What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Wendell Smallwood (1 Viewer)

Do we expect Smallwood to take over from Sproles and get TDs poached by Blount?  Is Clement a threat to make it a complete mess? 
He is making rookie mistakes so he won't be out there on all downs and perhaps not in crunch time...  but the eyeball test when he has the ball in his hands > Smallwood.

He is making rookie mistakes so he won't be out there on all downs and perhaps not in crunch time...  but the eyeball test when he has the ball in his hands > Smallwood.
As mentioned elsewhere, Clement scored his TD late in the game when it was on the line. So it's not for a lack of trust by the coaches.

Probably most important Smallwood made a good play in pass protection last week which has been a big negative for him. A lot of usage will depend on who they feel best about in pass pro. I would say the answer is "not Smallwood" but Doug P may give him some chances based on good mojo last week. Blount is probably the best pass pro left, which is a reason for concern. Based on preseason I think Clement is better at pass pro than Smallwood but that is not to say he is trustworthy there.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm holding because I have Sproles as a RB4. 

Agree he looks shaky in pass pro, but if Sproles goes down I could see Smallwood having a nice stretch of production in PPR formats. 

I think he's one of the more compelling Handcuffs/lottery tickets due to caliber of team around him, and Sproles being 127 years old and a huge injury risk. 
Well, here is the chance.

Well, here is the chance.
Yep - and while I hate to see Sproles go down, I can't help but think this improves FFB production through consolidation. 3-headed monster becomes 2, and Sproles should be the primary ball carrier with Blount basically having the same short yardage role. 

Kind of excited to see what Smallwood can do now that he's finally got the gig 

Yep - and while I hate to see Sproles go down, I can't help but think this improves FFB production through consolidation. 3-headed monster becomes 2, and Sproles should be the primary ball carrier with Blount basically having the same short yardage role. 

Kind of excited to see what Smallwood can do now that he's finally got the gig 
You mean 4-headed to 3-headed.

- Corey Clement

You mean 4-headed to 3-headed.

- Corey Clement
I'm not buying Clement having a significant role. FFB geeks really, really want him to. Philly homers want him to. But this is a 2-back offense, with Smallwood likely to dominate carries. 

If you're trying to buy low on Smallwood it's a good narrative to push, but looking at last week's production and reading the OC's comments about Smallwood it seems pretty clear who the lead dog is. 

Blount & Clement will carve up what's left with Blount getting short yardage. 

I'm not buying Clement having a significant role. FFB geeks really, really want him to. Philly homers want him to. But this is a 2-back offense, with Smallwood likely to dominate carries. 

If you're trying to buy low on Smallwood it's a good narrative to push, but looking at last week's production and reading the OC's comments about Smallwood it seems pretty clear who the lead dog is. 

Blount & Clement will carve up what's left with Blount getting short yardage. 
We'll see.  Smallwood has yet to do much of anything running the ball, and 9 career receptions doesn't exactly scream dual threat.  I'm fading this whole Eagles RB situation personally.

We'll see.  Smallwood has yet to do much of anything running the ball, and 9 career receptions doesn't exactly scream dual threat.  I'm fading this whole Eagles RB situation personally.
Smallwood is a weekly 12-15 point flex option or my name isn't Rufus J Smitherwikens*.

*its not, but he is.

Probably most important Smallwood made a good play in pass protection last week which has been a big negative for him. A lot of usage will depend on who they feel best about in pass pro. I would say the answer is "not Smallwood" but Doug P may give him some chances based on good mojo last week. Blount is probably the best pass pro left, which is a reason for concern. Based on preseason I think Clement is better at pass pro than Smallwood but that is not to say he is trustworthy there.
One of Smallwood's strengths out of college was pass pro:

Bottom Line

Smallwood changed West Virginia from an "Air Raid" offense to a "ground and pound" attack. Smallwood's tape features few, true flash plays, but the quality runs seem to stack up one after another. His intelligence in pass pro and ability to catch the ball out of the backfield give him an immediate shot as a third-down back

One of Smallwood's strengths out of college was pass pro:
Here's some google results to back up my claim. I can't speak to his WV performance but it hasn't clicked for him in the NFL yet. Air Raid is not equal to the NFL as far as what backs are required to do.

https://twitter.com/evansilva/status/900863235083177988

https://www.fantasypros.com/nfl/news/81849/wendell-smallwood-needs-to-improve-pass-protection.php

https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/football/news/eagles-wendell-smallwood-splits-first-team-work/

I missed on this guy on my FAAB. I think anyone in PPR has a potential weekly flex starter, maybe even a RB2. 

