What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What's the outlook for 2nd year WR's? (1 Viewer)

Hu-Tang Clan

Footballguy
The biggest jump in player's development is from year one to two, so what are some thoughts on the 2nd year wr's? Obviously Michael Thomas started off with a big rookie year and is being drafted pretty high. Shepard had a nice season but the Giants went and grabbed Marshall and drafted Engram. Tyreek saw the #1 WR on the team leave so there is plenty of upside for him.

What does the Shark Pool think of the next 2-4 years for guys like Shepard, Tyler Boyd, Eli Rogers, Josh Doctson, Malcolm Mitchell, Will Fuller, etc? Who takes a big leap in 2017 and who might be a year behind?

I know this, people give up on them in fantasy way too easily, so its fairly easy to get them cheap. 

I am high on fuller, Doctson and Boyd. Shep did well as a rook, Rogers has more WRs in the mix and Mitchell may not see the field. 

I am the biggest fan of Coleman if they can get a QB to throw to him accurately and often. 

I'm the most bullish on Doctson but he kind of has the hardest road to play-time behind Pryor and Crowder I think.  Never was a big Treadwell fan and I think Thielen and Diggs take more control of that offense.  Coleman is a good buy low but I still don't expect much out of him this year with the QB issues (although looking better).  I don't think Fuller or Boyd are worth anyone's time cause they won't be studs.  Ever.  At best they're a low end WR2 which just doesn't really interest me cause I can get other guys for the same price I actually like there.  Who else is there?  Malcolm Mitchell could do well but he'll be hit or miss every week I'd bet with 3-5 good weeks through the year.  Braxton Miller is interesting since I don't like Fuller and he seems to be cheaper, hoping for the exact same path as Pryor took to his breakout last year.  Carroo I liked coming out as a Landry replacement but he hasn't exactly made a good impression so far.  Stash and see?  Is that most of the names?  

I had some high hopes for Fuller, as a deep threat receiver like Wallace, djax, etc. But then the Texans drafted a weak arm qb who is more likely to run for a 90 yard score than to throw one.

Hu-Tang Clan said:
The biggest jump in player's development is from year one to two, so what are some thoughts on the 2nd year wr's? Obviously Michael Thomas started off with a big rookie year and is being drafted pretty high. Shepard had a nice season but the Giants went and grabbed Marshall and drafted Engram. Tyreek saw the #1 WR on the team leave so there is plenty of upside for him.

What does the Shark Pool think of the next 2-4 years for guys like Shepard, Tyler Boyd, Eli Rogers, Josh Doctson, Malcolm Mitchell, Will Fuller, etc? Who takes a big leap in 2017 and who might be a year behind?
Shepard - I still like him long term... had an underrated rookie year, but obviously the targets are going to take a dip in year 2. Should something happen to Marshall or OBJ, he could put up WR2 numbers (and that's what I expect in 2018 or 2019). If not, I'm expecting WR4 numbers for 2017.

Boyd - I think all Cincy WRs will feel the pain from the likely terrible OL over there (even more so if Eifert is healthy and drawing targets). Boyd was also replaced by Ross after just one year. I think he'll be a name soon forgotten.

Rogers - He's been in my blind spot, so I don't know enough about him to comment on his future, but would think he's probably buried behind Brown/Bryant for a few years.

Doctson - old for a rookie and the achilles tendons are important for explosion. I liked him as a prospect, but the injury scares me. To me he's a gamble so whether he's worth it will depend on his price. I'm expecting Pryor to be the WR1 in 2017, though. 2018 would be Doctson's chance. For redraft, I'd rather have Kevin White... he's a 3rd year guy, but I'm just saying from a situation/value standpoint for an unknown, White seems like a better value and to me his injuries are less scary pertaining to affecting his athleticism. 

Mitchell - I like this one, but like Rogers he's buried behind Cooks and Edelman for a couple years. He's a guy I would watch on the waivers in redraft to snag if there's an injury to Cooks or Edelman, and I'd like to acquire him on the cheap in dynasty.

Fuller - I expect him to linger in everyone's minds longer than Boyd due to his draft pedigree, but I don't think it'll be justified. He's a poor man's Ted Ginn... just to clarify, Ginn was just barely good enough to be fantasy relevant for a few seasons. Fuller won't make that cut. Like Zyphros, I'll be watching Miller carefully, but don't expect that offense to be WR friendly.

Coleman - I really like him. I think he shows us why he was the first WR off the board this year if he can stay healthy. He's still got some learning to do and the QB situation isn't good, but I think he puts up WR3 numbers at a WR5 price.

Treadwell - he's going to need a Diggs or Thielen injury, but Diggs has been good at getting injured. 

Honestly I don't think I want any of these guys on my team regardless of the round. I do want Hill though. I feel he is in for a big year.

Last edited by a moderator:
Two names to keep an eye out for

Leonte Carroo: Played sparingly last season but Miami has space behind Jarvis Landry & DeVante Parker. His main competition is Kenny Stills and a handful of rookies. If Stills gets injured, Carroo could see a boost in quality playing time there.

Chris Moore: Like Carroo, played sparingly but was seeing time early in the season. Maclin, Wallace, and Perriman get the buzz but Perriman's been injured a ton and Maclin's coming off a disappointing year in Kansas City (3 of his last 4 years he's been under 12.5 YPR). It remains to be seen whether Wallace can replicate his near career best catch rate from last season too (53.8, 51.8, 58.3, 54.2, then 62.1% last year).

Shepard - I still like him long term... had an underrated rookie year, but obviously the targets are going to take a dip in year 2. Should something happen to Marshall or OBJ, he could put up WR2 numbers (and that's what I expect in 2018 or 2019). If not, I'm expecting WR4 numbers for 2017.

Doctson - old for a rookie and the achilles tendons are important for explosion. I liked him as a prospect, but the injury scares me. To me he's a gamble so whether he's worth it will depend on his price. I'm expecting Pryor to be the WR1 in 2017, though. 2018 would be Doctson's chance. For redraft, I'd rather have Kevin White... he's a 3rd year guy, but I'm just saying from a situation/value standpoint for an unknown, White seems like a better value and to me his injuries are less scary pertaining to affecting his athleticism. 

Mitchell - I like this one, but like Rogers he's buried behind Cooks and Edelman for a couple years. He's a guy I would watch on the waivers in redraft to snag if there's an injury to Cooks or Edelman, and I'd like to acquire him on the cheap in dynasty.
I like these three the most but my guess is they start their breakout in the 2018 season.

For Shepard it will depend on how long Marshall is around for but I like his chances moving forward.

Same thing goes for Mitchell. This year there are probably too many mouths to feed for him to be consistent but if Edelman starts to drop off at all then maybe that pushes Cooks more into the slot.

Hu-Tang Clan said:

Rogers is 3rd year.

Shepard has a lot in his way.  Adding Marshall and Engram really clouds his picture.  I like the guy, I don't like the situation.  Boyd could end up surprising.  His ceiling is pretty limited but with the health of Eifart and Ross nothing to bet on, Boyd could end up with a big possession/chain-mover/red zone type role. 

Hu-Tang Clan said:

All of those guys have serious problems with volume for 2017 fantasy. 

Users who are viewing this thread