What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Will last year's historically low drop in scoring continue into 2023? (1 Viewer)

Scoresman

Footballguy
Now that the draft is done, it's time to start work on projections. When doing projections, I look at teams holistically before diving into individual projections.

One interesting takeaway from last year was the historic low level of touchdowns, specifically passing touchdowns. Passing TDs leaguewide were down 10.3% from the previous three year average. That counts for 86 fewer TDs. There was not a corresponding dip in passing attempts (0.7% change from previous 3 years) and only a slight dip in passing yards (3.3%).

What was the reason for this, and will it continue?

Doing some research on the internet, there seems to be a few theories on what is going on:

1. Increased usage of "two-high" safety defense, which is implemented to prevent deep passing. It seems to be effective since average DOT has been going down recently. Last year DOT was about a yard less than average. Many coaches and QBs were quoted at various times last year saying this type of formation was frustrating because it prevented deep heaves and forced checkdowns and underneath passes.

2. Poor Offensive Line play. In doing research, it seems like a few people are blaming this on poor offensive line play for a lot of the usual top offenses, at least in the first half of the season. Have not yet looked at any numbers to back this up.

3. Aging star QBs. Brady and Rodgers were the last of a golden era of QBs and did not have great years. I'm not sure this would explain such a sudden drop. Maybe a lot of the next gen QBs like Hurts, Allen and Jackson being run heavy plays a part too.

4. Personnel shake-ups. There was a record tying 10 coaching changes in 2022. We saw a lot of top scoring offenses lose top receiving threats leaving for new teams.

Assuming some or all of these factors played a role, what does it mean for scoring in 2023? Of note, the last time we saw low scoring numbers like this was 2017, and then in 2018 scoring bounced back over 10% to normal levels again. Does that happen again here? Is this just a blip in the radar or will the low scoring continue until the NFL makes some rule changes to get it back up again?

I think this is a very important question to try to answer because it's potentially close to a 100 touchdown swing between this being a blip on the radar and projecting numbers to go back to normal, or projecting this downturn to stick around.

Defenses have a way of catching up with offenses. Rule changes over the years have helped the offenses but last year not enough. OCs gotta come up with a counter punch.

I felt like I heard teams in 2022 were running the ball more than in recent years. Could be a response to the combination of lighter defensive fronts being employed and the 2 high safeties making boxes lighter.

I felt like I heard teams in 2022 were running the ball more than in recent years. Could be a response to the combination of lighter defensive fronts being employed and the 2 high safeties making boxes lighter.
They were running the ball more, by about 3%. But rushing TDs were down slightly, 1.5%.

Not really enough to totally compensate.

They were running the ball more, by about 3%. But rushing TDs were down slightly, 1.5%.

Considering there are about 34000 offensive plays each season? That is over 1,000 more total rushing attempts. Might have contributed some what to the scoring dip. Rushing TDs being down while rushing attempts being up makes sense. Most rushing TDs are likely the result of a pass play getting the team into scoring position.

Considering there are about 34000 offensive plays each season? That is over 1,000 more total rushing attempts. Might have contributed some what to the scoring dip. Rushing TDs being down while rushing attempts being up makes sense. Most rushing TDs are likely the result of a pass play getting the team into scoring position.
879 more rushing attempts last year vs the 3 prior years average.

Seems like some teams were indeed countering with this.

Seems like an historic low passing season coincided with an historic number of teams with trash at QB.

At various times last year we saw Bret Rypien, Sam Darnold, Zach Wilson, Colt McCoy, Trace McSorley, David Blaugh, Mariotta, Ridder, Huntley, Mayfield, PJ Walker, Darnold, Siemian, Peterman, Ryan, Ellingher, Foles, Wentz, etc, etc, etc

Not to mention the struggles of Mac Jones & Russell Wilson. And at times, Tom Brady.

All told there were 69 quarterbacks who started games (nice). Here’s the full list in all it’s uh, glory

That’s gotta contribute to low scoring i would think.

Maybe the influx of ARich, Love, Young, & Stroud will help. Maybe some surprises as well.

Seems like an historic low passing season coincided with an historic number of teams with trash at QB.

At various times last year we saw Bret Rypien, Sam Darnold, Zach Wilson, Colt McCoy, Trace McSorley, David Blaugh, Mariotta, Ridder, Huntley, Mayfield, PJ Walker, Darnold, Siemian, Peterman, Ryan, Ellingher, Foles, Wentz, etc, etc, etc

Not to mention the struggles of Mac Jones & Russell Wilson. And at times, Tom Brady.

All told there were 69 quarterbacks who started games (nice). Here’s the full list in all it’s uh, glory

That’s gotta contribute to low scoring i would think.

Maybe the influx of ARich, Love, Young, & Stroud will help. Maybe some surprises as well.
I'm sure there are several reasons, but this is my main premise. We're in the process of one of the bigger QB transitions in recent memory and that showed up in the numbers. Several of the steady old guard fell off and/or got injured: Rodgers, Brady, Stafford, Wilson, Carr, Lamar, Murray, even Ryan. And even top tier guys like Herbert took a step back.

I think Hot Sauce Guy hit on the key...an unusual number of trash QBs saw playing time last year. A couple of the better overall QBs didn't post high passing TD totals even thought they played very well overall. (Hurts being the poster child for this....he RAN a lot of TDs in but didn't actually pass for a high number)
I would expect the numbers to come back up to something closer to the previous three years

Bumping this for this year because 2023 was even worse for NFL scoring than last year and this type of thing is very important for player projections. A lot of people predicted a bounce back, but it did not happen.

Passing offense nearly matched 2022's lows exactly. So no improvement there.

Rushing offense was down about 8-10 percent compared to previous 3 year average too. Both yards and TDs. Rushing attempts, however, were not down, staying near league averages.

Various articles I've read blame it on the following

1) Continued dip in passing due to the "changing of the guard" at QB.
2) Continued poor offensive line play.
3) Shorter preseason leading to sloppy offenses to start the year.
4) Zone defenses that are forcing offenses to be more efficient, with less explosive plays. Offenses definitely did not successfully adapt to this in 2023.

I think it's definitely a combination of the above, especially 1 and 4. But I feel like when these young QBs get more experience, the numbers should rebound a bit over the next few seasons.

The NFL over the years has changed rules to keep offenses scoring, which seems to be what they want for ratings. For whatever reason defenses keep finding ways to shut offenses down despite that . If NFL offenses can't keep up I'm sure more rule changes will be helping them out soon.

The NFL over the years has changed rules to keep offenses scoring, which seems to be what they want for ratings. For whatever reason defenses keep finding ways to shut offenses down despite that . If NFL offenses can't keep up I'm sure more rule changes will be helping them out soon.

I agree but I don't know what they can do about the zone schemes that seem to be really hampering explosive plays. Most rule changes these days seem to be more in favor of preventing serious injuries.

Users who are viewing this thread