Could be one of those situations to completely avoid (like NYG), but I think Smallwood definitely holds some significant value

I am really trying to talk myself into starting Smallwood today but I have reservations. I posted this in the Hyde thread as we were discussing options to Hyde as he is injured. Thought it might be useful here, probably not but these are my reservations about Smallwood. I was comparing him to my other option of Abdullah.

Yeah I do actually find Smallwood intriguing and Abdullah has not been anything special so far this season, or in his career truly. Plus the Chargers represent an easier match up on paper.

However we know nothing about how Smallwood will be used or how long his leash will be. He is unlikely to be a factor at the goal line (also a knock on Abdullah) or how much volume he will get in the passing game. He also has a legitimate X-factor behind him in Clement. Finally, and this is just my opinion but I think the Chargers are better than their record suggests and this could be a tough game for Phi in general although I don't want to get too far into potential game script analysis.

Abdullah OTOH looks like a safe bet for 17 touches (2 targets), and he is not a liability in the passing game if anything happens to Riddick (not a stretch to imagine). He may not get goal line looks but D.Washington is out (I think) and he hasn't been completely ignored in the red zone. Abdullah also looks like the Lions most complete back and he has shown a little explosiveness in the past, not a ton but it is only his third season btw. His usage has also been independent of game script so far. Leading, trailing etc he still gets his volume.

The biggest argument in favor of Smallwood, and it is a significant one, is he has a vastly superior offensive line. But without any other information from actual game usage he really represents nothing more than a WTF roll of the dice. We cannot say with any certainty that Smallwood has greater upside.

Abdullah vs Smallwood looks like a classic volume play vs the shiny unknown. 

I may change my mind before AM kickoff but, right now, Abdullah just feels like the safer play.

Anyone want to convince me otherwise?

@Chaka, I think if you are favored to win you run with Abdullah. If you need something big you run with Smallwood who has a more unknown outcome. Anything else are variables out of your control and its nice to have this clarity. It lets me off the hook when I second guess my mistakes.Typically all start sits come to this point unless you and an opponent are closely matched. At that point flip a coin. Or dive into over analysis if you want the headache ?

Solid performance from Smallwood this week. Wasn't happy that Clement got as much run as he did but Smallwood led the team in snap % (44% to 33% for Blount and 24% for Clement) and tied with Blount for utilization with 16 opportunites (rushes + targets).  The fact that it was a 3 yard TD run is also encouraging as is 4 catches for 45 yards while the other two backs had one target combined.

You probably can't get much in return as a trade option (I was rejected quickly when I tried to get Sammy Watkins, was that truly an unreasonable ask? I don't know) but he may be the kind of back that allows one to trade a better back on your roster. For example I am now aggressively trying to move Carlos Hyde and am open to moving Jordan Howard because of my depth pick ups like Smallwood and Alex Collins (Doug Martin coming off suspension also makes the decision easier).

Solid performance from Smallwood this week. Wasn't happy that Clement got as much run as he did but Smallwood led the team in snap % (44% to 33% for Blount and 24% for Clement) and tied with Blount for utilization with 16 opportunites (rushes + targets).  The fact that it was a 3 yard TD run is also encouraging as is 4 catches for 45 yards while the other two backs had one target combined.

