What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Vick Ballard (1 Viewer)

Donald Brown (knee) was downgraded to out in Thursday's practice.Brown was a full-go on Wednesday, and entirely absent from the Week 9 injury report. That would suggest he pulled up lame in Wednesday's practice, but it's quite possible the Colts are just managing his reps after he returned from a two-week absence on Sunday. Brown's Week 9 availability should no longer be taken for granted, but it wouldn't be wise to simply assume he's out. His status will be updated no later than Friday afternoon.
:popcorn:

Too bad they're playing MIA. IMO Ballard would still be just a flex play even if Brown sat. Still, interesting none the less.

It is important to note however that MIA has softened a bit in the last three weeks. A good tool to use for comparison is Shonne Green.

In week 3 he ran for 40 yards on 19 carries (2.1 YPC) and caught 2 balls for 9 yards.

Last week he ran for 77 yards on 15 carries (5.1 YPC) and caught 2 balls for 29 yards.

I think these stats are a product of both Greene turning a corner and MIA easing up a bit. If Brown sits, we'll see what Ballard can do.

Does anyone know if Brown is out that if Ballard would get most of the reps or split with carter?

Does anyone know if Brown is out that if Ballard would get most of the reps or split with carter?
He has gained the confidence of the coaches. If Brown were out Ballard would be the clear starter but Carter would get some play, not any different than the game vs Cleveland with the only difference being Moore is gone now. In that game Ballard saw 56% of the snaps, Carter 26% and Moore 15%. so without Moore it probabaly would be about 65%-35% for Ballard over Carter.I almost dropped Ballard in a redraft this week but at the last second I decided to hold onto him for another week and now glad I did.

Last edited by a moderator:
Brown has swelling in his knee and has been downgraded to Questionable and at the this point looks like a Game Time Decision or worse. If he doesn't play this week it could be possible another scope is in the near future for Brown.

If Brown is out this week I may have to play Ballard over Fred Jackson.

Just keep in mind that even if Brown doesn't play, this is a tough matchup for Ballard. Miami has the third ranked rush D, checking in at 82 yards per game and 3 scores given up all year on the ground.

Still, someone getting the bulk of the carries would be worth a desperation flex.

Just keep in mind that even if Brown doesn't play, this is a tough matchup for Ballard. Miami has the third ranked rush D, checking in at 82 yards per game and 3 scores given up all year on the ground.Still, someone getting the bulk of the carries would be worth a desperation flex.
Yeah I know. Fred Jackson also has a tough matchup(Houston) and is a clear timeshare. Also, Miami has not been quite as stout recently. If Brown plays neither him or Ballard are playable this week IMO but if he is out, Ballard is a RB2/Flex play who might be good for 70-80 combined yards and perhaps a TD.

Just announced on rotoworld that Donald Brown is likely out. It will be interesting to see where this story goes from here as sometimes knee scopes need longer to recover from and Brown may need more off time and eventually another knee scope. The swelling could be something that lingers for Brown unless they shut him down for a few weeks.

For Ballard owners, who are you starting him over and does it make sense to drop an injured player (Dwyer, Mendenhall, etc) for him at this point? Does he have value the ROS?

For Ballard owners, who are you starting him over and does it make sense to drop an injured player (Dwyer, Mendenhall, etc) for him at this point? Does he have value the ROS?
I'm starting him over Fred Jackson today if the Brown news is confirmed. The Pittsburgh situation is pretty hard to gauge right now but I'd rather have him than the those two guys right now as it will likely be a real platoon situation between those two when they do get healthy.

Trying to decide between him and James Jones for my flex spot.

Deciding in non ppr between Ballard,Redman and ShortsI'd hate to get caught with my Shorts down (or on my bench).

I plugged him in over Alex Green but that was an easy decision. Now I am trying to decide if I plug him in over Spiller and even CJ.

Well another workmanlike day for Ballard. 97 combined yards against a tough D and a nice run at the end to ice the game for the Colts. Brown tried to play but quickly exited and with a short week I would imagine Ballard will likely lead the backfield again against the Jags on Thursday and looks like a solid RB2 for that game.

