What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Was anyone else reminded how bad Collinsworth is in the booth? (1 Viewer)

Mr Anonymous

Footballguy
The guy is good, if not great in the studio. But in the booth the man is flat-out awful. He creates his own reality and clings to it like his life depended on it. Just admit your original analysis was wrong and give the audience the correct breakdown. I remember how bad he used to be in the booth and then was pleasantly surprised by his studio work. But on the fly in the booth he flat out talks out of his rear.

Now's where 20 people tell me I'm the only one. I hope not.

Really enjoy his analysis.

He talks about the game & doesn't feel the need to attempt to crack a joke every 30 seconds.

Refreshing.

Last edited by a moderator:
He knows more than I do, so I don't mind. Kornholio on the other hand, now that was a debacle.

His delivery is dry, but his knowledge is great...I prefer guys like him to guys like Kornheiser, who watch football less than I do and only contribute one-liners.

I think he did a great job tonight. I especially like how he pointed out that Hester lined up illegally thus it appear Harris bumped him after 5 yards. That was a crucial part of the game.

All announcers say stupid things. Try an experiment and record yourself doing a live play-by-play or color commentary during one of tomorrow nights games (even better if you pick a game from next week and actually try to prepare some notes). Listen to it afterwords and report back how well you did.

Collinsworth is one of the better color guys going right now.

Piling on... thought he did a great job. Definitely learned a couple of things and he pointed out some important things that the officials missed.

He says interesting things but he is not accurate.
That's a perfect description. I'll admit they all drive me nuts. They all make so many inaccurate statements. And what gets me about him is the praise heaped on him. As witnessed in this thread. Blaming Cutlers poor game on his receivers was pathetic to me.

Al Michaels is my favorite play-by-play man, and Collinsworth might be my favorite color guy. Al is always accurate, aware of the flow of the game, and sure to correct himself if he makes an error. Collinsworth made some really good observations tonight, especially at some critical points in the game. Both men are intelligent and easy to listen to. This is a huge upgrade over anything that they usually try to throw at us in these evening games, whether it be Madden or the ESPN crew. I might be more likely to watch a game that I might otherwise pass over because of this crew calling it.

Collinsworth corrected himself about the Lovie Smith call on the fake punt and figured out that it was essentially an audible by the long snapper. That's good announcing.

For the people saying he said a lot of inaccurate things....Please tell me what they were tonight. Thanks.

That's a perfect description. I'll admit they all drive me nuts. They all make so many inaccurate statements. And what gets me about him is the praise heaped on him. As witnessed in this thread. Blaming Cutlers poor game on his receivers was pathetic to me.
No one is saying he played well, but his receivers are JUNK and were the root cause of at least 2 of those picks tonight.

collinsworth is great. i have no idea who you think is good, but i would be interested in hearing who they are.

And BTW, not only is CC good, but he's better than the 2004-2008 version of John Madden who basically mailed it in every week.

BOOM!

I can't really give Collinsworth a fair shake for what he did tonight -- I was so unaccustomed to Michaels not being immediately followed by slobbery wet, kiss filled love letters from Madden to his weekly object of desire to catch a lot of what Collinsworth did.

For not being Madden, he gets an A+. Thanks for deciding to retire, John. You should have done it when Summerall got canned. I know people loved you for their memory of your good years, but those last few years were embarrassing.

Can't watch Collinsworth now without being reminded of this
Eh, he was 25. He doesn't say he makes it with 14 year olds, just that they love him. I'm sure he has matured in 25 years -- it's either that or he has been exceptionally lucky not to have ended up in prison. But for the jailbait turn at the end, I think a lot of guys would consider him their personal hero. All of that aside, those dancing scenes were crazy funny.

Everyone can have an opinion, and rarely will I say an opinion is wrong, but this is one of those times.

+1 for Collinsworth, which puts this thread around 37-3 or thereabouts. A rout indeed.

He was spot on about Knox on the game clinching interception.And he did not blame the receivers on the three consecutive passes that were almost intercepted (third one was by Collins) in he first half.

Can't watch Collinsworth now without being reminded of this
Eh, he was 25. He doesn't say he makes it with 14 year olds, just that they love him. I'm sure he has matured in 25 years -- it's either that or he has been exceptionally lucky not to have ended up in prison. But for the jailbait turn at the end, I think a lot of guys would consider him their personal hero. All of that aside, those dancing scenes were crazy funny.
That bit is hysterical. Clearly for most people the comedy does not fly 25 years later but I find that most people are way to freaking uptight anyway.Anyone who takes that bit as anything other than tongue-in-cheek needs to get the stick out of their butt.

I think he's fine. He did a good job of pointing out when Cutler's INT's were soley the reciever's fault... and he was a pretty good WR in his day. Perfect? Is that what people want? Perfection? Not possible, not for you, not for me, not for booth men.

Anyone think Terry Bradshaw was on meds today? He sounded lke he was on morphine in the 7pm EST recap segment. He must have butchered at least 30 words/names in that segment. But Collinsworth? He was fine. No complaints here.

I thought he was good. He doesn't seem so full of himself, soas to kill the information he is trying to relate.

We don't always have to bag on every announcer not named Al Michaels.

Collinsworth corrected himself about the Lovie Smith call on the fake punt and figured out that it was essentially an audible by the long snapper. That's good announcing.
Yes... though he and Al both missed that you could see the long snapper signaling to the guy he direct snapped it to that it was coming.

The guy is good, if not great in the studio. But in the booth the man is flat-out awful. He creates his own reality and clings to it like his life depended on it. Just admit your original analysis was wrong and give the audience the correct breakdown. I remember how bad he used to be in the booth and then was pleasantly surprised by his studio work. But on the fly in the booth he flat out talks out of his rear.Now's where 20 people tell me I'm the only one. I hope not.
I think he is pretty dismal. A few examples:-his analysis of line play is poor, his comments seem forced (a couple times he gave love to Urlacher and Urlacher did not have a big roll on the play)-he does not give a good sense of game flow, this was particularly noticeable in the first-half -- his comments are kind of strained-he had a few obvious miscues (i.e. recap queued up and he missed it, Al Michaels asks where was the illegal contact and he said "in the back, one of the safeties" which seemed like a mis-fire-last season he talked out of his ### about diuretic being a steroid and then backpeddled on his position -- he made a big fuss about it being a steroid over the objection of Warren Sapp; his comments were pretty costly since they were made in front of a big audience they created a lot of pressure on the NFL to suspend the williamses-he does not have good commentary on defensive play-calling, game-plan; his comments were "defense is going to be important to this team"Chris has a great voice, and good presence, but he diminishes my appreciation of the game. I found him distracting.

I really don't like him in the booth. He talked about all the pressure on Cutler, and how he hadn't been sacked, ecept for the safety at one point. Wrong team. And he always comes off a so full of himself.

While Madden was a shell of his former self, I think I'd rather have him.

Users who are viewing this thread