You probably can't get much in return as a trade option (I was rejected quickly when I tried to get Sammy Watkins, was that truly an unreasonable ask? I don't know) but he may be the kind of back that allows one to trade a better back on your roster. For example I am now aggressively trying to move Carlos Hyde and am open to moving Jordan Howard because of my depth pick ups like Smallwood and Alex Collins (Doug Martin coming off suspension also makes the decision easier).
Passing down role is a good base to start from but Pederson, like Payton, is infuriating with how he is constantly shuttling RBs. It seems as if they are deliberately trying to mess with us. But if he can wrestle away ~50% of goal line looks, we may have something here. Not sure that is possible but who knows with Pederson. No I don't think Watkins was an unreasonable ask. 

Even without Sproles, this thing still looks like a jumbled mess to be avoided.  Not sure how you could feel good starting Smallwood.

Passing down role is a good base to start from but Pederson, like Payton, is infuriating with how he is constantly shuttling RBs. It seems as if they are deliberately trying to mess with us. But if he can wrestle away ~50% of goal line looks, we may have something here. Not sure that is possible but who knows with Pederson. No I don't think Watkins was an unreasonable ask. 
He had the goalline touch only after multiple shots with Blount (who also had just ran the ball on a 68 yd run that drive), so Blount was pretty beat.

I don't see 50% of the goal line looks for Smallwood. Blount is their hammer and has, by far the most red zone looks of the Phi RBs with 10.  Sproles and Smallwood have 6 combined.  Inside the 5 Blount has 8 looks and Smallwood has 1, Clement has 1 and Sproles had 0.

Smallwood's value is in PPR but, again, he looks like he will be their most utilized back going forward.

Even without Sproles, this thing still looks like a jumbled mess to be avoided.  Not sure how you could feel good starting Smallwood.
For me, it's easy - if he's locked into a role that provides double-digit touches on an offense I believe will be effective I'm in. I think Smallwood is the best Sproles replacement of the Eagles' RBs. What was encouraging about Week 4 was not only was he involved as a receiver but he got 10 rushing attempts as well. Yes Blount went off but Smallwood got his 10 and factored into the passing game more prominently. Given how I think this team will still be a pass-first offense most weeks Smallwood then will carry no worse than RB3 value in PPR with the upside for more if he continues to be given a respectable number of rushing attempts.

I had viewed him as a RB3 in PPR after the Sproles injury and started him last week in the one league where I had him. Based on his running game involvement I could see him inching closer to low-end RB2 status in PPR. I'm a huge Wentz fan and like this offense a lot. Smallwood isn't Sproles but I think you're looking at an 8-10 point floor most weeks in PPR with the potential for more based on the matchup.

Dropped him. I don’t know how much value he holds for non-PPR in a three headed committee and missing week 5 isn’t likely to help...

I don't get the questionable tag.  Three straight practices missed.  Shouldn't he be listed doubtful?  It's not like the Eagles can throw off the Cardinals by doing this.

I don't get the questionable tag.  Three straight practices missed.  Shouldn't he be listed doubtful?  It's not like the Eagles can throw off the Cardinals by doing this.
They may be trying, as Smallwood has more "scat-back" to him then either Blount or Clement.

Suprised to see him as a RB2/RB3 in fbg rankings, seems like he might be on a lot of WW for spot flex.

bb7278 said:
Suprised to see him as a RB2/RB3 in fbg rankings, seems like he might be on a lot of WW for spot flex.
He had 27 touches in his last two games before his injury. Double-digit carries in both games, even with Blount doing well. Of all the RBs on the roster he's the one with the skill set most closely comparable to what Sproles provided. Barner played 40% of the snaps last week with Smallwood out so it's not unrealistic to assume Smallwood gets at least that much of a share now that he's back. I would give him an 8-10 point floor in PPR this week in a probable shootout with the potential for 15-20 if things break right and/or he scores again. I'm surprised he isn't being talked about more this week. I have him in three leagues and he's locked into the starting lineup in all of them as either my RB2 or a flex. 

He had 27 touches in his last two games before his injury. Double-digit carries in both games, even with Blount doing well. Of all the RBs on the roster he's the one with the skill set most closely comparable to what Sproles provided. Barner played 40% of the snaps last week with Smallwood out so it's not unrealistic to assume Smallwood gets at least that much of a share now that he's back. I would give him an 8-10 point floor in PPR this week in a probable shootout with the potential for 15-20 if things break right and/or he scores again. I'm surprised he isn't being talked about more this week. I have him in three leagues and he's locked into the starting lineup in all of them as either my RB2 or a flex. 
Awesome, 12-15 touches seems totally realistic.

