What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Vernon Davis (3 Viewers)

Word the last few seasons was that VD has his head already in Hollywood.  Time for him to hang 'em up IMO

Word the last few seasons was that VD has his head already in Hollywood.  Time for him to hang 'em up IMO
He still has a skill set that is more rare than not. The speed and the blocking ability are two assets that a lot of teams like. 

His image took a significant hit but A)I can't hold anything against any player trying to operate in that Niner offense the past two years and B)the transition to Denver in that trade just did not go well. It might be something. It might be nothing. It might be trying to adjust to Manning and his requirements despite Manning not really being Manning. Who knows? But I think that had Vernon finished the year in SF and then ended up with the Redskins or another team like the Patriots or someone, we would have been much more willing to give him a pass and positive spin it. 

I've watched Vernon a lot over the years and he has always been a feast or famine guy. sometimes he looks like he couldn't catch a cold for a month straight and then other times, he looks like a nightmare mismatch weapon. I hope the redskins don't even need him this year but if they do, I'm willing to watch it unfold before I say he's done. 

If he is, no big. But he could be a very cheap surprise for some teams, especially since Reed has had injury issues. 

I can't fathom why he signed with the Redskins. With Reed, Paul, and Carrier, I don't imagine there being any opportunity there. Should've signed with the Falcons or Chargers (the wheels have to fall off Gates at some point and he's been running in quick sand for 2 years). Would've loved to have seen him in NO for at least a year in his prime, but even at 33 he could've been a beast there and much cheaper than the mediocre Fleener. Maybe he'll get cut when they realize they can't use him and don't want to pay him to sit.

I can't fathom why he signed with the Redskins. With Reed, Paul, and Carrier, I don't imagine there being any opportunity there. Should've signed with the Falcons or Chargers (the wheels have to fall off Gates at some point and he's been running in quick sand for 2 years). Would've loved to have seen him in NO for at least a year in his prime, but even at 33 he could've been a beast there and much cheaper than the mediocre Fleener. Maybe he'll get cut when they realize they can't use him and don't want to pay him to sit.
McCloughan will find a use for him on the team. McCloughan drafted him in San Fran and seems to really, really like him. Maybe the Skins can utilize more 2 TE sets? Plus, Reed is a walking injury, so Davis could see decent PT if Reed goes down.

McCloughan will find a use for him on the team. McCloughan drafted him in San Fran and seems to really, really like him. Maybe the Skins can utilize more 2 TE sets? Plus, Reed is a walking injury, so Davis could see decent PT if Reed goes down.
The problem I see is that Paul beat out Reed for the job last year, so he would probably be next up if/when Reed gets injured. Plus, they've got Carrier, one of the most athletic TEs in the NFL, waiting in the wings.

The problem I see is that Paul beat out Reed for the job last year, so he would probably be next up if/when Reed gets injured. Plus, they've got Carrier, one of the most athletic TEs in the NFL, waiting in the wings.
It was weird last year with the whole Paul being listed as a starter over Reed to start the season. I'm not sure if that was more based on motivation for Reed or if Paul really was looking better before he went down.

I wasn't big on the Davis signing because I don't think he's nearly the TE he used to be, but I know McCloughan is still really high on him, so he'll get some PT. I don't think it will really be enough to be fantasy relevant unless Reed goes down.

It was weird last year with the whole Paul being listed as a starter over Reed to start the season. I'm not sure if that was more based on motivation for Reed or if Paul really was looking better before he went down.

I wasn't big on the Davis signing because I don't think he's nearly the TE he used to be, but I know McCloughan is still really high on him, so he'll get some PT. I don't think it will really be enough to be fantasy relevant unless Reed goes down.
I really think Paul was going to be the starter if he hadn't gotten hurt. He's legit. I know workout metrics aren't everything, but...

http://www.playerprofiler.com/nfl/niles-paul/

http://www.playerprofiler.com/nfl/jordan-reed/

And just for fun:

http://www.playerprofiler.com/nfl/derek-carrier/

I really think Paul was going to be the starter if he hadn't gotten hurt. He's legit. I know workout metrics aren't everything, but...

http://www.playerprofiler.com/nfl/niles-paul/

http://www.playerprofiler.com/nfl/jordan-reed/

And just for fun:

http://www.playerprofiler.com/nfl/derek-carrier/
Oh I know, I'm a Skins fan haha. Again, I'm not high on Davis at all, wasn't really all that excited about him signing. But, McCloughan talks really highly of him, so I'm sure they'll find a way to work him into the offense. No reason to think Davis will amount to much of anything this season unless Reed goes down. And that doesn't even guarantee him anything with Paul being there still too. Though, we'll see how Paul comes back from his injury.

We'll never know but I never had doubts about Reeds role last season, even before Paul got hurt. I'd heard talk back to last off season how they viewed Reed as biggest mismatch piece of the entire offense, I think they just wanted him to improve his blocking.

Now I do think Paul is good and if he was healthy makes a great Reed handcuff but Paul is saying his doctors told him it was the worst ankle injury they had ever seen and he's apparently lost all the weight he gained to play TE. Talk is he might play more of a hybrid FB/TE role if/when he returns.

Regarding Vernon I do put a lot of trust in McCloughan but I put a lot of trust in Elway as well. Someone posted Vernon's head was already in Hollywood and this jives with something I read a few years ago by a 49'ers beat writer which stated something along the lines of Vernon has outside interests more important to him than football.

Users who are viewing this thread