He keeps on churning out a decent week, but it doesn't seem to happen until late in the game. Do you think he will still split carries if Brown can ever get healthy?

He keeps on churning out a decent week, but it doesn't seem to happen until late in the game. Do you think he will still split carries if Brown can ever get healthy?
When Brown has been out, it seems like Ballard has also been losing some carries to Delone Carter during the course of the game. Perhaps due to limited effectiveness during the bulk of the game.Can easily see a timeshare going forward between Brown and Ballard. Maybe even Carter in short yardage/at the stripe.

There's some dissenting info about whether Brown reaggravated the knee or hurt his hip. Either way I think it's positive news for Ballard. Totaling 97 yards against Miami is pretty good.

Brown officially listed as questionable, per Rotoworld

Ballard makes a solid flex play.

I'm on board for Thursday. Ballard has show flashes of brilliance this year, mostly towards the end of games. It may be a case of fresh legs, but he doesn't seem to wear down as the game progresses.

I'm not going to play either ahead of rashad Jennings or Arian Foster this week, but should I drop Brown for Ballard for the future?

I'm on board for Thursday. Ballard has show flashes of brilliance this year, mostly towards the end of games. It may be a case of fresh legs, but he doesn't seem to wear down as the game progresses.
I've noticed this as well that virtually all of his production has come at the end of the game. The TD in overtime was sort of a fluke. I'm just not sure how much you can trust him yet, we'll see. It would nice if he is getting consistent yardage during the course of the game rather than assuming there will be a final drive that eats up the clock with a bunch of handoffs.

Starting him in 3 leagues. Over Reggie Bush in PPR. Over Ridley in another. Injuries have hurt, but I think Ballard is in for a good stat line this week. Carter will only garner a few carries.

well i have no choice but to start him with sproles still out over the likes of quizz, joique bell, a hurt ben tate, among others. :wall:

i guess its a good thing he will get some volume or else i wouldnt even know what to do :shrug:

Starting him in 3 leagues. Over Reggie Bush in PPR. Over Ridley in another. Injuries have hurt, but I think Ballard is in for a good stat line this week. Carter will only garner a few carries.
Really? Over Ridley? Guess we wont know till sunday if thats super idiotic or genius. I cant see Ballard going over 15 pts even if he gets 20 touches. Ridleys floor is probably 15 pts against the Bills and i predict a 25 pt outing for him.

Starting him over Mathews. Tired of Norvs crap.
Same here, Mathews situation is a mess.Ballard should see 20 touches and maybe 100 total yards and a TD. Thats good enough for me.Mathews will get 60 yards and be out on every 3rd down and GL situation.

Starting Ballard in one league for Morris' bye, but I would probably start him based on matchups, especially with Brown not practicing yet. I think Jax may be an easier win for Indy, so I could see them not rushing Brown back even if he is active.

'Fireballer said:
'Ketamine Dreams said:
Really? Over Ridley? Guess we wont know till sunday if thats super idiotic or genius. I cant see Ballard going over 15 pts even if he gets 20 touches. Ridleys floor is probably 15 pts against the Bills and i predict a 25 pt outing for him.
Agree and though I think Ballard is a solid play I wouldnt sit Bush for him going against the Titans.

'bubleeshaark said:
I'm not going to play either ahead of rashad Jennings or Arian Foster this week, but should I drop Brown for Ballard for the future?
I would certainly play Ballard over Jennings,I'm not sure what all the hype is about Jennings? He's not really shown anything.

'bubleeshaark said:
I would certainly play Ballard over Jennings,I'm not sure what all the hype is about Jennings? He's not really shown anything.
Jennings has put up 23, 15 and 10 Points consec weeks in PPR against OAK, GB, and DET. Seems like he performs as expected against the competition... I think IND is a much better matchup that last 2 weeks and give him a good shot at 15-20 points. He catches a lot of passes, and is the only RB JAX plays. MIller has even a better matchup.. and if The DOnald is out, I think a great play. Personally I think it is a close call. Also, I did drop "The Donald" this week (over Miller), since I needed the roster spot. I have a hard time holding onto Brown, as he has not looked that good this year.

Users who are viewing this thread