I've been talking myself out of dropping him for Ivory as my RB5 this week, Smallwood practicing in full sealed it for me yesterday.

I hope he can stay healthy because there is a sizable ROS role for him on a high-powered offense.

This is another of the many confusing RBs.  I feel like he is a low end RB2/flex and has a defined role which makes him more appealing than many of the other lottery RBs. 

This is another of the many confusing RBs.  I feel like he is a low end RB2/flex and has a defined role which makes him more appealing than many of the other lottery RBs. 
Short term he's a good bye week filler. When they get further along in the season I believe they'll rely more and more on Blount but Smallwood will still have the Sproles role, but he's a pretty average RB IMO. Gonna have a decent career but he'll never be the man.

Anyone know what happened to this guy today.  He really screwed me.  Put in him b/c liked the matchup. I'm in a close game and could've really used some points.

Anyone know what happened to this guy today.  He really screwed me.  Put in him b/c liked the matchup. I'm in a close game and could've really used some points.
Philly for the past few weeks has just been going with Blount  mostly. Not sure if that's factually accurate lol, idk the snap counts, but it has felt that way from the games I've seen.

Well looking at stat line now. clement got 10 carries, Blount 16 and Smallwood 1.  Smallwood's obviously been phased out and no reason i can see to own. Maybe Clement's worth grabbing as a flyer.

Well looking at stat line now. clement got 10 carries, Blount 16 and Smallwood 1.  Smallwood's obviously been phased out and no reason i can see to own. Maybe Clement's worth grabbing as a flyer.
He's recently been coming off a knee injury too, so they could just be playing it safe.

They still like Smallwood by all accounts, but Blount was going good and this team is just going to do what they need to win. Would not try to rely on any one back, if I were any of y'all.

Wendell Smallwood rushed 18 times for 51 yards in the Eagles' Week 6 win over the Giants.

Smallwood failed to record a gain on his lone reception. He also fumbled but managed to recover it. Smallwood got the start and out-touched Corey Clement 19-14, but Clement out-gained him 69-51. Clement also tallied the Eagles' lone backfield score. Clement certainly looked like the better player. Smallwood won't be much of a FLEX when the Eagles host the Panthers in Week 7.

Oct 12 - 12:05 AM

He's interesting and he's not.

Het go 19 touches, which is amazing for a waiver pickup.  He got 51 yards with it. 

Not a lot of guys on fa/waivers with the potential for 15+ touches.  But, he could lose touches back to Clement.  And then the trade talks. 

I don't think that PHI is going to trade for anyone.

But Sproles will come back at some point. I don't think Smallwood will see the kind of work he saw last night again this year sans an injury to Clement. I think he'll settle back into ~30% of the snaps and ~10 touches a game.

Back from the dead.  AP getting MRI on ankle.  Chris Thompson maybe out.

I know its not sexy, but this guy might be a feature back Thursday night

Back from the dead.  AP getting MRI on ankle.  Chris Thompson maybe out.

I know its not sexy, but this guy might be a feature back Thursday night
Yep

Is anyone else rolling with him tonight? 

I've been desperate for a rb2 all year with Lamar Miller and guice out. Hines and gio just don't do much. 

So here goes. All aboard the smallwood train! 

Speaking Friday, Ron Rivera indicated that RB Wendell Smallwood would play ahead of Jaret Patterson in the J.D. McKissic role.

Rivera indicated that Smallwood would have the McKissic role, "to a degree." Smallwood is a journeyman, who is unlikely to be able to work into a large role quickly, but he does create risk of a three-man backfield this week. Still, Antonio Gibson has been a capable receiver this year and should be expected to run a majority of routes against the Raiders. Gibson has upside for an 80%+ snap share in a good matchup.

RELATED: 

Antonio Gibson

SOURCE: Matthew Paras

Dec 3, 2021, 1:14 PM ET

Users who are viewing this thread