0700

San Diego Chargers WR Vincent Brown (ankle) is not ready to return to practice at this point and could miss at least four more weeks. Head coach Norv Turner said Brown is in the middle of his rehab but is making good progress.

0 Comments | Source: CBSSports.com - Dan McLellan | Share:
I found the same on Rotoworld. Here it is...it repeats some of what you said but expands upon it a little more so I'll post it:Vincent Brown (broken ankle) could be out for another month.

Brown broke his ankle in the preseason and was then placed on the injured reserve as the team's "designated for return" player. The second-year wideout is eligible to play this week against Cleveland, but that's not going to happen since he has yet to practice. "[brown] is continuing through his rehab and I think he is making good progress," coach Norv Turner said. "He is in the middle of rehab. So, what he is able to do, we will find out probably in the next month." Brown will likely challenge Robert Meachem for playing time once he returns.

I'm thinking about cutting Brown at this point. Missing at least four more weeks puts him at week 12...if he's ready to play. As much as I would love to have this guy on my roster, the guy isn't even practicing yet.

I'm thinking of picking up Chris Givens, or Ryan Broyles if I were to drop Brown.

I'm thinking about cutting Brown at this point. Missing at least four more weeks puts him at week 12...if he's ready to play. As much as I would love to have this guy on my roster, the guy isn't even practicing yet.I'm thinking of picking up Chris Givens, or Ryan Broyles if I were to drop Brown.
If you have IR, consider holding 1-2 more weeks if you can afford it. It says up to four more weeks, not at least 4 more weeks. He is in the middle of rehab so there's at least a bright side.Of course, if you're in redraft and have other pressing issues, a week 11-12 return isn't going to be of much help. And if you don't have IR, definitely there is an opportunity cost -- I'd certainly drop him and pursue Givens or Broyles at this point.

I don't have an IR spot in my redraft league but don't mind holding onto him.

My concern is them shutting him down but they are 3-3, with a winnable slate of games upcoming.

No IR in our 17 spot roster league, 5-player keeper league PPR.

I'm going to keep Brown, but decided get Givens by cutting Danny Woodhead. I've got Shaddy, RgBush, TRich & Hardesty at RB. My WRs have been wildy inconsistent: StJohnson, Torrey, Britt, Rice and DHB. Getting Givens gives me more depth and a shot at a trade to land a better WR and he's been pretty consistent over the last three games.

Now when Brown comes back, if he can perform like we all hope he can, then I'm really setting my team up for the playoffs.

Honestly if the guy has only played in a couple of limited snaps games by week 14, who is going to feel comfortable rolling him out in any kind of playoff do or die type of situation?

Even if you were assured of getting Malcolm Floyd numbers it wouldn't be worth holding him for 2 months or w/e people have been doing. The odds of him immediately jumping in ahead of Floyd when he has never been ahead of him in the past are tiny

I'm holding on to him but mostly because I'm in a 3 player keeper league... just hoping he shows some of his potential by the end of the year, vaunting him into the WR1 for SD next year.

'Area51Inhabitant said:
Honestly if the guy has only played in a couple of limited snaps games by week 14, who is going to feel comfortable rolling him out in any kind of playoff do or die type of situation?
This is exactly how I'm feeling too. He's in my IR slot right now, but I'm very close to dropping him.

Had him stashed on my IR in a couple of leagues. Can't hurt to keep him unless you habe another IR eligible player on your roster.

Currently carrying Amendola, Greg Jennings and Beanie Wells.

Interesting prospect ... but I think I have enough hurt guys right now.

This is exactly how I'm feeling too. He's in my IR slot right now, but I'm very close to dropping him.
I agree with this too. I picked him up a few weeks back and dropped him this week for Broyles. No way am I going to roll Brown out in the money games.

More bad news for those holding on to Vincent Brown:

Vincent Brown (broken ankle, I.R./designated for return) is still unable to run and is not expected back in the near future.

Brown fractured his left ankle in mid-August and no longer appears to be recovering on schedule. There were initially hopes he'd return by Week 9. That's obviously not going to happen, and a Week 11 or 12 return now looks more realistic. "I don't expect him back real soon," coach Norv Turner said Monday.

'just_want_2_win said:
More bad news for those holding on to Vincent Brown:Vincent Brown (broken ankle, I.R./designated for return) is still unable to run and is not expected back in the near future.Brown fractured his left ankle in mid-August and no longer appears to be recovering on schedule. There were initially hopes he'd return by Week 9. That's obviously not going to happen, and a Week 11 or 12 return now looks more realistic. "I don't expect him back real soon," coach Norv Turner said Monday.
In a deep league with IR - still hold. You never know who might get injured on your team by Week 11 and Brown could show up well and be there for you in Week 12. I'd bet not - but if he's on your IR already - why not?

Dropped him in my redraft league. Have him in one dynasty and will hold, but if a halfway decent offer comes across I'd be tempted.

Users who are viewing this thread